Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

As is traditional, I'm handing out gifts on my birthday. Add me, and write the game up in the thread / ride the gift train in return.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sent you an add as BurritoJustice, I'll chuck something on the train

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I am also curious about this.

Mad Max for less than $7 is a steal. It's a little repetitive but it's gorgeous and fits the theme perfectly.

If Mad Max were a T-Shirt, it would be sized extra-medium. It's the epitome of :geno: v i d e o g a m e, which isn't to say it's bad, but it's like the default of what videogames are in the mid-teens: open-world, collectibles, rhythm punch combat.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jagged Jim posted:

Oh wow, the complete edition of Alien: Isolation is actually cheaper than the base game. :psyduck:

*Breaks into room*

DID SOMEONE SAY ALIEN: ISOLATION?

Yeah, some bundle/complete editions have really weird pricing. Borderlands Pre-Sequel never got a price cut over here; it's still 60 bucks for the base game alone, so even with the 70% discount it comes to $17.99... but I can just grab the "Take Over Your Life" Bundle and get Pre-Sequel for $6.66. Even if I didn't have the other games in the bundle, it would cost me $23.28 for the whole bundle, so for an extra ~5.50 I could get 4 games instead of just pre-sequel.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

If Mad Max were a T-Shirt, it would be sized extra-medium. It's the epitome of :geno: v i d e o g a m e, which isn't to say it's bad, but it's like the default of what videogames are in the mid-teens: open-world, collectibles, rhythm punch combat.

Pretty much, yeah. I liked Mad Max well enough, and I believe that anybody would get at least $7 worth of enjoyment out of it, but it's repetitive as balls and you'll go insane if you try and 100% it. That being said, it's utterly beautiful and the car combat can be lots of fun (once you get the Thunderpoon, just play story missions until you unlock it).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mercy's Medical Services rehabilitative interactive activities list!

These are games that aren't less than a dollar, but are really, really good and what is wrong with you if you don't get them:

This War Of Mine: Ughhh. It's a brutal, unflinching survival game about being a civilian stuck in a Call of Duty game. There's DLC to let you donate to war orphans. $4
Habitat: The best "tie a tyrannosaurus head and a Hot Dog Stand to the Statue of Liberty and tool around LEO until aliens show up to blow you up" simulator on the market. $4
Guacamelee!: This has been in its fair share of bundles, but if you haven't yet, this is the most fun Metroidvania in years, mostly because it doesn't use a tiny 1-square sprite moving around single screens but giant, gorgeous sprites. It's genuinely funny, too. $6
Zigguraut: Remember Heretic? Yeah ya do. Now take all the best arena-shooter parts of Heretic, put it in a wave-attack procedurally-generated world, and add leaderboards. That's the good stuff. $5 for the chance there might be multiplayer someday is worth the gamble.
Depth: It's Counter-strike. With Sharks. You play as the sharks. Eat the divers! $6
A Boy and His Blob: Press 'Y' to Hug :3: $2.50

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 23, 2016

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Any good building games, light on violence, that a typical 10 year old might be expected to grasp? Scrap Mechanic looks great, but I'm worried it's too complex based on screenshots.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Xander77 gifted me a game called Better Late Than DEAD. Being a man of my word and already having gone a couple rounds on the Gift Train, here is my review.

The game opens up with some paintings of some robed dues throwing a coffin off a ship. A narrator, certainly one of our own dear goons who convinced himself he could become an anime voice actor one day, tells us of his journey as he wakes up surrounded by sharks. "Who am I?" he asks as he stares longingly at a photo of a child or perhaps a rather large potato. His beards grows ferociously during this monologue, like a gift from Poseidon himself in those troubled times.

Finally, you land on the beach and the game begins. Or at least tries to begin. Despite having played modded Skyrim for ages, my poor GTX970 was no match for the graphical upheavals of 2004. As I tried to move at 12fps, I was forced to lower my settings from "Fantastic" to merely "Beautiful." There was really no mention of which of these was better, exactly, but Beautiful performed better and thus my computer's thirst for bad Steam games was sated. At least for another second. When I tried to move, the air of my hand reaching for the mouse apparently sent the screen into a full 360. I checked the mouse sensitivity, which was only on the default halfway point, but apparently our devs exist in a world where Quake III is bog standard for everything and if you don't like it then gently caress you. I took it down to about 20%, which was still really, really floaty, but playable.

There's no tutorial or anything. Sometimes a quick tooltip will show over the screen, but what those commands do, exactly, is unclear. Apparently PERCEPTION MODE is a big deal and makes interactable objects flash red on your screen, but only if you're pretty much already on top of said objects and most likely hovering over them anyway. I found out that I could run or, when used in conjunction with the sidestep keys, do the dab. Reminder that this man is Beautiful, which may or may not be a step down from Fantastic. I wandered about for a bit, but fairly quickly because night was coming soon, and I had to worry about Thirst and Hunger meters. Since the game only gave me three pieces of fruit and one bottle of water, I needed to find something soon!

