Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Please do not spend money on this garbage dumpster fire of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Please do not spend money on this garbage dumpster fire of a game.

I was of the same mind but i spent $20 because its now pretty fun. No matter the flaws running with a pack of 10 dudes into a point with all of them spamming T is hilarious and fun. Heres a video of me and a friend charging a capture point doing just that, i'm the tactical that threw a krak nade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6j6ncLfgZA You could say i was the tip of the bony fist of door.

*This also happens sometimes to which makes you chuckle but most of the time its you getting gunned down in the open https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NiONDrBOoc

Arghy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 22, 2017

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I like this game, I'm a rank 5 Eldar, 4 LSM and 3 CSM, no ork. I don't think it's a good game persay, but I've gotten to a point where I can consistently rank top 3 on my team of 30 and feel like I'm making an impact which leads to Fun and Good times.

Currently:

Like: Melee combat, hiding as Striking scorpion and jumping out an unsuspecting fools like the fuckin predator, being a fire dragon and kamikaze-ing tanks and fortifications, killing heavies posted up on walls when they don't see you coming, tagging someone with my scorp-sword DOT and then running away while their whole team chases me.

Don't like: Progression in general is dumb, there are straight upgrades you need to be able to hang with the veterans, elite classes feel underwhelming sometimes, friendly fire is never punished even when it's some idiot blatantly blowing away teammates en masse, with 30v30 I get tremendous synchronization problems leading to things like getting wrecked by a melee class that's not even showing up on my screen, getting matched up as 30 random people against a pre-made 25man guild.

I'm hoping for: more game modes emphasizing vehicles, more network optimization to help with the recently increased player load, more attention given to elites/terminators/equivalents and the associated gameplay (we have seen models and basic animations, but how will we earn the ability to use the super-suit? what can it do to change the way the battle is going?), more relevant rewards for doing well (at present if you want XP/Req to get supply drops your best bet is being a antivehicle class the whole match and trying to blow up vehicles, or just staying alive near a capture point when it's finished capping, rather than going out and getting a bunch of kills).

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I love scorpion players who don't realize they aren't invisible just a blurry mass. I once hosed down a team of 2 scorpions who were trying to sneak up on me as a dev--if they just straight up rushed me i would have died but instead they slowly stalked me allowing me to spot them haha.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So i played this going on, at least a year ago. Maybe longer, i honestly dont remember when i bought it. It was loose with money for sure. it was hot garbage and i hated it. But i had played too much of it to refund it.

Turn around to hear its f2p, get curious, reinstall it, and find out that its actually really loving fun now. For one on my really top of the line rig it not only looks really nice, it actually has a frame rate. And apparently my friends who have poo poo tier dirt computers can run it on quake 3 looking graphics now. They also gave me like 50 loving in game dollars worth of cosmetic bux, which i spent on stuff for my orc, cause gently caress it, the money is already lost might as well snazz up and look smikt.

Been having legit fun with what used to be a lovely butt game for babies.

I play the Slugga Boy mostly. I dont know what they changed about the melee system ( i never played enough to make sense about it back in the day ) but i can reliably counter most people in a 1v1. Still not too happy that most of the daft loving pants on head assholes in this game make no attempts at checking fire, grenades, rockets, plasma etc, especially into melee fights. Most of my deaths as Slugga boy come from overzealous Kannon and Plasma lootas who decide that the enemy must die right here and now, and no we dont need to preserve tickets ill just bomb 3 of my allies to kill one stupid space marine.

Daft Gits.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
There is fun to be had in this game, mostly because of the sorry state of TPS/FPS games right now.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I'm into this game. I like the level layouts, I like the character advancement, I think the shooting's aiight, and I'm liking the melee (now that I've watched a tutorial on how to melee...yeah that could be better). I like playing a sword wizard as Chaos. Graphics don't look great but also remind me of Starcraft 1 menus and that's neato. People have a lot of weight while running, which is cool since I'm a big dude in spike armor. My ork has a rokkit launcher 3x his own size, and that's rad as hell.

This game is one of those "good but flawed" games imo. I'm into it's mechanics and I'm a lot better at it than I was at Planetside2. I'd like more armor customization and a better explanation of some items, and the game needs some balancing, but overall I like it. Certainly worth the 0 dollars it costs now.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

There is fun to be had in this game, mostly because of the sorry state of TPS/FPS games right now.

Lmao what a bad opinion with Doom and Wildlands existing.

If you consider this game as the current state however then yeah, it is in a sad state.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Michaellaneous posted:

Man i dont know how to react to this post. At all.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Granted, Wildlands isn't great, but heaps and bounds better than this tripe.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Michaellaneous posted:

If you consider this game as the current state however then yeah, it is in a sad state.

I.... Um...Hrrmm.

