Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wound up rambling a bit too much but heck, here it goes

Re:Zero - Contained some very light novel-y as heck exposition vomit that was really turning me off, and while I might have watched more out of curiosity over its popularity, a tornado hit while I was in the middle of the second episode (technically third, as its premiere was double-length) and I took it as a sign that I shouldn't watch any more Re:Zero.

Macross Delta - It's hard for me to nail down exactly what I disliked about this show, because it was pretty much every minute I watched. I'm a big Macross fan and while I'm absolutely not opposed to seeing entries getting a bit wild instead of sticking to its roots (My favorite entry, after all, features a rock band fighting space demons with sound lasers), it just didn't do anything for me. Though I suppose the same could be said for how I felt about a lot of Kawamori's output during this decade. Hated the characters, the art direction, the CG felt many years out of date, and I didn't even like the music which is a real bummer since I've enjoyed some of the songs in even the weaker parts of the franchise. Despite all that I might have given it another chance if I heard good things about the ending, but instead a lot of what I heard was that the first few episodes were the strongest by far, and since I hated those I figured no sense in dwelling on it. Better luck next time, and I'm hoping that by then Kawamori finally steps away from the franchise.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - I felt that G-Reco, the prior Gundam series, was one of the best things to happen to the franchise in nearly 15 years. But despite that, I had some hopes for this show. The main folks in charge weren't from Sunrise's usual stable of mecha directors/writers. And it looked like it was going for a grittier, more grounded story than recent entries to the franchise, so I had hoped it would be a breath of fresh air. And for the early episodes, it was! The opening episodes were violent in a way that wasn't ceremonious, deaths would be sudden and there wouldn't be time for any melodrama.

Unfortunately after awhile it runs into a problem similar to Attack On Titan. Once the core cast is firmly established, the illusion that they're living in a dangerous, gritty setting in which they could die at any moment just goes right out the window. I've noticed that one of the reoccurring problems in the weaker Okada scripts I've seen is that the character drama winds up feeling very artificial, and when it comes to important character deaths IBO is no exception. There's a character death that happens in the middle of the show. It's a character that has been around for a lot of episodes up to that point. She wasn't given much in the way of development or backstory until the episode she dies. It's a real hokey bit of writing that crops up in anime from time to time; a lengthy flashback meant to make you feel sympathetic right before they die. It's not inherently bad writing but the way it's usually handled is. To the show's credit, the other major character that was killed off had plenty of development before then, though the main complaint you can levy against that particular death is that killing off the fat guy is a hoary old mecha anime cliche.

Despite that I stuck with it, and the season finale dashed any remaining hopes. A combination of being unwilling to kill off anyone important (the final battle kills off named characters so tertiary that you probably didn't even know they had names, while putting named characters in equally dangerous situations that escape with barely a scratch), adhering to some old Gundam plot points without understanding what made them work in the first place, and an antagonist whose motives are so shrouded in mystery that I'm not even sure the people making the dang show knew what's up with him during that first season. It was the sort of ending that I felt okay on initially but every time I thought about it since it aired I disliked it more and more, to the point where I'm not even going to bother with the second season no matter what I hear about it.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Erased - I don't think this is a bad anime by any means, in fact I'd call it pretty decent overall! But talking about disappointing shows is a way more interesting topic than stuff that's outright bad, since the actual worst anime are all boring as heck to watch and boring as heck to talk about. Erased had an explosive start. The great direction combined a solid visual motif with impeccable pacing such that it really makes you want to watch the next episode ASAP. And for a show with such reliance on suspense, that's a real important trait to have! The first two thirds are thrilling, as our protagonist with the power to go back in time to his younger self uses his knowledge of the future to try to stop a string of local murders. It's the best part of the show by far and if the whole series kept that quality up I definitely wouldn't be talking about it here.

