Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Juolevi is a really average player. Who'd have thought a defenceman would put up a bunch of points when paired with Laine and Poolparty kicking rear end? Not Jim Benning, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kale posted:

This reffing is legit awful. Goalie clearly gets whacked by his own defenseman's stick and that's just the latest one

That ended up being Gauthier up high, but yeah bad reffing

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

This is not a good start for the replacement Latvian goaltender.

I think a backup Latvian goalie posting anything over a .600sv% against Canada should be considered a success

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

I'm sure even Benning doesn't overrate a handful of games over an entire season.

He also put up stats playing with Marner/Tkachuk/Dvorak over a full season & memorial cup run!

His junior numbers were pretty average, doubly so for the quality of team he was on.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

goodbye Finland

Tbf, their two best players are in the NHL right now. Laine was an obvious no go, but Poolparty should've been on this team. I have no idea why the Oilers didn't let him go.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Is this a thing people are doing now? It seems bad.

It is, but I'm much too lazy to get autocorrect to try and learn Puljujarvi.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

America is a really well coached team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This reffing is better than what we get in the NHL which is a joke these days. I'd prefer to watch this then every game slowed to a crawl by picks and hooks into the hands thirty times a shift.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Dubois is a dumb rear end. Thank you for sparing him from us Columbus.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Haha. Awesome. I think Canada were cool though, they had the goalie pulled.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

Yeah it didn't look like they called it on that clusterfuck change but if they did then OK I guess.

:iiam:

Oh yeah for optics alone Canada deserved a penalty. That was like watching tike players trying to make a line change.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canada picking up right where they left off last year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's bad, but not totally unexpected. I feel like the WJC excitement has totally disappeared these last couple years. I couldn't tell you why, but it just seems less fun overall these days. Almost like it got too important and people started to take it too seriously, and its slapdash nature was what made it so enjoyable in the first place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Putting it in Montreal/Toronto twice in a short span was a really odd decision. I think it has the opposite effect that they're going for, where it makes the whole thing feel smaller and less important. It's the kind of thing you can do really well putting it in Saskatoon, you don't need 2 separate cities that could host the Summer Olympics.

It's also got a little bit of that Winter Classic feel to it. It was fun when it was new (well in the sense that anyone watched it new), but now we're constantly told just how important it is and I find myself tuning it out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Going back was definitely a mistake.

They were already locked in and didn't have a choice. The Toronto/Montreal thing was a multi-year agreement to make sure each city got a gold medal game. The IIHF saw how disappointing the crowds were for the one in Toronto, but couldn't change it.

Maybe this, coupled with the World Cup will finally convince people that just dumping a hockey tournament in Toronto will somehow make it a success.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Luke Kunin! Hey, I refereed that kid in high school hockey!

Well he's a former first round pick and well regarded prospect now, so odds are you reffed an NHLer to be.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ugh Canada. Ugh.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Dubois is a fuckin dud

3rd overall.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mitch Stephens has this

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is too much. I'm dying

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oops.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Would Dubois even be on this team, let alone the 1st pp unit, if he hadn't been taken 3rd overall?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

:aaaaa:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

drat did Hart ever come close to blowing that

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

:eek:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

McAvoy reminds me so much of Dan Boyle at his silky mitts best. That kid is gonna be good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Tighten your fuckin helmet Chabot

Seriously god drat

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shootout ugh poop

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The one good thing about this is repeat shooters. I have no idea why the NHL forbids that. Who wouldn't want to see McDavid shoot three times in a row versus Ovie?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

strome sucks

It is starting to seem like he does for reasons I cannot comprehend

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That was a great game. I can't say the Americans didn't deserve that. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In the words of my fiance "that's okay I think the Americans need a boost more. They have Trump coming in two weeks."

• Locked thread