Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this is one of the movies I liked the least. Not just as a Star Wars movie (which to be frank, it doesn't feel much like one) but as a movie in general.

It is funny because while trying to remember this movie, images of the Solo movie kept coming to my mind. The war scenes, etc. I think I had a bigger connection with the short scene of Solo enlisted as a trooper than I had with this entire movie, because none of the characters in it were interesting and I had no emotional connection with any of them. And in a sense those short Solo scenes, most of which are played for comedy, seemed to be closer to what war movies feel like - both modern ones and the ones the original trilogy took inspiration - than this movie. Structurally this movie plays like a regular hero arc that just so happens to end with everybody dead like an 80's horror movie. This is accentuated by the fact that Vader's scene at the end feels very much like a horror movie scene. And it is worsened because the characters have less development than the fodder in a Saw or Final Destination movie.

On a vacuum, this movie seems very pointless. Outside of a vacuum and in its proper context, this movie feels like a big budgeted fan-fiction trying to be more than it is.

So outside of the war movie facade, to me this plays more like a very generic thriller that uses the fact that all characters are doomed as an excuse not to develop any of them properly, and in that sense it was a Frankenstein's monster of 80's horror with the World's most hollow splatter film: One just as shallow, but without plot, splatter or characters in the first place. Much like a horror movie the only "evil" character in it is an unstoppable Jason monster slowly walking forward and killing people in a dark hallway, but even that scene is just a bland cameo that strikes like pure fan-service, a cameo placed in a movie that is just as equally bland and hollow. The only redeeming quality I see in this movie is that beneath the Uncanny Valley of Tarkin's 3D character I got to remember what a good actor the original Peter Cushing was.

1/5.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU