Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thinking of getting into gun ownership. What's a good gun for a new owner? I want an AK-47, but I bet that's tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Boy do I have a thread for you:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221380

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
We have a gun subforum? Oh, no wonder I didn't notice: that name is kind of misleading.

Thanks for the link.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Taurus Judge.

:v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Taurus Judge.
gold plated desert eagle, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nggqe-L9ZQ8

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
If you've never shot before, start on a cheapo .22 rifle or a nice .22 pistol. You'll save money as you learn, and you won't build up any recoil anticipation. Move up calibers as your skills grows.

If you're already seasoned, go for a Glock. They are dead easy to break down, clean and put back together. They are extremely reliable.

You failed to mention what you're using the gun for. Target practice? Home defense? Open carry? Concealed carry?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Taurus Judge.

That's attempted homicide right there.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Lurk around TFR for sure.

To give you a proper answer, we would need more information. Assuming you are an average first-time gun owner who wants something for self defense, I've always been a big fan of the Glock 17. Nothing fancy, fits in your hand easily, easy to load, will never break down. You can put it in your night stand for five years and it will work how it is supposed to.

People get pretty opinionated about what the best self-defense gun is but I always thought the answer is "the one you are most comfortable with". I've owned guns for a long time but to this day a shotgun doesn't "feel right" in my hands, I can't explain why exactly. Go to a range, try a few different types (revolvers, pistols, shotguns, etc) and ask a lot of questions.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

faarcyde posted:

Lurk around TFR for sure.

To give you a proper answer, we would need more information. Assuming you are an average first-time gun owner who wants something for self defense, I've always been a big fan of the Glock 17. Nothing fancy, fits in your hand easily, easy to load, will never break down. You can put it in your night stand for five years and it will work how it is supposed to.

People get pretty opinionated about what the best self-defense gun is but I always thought the answer is "the one you are most comfortable with". I've owned guns for a long time but to this day a shotgun doesn't "feel right" in my hands, I can't explain why exactly. Go to a range, try a few different types (revolvers, pistols, shotguns, etc) and ask a lot of questions.

The best self-defence gun is a water pistol because you are vastly more likely to shoot yourself or a family member with it than you are to live out whatever dumbass die hard fantasy you've concocted

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

The best self-defence gun is a water pistol because you are vastly more likely to shoot yourself or a family member with it than you are to live out whatever dumbass die hard fantasy you've concocted

Probably the gooniest answer I've ever heard on here and I've been here a long time

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Taurus Judge.

Pfft

Taurus Raging Bull 454

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
a freakin 6 shooter

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
spinnin that thing all day long, doing the cool flick thing to put the circle dealy back in the shoot hole, gently caress theyre so cool

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

faarcyde posted:

Probably the gooniest answer I've ever heard on here and I've been here a long time

man I dunno what "goony" even means any more but I think at one point it included people who bought a ton of guns in case al-aqaeda isis came to do terrorisms to their house

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

faarcyde posted:

More or less goony than blowing your leg off with a shotgun while menacing street people who are rummaging through your garbage? That story's a tfr classic.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
one of those sour cream guns from Taco Bell

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Squalid posted:

More or less goony than blowing your leg off with a shotgun while menacing street people who are rummaging through your garbage? That story's a tfr classic.

I've spent a not insignificant amount of time reading TFR and somehow missed that one. Please share the story and links with the rest of the class.

In the meantime the OP should get a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mk III. .22lr is relatively cheap, and it's fun to kick a golf ball around the range all afternoon for the price of a movie ticket. If there are any kids or idiot adults* around the OP should invest in some sort of lockable container to prevent inadvertent deaths.

*: all adults who don't own guns are idiots around guns. Also, most adults who do own guns are idiots around guns.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 30, 2016

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Loucks posted:

*: all adults who don't own guns are idiots around guns. Also, most adults who do own guns are idiots around guns.

and sometimes they are idiots around pumpkins :spooky:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Loucks posted:

*: all adults who don't own guns are idiots around guns.
i've gotten muzzleswept so often in germany, :tizzy: OP, make sure the first thing you do is to study safety. For yourself and everyone around you.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Loucks posted:

I've spent a not insignificant amount of time reading TFR and somehow missed that one. Please share the story and links with the rest of the class.

In the meantime the OP should get a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mk III. .22lr is relatively cheap, and it's fun to kick a golf ball around the range all afternoon for the price of a movie ticket. If there are any kids or idiot adults* around the OP should invest in some sort of lockable container to prevent inadvertent deaths.

https://ryanjarcy.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/how-i-blew-off-a-leg-with-a-12-gauge-shotgun-part-one/

Possibly originally posted in GBS, it embodies the spirit of tfr :911:

quote:

The muzzle had been against or within a few inches of my lower left leg, as the Winchester AA wad and shot cup had stayed together and thus let it punch a smooth hole for an entry channel and then expand like a .72 caliber hollowpoint slug extremely rapidly as it burrowed into my body fat and tissues, sending well over a full ounce of #7 1/2 lead shot barreling (bad analogies and puns only get worse from here, folks!) into and then out of me, causing the leg itself to be fitted into one of three major categories: the upper and sides of my foot sported a relatively clean, round cavity neat the back leftmost area; my shin was attached from my ankle to the stump that was formerly my shin by a strip of calloused, burnt skin no larger than the size of two postage stamps; my calf and all tissue six inches below the kneecap were absolutely shredded like lovely fast-food hamburger. The red West Texas dust and colichi powder that covered the floor soaked the blood and bits of me into round little balls, seeming to hold shape by surface tension. Being that my face was smashed fairly well against the ground, I noticed these stupid little things.