Unfortunately, once the murderer is revealed a lot of what I liked went straight out the window. It's probably a cliche to refer to that one Stephen King essay about how the scariest monster is the one that's not revealed, but hell, it absolutely applies here. There's a lot of talk by the murderer telling the protagonist that they're both alike, that they're linked together, etc. But it all rings hollow to the point where it feels completely undeserved and unsatisfying. And while I have no problem with an anime being blatant about the power of friendship being used to save the day, here it feels a little too on the nose. The final stretch of episodes is far from the worst dive in quality I've seen in anime, not by a long shot. But it's a bummer to see a show go from being an incredibly compelling piece of work that I could universally recommend without any caveats, to an alright show that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I think about how its last arc went down.

Concrete Revolutio - The very definition of a show I really wanted to like more than I actually did. Season one had some strong standalone episodes but while the overarching plot aimed high, it wound up having some very mixed messages and an overall unwillingness to fully commit. Despite that I still felt positive enough about the standalone content to continue on to season two. Unfortunately that season amplified both the stuff I liked and the stuff I didn't. Many of the standalone episodes were stronger than the first, but the overarching plot was a complete mess that didn't seem to know quite what it wanted to be until the very end in a way that felt like they changed plans between seasons (Stuff like aliens that possessed people and were controlling the government was resolved in a way that definitely felt like that). The political messages of the first season wind up getting swapped for a message that anime and manga aren't just for children, delivered by one of those lame types of anime villains that had been behind the scenes making mysterious plans in the background for the entire seasons, so it was a slap in the face to see its ultimate message boiled down to that. It's the sort of thing where even though I wouldn't call it a bad show, the cons were such that by the end of it all I guess it just burnt me out on watching current anime for awhile.

Most Avoided:

Thunderbolt Fantasy and Keijo. The former because while the puppet stuff sounded neat, I was wary that it would be yet another Urobuchi script and then I heard confirmation that it was indeed, yet another Urobuchi script. With the latter, even ignoring the discourse around the show the examples I've seen of the show's humor were incredibly unfunny to me to the point where it completely turned me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Srice posted:

I might have watched more out of curiosity over its popularity, a tornado hit while I was in the middle of the second episode (technically third, as its premiere was double-length) and I took it as a sign that I shouldn't watch any more Re:Zero

Careful, last time a series of real life disasters stopped me from watching a popular show, it was Toradora and it was great. I've come to the conclusion that god doesn't want people to watch good anime. Also you should give Re:Zero another shot. It gets really good and pretty much does the opposite of what IBO did in terms of writing as the series goes on in that the violence is always grim and you never feel that the main characters are "safe."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think Haifuri and Izetta are the only shows I dropped for being bad after three episodes instead of before

kiznaiver is the worst show I finished

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Careful, last time a series of real life disasters stopped me from watching a popular show, it was Toradora and it was great. I've come to the conclusion that god doesn't want people to watch good anime. Also you should give Re:Zero another shot. It gets really good and pretty much does the opposite of what IBO did in terms of writing as the series goes on in that the violence is always grim and you never feel that the main characters are "safe."

the premise of rezero is such that the characters are literally always safe. thats like the one guarantee

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

the premise of rezero is such that the characters are literally always safe. thats like the one guarantee

No, the main character is always safe. Well, physically at least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

AnoHito posted:

I will say that if I had been enjoying it up to that point I wouldn't let something like a tornado stop me from watching more, but that didn't wind up being the case. Mostly just mentioned it since it's something I'll always associate with the show haha.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

luluco - cute but boring dropped after like 3 ep

kiznaiver - too exposition heavy, over-saturated with characters, dropped after like 5 episodes

most avoided

dragon ball super - better to watch dragon ball after it's ended, imo...

