Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't understand why they insist on splitting the cities at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't understand why they insist on splitting the cities at all.
Couple reasons:
1) You need two arenas to run the tournament, and most cities don't have two big ones. In this case, splitting the cities is super dumb when Toronto has fuckin Ricoh (8,000 seats iirc) down the road from the ACC, but I get why they do it when they go to small cities in Finland or Saskatchewan. I think Buffalo is using their practice rink as their secondary arena, which is a little weird when that arena is sub-2,000 seats and Hamilton is only a short drive away
2) Splitting the cities means there's potential to engage two different hockey markets and thus fill those two big arenas. It doesn't actually work like that unless Canada is in every game, but the potential is theoretically there. There's no reason to do it this year, nor is there one when it's Montreal's turn to headline, but c'est la vie

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, the person I talked to said that discussions were had about the Ricoh but that they were already committed to the split city thing when it became apparent that it wasn't really working. Theoretically using two full-size arenas adds ~9000 seats over using the ACC and Ricoh, but that was probably overly optimistic on the organizers part.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Pittsburgh wanted it too for 2018 and would be a great venue for it but they opted for Buffalo instead. I get that I guess because of the travel issue but Pittsburgh would pack that poo poo if they brought it there just for the novelty.

It was between Pittsburgh (secondary arena in either Johnstown or Erie), St Louis (secondary arena in St Charles) or Buffalo (secondary arena at HarborCenter), and between the US/Canada at Rich Stadium gimmick, the distance from the Canadian border and USA Hockey's love affair with Buffalo it was a no-brainer of a decision.

Shame, though: I wanted the WJCs near me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Finland beat latvia again, so latvia gets relegated and stupid finland gets to stay :(

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

It was between Pittsburgh (secondary arena in either Johnstown or Erie), St Louis (secondary arena in St Charles) or Buffalo (secondary arena at HarborCenter), and between the US/Canada at Rich Stadium gimmick, the distance from the Canadian border and USA Hockey's love affair with Buffalo it was a no-brainer of a decision.

Shame, though: I wanted the WJCs near me.

You'll probably get a shot. As long as TSN continues to pay up, US will get a bunch of tourneys for time zone reasons if cities want to host it. And despite ticket sales, I don't think I've heard anything negative about tv ratings.

Although I think the tourney is better in smaller cities where it can be the main event rather than somewhere it might run behind NBA/NFL/NHL/other stuff a big city has going on around the holidays. CHL-type markets where the WJC becomes an all-star tournament for the level of hockey fans are used to and is the biggest event in town feels like the best place to hold it for the best atmosphere.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The NCAA did the Frozen Four at the Verizon Center a few years ago and I remember being super stoked about that since I got to see BU vs Vermont. I wish we could get the World Juniors in DC but I don't think it'd be very popular here, and Verizon is the only big arena, so they'd probably have to split it with a relatively close city like Philly or Pittsburgh.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/816687552124092418

:shrug:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Eat poo poo you snow-haired boy band wannabe.

Carter Hart must have banged his daughter or something.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That entire 15 second sequence leading up to the goal, 33 on USA made like 4 awful decisions

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

That entire 15 second sequence leading up to the goal, 33 on USA made like 4 awful decisions

I can't watch the game because I'm at work, but I assume it was Cecconi, who is not very good compared to the rest of the defense.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:laffo: This should not be 1-1, goddamn.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Pleads posted:

:laffo: This should not be 1-1, goddamn.

well now it's 2-1

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those classless russian punks beating on those good american lads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That american goalie came like 3 inches from some involuntary dental work.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Luke Kunin! Hey, I refereed that kid in high school hockey!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Luke Kunin! Hey, I refereed that kid in high school hockey!

Well he's a former first round pick and well regarded prospect now, so odds are you reffed an NHLer to be.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Well he's a former first round pick and well regarded prospect now, so odds are you reffed an NHLer to be.

Back when I played HS hockey I got a goal on Ben Bishop, which I consider the high point of my career. (I also ref'd Joey Woll and current fringe-NHLer Scott Mayfield, because STL had loads of good talent come up the past few years.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russians a little re-energized by the american getting fancy on the penalty shot and getting shut down.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This is a great game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nasty russians run the goalie wearing t-shirts to the game not suits.

Pleads posted:

This is a great game.

it really is.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Russia drives the net loving hard

Shame this was an afternoon game on a wednesday, it's been incredible

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy gently caress ref get out of the way.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Russia drives the net loving hard

Shame this was an afternoon game on a wednesday, it's been incredible

You missed in the 2nd when they ran Parsons so hard it looked like he'd have to come out of the game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It'll be a crime against hockey if this gets decided in a shootout.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If this goes to a shoot out I think Samsonov is going to win them this game.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

US needed to lift that rebound.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

in round 16 of the shootout.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Parsons has been good too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If the americans lose this maybe we can find some canadian blood in parsons before can-swe tonight,

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he's already saved 2 penalty shots from the US (including one today) so yeah they've got the advantage there

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
this game is both cool, and good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Samsanov's mask is dope as hell.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Powershift posted:

It'll be a crime against hockey if this gets decided in a shootout.

YOU ASKED FOR IT

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
final answer

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That guy speaks exactly 4 words of english and none of them came up.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

checksin posted:

final answer

1, or 2? 1, or 2?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FINAL ANSWER

Cocaine Bear