It was a sight to behold that would (and does) cast shock on even the most Rotten.com-loving sadist, as the idea of a living, breathing and all-too-aware person having that kind of traumatic injury is almost inconceivable. Indeed many who have seen it reflexively dismiss it as a hoax or some visual media their minds simply refuse to comprehend, but it’s the truth. And it’s the best drat story to tell at a bar, hands down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Loucks posted:

Any time you lose sight of safety it has a good chance to bite you. I was in the ER a couple months ago because my gallbladder tried to murder me, and the guy in the bay next to me was a retired Marine, 20 years in the service and 10 more carrying concealed, who hosed up and absent mindedly failed to check the chamber on his handgun when putting it away at the range. 'Dry-fired' it to decock it and put a .40 round through his left hand.

Safety has to be the top thing on your mind at all times around guns, for your sake and the sake of the people around you.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Get an AK, The are fun as hell and still cheapish. I love mine.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Guns are tools....nothing less, nothing more.

It all depends on what the application you want to use the gun for determines which gun to get.

Home/self defense? Target practice? Something to make up for lack of penis length?

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

Liquid Communism posted:

Any time you lose sight of safety it has a good chance to bite you. I was in the ER a couple months ago because my gallbladder tried to murder me, and the guy in the bay next to me was a retired Marine, 20 years in the service and 10 more carrying concealed, who hosed up and absent mindedly failed to check the chamber on his handgun when putting it away at the range. 'Dry-fired' it to decock it and put a .40 round through his left hand.

Safety has to be the top thing on your mind at all times around guns, for your sake and the sake of the people around you.

I think any firearms enthusiast would agree though that pulling the trigger while the gun is not pointed down range is the equivalent of flipping the garbage disposal switch while your hand is inside it.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Get a .22 so you can practice shooting with something which has inexpensive ammunition. Then get a 12 ga. shotgun and a .308 rifle and you now can hunt pretty much anything in North America. A shotgun will also give you a sense of security if you are concerned about home invasion. Later, you might also consider a .270 or something for longer range hunting. These are the only guns you should spend money on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bring back old gbs posted:

spinnin that thing all day long, doing the cool flick thing to put the circle dealy back in the shoot hole, gently caress theyre so cool

This is a great way to wreck a revolver, and a seriously douchy thing to do to someone else's gun.

OP, check out the TFR newbie thread. It's stickied right up there at the top. There have been some quality suggestions here (the .22 one in particular) but a good chunk of the forum just loves giving newbies the advice they never got and helping them avoid all the stupid mistakes new gun owners make.

Also:

Plenty O Lentils! posted:

I think any firearms enthusiast would agree though that pulling the trigger while the gun is not pointed down range is the equivalent of flipping the garbage disposal switch while your hand is inside it.

Yeah. Dry fire practice is a thing, but step one of that is to make sure - about 3 times - that your gun is clear and even then don't pull the trigger while pointing it at a person or yourself. The reason gun people get so anal about safety is that zoning out can lead to some pretty hosed up awful poo poo.

That said, so can a lot of other hobbies. I had a motorhead second cousin kill himself when he screwed up setting his car's jack up somehow. Be careful around things that cna hurt you.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My first gun was a glock 26 but it is kind of small and hurts my hand if I fire with it a ton. I'd probably grab a glock 19 if I bought one now.

If you want a rifle just buy a good Ruger 10/22.

If you think that is too small get an ar15.

nmgoh2
Feb 1, 2009
Ruger 10/22 hands-down. ~$200 at Wal-Mart, $150 on sale, $20 from Grandpa.

It's the Toyota Camry of guns. Cheap to run, everyone has one, and there is a whole industry of replacement/modification parts that can evolve with you.

The 22LR round is ~$0.10/bullet so you can go shoot at the range all day, be terrible, and have plenty of cash left for beer afterwards. It's relatively quiet, and welcome on almost any public or private range.

While it isn't *sniper accurate* it's plenty accurate for a novice shooter. Odds are really good that your selection of rifle and round isn't going to make a difference for a long while.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Liquid Communism posted:

Safety has to be the top thing on your mind at all times around guns.

Gun owner for over 20 years and also retired military. This cannot be emphasized enough and should always be your #1 priority.

There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge." It's a negligent discharge because somebody was not following safety rules.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Gun owner for over 20 years and also retired military. This cannot be emphasized enough and should always be your #1 priority.

There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge." It's a negligent discharge because somebody was not following safety rules.

You know you're looking at a guy who's been around guns too much when he indexes the trigger on a bottle of windex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

My dad was a cop. Every "accidental discharge" in his department ended with a Sig Sauer rep coming out who had absolutely no patience for idiot cop's stories about how the gun "just went off."

"Hmm...so that was after you disengaged the safety and put your finger on the trigger, correct?"

• Locked thread