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lemon-Lime posted:

Most Avoided:
Vivid Strikers: I wanted more Fate and Nanoha being Vivio's mamas (or at least the second half of the tournament arc from Vivid), but instead got a show with a first episode so creepy and boring that I instantly dropped it. I'm glad I did, considering the later gifs of elementary schoolers getting graphically murdered.

it was good. the fight scenes have a lot of emotion put into them so it plays out like a good sports anime at its strong points. the bully beatdown was graphic, but also a purposefully shocking moment in the history of one of the mains and her driving motivation comes from it. there's a lot of befriending and eventually marriage.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Srice posted:

Thunderbolt Fantasy and Keijo. The former because while the puppet stuff sounded neat, I was wary that it would be yet another Urobuchi script and then I heard confirmation that it was indeed, yet another Urobuchi script.

but it's the urobuchi script where his mellow, pragmatic characters finally get their revenge on the forces of edgy conniving headcases

1. Izetta: I was expecting Valkyria Chronicles, but got Keio Flying Squadron
2. Berserk: The Teekyu guy?

THE loving TEEKYU GUY???

Endorph posted:

The director's actually really good, but he'd never worked in 3D before.
I don't believe you. He made the Devil May Cry anime. If he does have any skills, full length narrative shows ain't them.

3. Handa-kun: Barakamon was so good. Why's this so bad? Is it the anime staff's fault? Are they even worse than the Kumamiko people???
4. Kumamiko: The creepy stuff is pretty traditionally creepy, where it gets really interesting is the soul-crushing stuff. It's like moe for people who like to see the human spirit extinguished.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

3. Izetta

I can't quite put my finger on why I dropped this show. I guess everything about it just felt really mediocre after a while, and I couldn't really keep my interest in it after a while.

2. Dimension W

I wasn't as disappointed in this show as a lot of other people seem to be, mostly because i didn't think it was that fantastic early on. With that said though I was still disappointed with it, especially the last arc. Suddenly treating a character who earlier talked about how a woman was beautiful because he could control her as a good guy without him showing any growth was super weird, and the show ended on what felt like a really forced "final boss" monster that came out of nowhere.

1. Macross Delta

Right after this show ended I felt that the negative reaction to it was a bit overblown, but the more I think about it the more I dislike it. From an action standpoint it started really good, but quickly lost what made it unique and the fights ended up feeling very samey, and was really bad at using the the valkyries' gimmick, which for a macross show is really bad. From a writing standpoint it similarly started good, but about halfway through it really started spinning its wheels, and one character's subplot was seriously mishandled. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the final episode largely revolved around this character, so I ended up completely emotionally unengaged in the finale because the show hadn't given me a reason to care about the character. Speaking of the finale, the main conflict ends up completely sidelined by a secondary conflict very late in the show, so what was supposed to the main conflict goes unresolved even after the show's end and a lot of things end up feeling pointless as a result. I also had some smaller issues as a long-time Macross fan, but those are nitpicky and not really worth mentioning.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Kumamiko was without a doubt the worst thing I watched this year. The main char just seemed to have a horrible social anxiety and kept being thrown into places where that just exacerbated into even worse situations. That and the ending making even the original author mad is like...nooope nooope.

I'll add more if I can think of them.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Srice summed up my major complaints with Erased which was the only thing I watched this year that really disappointed me. Despite that I do hope we get more anime like it because up until that very last episode I enjoyed every minute of it and I heard that there aren't many murder/suspense anime out there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Srice summed up my major complaints with Erased which was the only thing I watched this year that really disappointed me. Despite that I do hope we get more anime like it because up until that very last episode I enjoyed every minute of it and I heard that there aren't many murder/suspense anime out there.

Monster is real good, if you haven't read/watched it already.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

mouryo no hako

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Droyer posted:

3. Izetta

I can't quite put my finger on why I dropped this show. I guess everything about it just felt really mediocre after a while, and I couldn't really keep my interest in it after a while.