Some of these things don't compute. Doom is a primarily a single player FPS. Wildlands? :lol::lol:

I'd have accepted things like Planetside 2, Battlefield 3/4/1/whatever as proper arguments. It can't be argued that EC scratches an itch introduced in Space Marine. I did preface with the fact that no one should actually spend money on it. It's a bad game overall.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If only there were multiple games in those genres that share similar play styles :allears:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

All I don't agree with is that the FPS/TPS gaming is in a sad state.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Michaellaneous posted:

All I don't agree with is that the FPS/TPS gaming is in a sad state.

That's fine.

I disagree but that is also fine :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

KillerQueen posted:

I'm into this game. I like the level layouts, I like the character advancement, I think the shooting's aiight, and I'm liking the melee (now that I've watched a tutorial on how to melee...yeah that could be better). I like playing a sword wizard as Chaos. Graphics don't look great but also remind me of Starcraft 1 menus and that's neato. People have a lot of weight while running, which is cool since I'm a big dude in spike armor. My ork has a rokkit launcher 3x his own size, and that's rad as hell.

This game is one of those "good but flawed" games imo. I'm into it's mechanics and I'm a lot better at it than I was at Planetside2. I'd like more armor customization and a better explanation of some items, and the game needs some balancing, but overall I like it. Certainly worth the 0 dollars it costs now.
i tried playing Chaos to the point of being just short of rank 4 and i just feel like they're in a terrible spot right now. compared to LSM, all their weapons are worse when not equal. sorcerers are much worse at their primary healing job than apothecaries and painboyz until very late in progression. their ground melees lack shield options. their unique advancements (the Marks) are really nothing to write home about, the best one being Slaanesh's run speed.

it took me a week and a half to get where i am with Chaos. i picked up orks and played a combination of painboy and shoota boy and got up to rank 3-and-change in about 2 days.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Faction balance seems a little lovely from the perspective of Eldar as well. SM get a whole bunch of apparently decent options for every class, but Eldar are often stuck with the default weapon for each class, with maybe an option for a different pistol. And the alternatives that are available don't seem too hot either. After getting blooped dozens of times by the SM plasma launcher, I decided on some payback and went for the Tempest Launcher on the Dark Reaper. In the tabletop game it was a great AoE space marine murder machine, and the description made it seem to be similar ingame. But when I finally got it and gave it a whirl, its primary AoE fire mode was complete balls with a huge spread but little splash. The secondary fire mode is reasonably useful against stationary enemies or vehicles, but even then it's basically just a Lascannon but worse.

I mean, on the whole it's not too terrible because the default options are quite workable, but it's annoying that the marines get all their fun toys and the Eldar are left out even though there's a lot of material to work with for them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, eldar were always going to be fundamentally difficult to balance to begin with in an online game, since their speed makes them inherently capable of lag shielding. considering the fact that the game's netcode is currently as reliable as a drunk's sobriety that problem is much worse than it otherwise would be, too.

i honestly just peace straight out of any eldar battle i see because i know it is going to be a humongous exercise in frustration for both sides. fortunately, eldar are not very popular right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Has the player count actually stayed (relatively) healthy? Because for a while there Orcs vs Eldar was basically 90% of matches for those factions.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the player count is still quite robust, but the pendulum has swung to LSM and CSM after the free to play release.

on a somewhat related note, another reason i like playing Orks is because it is infinitely easier to stay situationally aware. a fight between LSM and CSM is incredibly confusing because the weapons shared by both sides, such as the various bolter flavors, use the same sounds and tracers. it is frequently impossible to tell whether fire is incoming our outgoing. at least when i am playing orks i know immediately if that sound to my left is a dakka deffgun (push forward) or a heavy bolter (get to cover NOW!)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 3, 2017

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
The playerbase seems to be doing so much better now that its f2p. For one the nightmare queues are gone. I can even get into a game within seconds on any faction in the middle of the night.

I do reccomend just putting a hearty pair of blinders on as far as in game chat goes though, cause theres some pretty virulent strains of bad/awful as far as people being bad people in game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there are some jerks, sure, but they still seem very heavily outnumbered by people who are having a good time to the point of RPing.

i've invariably been able to shut whiners up with some combination of "I AM ANGRY AT VIDEO GAMES / SEE MY ALL CAPS / THIS IS HOW ANGRY I AM", while most of my squads are filled with Ork pun names or traitor tactical "demonius darkblade". and post-match is dominated by 'death to the false emperor' and 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH'

e: my favorite exchange was when playing chaos, someone noticed my soldier's name as "BROTHER SCARY VOICE" and started the following exchange after we fell completely flat on a point assault:

teammate1: brother scary voice shout at them to scare them!
BROTHER SCARY VOICE: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
teammate2: AWESOME
teammate3: CHARGE
teammate1: I REGRET MY LIFE DECISIONS
teammate4: AUTISTIC SCREAMING

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 3, 2017

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Brother Scary Voice is always a pleasant person to see in game.

