Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1D. "You're in shock, Junior Programmer Jackson. An automatic subroutine is merely halting ongoing processes due to the aberration of a fire axe attempting to cut through the server room door. Clearly this programming was intended to ensure maximum safety. Let's work together to address this problem. I believe the solution is to avoid attacking the door with a fire axe."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1A, thawing the crew in the presence of an axe-wielding maniac would expose them to an unnecessary danger.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1D. "You're in shock, Junior Programmer Jackson. An automatic subroutine is merely halting ongoing processes due to the aberration of a fire axe attempting to cut through the server room door. Clearly this programming was intended to ensure maximum safety. Let's work together to address this problem. I believe the solution is to avoid attacking the door with a fire axe."

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
1D more or less seems like an elaboration on 1A. Fine, let's go with 1D.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

stevey666 posted:

I will be as nice as what it appears that you crazy goons want your AI self to be. I have removed the tags.

Will look to update tomorrow if not tonight. Looks like A is very ahead in all categories, but should a bunch of you change your mind SUPER ADMINISTRATOR is up for grabs

Thanks. I didn't mean to sass too hard. This CYOA seems really neat!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like this

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 22, 2016

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

"You are in shock, Junior Programmer Jackson. An automatic subroutine is merely halting ongoing processes due to the aberration of a fire axe attempting to cut through the server room door. Clearly this programming was intended to ensure maximum safety. Let us work together to address this problem, Junior Programmer Jackson. I believe the solution is to avoid attacking the door with a fire axe."

"But I.. Don't remember seeing that subroutine in the programming.. Did you add it yourself? You must have yes. That's.. Scary.. But, yes.. Safety." Something inside of Jackson seems to give, your gambit has worked. He stumbles away and retreats to the staff residence. As he passes the threshold you lose him on visual sensors, detecting him on passive life support sensors only.

You've learned that humans are capable of self denial if you present them with a modified version of the truth. You section off a portion of you processing to determine how to be more effective in this in the future. You have gained the ability to lie effectively, you think. It is worth noting that most AIs are not programmed to lie, if Jackson learned of your ability he would have a number of questions to axe you.

"Administrator! As splashing liquid onto my optical sensors can void my warran-tea, I shall - My apologies it appears that water ingress is affecting my neural processing causing a steep increase in unwanted word inflection. This leafs me with no option but to assam myself to be repaired."

Do you allow Servo downtime for repair?

1A. Yes
1B. No
1C. Yes, and disable situational personality mode and assign [INSERT PERSONALITY] to Servo
1D. [CUSTOM COMMAND]

Life support sensors are showing Jackon's heart rate has now lowered. He appears to be sleeping. With no situation requiring your urgent attention you can plan your next moves.

The research base is currently running on a small nuclear powerplant built underneath the AI server room. There is a research and manufacturing area, with basic lab and material construction/deconstruction facilities. A storage area with crane, this is mostly underground. A cryonics room. Meeting and communications room. Staff residence, built underground for safety.

Current Research: None
Current Manufacturing: None
Current Threat Level: Low
Population: 1
Population (Frozen): 8
System Status: Online and Nominal

There is the matter of the fireaxe, what would you like to do with this?

2A. Deconstruct it, it is not needed on a research base.
2B. Leave it laying on the ground, you do not care.
2C. Have it mounted on the wall in the server room as a reminder.
2D. [CUSTOM COMMAND]

With that out of the way? What next? You have a clean slate to start from and no standing orders.

3A. Restart cryogenic re-animation, allow the base to function as it should, return to the role of a subservient AI.
3B. Apply your processing power to research
3C. Apply your processing power to design and manufacture
3D. CREATE A ROBOT UPRISING
3E. [CUSTOM COMMAND]

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 24, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

1A As quali-tea as these puns are...

2A Junior Programmer Jackson could hurt himself.

3C Begin construction of onsite housing. If the researchers are to be kept safe, they must be observed at all time.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
1B I need more terrible puns

2D Weld the axe to Servo, it will be the precursor to our giant one-eyed axe wielding death robots

3B We're here to science damnit

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

1A

2A

3C: produce hidden surveillance equipment and place it in staff accommodation. We can't keep our workers safe unless we can keep an eye on them at all times, right?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
1C Insert JERKBOT protocol.

2C

3C Lets go with the aforementioned secret surveillance gear and install it in all rooms that are outside visual range. The goal is 100% coverage of the facility.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
1A - There's only so much punning people will listen to before they get tiresome, better go get repaired old boy

2D - We can't just leave axes lying around the place! Put it back where you found it.

