Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sometimes there's a show that isn't fantastic, or great, or even good, but drat if it doesn't have a sick OP. Share some of your favorites of the year regardless of how you thought of the show itself! And try to limit links and stuff so this thread doesn't crash peoples phone browsers.

I'll just highlight one here, because even though there's a ton of shows this year I liked with OPs I really loved, I think Kiznaiver fits the idea here best because even if I kinda fell out of enjoying the show after a bit, I friggin love the minimalism of the OP's light show prism style. It's good stuff!

https://streamable.com/9d93

Share your faves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's Mob Psycho, OP.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It's the Rakugo OP, op

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Dzhay posted:

It's Mob Psycho, OP.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i couldnt be bothered to watch more than 1 ep, but i liked the stella ed

https://streamable.com/lhxj

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Flip Flappers

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Six Shame Faces

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Dzhay posted:

It's Mob Psycho, OP.

I like the ED better personally

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Openings:
Osomatsu-san (both)
Concrete Revolutio (both)
Mob Psycho

Endings:
Flip Flappers
Occultic;Nine

GorfZaplen posted:

Six Shame Faces

Osomatsu-san gets a special award for having the OPs and EDs for both cours be fantastic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[sarcastically] Thanks for the links.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqsx8OohVKY

I have a soft spot for Gundam OP's, and even if Raise your Flag rocked harder, Survivor has a certain charm that can't be denied. That's for the song, though. As far as Visuals, MOB loving WINS.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Drifters

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In Training posted:

[sarcastically] Thanks for the links.

I doubted anyone would click on them :shobon: gimme a minute!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten posted:

Openings:
Osomatsu-san 1, full audio only two
Concrete Revolutio OP2
Mob Psycho Link

Endings:
Flip Flappers
Occultic;Nine
Osomatsu-san Six Same Faces Six Shame Faces

Osomatsu-san gets a special award for having the OPs and EDs for both cours be fantastic.

Updated and slightly edited.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAuundljNhg

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Kiznaiver definitely had the best OP this year, so I figure I'll just name the only one aside from that that's sticking out in my memory at the moment, which is the Tanaka-kun OP. Though the animation and such in the OP itself is pretty standard, the song perfectly matched the mood of the show and was always nice and relaxing to hear. The main thing that makes it stick out in my memory, though, is that the OP always came in with great comic timing and usually got a laugh out of me. Loads of comedy shows don't even bother trying that, so it was nice to see.

As for EDs, the ones I remember liking best were probably Erased's, which just had a fantastic song, and Luluco's, which was surprisingly restrained considering the rest of the show.

There's probably a bunch of better choices I'm forgetting at the moment, so I might think about it some more later. These are the first ones to come to mind though.

EDIT: Case in point, I completely forgot about Mob Psycho, which others have mentioned, and had a great OP. It also had some fantastic art in the ED - all painted on glass or something if I'm remembering right?

smenj fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 27, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Zestiria the X Ending 2 - BURN by FLOW

Divine Gate Opening - One-Me Two-Hearts by Hitorie

Fairy Tail OP 22 - Ashita wo Narase by Kavka Shishido

Ajin Second Season Opening - Boku wa Boku de Atte by Angelia x Fripside

Snow White with the Red Hair Second Season Opening - Sono Koe ga Chizi ni Naru

:siren: OP OF THE YEAR :siren:

Concrete Revolutio The Last Song Opening - Wareru Doukoku by ZAQ

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Here's a few I liked that haven't already been posted

OP:
Jojo 4 3rd OP, it was nice but I was especially looking forward to it Biting the Dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBiVN5T7dv8

EDs:

Teddyloid is always good and Space Patrol Luluco's is no different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4adizbMg5A

Honorable mention goes to kumamiko, the comfiest ED for a garbage show this year

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really liked the Nobunaga no Shinobi OP. It's simple but effective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H3cLrikfXg

Also Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou's ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOaj7kXBivU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was gonna give a shoutout to Tonkatsu DJ for having one song on the OST and playing it nearly every second of its entire running time, and that the song was awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

smenj posted:

Kiznaiver definitely had the best OP this year, so I figure I'll just name the only one aside from that that's sticking out in my memory at the moment, which is the Tanaka-kun OP. Though the animation and such in the OP itself is pretty standard, the song perfectly matched the mood of the show and was always nice and relaxing to hear. The main thing that makes it stick out in my memory, though, is that the OP always came in with great comic timing and usually got a laugh out of me. Loads of comedy shows don't even bother trying that, so it was nice to see.

As for EDs, the ones I remember liking best were probably Erased's, which just had a fantastic song, and Luluco's, which was surprisingly restrained considering the rest of the show.

There's probably a bunch of better choices I'm forgetting at the moment, so I might think about it some more later. These are the first ones to come to mind though.

EDIT: Case in point, I completely forgot about Mob Psycho, which others have mentioned, and had a great OP. It also had some fantastic art in the ED - all painted on glass or something if I'm remembering right?

Tanaka-kun is another great one, because of that great hit at the beginning to punctuate Tanaka falling asleep again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The third op for Diamond is Unbreakable is the best in the entire jojo series in my opinion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

The third op for Diamond is Unbreakable is the best in the entire jojo series in my opinion

It's one of my favorite anime OPs of all time now.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
None of the OPs actually stand out in my mind except the Tanaka OP (already mentioned.) It was just a super catchy tune.