Bear in mind that, while all of this happening, the worst of all John Carpenter 80s Synth soundtracks is playing above you. Not, like, a whole soundtrack. Just one track of *~spooky synth~* anytime you go near an area that might contain clues (they do not contain clues).

Night came, and I still did not find any water or fruit, despite finding what was apparently once a secret lab (NOT a hotel as one ominous letter I found had explained). Apparently none of the trees had fruit either. One of the videos on the store page explicitly showed players picking at sticks to create fire and for crafting hunting materials. Or at least they showed one stick. I did not find this stick, or any animals! Or so I thought. After wandering about for a bit more and somehow equipping a lead pipe I found, the screen flashed with a "Press F to Lock On To Your Target!" warning! I pressed F. It did not seem to lock onto anything. A wolf appeared so I pressed F again. The dog killed me.

Feeling a renewed sense of survival, I started again and went to another location. There are three islands in the game. I swam to another one, found some houses, and immediately fell into a pit I could not leave. Not even a pit, really. Just the square part of a dock.

Eventually, I learned that you can crouch and, after a scouring the walls, made my escape back into the ocean. I noticed there were some objects waaaaay out in the ocean and decided to give those a go. But when I got near them, they completely disappeared?

Also notice that ghosting shadow. Brilliant.

At that point, I'd had enough of John Carpenter and swimming, so I left the game. Apparently you can play online and work with others to solve the mystery of the island or maybe kill each other if you can ever get F to actually lock onto things. I tried it again with a bird. It didn't work.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 23, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Are Broken Age and Massive Chalice any decent?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

B-Mac posted:

Are Broken Age and Massive Chalice any decent?

"Decent" is probably the best word for them, because I can't think of anyone who would gush over the finished product on each. At the dirt-cheap price that MC was earlier, at least, you may as well mess with that, but Broken Age goes off the rails in the back half.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Is Empyrion: Galactic Survival any good? Never played a game in the genre, but was looking forward to No Man's Sky and was a mixture of disappointed and smug (since I didn't end up getting it) about the massive shitstorm that followed, but somewhere along the way a bunch of people said "this is No Man's Sky but good".

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Whelp I had a bit to drink and probably got carried away with the sale and ended up with:

DOOM
Highrise Heroes
Rusty Lake Hotel
LISA
Dropsy
Pony Island
Ghost
Victor Vran
This War of Mine
Not the Robots
McPixel
One Finger Death Punch
Guacamelee

Still not too bad - under $60 for everything. Let's see if I manage to install and play even half.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Axel Serenity posted:

How is American Truck Sim, anyway? And are the controls any better for gamepads? I could never get Euro-Truck to work well with an X-Box controller without a game profiler, but I really wanna cruise up and down the Best Coast for chill times.

ATS recently had a major patch to rescale the map which has made it feel like a whole new experience. On release the biggest problem with it was lack of content: the map scaling and layout of roads combined with the time compression meant that every journey was a sprint and it wasn't as relaxing to drive. They've solved this now with the rescale and it feels much closer to ETS in being laid back. The biggest difference is that the lots and delivery points have been given more personality than in ETS, even when there wasn't much in the way of cities to visit each delivery felt different, made more so by the more challenging parking system.

At the moment there's still only three states, but the game looks beautiful and it's constantly being patched with new content. Also at the moment the game is doing it's annual Christmas deliveries challenge which will unlock some stuff in both ETS and ATS if you deliver ten loads of presents.

Control pad wise, its more or less the same as with ETS. I've had no problems with using a dualshock on it, but if you're having problems the truck sim thread normally had people in it that can help with set up.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Looking for a two-player (co-op?) game that I can play with my girlfriend. Her laptop is a non-gaming potato. It can run something like Terraria, probably. L4D2 and Portal 2 would probably also work. Any suggestions along those lines?

The Bramble posted:

Any good building games, light on violence, that a typical 10 year old might be expected to grasp? Scrap Mechanic looks great, but I'm worried it's too complex based on screenshots.

Not exactly a building game, but Stardew Valley, man. Crafting, collecting, farming. Plus it's super cute!

vivisecting fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 23, 2016

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whats the general consensus on driving/racing games on Steam? I'm hovering between Dirty Rally, Project Cars and Assetto Corsa?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Is Empyrion: Galactic Survival any good? Never played a game in the genre, but was looking forward to No Man's Sky and was a mixture of disappointed and smug (since I didn't end up getting it) about the massive shitstorm that followed, but somewhere along the way a bunch of people said "this is No Man's Sky but good".

