Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Hi there and welcome to Castlevania Lords of Shadow. An interesting entry in the Castlevania series as it acts as kind of a reboot of the Castlevania mythos which the sequal then squanders by acting as the end of the franchise.

My goal here is to take a look at what are the final two major Castlevania games Konami produced before they went pachinko happy and completely annihilated and alienated their non pachinko playing gamer userbase.

So I invite you to join me on an adventure as we take a casual stroll through the last two Castlevania games that we might get unless Konami goes under and a more competent company takes the reigns. Let's Play Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 and 2.

LP Structure
The plan as of episode two is to approach the each stage in two separate ways. The initial run which will be the normal run of the stage where I will try to get everything I can but may miss a few things on the way.
The secondary run of the stage will most likely be relegated to bonus videos. These will be edited runs that will encompass things such as trials if they were failed and a more comprehensive search of a stage to find hidden items and scrolls that count towards 100%. I am by no means going to guarantee that I can even get everything but I will at least make the attempt.

As for the bonus videos themselves they will come out after the end of each chapter and will also contain the bestiary and character info for monsters and people met during that chapter.

Spoiler Policy
If it hasn't happened yet don't talk about it.
With that said, feel free to talk about other Castlevania games.

Current Episode
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 30 - The Abyss

Episode listing:
Lords of Shadow 01
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 01
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 02
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 03
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: CH 01 bonus
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 04
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 05
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 06(Subtitled)
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 07 Ch.2 Pt. 3(Subtittled)
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 08 - Stone Titan(Subtittled)
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 09 - Lycan Towers
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 10 - Castle Ogre
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 11 - The Crow
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 12 - The Snow
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 13 - Abbot traps
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 14 - Mad Abbot
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 15 - Sewer Troubles
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 16 - Item roundup
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 17 - Castle Entry
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 18 - Vampires ahoy
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 19 - Hell's Kitchen
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 20 - Balcony
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 21 - Zap Labs
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 22 - chroma obs.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 23 - The Clocktower
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 24 - Carmilla
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 25 - Boned
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 26 - Crowtown
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 27 - Musical Coffins
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 28 - Laser cages
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 29 - Digging for cream
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 30 - The Abyss
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 31 - Dragon Fight

Doseku fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Monsters

Lesser Lycanthrope
These creatures are humans that have been poisoned with an infectious disease known as the "werewolf Influenza", which is transmitted, in most cases, by the bite of another Lycanthrope.
There is an old saying that goes like this "If you are bitten by a Lycan, better to let it knaw", and like most proverbs, it is probably true. Once infected with the disease, the transformation process
can be completed in only a few minutes, after which the victim's mind will have been replaced with the savage instincts of a savage predator.

Great Warg
Wargs are the principal strength of large Lycanthrope raiding parties. Some of them are "blessed" by the Dark Lord himself which gives them new powers, such as improved strength and wound
regeneration. Due to the nature of this "blessing", these powers are heightened by a full moon.

Warg
Little is known about these fierce, wolf-like beasts, except that they appeared soon after the coming of the Lycanthrope Dark Lord. Despite their wild looks, Wargs are fairly intelligent creatures,
capable of being tamed by lesser Lycanthropes, who ride them in battle. Wargs are ferocious creatures that attach opponents with razor-sharp claws and sharp, deadly teeth.

Goblin
These diminutive, mischievous and crabby creatures usually avoid contact with humans. Goblins make their homes around tree roots and mossy damp areas, and like to hunt in packs.
Although they can be aggressive when threatened, Goblins usually prefer to keep far from men and their dwellings. Goblins are a species on the verge of extinction, and before too long
will pass into history and then myth.

Naiad
A large part of the danger in the swamps lies in the hands of creatures known as Naiads. These living things are usually passive, lying inconspicuously on riverbeds and in muddy damp places,
waiting until someone stumbles within range. When they attack, their unfortunate victims usually mistake their limbs for branches and are soon drowned... and eaten. In days gone by these once
beautiful creatures were worshipped and sacrifices were made to them, but they are now forgotten by humans and have become evil predators, plaguing bother wandering man and beast alike.

Swamp Troll
Swamp trolls are a rare subspecies of the larger cave troll. Although similar in appearance to their dry land cousins, the thick fur has been replaced with a slimy coating, similar to wet mould,
which better suits the damper weather of their habitat. Swamp trolls are ferocious in battle and display a cunning that belies their outward appearance.