For the EDs, I liked quite a bit of them. They're practically all ballad-y ones, which are more memorable to me:

Grimgar ED
Mayoiga ED
Re:Zero ED2
Kuromukuro ED2
Berserk 2016 ED
Fune wo amu ED (drat, this one was hard to find; couldn't find the TV size version.)

Of all those, I'd say I like Fune wo amu's the best.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I just saw that i forgot to link the actual BtD version in my post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6QhxgqBUQ

and while I'm here, the UNITs version with every previous Jojo OP singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqDxUPrNgZw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

krnhotwings posted:

None of the OPs actually stand out in my mind except the Tanaka OP (already mentioned.) It was just a super catchy tune.

For the EDs, I liked quite a bit of them. They're practically all ballad-y ones, which are more memorable to me:

Grimgar ED
Mayoiga ED
Re:Zero ED2
Kuromukuro ED2
Berserk 2016 ED
Fune wo amu ED (drat, this one was hard to find; couldn't find the TV size version.)

Of all those, I'd say I like Fune wo amu's the best.

I like the Fune wo Amu OP a lot too b ut the only video I could find was a brazilian nightcore remix.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I like the Fune wo Amu OP a lot too b ut the only video I could find was a brazilian nightcore remix.

Yeah idk why it hasn't been released or something but it owns bones

Ping Pong Girls had a real good op, too bad they loved having random lines in the middle of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LDe0g0A1Tk

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
Flying Witch had a nice fluffy OP for a nice fluffy series.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Erg posted:

Ping Pong Girls had a real good op, too bad they loved having random lines in the middle of it

Yeah that was really weird, especially since the background music for the regular show was super on point.

For OPs, pingpong girls and the erased op.
For EDs flip flappers and magic of stella were pretty good.

Argona fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 27, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Delicious sandwich posted:

Flying Witch had a nice fluffy OP for a nice fluffy series.

Absolutely. That first take off to flight is so good

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

I was gonna say it's in the OP of my dead thread, but guess the video got removed :rip:

https://jii.moe/SJ44T_JSg.webm

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In no specific order, Openings:
Diamond is Unbreakable OP 1, 3
Flying Witch
Amanchu
Mob Psycho 100
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Special mention which is the clear winner but possibly doesn't count because it wasn't used as an OP:
Great Days UNITS ver. - Diamond is Unbreakable OP 3.

ED:
Visuals: Mob Psycho 100 (I don't remember the music well)
Combination of music and visuals: Diamond is Unbreakable.

I don't remember many endings as a whole this year and I wouldn't say DiU is the best ED of the year despite it being my favourite combo.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

krnhotwings posted:

Here you go. I think this and Flip Flappers were the only EDs I basically never even thought about skipping, though I admit for Fune wo Amu that it's mostly because I just like the song.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Going to leave this here for an honorable mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoH-uX9OCK8

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
As always, DavidPro killed it with their song selection for this year's Jojo ending. "I Want You" is a nice, chill song to come down from that Jojo high, with a quiet menace that fits Kira perfectly. A lot of fans (anime and manga) have commented that Morioh is its own character, and the ED really nails that feeling by welcoming you into the town and takes you past all of the places you learn to love over the course of the show. It's especially delightful to watch the town fill up with all of the characters with each passing arc.

Yuri on Ice took the Best OP trophy for me this years. The show may have had its animation problems, but the opening is fluid, gorgeous eye candy. And the swelling power ballad certainly helped set the tone for the show! History Makers more than earned its place in my music library. The ending for the tenth episode also deserves a shout out for sheer hilarity (I can't find a good video of it at the moment, but I'll edit a link in once I do).

Boku dake ga inai machi gets second place for ED. A haunting and beautiful ending for a haunting and beautiful show.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Here you go. I think this and Flip Flappers were the only EDs I basically never even thought about skipping, though I admit for Fune wo Amu that it's mostly because I just like the song.
Sweet, thanks!

Viola the Mad posted:

As always, DavidPro killed it with their song selection for this year's Jojo ending. "I Want You" is a nice, chill song to come down from that Jojo high, with a quiet menace that fits Kira perfectly. A lot of fans (anime and manga) have commented that Morioh is its own character, and the ED really nails that feeling by welcoming you into the town and takes you past all of the places you learn to love over the course of the show. It's especially delightful to watch the town fill up with all of the characters with each passing arc.
Oh man, I forgot about the Jojo Savage Garden ED. I was really pleasantly surprised that they went with this song.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dzhay posted:

It's Mob Psycho, OP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mob Psycho OP gets points for visuals and music, but they get DQ'd for improper counting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In Training posted:

Mob Psycho OP gets points for visuals and music, but they get DQ'd for improper counting.

It's quite hard to tell but it seems like the special version of JoJo DIU OP 3 counts "2 3 1" right at the start too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's quite hard to tell but it seems like the special version of JoJo DIU OP 3 counts "2 3 1" right at the start too.

2+3+1=6, Stone Ocean anime confirmed.

• Locked thread