Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not a lot has changed since last year except that this year my friend dogsicle has made the list.

The Rules

Worst Anime 2016 (aka most disappointing)

1.) Pick 3 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted.
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

To be clear, the reason for rule 1 is to avoid everyone's lists being filled with incest animes you didn't watch. I'd much rather focus on things you tried but didn't like, and the reasons why.

Most Avoided Anime 2016

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

1.) You only get one vote in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices

This is basically your vote for the incest anime.

Here is your list for 2016

code:
12-sai: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki
91 Days
Ace of Diamond: Second Season
Active Raid
Active Raid season 2
Aikatsu!
Ajin
Ajin season 2
Alderamin on the Sky
Amanchu!
Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii
Ange Vierge
Anitore! XX
Anne Happy
Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue
Aria the Avvenire
Arslan Senki: Dust Storm Dance
Assassination Classroom season 2
B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious
Bakuon!!
Battery
Berserk
Big Order
Bloodivores
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi / ERASED
Brave Beats
Brave Witches
Bubuke Buranki: The Gentle Giants of the Galaxy
Bubuki Buranki
Bungo Stray Dogs
Bungo Stray Dogs season 2
Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis
Cardfight!! Vanguard G Stride Gate
Cheating Craft
Cheer Boys!!
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
Crane Game Girls
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!
D.gray-man Hallow
DAYS
Dagashi Kashi
Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc
Danganronpa 3: Future Arc
Dimension W
Divine Gate
Dream Festival
Drifters
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
Endride
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya 3rei!!
Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood
First Love Monster
Flip Flappers
Flying Witch
Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu
Fune wo Amu
Future Card Buddyfight 100
GATE: Thus The JSDF Fought There season 2
Gakuen Handsome
Garo: Guren no Tsuki
GintamaA
Girlish Number
Girls Beyond the Wasteland
God Eater
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Hagane Orchestra
Haifuri / High School Fleet
Haikyuu!! Second Season
Haikyuu: Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa
Handa-kun
HaruChika
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Heavy Object
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Hitori no Shita: The Outcast
Honobono Log
Hundred
Izetta: The Last Witch
JK Meshi!
JOKER season 3
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Joker Game
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Kagewani: Shou
Kaijuu Girls
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Kiitaro's Youkai Picture Diary
Kiss Him, Not Me
Kiznaiver
Konosuba
Koyomimonogatari
Kumamiko
Kuromukuro
Kyoukai no Rinne season 2
Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
Love Live! Sunshine!!
Lovely Muco!
Luck & Logic
Lupin III Part 4
Macross Delta
Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
Magic of Stella
Magic-Kyun! Renaissance
Magical Girl Raising Project
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara season 2
Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls
Masou Gakuen HxH
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
Mayoiga / The Lost Village
Miss Bernard Said
Mob Psycho 100
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Momokuri
My Hero Academia
My Wife is the Student Council President!+
Myriad Colors Phantom World
Nanbaka
Natsume Yuujinchou Go
Nazotokine
Netoge / And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?
New Game!
Norn9
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
Occultic;Nine
Ojisan to Marshmallow
Onara Gorou
Onigiri
Ooya-san wa Shishunki!
Orange
Osomatsu-san
Ozmafia!!
Pan de Peace!
Pandora in the Crimson Shell
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Planetarian
Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
Poco's Udon World
Prince of Stride: Alternative
Qualidea Code
Ragnastrike Angels
Rainbow Days
Re:Zero
ReLife
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage
Rewrite
Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan
Sailor Moon Crystal season 3
Sansha Sanyou / Three Leaves, Three Colors
Scared Rider Xechs
Schwarzesmarken
Scorching Ping Pong Girls
Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalite
Sekkou Boys
Servamp
She and Her Cat: Everything Flows
Shin Atashin'chi
Shokugeki no Soma season 2
Shounen Maid
Show By Rock!! #
Show By Rock!! Short!!
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Snow White with Red Hair season 2
Soul Buster
Space Patrol Luluco
Super Lovers
Sushi Police
Sweetness and Lightning
Tabi Machi Late Show
Taboo Tattoo
Tales of Zestiria the X
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Teekyu season 7
Teekyuu season 8
Terraformars Revenge
The Asterisk War season 2
The File of Young Kindaichi Returns season 2
The Glass Mask Year 3 Class D
The Morose Mononokean
The Seven Deadly Sins: Seisen no Shirushi
This Art Club Has a Problem!
This Boy is a Professional Wizard
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Time Travel Girl: Mari, Waka, and the Eight Scientists
To Be Hero
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Touken Ranbu Hanamaru
Tsukiuta. The Animation
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle
Under the Dog
Usakame
Ushio and Tora season 2
Uta no Prince Sama Legend Star
Utawawerumono: The False Faces
ViVid Strike!
[url]WWW.Working!![/url]
Wagamama High Spec
World Trigger
Yami Shibai season 3
Yuri!!! on Ice
Have fun, happy voting!

