Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't forgot about this game.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 26 - Crowtown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Good Day,
Today we finish our business with Baba Yaga and take our first steps into the final areas of the main campaign.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 27 - Musical Coffins

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we a little deeper into the deadlands and have our powers stolen from us at least twice.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 28 - Laser cages

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we cremate some things.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 29 - Digging for cream

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time to play with portals and mirrors as we climb the Necromancers Abyss.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 30 - The Abyss

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
You asked in the video why the arena kept giving fairies when they were useless against the necromancers. I went back to check the critter sheet you showed for the necromancers, and it shows that while normal fairies are useless, light-empowered fairies are good to use. They rate two skulls on the necromancers.

Is there some upcoming area where you can test that out? I'm curious what they look like.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I can't believe I didn't think of using light infused fairies. If we do see any necromancers in the next area I will definitely try your idea out.
Thanks for the tip.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we get to fight an undead Dragon.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 31 - Dragon Fight

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Welcome to the end of the main story of the game.
Castlevania Lords Of Shadow 01: Episode 32 - Necromancer

I couple things I would like to bring up is the fact that the final fight sorta comes out of nowhere. Plot wise it doesn't make sense since the final boss is not hinted at anywhere.

As far as the player and thus Gabriel are concerned the Lords of Shadow were the primary antagonists and by this point in the game the player probably suspects that Zobek is the necromancer. So having a final battle with him fits in with the games story of fighting the lords of shadow. Having the real final boss pop out of nowhere and take that fight away from the player is lame.

The whole thing about dead souls not being able to go to heaven is never mentioned until now and is only used as a point to keep Gabriel alive because his dead wife thinks he can save the world.
Combine that with what we ultimately know becomes of Gabriel cleanly places the deaths of everyone at the hands of Gabriel(Dracula) at her feet.

The final boss' design looks ridiculous when compared to everyone else in the game and just doesn't look good.

Next time though we move into the DLC. Something that I will be going into blind since I haven't touched the DLC before. But it does bridge both games as it tells us how Gabriel becomes Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I'd figured out Zobek was playing a game, if only because he knew too much and he could manage to catch up to Gabriel when there was no way short of using the powers Gabriel had collected in order to reach where he was.

The player did get shorted out of a great fight with Zobek as the necromancer - at least Patrick Stewart got to chew the scenery and enjoy himself.

I'm guessing the writers already had Lucifer in mind for the antagonist for the sequel, and thus they graft that onto the end, here. Would have been more fun to fight Zobek, and then have Lucifer show up and laugh at the end of the fight after Zobek is killed, then try to take the mask from Gabriel. Lucifer can be crammed in here if only because previous Castlevania games have made out Dracula to be the Prince of Darkness, and the writers decided to make things interesting to have Dracula literally usurp Lucifer.

But you are completely wrong about laying the blame of Gabriel's killings at Maria's feet.

She didn't tell him earlier in the game to keep him going so he would break the spell of the Lords of Shadow, and free all the souls of the dead. If he had died on the trek, he'd have been trapped as a lost soul, too. Freeing them is an unmitigated good, and arguably the only good outcome - she makes it clear she can't come back from the dead. And from the cut-scene at the end, both she and the girl clearly forgive Gabriel. She even says all the lost souls forgive him, and he has "won God's favor." Then she is called by God, and departs. That's all she does, and all she can do. She doesn't have power, and she never has.

God is the one who keeps Gabriel alive. Not Maria.

Gabriel doesn't commit suicide (a mortal sin by most Christian dogma) which would land him in Hell as Lucifer's toy.

And given that the cut-scene at the end says Lucifer is making a second try, and Zobek wants Gabriel's help lest they both become Lucifer's hated thralls -- not too hard to think that God deliberately kept Gabriel alive precisely because He knew Lucifer was going to try again and that Gabriel would be forced to stop him out of self-preservation. God has already been shown to either not be omnipotent or omnibenevolent, as either God would have broken the spell Zobek cast that prevented souls from reaching Heaven, or chose to not do so because Man must undo the damage Men had done in hubris.

And the game designers wanted a sequel, of course.

• Locked thread