For me, it was a combination of a plodding plot (you could've condensed Episode 4 into, like, 6-10 minutes easily) and a decidedly uninteresting premise. If Izetta had been a reluctant ally whose motives conflicted with that of Princess Fine, then there's drama that can be exploited (because you don't know if she's going to stick around forever, or if she'll turn tail during a critical moment when she gets a better offer) to tell a good story, but when her sole motivation boils down to, "Princess Fine is my friend and I'm going to help her 100%," and she seems to have zero problems winning every fight, what am I watching the show for?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Oh wait I do have a 3rd anime: Magical Girl Raising Project I dropped after maybe 5 episodes? Wasn't doing anything for me. I don't know if I'd really call it disappointing since I didn't have that much faith in it to start with, but I stayed with it for longer than I expected at least.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Berserk was the worst anime of 2016. It took a great property with great art and made it awfully ugly. Bad designs, bad direction, bad sound, bad everything.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Izetta isn't awful - our two leads are likable enough and while they don't develop nearly as much as I would have liked over the course of the show, they have decent enough chemistry, the show occasionally blunders into giving them some genuinely warm and tender moments together (yeah I'm not gonna pretend I am anything other than a total sucker for "That Scene From Aladdin, but on a broom and with pretty lesbians"), and the big action scenes are reasonably entertaining, but everything else reeks of wasted potential. There were a ton of really compelling things that could have been done with this setting and premise -melodramatic doomed (or not-doomed, for that matter) gay romance, commentary on institutional bigotry, commentary on things we might have lost to the cold onset of modernity, conspiracy-ridden war story, I could go on- but the show merrily meandered past just about all of them, and failed to really commit to any of the ideas it DID bring up hard enough to make any of them shine. It wasn't so bad that I regret spending 25 minutes of each of my last several sleepy Saturday mornings catching up with it, but it was definitely a disappointment, and that's harsher criticism than I have for basically anything else I spent real time on this year.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

#1: Berserk: Bad models, bad rigs and bad direction is the stuff everybody knows about, but it's mostly the degree to which the story and tone were fumbled that killed this for me. Entire story arcs are cut out, resulting in a series that's 90% boring vignettes that lack much-needed context. The scenes that do remain are stripped of all meaning they had in the manga. Prime example: the skeleton fight in episode 1 is turned from a grueling battle that drives home how hopeless and desperate Guts' situation is to a standard action scene with chugging guitars in the background and cheesy sound effects. It's just a numbing, dull and ugly show that doesn't really exhibit any of the manga's strong points.

#2: Mayoiga: I've tried to look at this show from a lot of different angles and I just can't find a way to appreciate it. As a straightforward horror show it's too silly and farcical, but as a farce/comedy its bright points are very few and far between and it spends way too much time just spinning its wheels. I watched way more of this show than I ever wanted waiting for a gear shift that never happened and I kinda regret it.

#3: Hitori no Shita: Obligatory third pick. I couldn't even make it to the end of the first episode, which speaks volumes.

e: Actually #3: is Big Order because I forgot about the three episode rule while writing this. It's one of those shows where the need to push the envelope with regards to dark content seems to take precedence over good pacing and worthwhile character development. It's also a total wash when it comes to tone, whereas I think tone is the strongest point of the Big Order author's other works. It tries very hard to shock and be over-the-top but because it lacks any standout qualities other than being slightly weird I just can't muster the enthusiasm to even watch much of it.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 26, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, my jam! making GBS threads on shows that wasted my time!

