Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

mishaq posted:

just use the cloud

my free trial with aws already ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i remember using lighttpd when i was 16

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does anyone else remember xitami web server? i dont know why i used it when i was in high school

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I remember reading the Internet Draft for HTTP and thinking about how to implement it using MacTCP

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

kimsufi.ie and the greater ovh options are good for the cost

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

crusader_complex posted:

my favorite provider has on-demand dedicated hosts, that go stand around naked in a dark room when im not being billed

same for the second part

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
caddy is written in go, the fashionable language. it's faster than nginx too!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when i dared mention go a year ago that autistic fireflies guy had an intense and extremely prolonged butthurt baby meltdown about it lol

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol if u aren't just running everything on an R710 in your basement that you picked up for $75

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
ovh/kimsufi you loving idiot

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
linode suits my needs

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Ion Mage posted:

I've been working with a small startup, which is aiming to create a phone app similar to uber. Currently, everything is still run on a single server. That is, both our website, as well as the server-side service that our app uses. The guy who originally set this server up has since left, well before I was onboard, so I never even met the guy. I have been hired to be the tech guy in his stead. Point is, I'm admin to a system which I did not set up myself, and for which I am the ONLY admin. Any technical questions I have need to be answered by myself alone. Even the guys making the app itself have little involvement with this server.

A few weeks ago, I had to install a new SSL certificate for our website, as the old one was due to expire. In order to do this, I ran into some technical issues and ultimately had to resort to running windows update to resolve them. There were over 200 updates to be installed, with the last update being over a year ago. This resolved the issue. This is a windows server 2012 R2 system.

A few days later, our website went down. Only the website. Our app's service was uninterrupted, and I was able to remote into the system as well. Once remoted in, I saw nothing wrong. We ultimately tried rebooting the system, and that worked. Subsequent searches of the event viewer and other logs turned up nothing to explain the outage.

This has recurred every few days. Once occurred at 2 AM, while I was asleep, and that let us observe that the problem self-resolved somehow. After about 45 minutes, the website went back up, with no human intervention.

There is no set time in which this happens. Its happened at various points in time, so I don't think its the side effect of any regularly scheduled thing.

The closest I can come up with is that server manager's logs had a sizable chain of ASP.net events throwing unhandled exceptions.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, there were a lot of updates that got installed, I suspect that one of them has thrown something off, but at 200 updates, pinpointing the right one is difficult, and thats assuming that is even the cause.
I doubt its the recently installed SSL certificate, if that was bad then people would be getting unsigned certificate warnings or somesuch, yes? I don't see why such a thing would outright bring down a web page

The site is running on IIS 8.5. The actual physical server is hosted by 1and1 hosting. The fact that the app's service was still working, as was the (interrelated) SQL service would indicate strongly that its not a hardware issue.

quote:

The actual physical server is hosted by 1and1 hosting.
Best of luck with that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jre posted:

Best of luck with that

haha jfc at everything in that post

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
apisnetworks is excellent. there's a sa-mart thread but go find it yourself

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows server LOL

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
god speed ion mage ghost

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Lmao at Endurance International Group-owned hosting companies

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

...BlueFur...is that hosting but for furries?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

atomicthumbs posted:

a hosting company i was happy with for eight years got bought by eig and instantly turned to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i think i'm gonna move to ovh i just need to figure out how to get all my vms over there safely

• Locked thread