Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Avasculous posted:

Do we know why they dropped the daily deal model a year or two ago? I miss the excitement of logging in and impulse buying games I had no interest in yesterday because they're 75% off for a day instead of 20% off for 2 weeks with full price DLC.

Because the introduction of refunds make the daily deals a nightmare to deal with.

Buy Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, great Assassin's Creed, great pirate game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Avasculous posted:

Do we know why they dropped the daily deal model a year or two ago? I miss the excitement of logging in and impulse buying games I had no interest in yesterday because they're 75% off for a day instead of 20% off for 2 weeks with full price DLC.

Refunds being implemented, but sales also went up by a significant margin when they removed the daily deals. Turns out that it's better to let people buy what they want without having to worry if it will be cheaper on some other day. It stops impulsive purchases if you have to constantly think "But what if this becomes a daily deal/flash sale?".

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Whoa, abzu for ~5.50. If I loved Journey, will I like this?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lorini posted:

I play a lot of Craft The World, it should be on sale. Terraria as well. Banished, Tropico 5 also come to mind in that space.

Terraria didn't really catch my interest, but craft the world looks like 2d dwarf fortress and that seems fun. I'm gonna have a look at the sale if it happens. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

gariig posted:

GMG Winter Sale just started and don't forget WINTER10 for an extra 10% off. Someone wanted Doom for under $20 well you got it for $17.09

They have these interesting Mystery Game Bundles on offer so you buy 10, 5, 3 or 1 random games (each pack it's limited to once per account, sadly) and you also get a free random game for each purchase so I just bought I think 22 games for a little over ten dollars, but nothing really interesting. I got "Huntsman The Orphanage" three times and according to Steam reviews it's garbage. According to the testimonials on GMG you might get Titanfall 2 or Overwatch so if you have too much money, give it a shot?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Shredder posted:

I'm totally getting Thumper and Space Pirate Trainer. Hoping for good deals on Technolust, NewRetroArcade, Hot Dogs etc, Raw Data and maybe Fantastic Contraption.
I assume you meant The Climb, I'm not sure I'd be into that one especially for $25+
Expect and Superhot are on my list, will have to wait and see if they show up as a daily on the Oculus sale.
I've got Subnautica but it made me violently ill when I got my Rift back in March, maybe I'll give it another go.

I will check out your game!

Some comments:

-I have no real experience with Technolust but I'm interested if you have any nonspoilery reviews worth reading. I wasn't the biggest fan of Raw Data, personally.
-NewRetroArcade makes you rig up your own roms, so be prepared to do that.
-I did mean The Climb. There's four well-detailed mountains, each with 5 or so levels, each level with quite a few paths you could take and things to find. Quite a bit or replayability, and I went in with low expectations.
-Superhot took me ~4 hours or so, IEYTD took ~1-2 hours. Just to set your expectations.
-I don't know if Subnautica would work better for you now. I was fine in a DK1/DK2 playing for hours, but as a dev who spends too much time in VR I'm probably the exception.
-Two other games that were very much Worth It for the Vive but I don't know about their Rift support include Pierhead Arcade and Audioshield. If you haven't tried it yet, Rec Room is also free and very fun, their charades/pictionary game is really something.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
My slightly obscure steam sale recommendation is Gremlins, Inc.. It's a digital board game, yes, but it's not based on a tabletop analogue, which allows it to have more moving parts than most board games. It's relatively casual, with lots of ways to screw your opponents - or for your opponents to screw you -, but the top players are hovering around 60% win rate for 4-player matches, so skill definitely trumps luck despite the complaints in reviews. The DLC is purely cosmetic, as is the item shop. There's no grind whatsover. The play time for a match usually is around an hour, finding opponents takes 2-5 minutes, AI is actually quite decent, especially for newcomers. It's also really well balanced now after a lot of post-release support.

I have like 70 hours on it already, and it's probably is my GOTY, so ask away if you want any info about it - the more players the better as for any primarily online game.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

PlushCow posted:

Because the introduction of refunds make the daily deals a nightmare to deal with.

Buy Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, great Assassin's Creed, great pirate game.