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What was the incest anime, before I pick yuri on ice as my avoided anime because it involves no actual yuri??

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 26, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

What was the incest anime, before I pick yuri on ice as my avoided anime because it involves no actual yuri??

Most of that was copied and pasted from last year's thread so idk if there was an incest anim this year.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Namtab, you want Gintama° for the season name. The love potion arc is a two ep ova thing.

e: lol awful

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Worst Anime

3. Dimension W: This show had a really solid start, but it fell off the rails pretty quickly, which sucks because it had a great sense of style while it was good, and a loving awesome composer doing the music. By the time I stopped watching, it had just finished an arc about an alternate ghost dimension that had a scene where the cute robot girl ran naked through alternate dimension ghost walls, but then escaped from the ghosts using the power of... believing she could escape??? I planned to catch up, but I gave up when I heard that the main character, who had refused to really develop up to that point, never ended up having any development at all.

2. Nanbaka: It started off as a really fun, goofy comedy show, with an adorable cast, and then it became... a... a serious dramatic shonen action show...???

1. Kumamiko: Yeah this poo poo was just

Most Avoided

Big Order: It's Big Order

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cuntellectual posted:

I can't think of any, and none on the list jog my memory, not even the LN adaptations. Maybe that's died down a bit?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also let the "yuri on ice has no yuri" meme die

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

osomatsu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

also let the "yuri on ice has no yuri" meme die

Memes can never die

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Since I have great taste all the things i watch are good, so I can only offer up one title for this

1. Kumamiko: I thought it'd be cute but it was just mean spirited and not very funny at all. Good ED though

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yuri on Ice has plenty of yuri, it's just about boy yuri

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kumamiko was the kind of adaptation that makes the original author get angry online

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

kumamiko was the kind of adaptation that makes the original author get angry online

I've never seen it, what happened?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cuntellectual posted:

I've never seen it, what happened?

the first chapter or so of the manga had people screwing with machi

all 12 episodes of the anime are people manipulating machi into doing things she's uncomfortable with and trying to discourage her from moving out of the village by exploiting her lack of knowledge about city life and ultimately making her terrified of strangers

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

[b][/berserk 2016]

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Nearly everything I watched this year was great, so I was pretty pleased about that. Of course, I don't tend to watch stuff unless I have a decent reason to think I'd enjoy it, so normally the worst thing that'll happen is that a show's a bit disappointing or ends badly or something. That said, there were a few worthy of note this year.

3: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
This is one of those shows that wasn't so much bad as disappointing, but the reason it makes the list is that there was so much potential here! It was mostly just me getting overly excited in the end, but I'm a big fan of the games and was really looking forward to seeing how the series would turn out. Alarm bells started going when I saw the OP, which was definitely the most terrible and generic one I saw all year, and then the rest of the show only backed that up by being a bit half-hearted in general. The animation was cheap, the music didn't stand out, and so on. It was hardly a shambles, but it was a huge, bland disappointment, and I lost interest around the beginning of case 3. From what I've heard, things honestly improved from there, but I was never drawn back in.

2: Bakuon!!
The show, for around the first five or six episodes, was really enjoyable at times. I'll admit I can't remember much of it now, but seeing Ducatis in the show just so they could be trashed all the time was fun, Stig-Girl was always amusing, and I seem to remember some amazing bit where Jesus showed up for some reason. There was the odd weird or creepy joke or scene every now and then, but that kind of thing comes with the territory in a lot of anime to a degree, so it could be mostly ignored. Then there were a few episodes in a row where most of the jokes and scenes were weird and creepy, or just fell completely flat, and the whole show just fell apart. I stopped watching there, so perhaps things improved, or perhaps I'm not remembering too well and am exaggerating things, but there we are.