1. Erased: This is basically like last year's Rokka no Yuusha: A deece show that kinda went to poo poo by the end. More disappointing than outright rage-inducing, though. The one thing that bothered me outside of the show losing its steam was Satoru's voice. I read somewhere that Tomohiko Itou wanted somebody that wasn't so well-known or prone to having a "seiyuu-like" quality to their voice for the main character. Which, if you're going for a kid character (like in Barakamon, where they used actual kids for Naru and Hina), works great. But I'm sure that there's plenty of VA's that can pull out normal, non-exaggerated voices without breaking a sweat and without taking me out of the show(Yoshimasa Hosoya is so ridiculously good at this, it's basically how I recognize his voice nowadays), which the guy who ended up voicing Satoru often did.
  2. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: gently caress this Misery Porn piece of poo poo show. KonoSuba won me back on the whole "Trapped in Another World / Isekai" setup with its comedy and Re:Zero, while not my bag, did do the whole "SAO but darker" thing way better than this abortion. The priest dude's death in Episode 4 was cringe-worthy in a way that the studio probably didn't intend to.
  3. Schwarzesmarken: That's it. While I loved Unlimited and the main Alternative story, I'm officially loving done with the Muv-Luv franchise. It has Aliens + Mecha + Fanservice. It's basically like a 90's Roland Emmerich wet dream, and they still hosed it up!

Dishonourable mentions:
  • Izetta: The Last Witch: This was going to get the vote, but I realized that Schwarzesmarken aired this year, and gently caress that show. Maybe it's because my uncle + oldest 1st cousin are both war buffs that I often tend to experience OK stuff that concerns or happens around World War II that I said "Ok, let's watch this", but nope. It was dull. How do you gently caress up a World War II story?
  • Myriad Colors Phantom World: How difficult it is to make a fanservice show boring? Especially with a girl that's half Kirby! What the hell?!
  • Kumamiko: Best ED. Unfortunately, the rest of the show was not so hot, even with a talking bear voiced by Guile.
  • Kuromukuro / Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: I'm sure that if 15-year-old me had seen these shows, he would've flipped his poo poo so hard, he would've decided to become an animator or screenwriter instead of a musician / recording engineer. Unfortunately for these shows, I am 32 I just can't get all that hyped-up for this type of show anymore. They were okay, but it just wasn't enough to do much for me. Which is a shame given the fact that these two got the kind of attention and mass release it got by virtue of getting the Netflix and Amazon Prime treatments. Even more unfortunately, that summer before I turned 15 (1999) I had the opportunity to go see Blink-182 and a shitload of other cool bands in Warped Tour, so they never truly stood a chance. My idea to make them better would've been this weird swap: Keep Kuromukuro a 12-episode joint instead of making it a 26-episode chore and Kabaneri should've give us some time to get used to handsome guy voiced by Mamoru Miyano instead of just plopping him into the end of episode 7. All in all, I slightly preferred Kabaneri just because it felt bigger (aliens in Kuromukuro notwithstanding), dumber and funner, but they were both disappointments.

Most avoided:
  • Shokugeki no Soma: I honestly hope that there's a third season once the manga is close to conclusion because I want to binge-watch this. Only episode I watched was when Best Girl's Mom Showed up because Sayaka Ohara is the best and we need more cute moms voiced by her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juRktqiMgBI

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1. Macross Delta started strong. It was energetic, the songs were nice, and the girls were cute. And then the whole thing just stalled. Nothing ever went anywhere, the main conflict didn't end and nothing was resolved, instead the glasses guy tried to make a galactic hive mind via song or something. The neat dance fighting that Hayato did early in the season completely disappeared, in favor of glowing crystals and glowing planes. Most of the action ended up being extremely boring dogfights. Planes moving around in formations that didn't make sense, occasionally glowing and going faster. What a disappointment. At least the songs are still good.

2. Dimension W just sucked. Mira was too good for this show. The main character was just a petty dick throughout. The ghost dimension arc was pointless nonsense. And the whole show ended on a video game final boss, with the most idiotic motivation ever. Bad.