Ice Titan
Buried deep below the surface of an ancient lake, waiting to be found, are the remains of a once great European civilization, among them, a Titan of War! Before Rome, before ancient greece, this
great empire possessed technology that surpassed all others, and the Titan marks the pinnacle of their achievements. A great conflict known as 'The Necromantic Wars' obliterated this once thriving
civilization and this great feat of engineering was lost. When the dark spell that isolated the heavens from our earthly plane was cast, the souls of the dead were drawn to this place and somehow
gave new energy to the magic runes, reanimating the titan on final time...

Characters

Gabriel Belmont
As an infant he was found abandoned at the door of one of the Brotherhood of Light convents. It is not known who his original parents were. Some suspect that he was the unwanted bastard
of a local wealthy landowner, most likely from the Cronquist family, though this has never been proved. The order named the boy after the blessed archangel Gabriel and raised him as one of
their own. A precocious child, he quickly proved to be extremely talented, developing an unprecedented mastery of the fighting arts. Gabriel took his surname Belmont from his love of mountains
and the high places of the world. Prone to dark moods and occasional ambivalence, Gabriel was deeply affected by the death of his childhood sweetheart, Marie. He has embarked on this quest
at the request of the elders of the Brotherhood, and has a burning desire for revenge.

Marie
Marie, the youngest daughter of a rich merchant family, was always attracted by the courageous nature of the Brotherhood of Light; curious and lively, she often escaped her duties at home in order
to help the monks, baking and cleaning for them. During one of these visits she became acquainted with the boy that would later become her husband, an orphan by the name of Gabriel.
The two youngsters were made for each other; they grew up together and made promises for the future. These promises were kept when, one idyllic morning, with the blessing of both her family and the
Brotherhood, the couple was married. Marie provided a good counterpoint to Gabriel's dark moods, and often her laughter was enough to blow away the gathering storm within him.
Now Marie has been tragically murdered and Gabriel seeks revenge.

Pan
Classic folklore tells of a mystical spirit that inhabits untamed woodlands, protecting them from harm. Legends tell of different form to this spirit, often an eagle, a deer, a boar, or even a horse,
as well as many others. Some portray pan as an evil satyr, while others tell a story of a benevolent and powerful demi-god, servant of mother nature herself. But Mankind, in it's arrogance, pollutes
and destroys the world, and the old spirits depart... and soon Pan must choose his own fate.

Zobek
If the chronicles of the Brotherhood are to be believed, Zobek is one of their longest serving warriors. The list of heroic deed attributed to him is as impressive as his vast knowledge of the art of war.
Despite his age, he can deploy mighty fighting skills. His weapon of choice is a simple long sword which he handles with great skill. Unusually, he likes to wear the old-fashioned uniform of the
Brotherhood of Light that, according to him, was inherited from one of his ancestors, one of the founding members of the Order.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 29, 2016

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we make our way through the dark bog and pick up our first weapon upgrade.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 02

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
I'm glad to see someone Let's Playing this. It's one game that I really liked the look of, but couldn't get in to.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Hope you are enjoying it so far. Because today we hit our first boss and it won't be the last time we run into this kind of fight and we get to meet our questing buddy who we then send off on an entirely different path.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 03

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
This will be the third lp of the first game I've seen on the forums and I can't wait for you to get to the second.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hello, Vampire Hunter Captain Picard. We've been reading your diary.

What is Gabriel's accent supposed to be? He sounds vaguely Scottish, which doesn't really fit with the setting of Castlevania as I understand it.

As for the game flat-out telling you "Hey, you can't get this yet, come back later!", Konami's done "Show, don't tell" before, in other Castlevania games. Why are they taking such a hand-holdy approach with this one?

I feel like using the second ring in that puzzle, the one that moves all three, is probably key to passing the Trial. Try to get a good position using that one, and then use the other two to finish up.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
You know I never really thought about his accent. I'm just glad we aren't playing an anime pretty boy traipsing through a vague European countryside.
Anhoo, today we close out Chapter 01 by completing what trials we can and picking up the remaining collectibles that can be gotten at the moment.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: CH 01 bonus

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I finally figured out what was bothering me about the visuals in that first stage. Everything looks like it's made out of wet clay. The Warg, the protagonist, everything. It must be something about the way they chose to model the rain.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Sorry about the delay on this one. Had some vacation time and it took me away from my computer for a bit.
Anyway today we start into chapter 2.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 04

Unfortunately I did run into problems with this one due to trying to change recording software, so the initial run of these stages got borked to the point where the video was choppy as all heck on review and had to be redone.
Only one new upgrade was found and you'll at least get to see where it is.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Tonight we move further into the ruins of Chapter two and somehow get snuck upon by a large warthog. Gabriel is bad about noticing giant creatures creeping up behind him.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 05

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we meet a new friend.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 06

Also I decided to switch over to Subtitled commentary due to not really liking the way my voiced commentary was going.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we continue to follow our new friend.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 07 Ch.2 Pt. 3

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It must be nice having a 15 foot demon knight as a BFF

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It would be a shame if something were to happen to it.

