Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009
Hi, border collies are intelligent and need exercise, plenty of it. I have a border collie too. To give you some idea, here's what I do with my dog:

Weight:
My dog weighs in at 40lbs, which is the around the ideal weight for a border collie.

Exercise:
He is taken out for exercise (off lead running, play fetch) at least once a day if the weather is bad for a minimum of 45 minutes. But usually two or three if the weather is okay. If you don't like walking a lot, take him to a secure space, an enclosed park or something and take a ball with you. You can just stand there and throw the ball for him. Or whatever toy your dog likes to play with. Also it's good for you to get some fresh air.

Feed:
I feed my dog twice a day, about 155g per feed on a higher calorie content feed (because he's so active), which equates to about half a cup for each meal. The type of feed will vary as it is based on your dogs energy levels.

Although if you want to be sure you're doing the right thing, it would be a good idea to see a vet nurse or vet and ask them for advice on:

1. How much daily exercise should my dog have and for how long? (You could tell them where you take your dog for a walk and also ask if there are any dog parks in walking distance)

2. What sort of food should I be feeding my dog and roughly how much per day? (As your dog is obese, they may be able to recommend a low fat feed to help bring the weight down slow and steady)

I hope this gives you a better idea on what sort of things you need to do to help your dog be more happier and healthier. I know you don't mean to make your dog unhealthy. Hopefully this will help you take the first steps to make your dog a healthier and happier dog :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009
Ah, just noticed Op posted Christmas time. D'oh :doh:

Ah well!

• Locked thread