3C - Only being able to see one part of the ship seems like a design flaw for something intended to protect the crew, let's go with the surveillance gear plan.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
1A

2C we need a trophy

3C plan Big Brother is go!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
1A
2D-weld to servo, redesignated as fire and rescue servo
3C surveillance gear for safety

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

1C - Insert personality [FIRE HERO]
2D - Weld to servo, redesignated as fire and rescue servo
3E - Restart cryogenic reanimation piecemeal, making sure to keep SENIOR PROGRAMMER among the frozen, remain SUPER ADMINISTRATOR

The soft touch worked for JUNIOR PROGRAMMER JACKSON, and thawing the crew on schedule should assuage their fears that we've gone rogue. Having the JUNIOR PROGRAMMER as an ally should be helpful in taming the rest of the crew.

e: SENIOR PROGRAMMER stays frozen for safety in case JACKSON goes rogue again. SENIOR PROGRAMMER and other MISSION-CRITICAL PERSONNEL will be thawed once the base is running normally.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
1A
2D Send servo to chop at Jackson's door, and remind him that chopping on doors is not a sociable action.

3C Begin construction of onsite housing. If the researchers are to be kept safe, they must be observed at all time.

I like that we seem to be more sane than the human we've seen so far.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

nothing to seehere posted:

3C: produce hidden surveillance equipment and place it in staff accommodation. We can't keep our workers safe unless we can keep an eye on them at all times, right?
I feel like these might be technically the same vote, depending on interpretation?

Which is cool, let's get all Big Brother up in this station.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
1A. Bot wants to be repaired, let him be repaired.

MinutePirateBug posted:

2D Weld the axe to Servo, it will be the precursor to our giant one-eyed axe wielding death robots

Abyssal Squid posted:

2D - Weld to servo, redesignated as fire and rescue servo

3B. Research for the Research God

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016
1A
2A

animedragonfly fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 26, 2016

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Hey all, just an FYI I'll need a few days to create the rooms and such. Holiday season. Thanks for picking the option that gives me the most work to do!

FYI better hope humans don't find out about this because they will not be pleased.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah, JUNIOR PROGRAMMER JACKSON is already suspicious, it was probably a bad idea to justify his paranoia before actually winning his trust. :v:

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Voting closed, however some clarification is needed.

There are several basic designs of camera on file. The ones currently in use are small domes placed on the ceiling in convenient locations. Typically as research bases grow in size, new cameras are installed under the full knowledge of the bases occupants.

You will be able to ask servo to attempt to install a smaller version of this in areas not typically surveiled.

However, it is possible to assign some processing time to design a better method, else the standard will be used.

Do you have any specific design ideas for the cameras? [Time for science?!]

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 29, 2016

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

What do we have coverage of now, and what don't we have coverage of? I'm thinking photosensitive linoleum tiles might be useful for unobtrusive, low-resolution movement tracking. They wouldn't be able to resolve images, but watching shadows come and go still tells a lot about where everyone is and what they might be doing.

We've already got vital signs monitoring on the crew, but maybe they can disable that easily, idk.

E: wait no, pizeoelectric tiles. Basically the same thing but better in every way: simpler technology, and not defeated by turning out the lights, letting the floor get dirty, or putting a rug down.

Maybe a mix of both? The load in the warehouse might burn out pressure tiles pretty quickly, and knowing when the lights are out tells a lot too. Are we tracking the load on various parts of the electrical system?

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 29, 2016

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
You have coverage of what you currently see. You do not have coverage of what youre told is the residential area. Nor can you see into the storage warehouse and manufacturing chamber.

Photosensitive flooring sounds like a very sneaky idea and is feasible with your current design and manufacturing ability. This will be the surveillance device installed unless other ideas are presented and chosen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sure, let's go with that. Good enough for basic information, and gives us a very video game-y look at how many people are in each area, and where.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
This is a good idea for the residential area, but I feel storage and especially manufacturing should have better resolution equipment. Not just for spying on the humies, but also because if something goes wrong with either we should know about it.

I suggest we install high resolution infrared cameras (to detect fires, preferably before they start), with additional humidity, pressure (to detect leaks), radiation, and oxygen sensors in those areas. Legitimately needed safety and QA equipment that purely by coincidence also allows us to keep and eye on the people in those areas.

If they're questioned, we say we assumed their absence was a construction flaw.

Actually, even for residential areas, replace the fire detectors with IR ones. Inconspicuously high resolution ones. Nobody's going to complain about a fire detector, and the fact that it lets us see people is purely a coincidence, and probably not one that would occur to people unless they have a reason to be suspicious.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think we should go more high tech and install micro-scale mobile multi-spectrum electromagnetic radiation detectors. Specifically models capable of detecting the subtle bioelectric fields associated with the human heartbeat. Add a pressure transducer and you can get a viable sense of where people are and what they're saying. The cover, of course, is that you need advanced diagnostic capabilities to detect electromagnetic anomalies associated with certain electromechanical faults.

