Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Park Chung-hee is most well remembered for massive infrastructure and business investment, beginning Korea's modern trend of concreting over everything they can get their hands on. In the surprisingly large portion of the population that considers him the best president and ignores all his dictatorly crimes it's one of the things they focus on.

To be fair, part of why he is remembered fondly by so many is Korea has had an awful series of incompetent, corrupt asshats for presidents. They're stupendously bad. Park Chung-hee was vaguely competent and since he had full information control nobody knew about his corruption. Park Geun-hye was not actually any worse than a normal Korean president, the fact that she was ousted was kind of a big deal. The open question is, was she the first to be ousted in such a way because of her incompetence, or was her incompetence particularly unacceptable because she was a woman? Korea's still a very sexist society, the only reason she won was conservatives who miss the old dictatorship days hoping she'd bring it back. Nobody knows the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Grand Fromage posted:

Park Chung-hee is most well remembered for massive infrastructure and business investment, beginning Korea's modern trend of concreting over everything they can get their hands on. In the surprisingly large portion of the population that considers him the best president and ignores all his dictatorly crimes it's one of the things they focus on.

To be fair, part of why he is remembered fondly by so many is Korea has had an awful series of incompetent, corrupt asshats for presidents. They're stupendously bad. Park Chung-hee was vaguely competent and since he had full information control nobody knew about his corruption. Park Geun-hye was not actually any worse than a normal Korean president, the fact that she was ousted was kind of a big deal. The open question is, was she the first to be ousted in such a way because of her incompetence, or was her incompetence particularly unacceptable because she was a woman? Korea's still a very sexist society, the only reason she won was conservatives who miss the old dictatorship days hoping she'd bring it back. Nobody knows the answer.

I feel that you're kind of underrating how bad "letting yout cult leader plunder the government" is on the corruption scale

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I feel that you're kind of underrating how bad "letting yout cult leader plunder the government" is on the corruption scale

I'm not, I'm just saying that they all do that. The cult thing was around under her father too.

Korean presidential retirement usually involves prison.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The elevated highways are pretty interesting ways to route traffic.

The model isn't complex enough where people will take "wrong turns" or something and have to backtrack from the elevated highway, is it?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Daejeon looks loving amazing, Fromage. I'm greatly enjoying this LP.

Grand Fromage posted:

Hyundai has a "foreigners compound" in Ulsan where they segregate house their western employees and it has a neighborhood that looks exactly like loving pre-war Sanctuary Hills in Fallout 4, it's creepy. Like some sort of training compound for KGB deep cover spies.

PHOTOS. NOW.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

The elevated highways are pretty interesting ways to route traffic.

The model isn't complex enough where people will take "wrong turns" or something and have to backtrack from the elevated highway, is it?
Nope. Cars will attempt to take the fastest(going by road type), most direct route possible to their destination. This becomes really, really obvious when there's one incredibly congested road and basically nobody using a nice empty alternate route nearby. Or when you gently caress up freeway building and get a congestion conga line of cars moving to the rightmost lane ages before the exit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So the game based around mass transit and movement of people does not account for traffic?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ScreamingLlama posted:

Daejeon looks loving amazing, Fromage. I'm greatly enjoying this LP.

PHOTOS. NOW.

Bahahaha. There's videos

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1OXrBot7t8

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Kavak posted:

So the game based around mass transit and movement of people does not account for traffic?

It'd be more accurate to say that traffic does not account for traffic.

Or, as I like to refer to it, drivers in this game aren;'t enough of ASSHOLES like their real life counterparts.

Traffic engineers have mentioned that, despite its failings, it still generally follows the rules that actual traffic would.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's a pretty good view of them. I can't find any good ground level pics.

Strange Forest
Mar 4, 2015
I am loving that this let's play is also a South Korean history lesson. As someone that has spent their college career studying China (and a little bit of Japan), I am glad this is giving me a chance to become more knowledgeable about Korea

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:stonk:

I'm disappointed that they don't call it 'Little Delaware' or something like that.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the red and blue roofs have been seared into my eyes. I keep seeing afterimages of those homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Saw this in my Twitter feed and thought of this thread:

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayNYT/status/923904628512772096

• Locked thread