Srice posted:

Refunds being implemented, but sales also went up by a significant margin when they removed the daily deals. Turns out that it's better to let people buy what they want without having to worry if it will be cheaper on some other day. It stops impulsive purchases if you have to constantly think "But what if this becomes a daily deal/flash sale?".

Ohhh, I didn't make the connection to refunds. Thanks.

I'm surprised sales went way up though, because it really does seem like the discounts are tangibly worse. Of course the "wait for a daily" thing was the rational approach, but since when do we expect that from customers?

For my part, I remember impulse buying a bunch of random poo poo in genres I never play like LA Noire and Assassin's Creed because they were suddenly $5, less than a year after release. I don't think I've bought anything in the last few sales.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Burning Rain posted:

My slightly obscure steam sale recommendation is Gremlins, Inc.. It's a digital board game, yes, but it's not based on a tabletop analogue, which allows it to have more moving parts than most board games. It's relatively casual, with lots of ways to screw your opponents - or for your opponents to screw you -, but the top players are hovering around 60% win rate for 4-player matches, so skill definitely trumps luck despite the complaints in reviews. The DLC is purely cosmetic, as is the item shop. There's no grind whatsover. The play time for a match usually is around an hour, finding opponents takes 2-5 minutes, AI is actually quite decent, especially for newcomers. It's also really well balanced now after a lot of post-release support.

I have like 70 hours on it already, and it's probably is my GOTY, so ask away if you want any info about it - the more players the better as for any primarily online game.

Holy poo poo, yes. This game undeservedly flew completely below the radar, and I still play it a few times a week.

It's a move-around-the-board game like Candyland or Sorry, but with a ton of strategic, skill-based play with an emphasis on planning and risk mitigation.

Despite it not selling spectacularly, the developer has done a ton of post-release support including: new cards on a monthly basis, unique powers for all of the characters, and frequent (intelligent) balance tweaks. Also a bunch of purely-cosmetic DLC.

The game also has an awesome theme, cool artwork, and great music.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Atoramos posted:

Some comments:

-I have no real experience with Technolust but I'm interested if you have any nonspoilery reviews worth reading. I wasn't the biggest fan of Raw Data, personally.
-NewRetroArcade makes you rig up your own roms, so be prepared to do that.
-I did mean The Climb. There's four well-detailed mountains, each with 5 or so levels, each level with quite a few paths you could take and things to find. Quite a bit or replayability, and I went in with low expectations.
-Superhot took me ~4 hours or so, IEYTD took ~1-2 hours. Just to set your expectations.
-I don't know if Subnautica would work better for you now. I was fine in a DK1/DK2 playing for hours, but as a dev who spends too much time in VR I'm probably the exception.
-Two other games that were very much Worth It for the Vive but I don't know about their Rift support include Pierhead Arcade and Audioshield. If you haven't tried it yet, Rec Room is also free and very fun, their charades/pictionary game is really something.

I haven't been able to find much on Technolust, I've heard it's a basic adventure game but I really like the cyberpunk setting and would like to wander around in there.

Also, Rec Room is my favorite game on the citadel. The social aspect and simplicity of the games and just throwing poo poo around is so much fun. I don't know how they plan to make money with it, but I'm 100% on board.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dishonoured 2 drops to 34.5 on GMG with the discount code. I'm seriously tempted, even though it's over 50% of my sale budget right there. unggggggggg

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Buy the Quell games, the Hexcells games, Squarelogic and Enigmatis 2 and 3.

Namaste

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's very light on the jumpscares, I remember... 1, 2 tops; it is unrelentingly tense though.

I need to put together a curated wishlist and budget myself, there's a bunch of stuff I want to get this time around.

I heard it has (Alien Isolation spoiler) facehuggers in it, are they handled like in the AvP games? Because that would push the jump scare counter way up.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Shredder posted:

I'm 100% on board.

