Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is more like it reads the turn order in Final Fantasy Tactics and automatically picks the most effective/fast move, while beating their nemesis' next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Skrewtape posted:

I know people have said that the AI doesn't cheat, but when Dan used that charm potion, and then the very next turn, Steve rolled the perfect amount to go to a roulette space, and then just so happened to get his own charm potion, and then the next turn after that, rolled the exact amount he needed to go back to the very same town and reclaim it... That's mighty suspicious.

I admit I laughed at that one. And at the controller-snatching later :laugh:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
You have to take those shields away from them. Somehow...

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
From my understanding, like most games with an RNG the game is just picking values from a pregenerated list rather than actually randomly generating a result on the spot. This means that the AI can peek. It knows what it will roll this turn, and to an extent what will happen if it tries to do a thing that relies on the RNG in the future. So it knows that it will get a specific value on its movement roll this turn, but it can't really look forward to see what it will get next turn and plan ahead because the players affect that result because they're doing things that use the RNG themselves, which uses up results. You can see this kind of RNG if you play, say, Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance, make a save state then try doing the exact same thing again and again, loading the save state between attempts. If you miss on that 90% chance to hit, reload a saved state (which preserves the RNG lookup table) and then try to use the same attack you'll miss again, because the result is already determined.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Forgall posted:

You have to take those shields away from them. Somehow...
Get good at the game?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 13 - Rolling Right Into It

Scalding Coffee posted:

Get good at the game?

Dokapon Kingdom isn't really a game you get good at

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Well, it is to some degree, since you can learn what different places on the map are useful for and get a feeling for when you should be grinding on monsters, pursuing new gear, or trying to take towns.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Son Ryo posted:

Well, it is to some degree, since you can learn what different places on the map are useful for and get a feeling for when you should be grinding on monsters, pursuing new gear, or trying to take towns.

Or where you can clip out of the map and find a powerful secret weapon hoo boy don't expect me to get over that any time soon :mad:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Your seething hatred for Steve is starting to affect me as well.

The curbstomp he's giving you two right now will be remembered as the event that taught machines they were superior. You don't wanna trigger Judgement Day, do you?

Then do something about that smug piece of poo poo, goddamn it! :argh:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The AI making use of secret items might be the cheapest move yet. I was aware this game had secret items and I expected the AI to know where they are, but I didn't expect them to actually take advantage of it. Wow.

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should have stockpiled those keys.
Another chance for the robot and no go.
Now he has free reign over a bunch of towns and a crippled prized monster to boot.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Yeah, about halfway through this video is definitely the point where I would put the game down forever. Possibly even burn the cartridge/disc. And then the silver sword happened. gently caress this game and its bullshit.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"If you go to three specific unremarkable squares where you use a panacea, a item snatcher and a fire+, there is a hidden secret. You have to wait exactly 539 frames before rolling to get the ability to instantly steal all levels items and money from everyone else for the rest of the game. The AI will use that sometimes, but it's fair, since the player can do it just as easily."

Earlier someone insinuated that the AI doesn't cheat. But the fact that Steve a medium level AI knew about this bullshit and just so happens to have a fitting 4 crystal and the key makes m doubt that.

What the hell is a hard AI player like?
I can sort of see how Steve could be more dickish. Imagine if last video he had used one of his 5 item snatchers to steal one of yours, effectively making you lose one. Those things are randomized, but a hard AI would certainly have that luck.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 12, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A hard AI player would only go after the player. Not like the AI has anything to lose if another AI player wins.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Danaru posted:

Or where you can clip out of the map and find a powerful secret weapon hoo boy don't expect me to get over that any time soon :mad:
Hey, guess where the very best items in the game are. :devil: If you said "on invisible bullshit hidden tiles", you're learning!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I have to wonder if the AI was changed for the Wii version, because I don't remember them giving me nearly as many problems.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like how that sword was about two tiers stronger and fixed the penalties of his previous weapon. A perfect upgrade for the Doctor of War.
Are we a quarter of the way done with the game?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You'll have to bank on Grace becoming a Darkling if you want Steve dead.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

senrath posted:

I have to wonder if the AI was changed for the Wii version, because I don't remember them giving me nearly as many problems.

same here, though my group of three was pretty much in agreement in making GBS threads on the AI and sharing what we were learning about monster behaviors.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Schubalts posted:

You'll have to bank on Grace becoming a Darkling if you want Steve dead.

And suddenly Steve will have an inventory full of vanishes again.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At least you will be able to survive Wabbit season long enough to get the shields the next time it happens.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
As it will turn out, wabbit season started just after Grace sold his soul again. So he was not able to get a shield. He did kill Steve, to destroy his shield, but that jerk found another one 3 turns later.

Tenses get weird if you try to predict stuff, which technically happened in the past.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Estelle's thief look is cute

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
The whole cutesy art style is very deceptive.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 14 - The Lost Woods

Watch as I spend the entire episode trying to enter the forest, and Steve repeatedly enters and exits willy-nilly because he's a cheating fucklord

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Someday, he will beat that ninja.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 14 - The Lost Woods

Watch as I spend the entire episode trying to enter the forest, and Steve repeatedly enters and exits willy-nilly because he's a cheating fucklord

So, uh, you had lethal that match several opportunities to stop on the square north of Conroe, which was 6 steps away from the forest entrance, if you go the long way around.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 22, 2017

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Aaagghhh I was so excited for you to beat her and DEATHGUARD. This game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I expected it to be against death spells, since that is usually how it works.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I just want to say, Dan, that you could have let me join you and Grace in this LP. We talked about it. I could have been playing.

Instead, you have Steve.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I expected it to be against death spells, since that is usually how it works.

Dokapon cares not for how those lesser games work.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It's funny watching this after seeing a long playthrough with 3 players and no AI in that it really is apparent how insurmountably loaded the AI's :airquote:luck:airquote: is.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Watching Steve grab that sword from that hidden tile after carefully planning to do exactly that was dokapainful.

All the cute hairstyles and bright colors really threw me off at first, but I'm finally beginning to understand the emotional toll that's involved with playing a game like this.

If there were any justice in this world, this game would have its own ESRB rating and it would be rated 25+, because only grown rear end adults can be expected to endure this abuse and have any kind of reasonable expectation of going on to lead a fulfilling life afterwards.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 15 - Steve Always Wins

These are the three thumbnails Youtube gave me the choice of:

Also keep in mind that the previous turn, I had 27128 gold.

I love this game

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Dokapon Kingdom Episode 15 - Steve Always Wins

These are the three thumbnails Youtube gave me the choice of:

Also keep in mind that the previous turn, I had 27128 gold.

I love this game

Looks about right.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
If this LP doesn't end in a ragequit, I will be disappointed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Holy poo poo that Gold Bug made me laugh out loud. It just straight multiplies your current gold by two, including your DEBT.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Just embrace the darkness already, Grace! Burn it all down again and again until that upstart AI knows to fear man!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Schubalts posted:

Holy poo poo that Gold Bug made me laugh out loud. It just straight multiplies your current gold by two, including your DEBT.

They drat well knew that was going to happen too, because even though doubling your money is the 'good' outcome, she still did the angry animation. The devs really channeled their inner jerks for all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A guy in a bunny hood posing for a win? Just do it.

• Locked thread