3. Unlike the other two I didn't finish Kiznaiver. Watched like four episodes and gave up. Aesthetically neat, but most of the characters were obnoxious, the exposition never stopped and it didn't seem like it was going to go anywhere.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of the character arcs in kiznaiver actually does go somewhere really good, it's just that it's literally only that character who really goes anywhere interesting to the point that she kind of outshines the main character's own development and everyone else in the cast ends up either totally stagnant or weirdly inconsistent and basically all irrelevant to the finale

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i have only finished one thing i feel comfortable calling bad, so:

1) Kagewani: Shou: the first season started as a week-by-week show about different monsters attacking civilians, with the MC appearing to survey the aftermath. the format isn't original, but it gives an opportunity to tell short, original stories. by the end of that season and well into the second (this season) it became entirely focused on the chuuni-idol protagonist and his fight to control the monsters that pursue him, which, it turns out, all act basically the same. this same studio does yami shibai so the lackluster animation isn't a surprise, but it feels like another let down when the the story drops its' transmission on the drat highway. if you can't characterize the MC well, i'd rather see your monster designs.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kiznaiver was annoying because the first 9 eps are real good at the cast bouncing off each other and having author girl's arc cap off was great

and then they decide that the smaller personal stories they'd been telling weren't good enough and the last two eps are dealing with a city wide threat that's way boring and left field relationship stuff

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

good point. honorary mention to kiznavier for having a good 2-3 episodes about the manga girl and basically nothing on either side of that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In no particular order:

Active Raid: Power-armoured police procedurals should not be this dull. The plot was meandering and half-assed, and the action so-so, leaving the show to rely on its static, one-dimensional characters and stale, gimmicky comedy, which could barely support the three-episode test, let alone a two-cour runtime. Probably the emptiest show Goro Taniguchi has ever put his name on.

Dimension W: A galloping hot mess of sci-fi cliches that veered between stale, incomprehensible, and uncomfortable, particularly in its treatment of its female characters - quite apart from the two separate harsh-but-noble warriors who routinely beat on their passive female companions, just how many motivational dead wives does one show need?

Garo: Guren no Tsuki: Definitely the year's biggest disappointment - a huge stepdown from the excellent Honoo no Kokuin, a visually uninspired animation trainwreck with writing and characters too dependent on re-heated shonen cliches to make it worth watching despite the hideous visuals.

Most avoided:

Super Lovers: It's about a romance between an adult and the feral child they take in and raise as their adopted sibling. It's actually quite impressive how much nope they managed to pack into such a short premise.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean this thread sort of reminded me I haven't really watched a whole lot of shows this season, at least ones that I stuck to the point that they left a negative impression on me.

So the only two shows that I watched which I dropped pretty early were

1) Classicaloid- I like classic music and the premise sounded stupid enough that it could be fun. It was just stupid, no fun whatsover and the music was drab arrangements. Dropped with prejudice after the first episode.

2) Kumamiko- I really like the manga and the show started off well enough. It got painful to watch near the end.

I ignored Berserk really hard because everything I saw about its animations through gifs and such pointed to it having way worse animations than a loving puppet show. Puppet show ruled.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

good point. honorary mention to kiznavier for having a good 2-3 episodes about the manga girl and basically nothing on either side of that.
the 2-3 eps about the manga girl were bad because they ended up with the implication that she was gonna be straight now

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I ignored Berserk really hard because everything I saw about its animations through gifs and such pointed to it having way worse animations than a loving puppet show. Puppet show ruled.

Wait, Puppet show? Like, Thunderbirds?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Endorph posted:

the 2-3 eps about the manga girl were bad because they ended up with the implication that she was gonna be straight now

not in those episodes though, as i recall. the pairing of her and pretty boy was poorly written, but that brief period was well done.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Watch Thunderbolt Fantasy. It owns.

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013
1. Dagashi Kashi: Repetitive and boring, and never did move away from its one gag routine.

2. Ace Attorney: I watched this out of curiosity because I had heard so much about the franchise and wanted to see what it was about, it was a fairly rote and uninteresting outside of the in show samurai show episode which was a highlight but the only one for me before I dropped it.

Dishonorable Mention:
Myriad Colors Phantom: This show was rather inconsistent but it ended up in dishonorable mention because despite its massive flaws and some dreadful episodes there were episodes I had fun watching.