Empyrion is good, but it's very very focused on multiplayer and being open to DayZ style screwing over other players (which you can avoid by playing with friends of course)

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

KrayG posted:

Whats the general consensus on driving/racing games on Steam? I'm hovering between Dirty Rally, Project Cars and Assetto Corsa?

Just as a note if you didn't see, GRID is available for free on humble store just now.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KrayG posted:

I don't really go for 'sim' driving games; I'm more of a Burnout/Drift around corners kinda guy, but I got Dirt Rally on a whim a while ago and it's one of the most fun and rewarding games I've played. It's amazingly good looking, the sound design is incredible, and it's just a joy when you finally manage to throw your car around a corner just right.

I mean, look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7iwGuBuJPo

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
So I'm finally working my way through Dark Souls 2, and having fun with it, but I notice I don't see many people online to help with bosses/get help. Would it be worth it to pick up Scholar of the First Sin, hoping for more MP action, or would I be better served just skipping to DS3?

Edit: vvv Doom. Get Doom.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 23, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Oh god my Steam sale budget is too small this year because I also just got a PS4. I can't decide between grabbing all the Vermintide DLC I don't own or Doom :ohdear:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SnakesRevenge posted:

So I'm finally working my way through Dark Souls 2, and having fun with it, but I notice I don't see many people online to help with bosses/get help. Would it be worth it to pick up Scholar of the First Sin, hoping for more MP action, or would I be better served just skipping to DS3?

i've been slowly playing through scholar lately and I see a lot of blood stains messages and phantoms running around. I doubt anyone still plays og ds2.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Is Castlevania Lord of Shadow worth $7.50?

Also looking for a hack n slash game. Are there any God of War type games? I already own Marlow Briggs. If you don't have Marlow Briggs most definitely get Marlow Briggs.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I remember people talking about Dishonored 2 having some massive issues with frame rate and stuff, and while I can manage to make most games work on my not-so-great computer, it sounds like that might be a deal breaker.

Have any of those bumps been ironed out, or is it still something I'd probably only be able to swing on a high end system?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Empyrion is good, but it's very very focused on multiplayer and being open to DayZ style screwing over other players (which you can avoid by playing with friends of course)

Thanks - I might give it a miss then since I was looking more for a relaxing single player sandbox. I feel like DayZ is the kind of game that looks great in amusing youtube griefing videos but would be not nearly as good to play.

Maybe The Long Dark is better for this?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Long Dark is good but it's hardcore on the survival elements and doesn't have building if that's something you're interested in.

It's purely a game about holding out in a very hostile environment where the biggest enemy is actually the weather (and the main hostile element outside of that are the wolves looking for a meal.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The criminally-underrated Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak has a pretty hefty discount this sale. It's a fantastic RTS and a worthy follow-up to the original Homeworld games, with the one caveat that the multiplayer scene is pretty dead. Still, the campaign alone is well worth the price, and I love the underlying gameplay mechanics so definitely check it out.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I'm feeling like some isometric/tactical RPG to get into during the break.

I had Shadowrun Returns and the Dragonfall Director's Cut in my library, so I started up SR:R in the DF engine per some guide, and was bored to tears. Maybe it was the combat? I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I've got my eye on Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and the Banner Sagas. Which should I try next?

Thanks - I might give it a miss then since I was looking more for a relaxing single player sandbox. I feel like DayZ is the kind of game that looks great in amusing youtube griefing videos but would be not nearly as good to play.

Check out 7 Days to Die, I've read some good things about it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Whale Cancer posted:

Is Castlevania Lord of Shadow worth $7.50?

Also looking for a hack n slash game. Are there any God of War type games? I already own Marlow Briggs. If you don't have Marlow Briggs most definitely get Marlow Briggs.

You're in luck because Lord of Shadow IS a God of War clone.

I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth $7.50

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FWIW Empyrion is really good single-player too. I've sunk almost 200 hours into it so far and haven't played multiplayer once. Building a giant fuckoff space station or battle cruiser is really satisfying. It's still kind of rough around the edges but is a great sandbox game.

Long Dark is also really good but it's not relaxing at all, it's more a "try not to freeze to death and get eaten by wolves" survival simulator.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

LordHippoman posted:

I remember people talking about Dishonored 2 having some massive issues with frame rate and stuff, and while I can manage to make most games work on my not-so-great computer, it sounds like that might be a deal breaker.

Have any of those bumps been ironed out, or is it still something I'd probably only be able to swing on a high end system?

I guess it really depends on your computer; it's still giving people a lot of trouble, myself included, but I'm able to run it with a 50 fps lock at high settings on a GTX 970 and i5-4690k. It's very cpu heavy. It's a fantastic game, though, so I recommend getting it and trying it out. You could always refund it.

e: The second level has a section on a balcony overlooking a river that really tanks the framerate. It's probably the most taxing part of the game, so you can use that as a baseline to figure out just how bad it will ever get (it will probably never be worse than that area).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I ended up finally biting on GTA V, even though I have a backlog >_<.