Today we take on the Stone Titan in the games second Shadow Of Colossus fight.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 08 - Stone Titan

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Good day. Today we tackle a fairly short chapter and take on the first Lord Of Shadow.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we make our way towards the domain of the vampires.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 10 - Castle Ogre

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Doseku posted:

Good day. Today we tackle a fairly short chapter and take on the first Lord Of Shadow.

Call yourself a warrior? :smug: Call yourself a warrior? :smug: Call-

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 5, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'm hoping the vampire lord doesn't do this.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Tonight it's time to take on the Crow Witch.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 11 - The Crow

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Sorry about the delay. Today we start into the realm of vampires.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 12 - The Snow

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time to take on the devious traps of an isolate abbot.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 13 - Abbot traps

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I've always wanted to like this game... But it's soo god of war that it's insulting. Enjoy watching you play through it though.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'd agree with you there. It does very much feel like it's trying to be god of war. Heck Gabriel is like Kratos due to the fact that anger and vengeance are what's driving him on his quest to rid the world of the lords of shadow.
Even with it's flaws I still like it. I can't really say the same about the sequel. I will try to be fair here and say that this isn't the first time Castlevania has tried to be a different game. Lament of Innocence tried to be devil may cry.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we grab the mysterious relic to fight the vampires.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 14 - Mad Abbot

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we save a town... sorta.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 15 - Sewer Troubles

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Before we head into the castle of the dark lord of vampires I believe we need to pick up a few items. This is a short episode since there wasn't a whole lot to get.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 16 - Item roundup

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I really got to get the update schedule for this game down better.
Anyway today we gain access into the vampire castle.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 17 - Castle Entry

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 18 - Vampires ahoy

A fairly short level but it has the same problem the maze level had. Essentially it contains a puzzle that is required to progress but it doesn't give you tool to complete it if you don't already have it on hand.
I.E. if you happen to use all your red magic fighting the two waves of vampires then you have no magic left to push the mirror which opens the path to the other puzzle that eventually leads out. There is a magic fountain but it lies beyond the door that you need the mirror to open.
You are then forced to either reload from a check point hoping that you still had enough magic when the game saved or head out to a different level restore your magic and then come back and fight the two waves of enemies again and then solve the mirror puzzle that grants you
access to the magic refilling fountain.

What I'm saying is that's very bad design and it's the second time it's shown up.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Let's see what the vampire cook is up to.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 19 - Hell's Kitchen

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Once again we are on the outside of the castle.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 20 - Balcony

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on the castle's monster.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 21 - Zap Labs

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we play with colors.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 22 - chroma obs.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Hi today we start scaling the castle to get ready to fight the dread vampire lord.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 23 - The Clocktower

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we take on two bosses and close out the Vampire Lord Arc.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 24 - Carmilla

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks for playing & posting these videos!

I notice you don't use the side-weapons very much; the knives some, but not the fairies or holy water. Any reason why? (The holy water looks like it might help against those skeletons.)

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Glad are enjoying the videos so far.

As for your question, I don't use faeries that much if at all because they act more as distractions than as actual weapons unless you infuse them with demon magic. Admittedly most of the times I broke them out it really didn't help or they got too scared and exploded. I could try using the holy water a bit more but I don't know how useful it's going to be since it was more or less the weakness of the vampires which I don't think we'll see any more of. The dark crystal is most likely the most useful but due to how powerful it is you have to collect pieces of it every time you want to use it. So I save it for when skeleton's show up because it one hit kills them and doesn't require me to use the ground pound which is the regular way to get rid of them once you break them apart.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Just to give a heads up. I haven't forgotten about this game.
The next video will be up in a couple days. Thanks for your patience.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
We finally step into the territory of the necromancer.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 25 - Boned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
One knight is right at the beginning. When Gabriel walks out of the mirror, look to your left. You can see it at 2:25 off to the left, when the Seraph shoulders are being shown off for the first time.

• Locked thread