Most Avoided:
Kumamiko: Watched the first episode, put it off for the season, then I heard about the ending and other things others have gone over already and lost interest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

the eps themselves were good, the stuff with blue haired guy was kind of just another fault of the rest of the show. i'm still angry that after her arc ended it pretty much all became irrelevant, including the scene earlier on that literally mirrored a hosed up emotional scene from her manga that just never really came up again even though it should have set up a whooooooole ton of questions about what her actual feelings on blue haired guy are

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 27, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wark Say posted:

https://u.pomf.is/mhzajh.webm

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Nothing I watched 3 episodes of was really that bad, but still.

2. Joker Game: I quit around the fourth episode. A less episodic approach and more fleshed-out protagonists would probably have worked better.

1. Schwarzesmarken: I quite this one around the fourth episode, too, although it's hard to pin down why. Maybe it was because the harem elements they were setting up clashed with the super-grim setting. It's still probably better than Total Eclipse, at least.

Dishonorable mention: Rewrite: Couldn't get through the first episode; it was just boring.

Most avoided: Super Lovers

Edit: Removed a show I just realized wasn't on the list.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 27, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1. Cheer Boys!! - So, so many things that didn't deliver in this show. Production was consistently lackluster, notably so when it came to training and actual plot important cheerleading routines being animated with lots of stills. Between this mistreatment of what should've been impactful performances and the focus skewing towards character drama, the show didn't do much to represent a less common sport (which had been a big draw for me). A midseason addition of characters resulted in a cast more than twice its original size with plenty of the new characters getting next to no development. There were also some gags that just stuck with me in how bad they were. Namely the constant surprise by teammates that the fat guy had a girlfriend (oh, and wtf she's attractive too!?!) and the otherwise level-headed captain freaking out when a guy on the team came out and gave him valentine's chocolate.

2. DAYS - oof. This show had a promising start with great animation but that quickly deteriorated (MAPPA too busy on Yuri!!! on Ice?) and resulted in multiple episodes per game with recaps and an excess of stills and bad cg players. The MC's athletic development wasn't conveyed well, but worse than that is the show's failure to establish strong character dynamics from the get-go. Tsukamoto has a good dynamic with another team's forward in addition to his relationship with the female manager (probably the best character in the show hands down), but aside from a few other characters the show really lacks the feeling that these guys are a team but also distinct individuals. It takes more than halfway into the season for us to learn anything about some characters that we've seen as starters for the past 10 episodes! I'm amazed this is getting another season at all.

3. Dagashi Kashi - I feel like this adaptation did a disservice to the manga. What was a frenetically paced comedy about candy became a candyshop pastoral, and the benefits of that didn't outweigh the slow pace and dampened punchlines. Definitely interesting as a look at how an adaptation can come out with a very different idea/presentation of a series, but not a good one in my book.

Avoided:
First Love Monster. I read the first couple chapters of the manga when the anime was announced, thinking the premise would make for a good comedy. Turns out it was seriously going for romance between a high-schooler and a fifth grader. Toss in an attempted rape the girl has to be saved from and I figured the anime was a hard pass.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Magical Girl Raising Project - I don't care if it's dumb, I was disappointed in how miserable this show got. The initial idea of magical girls coming from all kinds of backgrounds (a boy, a lesbian couple, a homeless teen, etc) was great, but these characters lacked any development outside of pre-death flashbacks (bar one). I feel like one of the early deaths came too soon to really wring pathos, while another went too far in the opposite direction. And of course, the lesbians died. Overall as the death count rose I found myself losing interest, aside from hoping for some sort of catharsis as the villains were taken down (this kind of happened). In a show like this, I understand death will happen but certainly don't expect or want a sole survivor situation, which is almost what this boiled down to. A minor quibble would be that despite it being part of her arc, watching Snow White spend the series being ineffectually passive became a bit frustrating by the end.