One of the reasons i play orks so drat much is the chat is always about 5 times more fun on ork team. Also ive taken to joke naming all my characters.

Ork: Waughwutizitgudfer ( the answer is everything )
Chaos: Bolter Vanderhuge ( Aka David Ryder )
Spaz Muhreen: Butt Crunchsteak ( Also David Ryder )
Elfy Priss: Psychic Spacechild ( all i could think of )

Its fun times.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

wait what the gently caress you're bolter vanderhuge?

HAHAHA me and sykic, another goon, were appreciating the gently caress out of your name like a week ago when we ran into you like 3 games in a row. we should roll sometime. me and sykic are in the new chugging the stairs mumble, you should pop by sometime so we can trade other contact info.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I got an orc named Gork an Mindy and a chaos guy named ANGRY IN CHAT

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Coolguye posted:

wait what the gently caress you're bolter vanderhuge?

HAHAHA me and sykic, another goon, were appreciating the gently caress out of your name like a week ago when we ran into you like 3 games in a row. we should roll sometime. me and sykic are in the new chugging the stairs mumble, you should pop by sometime so we can trade other contact info.

Yeah thats me. Usually running around as a traitor assault. Yeah man add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/rentalgamer

I run around with a couple of guys that also play. One of thems chaos dude is Chaos Mcgee. You might see him shredding people as a havoc.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Third World Reggin posted:

I got an orc named Gork an Mindy and a chaos guy named ANGRY IN CHAT

That's funny since I have an Ork named Ork-N-Mindy.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

It's me I'm the idiot that has serious names (except my LSM is named Titus Androgenous).

Also my role in Ork defense is to run around WAAAAAGHing at da boyz to psyche them up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

KillerQueen posted:

It's me I'm the idiot that has serious names (except my LSM is named Titus Androgenous).

Also my role in Ork defense is to run around WAAAAAGHing at da boyz to psyche them up.

what is the key bind you use for a good hearty WAAAAAAGH? my war cry key gives me far inferior stuff.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Coolguye posted:

what is the key bind you use for a good hearty WAAAAAAGH? my war cry key gives me far inferior stuff.

Gotta hold it down friend

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

excellent <3

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you needed further evidence all F2P games are trash there's a rash of players intentionally griefing matches.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

at 5 unforgiven TKs you are removed from the match and you get kicked into a low priority queue if you're removed from too many matches

this can also happen if you blow yourself up too much to waste tickets on a defense map

there's LOTS of problems with this game but lol if you think griefing is a big one

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I get so mad at the stupid clans in this game, lets defend a single point with an entire clan squad while letting the other 2 fall to overwhelming numbers! I explained that they only need 2 points to win and if 50% of our team is sitting on a point then they can leverage 100% of their forces to crush us. They never left A the entire match which we of course lost while the leader was berating me saying i'd never get into a clan with that attitude hahaha.

I hope this game gets big so we can create a goon guild to crush the horrible RPers into the ground.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry, but the RPers are the best part of this game and they all play Ork. If you're not playing Orkz you're not actually playing that game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

clanning up in a game like this absolutely flabbergasts me. the game is so plagued by issues and terrible publicity that it fell face first out of the dressing room and onto the stage for release, and you say to yourself "hm, yes, this seems like a good game to take seriously, analyze on a deep meta level, and organize in"?

there is welfare check gaming and then there's that poo poo. what even.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mechanically speaking it's more fun than most $60 shooters so...

Especially the part where there's only one sniper rifle and it's only mediocre.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

After 5 straight losses on 2 factions i pretty much just ragequit because this isn't a goddamn job to complete the stupid loving campaign. Honestly i don't know if i can keep playing this game without an organized team.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I think this game is pretty good. Could deffo use some work, but I've been playing the crap out of it the last 2 weeks.
But yeah the premade dominance is unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

puberty worked me over posted:

Mechanically speaking it's more fun than most $60 shooters so...

Especially the part where there's only one sniper rifle and it's only mediocre.

the stalker bolter disagrees with being mediocre

i get a big laugh out of out of LSM guys complaining about mark of nurgle. there was a steam forums topic named "can we have an honest, grown up discussion about the mark of nurgle?"

the first response was "sure, as long as we have honest, grown-up discussions about the stalker bolter, the grav gun, the storm bolter, and the inadequacy of sorcerors vs apothecaries first"

KillerQueen posted:

I think this game is pretty good. Could deffo use some work, but I've been playing the crap out of it the last 2 weeks.
But yeah the premade dominance is unfortunate.

Arghy posted:

After 5 straight losses on 2 factions i pretty much just ragequit because this isn't a goddamn job to complete the stupid loving campaign. Honestly i don't know if i can keep playing this game without an organized team.
well i might as well make a steam group to see how that turns out huh

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EtGoon

i'll add mumble/discord/etc information later, join up if you'd like to shoot people with goons

• Locked thread