Mostly I'm just curious about GTA Online, but I usually enjoy the main campaign in GTA, too. It's been $30 for like the last 3 sales, so it seems like that's as cheap as it's gonna get.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Got an alert this morning that a game on my wishlist went on sale, it's time! Started browsing for stuff, put a couple games in the cart, and then, unsurprisingly, steam died.

steamstat.us said that yep, everything was down

Then it went down. e: back up now, looks like

Tis the season!

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 23, 2016

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mordja posted:

The criminally-underrated Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak has a pretty hefty discount this sale. It's a fantastic RTS and a worthy follow-up to the original Homeworld games, with the one caveat that the multiplayer scene is pretty dead. Still, the campaign alone is well worth the price, and I love the underlying gameplay mechanics so definitely check it out.

A note on this: The bundle deal of Deserts of Kharak + Homeworld Remastered is 75% off, while the Kharak is 66% off. If you previously own Homeworld Remastered, buy the bundle since the discount is greater than buying it at 66%! You only pay for Kharak itself; it was £11 v £7 for me this way!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Propagandist posted:

Anyhow, I've got my eye on Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, and the Banner Sagas. Which should I try next?

First I'd recommend scratching Wasteland 2 off that list unless you really love 80s CRPGs with most of their warts. It's a good game, but it's very aimed at a specific niche of folks who like working past obtuse stat systems. Basically it's very true to the CRPGs of two decades ago, for better or worse.

Banner Sagas are basically light tactical battles interspersed with moral decisions (only the latter can kill plot/combat characters permanently) wrapped up in an absolutely gorgeous art style.

Pillars of Eternity is a really nicely done throwback to the Infinity Engine games but be warned it starts really, really slow and does seem to like having filler fights that are still life and death situations. If you want something that plays how you remember BG2 playing, get this.

Divinity Original Sin is an odd beast. It has one of the most fun combat systems I've played ever that heavily carries over into the non-combat areas of the game (most of the rules involving elements apply outside of combat as well, and all spells can be used anywhere.) The story is nothing special, but there is a certain charm to a lot of it. Of the list it's probably the one I'd recommend the most.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Are players still pissed at X-com 2 or have patches solved some of the issues? I want to buy it because I liked the first one (and it stopped working for some reason, so I uninstalled it...), but the disparity between review ratings and angry Steam/metacritic users is pretty big. Also not sure about that timer issue, I prefer to play games the way the creators intended it instead of modding. I enjoyed the first game playing "normal" difficulty on ironman, is that a viable path to go now with this game (assuming no mods installed)?

Any old-fashioned and pretty Point'n clicks released this year and on sale now (not episode games, unless the whole thing is sold as one and fits together)?

If the first Tomb Raider ran like an angel on my laptop with 50-60 FPS, should I expect to be happy with Rise of the Tomb Raider as well?

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 23, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Furnaceface posted:

The problem lies in that there seems to be a skeleton crew supporting the game so patches and content are rolling out at a snails pace compared to EU4/CK2. HoI4 is also suffering from this.

Stellaris has the largest dev team of any Paradox game, iirc HOI4 is second. I think they're just doing serious overhaul stuff for them right now is the problem, so the content doesn't seem as meaningful. EU4's first 10 months or so were pretty bland too, the first expansion didn't do much.

HOI4 does seem kinda more directionless to be honest though.

RBX posted:

How do people feel about Necropolis?

Bland as hell. Gorgeous art style but very little depth or variety, and the writing isn't nearly as clever as it thinks it is. I haven't checked the price on sale but personally I don't think it's worth more than $5.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Speaking of Divinity Original Sin, how does the co-op play?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I bought it a while back, maybe two sales ago. It looks to have a lot of promise, but felt rough around the edges, so I decided to wait it out for some updates. It might be about time to check back in on it. It looks like it has a lot of promise, being able to build spaceships and space stations. The multiplayer is real key here, and I'm not sure how it shakes out.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

betamax hipster posted:

Speaking of Divinity Original Sin, how does the co-op play?
Very good, if you're always playing with the same person. Both characters save on the host's save file, so if you join someone else's game you can't use that character anywhere else.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I kinda sorta want to buy Dead by Daylight because a mate keeps talking it up, but I've also heard a lot of bad things about the community.

Any goons care to weigh in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Whale Cancer posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Transformers Devastation (Platinum Games is good at what they do)
Devil May Cry 4: SE.

Apparently the port of DMC3 wasn't very good. DMC4 SE is hilarious, by the way. Besides adding another few characters to play as, there's a difficulty mode that's more or less "two or three times the enemies spawn" and a turbo mode that just makes the game run way faster. For example.

• Locked thread