Thinking about things, we're going to need testers with Touch quite soon. If you (or anyone else, really) would like to check out our beta feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll get you a build, likely over the weekend.

re: Abzu, I don't know why I loved Journey but didn't like Abzu much. The game is gorgeous though, really love how they blend the underwater foliage into the terrain.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 22, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Edmond Dantes posted:

Whoa, abzu for ~5.50. If I loved Journey, will I like this?

You can ride an orca

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I heard it has (Alien Isolation spoiler) facehuggers in it, are they handled like in the AvP games? Because that would push the jump scare counter way up.

I have no idea how AvP handled it to be honest, but in A:I they're only around in places with hatched eggs in them, so you should be on alert in those places. There's one that's hiding behind some boxes and can surprise you (they do the "jump in your loving face" thing though, that's kinda what they do). The game can make you jump or surprise you, but it's part of the gameplay; I meant it doesn't have jumpscares a la "monster through a window" or stuff like Outlast. In A:I you usually see what's going to eat your face coming.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I thoroughly played Alien: Isolation and very few of the scares came from the facehuggers, from what I remember. It's usually pretty obvious when they're around (and not because they're launching onto your face).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sold cards and items, got a small cash bonus lined up for this and no work at all until mid-January.

MY BODY IS READY.

Hopefully totalwarhammer will have a nice discount because it apparently rules

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

time for two hours of the steam store getting hammered and not working!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

IT'S ALIVE

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Doom 67% off, grab it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Transmetropolitan posted:

Sold cards and items, got a small cash bonus lined up for this and no work at all until mid-January.

MY BODY IS READY.

Hopefully totalwarhammer will have a nice discount because it apparently rules

I've also been waiting for a sale. 25% ain't bad.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Son of Rodney posted:

Terraria didn't really catch my interest, but craft the world looks like 2d dwarf fortress and that seems fun. I'm gonna have a look at the sale if it happens. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Available for 4,74€ so bought it is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

wtf it's 10:01.01 and the sales aren't updated :kratos:

gaben fix plz you fat knife-collecting pos

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

aaaaaand Steam crashed

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Steam Store died. Sale's over. Everybody go home.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ugh, the voting choices are so lame...

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Store pages are loading for me what the gently caress is going on.

How do we feel about the Total War Warhammer DLCs?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Palpek posted:

aaaaaand Steam crashed

And so the annual ritual continues :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Way to go, you guys. We murdered the store page. Like we do every year. :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I knew Steam died when I went to see my wishlist and noticed that only like 5 games out of 67 were on sale :v:.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

literally 80% of my wishlist isn't even on sale :saddowns:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

literally 80% of my wishlist isn't even on sale :saddowns:

Wait an hour before freaking out. The store is dying right now.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hi guys, friendly reminder that your wishlist does not automatically update to sale prices. It happens every single sale, someone has to flip some switches behind the scenes before the discounts propagate to wishlists. Give it an hour or so.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man how are the finalists in "Test of Time" Civ V, Terraria, and Skyrim? Those shits aren't even old. At least TF2 is coming up on ten years, and AoE II is genuinely old. My investment in this "Steam Awards" is compromised.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hi guys, friendly reminder that your wishlist does not automatically update to sale prices. It happens every single sale, someone has to flip some switches behind the scenes before the discounts propagate to wishlists. Give it an hour or so.

Holy poo poo, I forgot about that--I was super bummed when I checked out my list and saw that 80% of the 160 games on my list weren't even on sale, and the other 20% are mostly games I have no intention of buying but keep on my wishlist for some reason.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Horn posted:

Wait an hour before freaking out. The store is dying right now.

No. :colbert:

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Obligatory "These deals suck" post two minutes after the sale goes live.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
overgrowth is still in alpha. how is that possible.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
lol at steamstat.us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man how are the finalists in "Test of Time" Civ V, Terraria, and Skyrim? Those shits aren't even old. At least TF2 is coming up on ten years, and AoE II is genuinely old. My investment in this "Steam Awards" is compromised.

Holy poo poo, I forgot about that--I was super bummed when I checked out my list and saw that 80% of the 160 games on my list weren't even on sale.

AoE being there is funniest part because its like yeah this game really stands the test of time that's why it needed an hd remake right?

• Locked thread