1: DAYS
No hesitation here. I was forced to watch a good deal of this with a friend who was hoping for a good football anime. Even being objective and ignoring the fact that I'm really not a fan of football at all, this show was a pile of shite. The premise - that this bloody idiot joins somehow joins the football team at the top school in the country for it despite having never played before, and sticks around by murdering himself in practices - was shite, and the main character was one of the worst I've ever seen. I honestly couldn't really tell you much about anything else in the show. Was the music good? The directing? The animation? No idea. The main character was just so bad that I've blocked everything else out. From what I've heard, the guy only got worse and worse, which is something I can scarcely imagine.

Most Avoided: Myriad Colours Phantom World
Not much to say here. I heard the show was bad and that the only thing it had going for it was the great animation. Figured I'd see if the animation made up for everything else that was apparently bad, and watched - I think - the first two episodes. It was about as bad as I'd heard and more or less completely uninteresting, and I saw no reason to watch any of the rest of it.

There's all my picks. I'm sure there are some far, far worse shows that came out this year, but I didn't watch them, so I can't really comment.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
1. Berserk 2016: Terrible animation, bad sound effects, worse music than the 90s series. It was one of my favorite arcs, too.
2. Osomatsu-san: I watched the first episode and it was just references, no actual humor.
3. Yuri On Ice: I didn't watch any of this and I won't because it has no elements that interest me. I don't have a problem with the subject matter but it boggles my mind as to why anime fans found it so popular given usual proclivities.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Relin posted:

2. Osomatsu-san: I watched the first episode and it was just references, no actual humor.
3. Yuri On Ice: I didn't watch any of this and I won't because it has no elements that interest me. I don't have a problem with the subject matter but it boggles my mind as to why anime fans found it so popular given usual proclivities.

hrm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Relin posted:

so how does that make it the worst anime of the year if you didnt watch it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also anime fans liked yuri on ice because women watch anime and like hot dudes in skintight skating outfits flirting with each other

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also seems to find it's popularity confusing despite never seeing it and it's premise being rather basic. Especially for a sports anime.

So I wonder why he hates it, hmmmmm.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also it was a pretty good show, with good writing and good characters

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Relin posted:

1. Berserk 2016: Terrible animation, bad sound effects, worse music than the 90s series. It was one of my favorite arcs, too.

Peep the rules my dog

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The first osomatsu is so good it's literally a crime!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how about you watch things, instead of pre-judge every show on the forum and rate every thread for a show it sounds like you wouldn't like a 1

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To be fair I also avoided Yuri on ice

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, but you're spared from a sick burn cause we don't have an SAclopedia page for a Namtab Vote

of course, this burn is forever lost cause the relin vote page is gone now?? i hope i didn't just create a reverse-burn on myself

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Relin posted:

It's worth mentioning, but the first episode of osomatsu is completely unlike the rest of the show. It stops being reference heavy afterwards and it's worth watching at least the second episode to see how that show's style is actually like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let's go through some of relin's posts to find out

quote:

lol this narcissist white bitch thinks people are glaring at her because her legs on spread on a half full train they're glaring because they have to take public transportation from their lovely jobs to their lovely families and vice versa

quote:

duh but this woman obv thinks that knowing about obscure things puts her above her peers

quote:

the fat white girl supply is overflowing in the goblet of online dating. lower your standards

hm

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Namtab posted:

3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was pretty sure we still had that rule lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i'm just trying to pull a slam dunk on the dude cause he had a whole saclopedia page about how he does the thing he literally just did in this thread...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Namtab posted:

To be fair I also avoided Yuri on ice

I didn't watch it either because I don't care for sports anime.

This dudes reasoning is just bizarre.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i'm just trying to pull a slam dunk on the dude cause he had a whole saclopedia page about how he does the thing he literally just did in this thread...

That doesn't sound like being civil imo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I kinda feel like picking Yuri on ice because I'm not into bl is a bit mean spirited so I'm gonna choose something else for my actual vote

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There hasn't been any uncivil posts yet, as far as I have seen.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hush up bout relin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can i vote for yurikuma again

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

can i vote for yurikuma again

the manga finished tling this year I guess

Adbot