Battery - I'm not sure how to tackle this one. A show using baseball seriously as an extended metaphor for homosexual relationships is really interesting in theory, and Battery delivers on this in some aspects. Notably the conflict between Harada and his coach/parents/peers, and the toxic relationship between the boys on the rival team. However the little brother character is a little too precocious/all-knowing, and ultimately a show that's this heavily coded feels a little like a letdown in terms of what I would want out of gay fiction. There's also the matter of the final episode, which opened with a baffling cartoonish nightmare sequence and ends rather ambiguously.

The Morose Mononokean - This one just came off boring and a little to eager to try pulling heartstrings, in addition to looking cheap. From the episodes I watched the yokai stories (I don't think they're really based on real yokai either?) all fall away to reveal some sad backstory while neatly concluding in one episode. It's a formula that didn't work for me, and even the promise brought by a trip to an interesting-seeming spirit world felt like it might just revert to the same stuff after.

B Project: Kodou*Ambitious - What was an otherwise mostly fun and goofy series of standalone episodes was brought down heavily by some producer and revenge drama in the final two episodes, and the comedy value of how abruptly it was presented didn't outweigh how badly it knocked the show off its landing. The relatively bland female protagonist (with the power of slightly better than human hearing) was either inserted into this male idol unit for an undisclosed reason or as part of petty revenge for some unnamed act her father did. While I never took the show seriously enough to have this genuinely sour my feelings on it, I would've liked a female lead that felt like she had more of a place in the story, and also a story that had a more coherent ending.

My Hero Academia - I didn't particularly care for the slow pace this adaptation took and dropped it about halfway through. Even going back to view some of the action sequences that would really sell the show, they just kinda fell flat for me. Big fan of the manga but I hope they manage to adapt the Sports Festival Arc better this coming year.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WHOA! What the gently caress? That was unexpectedly metal! Is this a show that I need to watch sober? Or can I watch this drunk with my buddies / girlfriend?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is very good either way. expect to see thunderbolt fantasy on a lot of top lists when the best anime thread goes up.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

After reading this thread I actually remembered which shows I watched so I'll amend this post

El Burbo posted:

Since I have great taste all the things i watch are good, so I can only offer up one title for this

1. Kumamiko: I thought it'd be cute but it was just mean spirited and not very funny at all. Good ED though

2. Dagashi Kashi: The manga is rapid fire and short, with bite-sized chapters that you can quickly cosume, like its namesake. So when you get to the adaptation and it's incredibly plodding it is impossible to keep interest in it. Probably would have worked better as a short, I think. Saya is best girl

3. Myriad Colors Phantom World: Kyoani can't make an ugly show but they sure can make a completely trite and boring one, if I wanted to see fanservice going to this show's pixiv tag would probably be more entertaining.

Avoided:

Magical Girl Raising Project: On top of not really liking the battle royale style of stuff, reading spoilers for how it would go down with most everyone dying successfully killed any interest I had gotten from reading the phrase "boy magical girl'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Active Raid: Power-armoured police procedurals should not be this dull. The plot was meandering and half-assed, and the action so-so, leaving the show to rely on its static, one-dimensional characters and stale, gimmicky comedy, which could barely support the three-episode test, let alone a two-cour runtime. Probably the emptiest show Goro Taniguchi has ever put his name on.

The baseline level for Active Raid was nothing special, but I was frankly lucky enough to never find the show half as dull as you did. There were plenty of amusing scenes and a couple of great episodes. Unsurprisingly, Taniguchi himself predicted that most folks would react like you did, because this was nothing like his previous works and much closer to Akibaranger and Dekaranger. Extremely lighthearted fare without tons of depth nor great action, although it had a few cool sequences. Still, it found a niche reception (column 1, higher is better) and sold better than you'd expect back home. I am hoping for something more ambitious and/or substantial from Goro's next projects though (everyone will watch Geass, but I'll check out ID-0 even if nobody else does).

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 27, 2016

• Locked thread