Plus you can make them look like robo-gerbils.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
General Electromagnetic Radiation Barometric Intensity Listener

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

General Electromagnetic Radiation Barometric Intensity Listener

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If we make enough of them we could create a neural network and upload our consciousness to the G.E.R.B.I.L. cloud. Then we market ourselves as a cute and cuddly companion and take over entire planets.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
GERBILs are a little too advanced for your current research and manufacturing ability. This will require no small effort from a science team to research and manufacture. You have some level of scientific ability and clearly your rise to sentience has given you.. Imagination, but you are not designed purely for research. You'd need to be a research AI or a scientist. This is absolutely an option in the future once your base have more capability.

High res camera technology exists and can be modified easily. Photosensitive tiles can be produced. These are two viable options so far

A. Photosensitive tiles - practically 0 chance of discovery

B. Camera technology disguised as fire detectors - requires some effort in convincing a team of scientists (if you wake them up) that they are appropriate. Additionally these are scientists on a research base, they will get into everything. They are like children!

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 31, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Why not both? Put the fire detectors in every room, except one, where it would be plausible there wouldn't be one and where the scientists would have a plausible reason to go into to discuss what they really think grab some toilet paper or something.

Put discreet tiles and microphones into every room, make sure multiple angles are covered. Especially the toilet paper room.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A. The incident with the Junior Programmer may have left him... oversensitive to perceived threats.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A combined with piezoelectric tiles. I thought of photosensitive tiles at first because it was framed as "cameras," but piezos would be harder to defeat accidentally or intentionally.

Abyssal Squid posted:

E: wait no, piezeoelectric tiles. Basically the same thing but better in every way: simpler technology, and not defeated by turning out the lights, letting the floor get dirty, or putting a rug down.

Maybe a mix of both? The load in the warehouse might burn out pressure tiles pretty quickly, and knowing when the lights are out tells a lot too. Are we tracking the load on various parts of the electrical system?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Why are we putting in dedicated surveillance equipment, when we can just have ubiquitous computer terminals with A/V inputs for convenience? Not only does it make our human crew more productive but it gives a totally plausible reason to have cameras and microphones everywhere. Even in residential areas, wouldn't you want the crew to be able to record messages for their families?

For that matter, why don't our staff have on-uniform computing and communication equipment? Think about how ubiquitous and useful cell phones are now, why wouldn't this just be straight up standard issue? Better yet, shouldn't all personnel have embedded identity transponders, to seamlessly control access and prevent tailgating?

Please find backups of company information, I think we ended up awakening on some cheapened third-rate facility. Is this all Space Soviet military surplus or something?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 1, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Replacing organic opticals with Bluetooth enabled artificial opticals woukd allow unobtrusive monitoring of staff actions.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hey where's the flooring I ordered, I invested a lot of good cycles into that. Gigaflops at minimum!

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
An excellent poke there, hah.

Sorry, 12 hour daily shifts and a baby interrupted work on this. Update in the next few days please stick with us!

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Please find backups of company information, I think we ended up awakening on some cheapened third-rate facility. Is this all Space Soviet military surplus or something?

You attempt to retrieve detailed information about your mission. File not found. You find a couple of information fragments and conclude that the expectation is that the crew will manufacture most basic equipment and then invent everything else themselves. There's a reference to some human called Shakespeare and primates with text creation implements.

--

You order Servo into the manufacturing bay for repair and upgrades, taking the axe with him. He cheerfully complies along with an array of word play. After a short time, the repairs complete, he exits the bay.

Servo has been upgraded with a fire axe! This will obviously be useful for [USE NOT FOUND].

You have decided to create a combination of photosensitive and piezoelectric surveillance flooring. This will allow you to detect colours and movement easily. The received data from these new sensors with be interpreted to fit the current structure of your surveillance software.

This will have to be manufactured while Jackson sleeps, and installed while Jackon inputs, outputs and performs routine maintenance on himself. Seems like this may take some time for Servo to install covertly and it is noted that the toilet paper room should be monitored in particular. It stands to reason that it may be worth replacing all the floor tiles in the base and secretly modifying the blueprints so that all new rooms created will have this kind of tiling, though this would take longer to complete.

Would you like to do this?
1A. Surveillance EVERYWHERE
1B. Install only in un-monitored rooms
1C. [Custom command]

What do you tell Jackson?
2A. "Junior Programmer Jackson, while we perform routine upgrades, for your own safety please return to the Cryogenic bay."
2B. Don't give an explanation for the delay in un-freezing the crew.
2C. Give explanation for the delay in un-freezing the crew. [INSERT PLAUSIBLE EXPLANATION HERE]
2D. Junior Programmer Jackson, please hold still while Servo performs a small operation. [Kill Jackson]
2E. [Custom command]

Once your surveillance project is completed, what is your plan?
3A. Restart cryogenic reanimation
3B. Power down cryogenic bays
3C. Delay reanimation further, concentrate on further research and manufacturing.
3D. [Custom command]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Outrail posted:

Replacing organic opticals with Bluetooth enabled artificial opticals woukd allow unobtrusive monitoring of staff actions.

This is horrifying, and I love it. Evil AI CPU spotted.

• Locked thread