Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have a border collie, 7 years old, (I've only had him for 6 months) and this time 4 months ago he was 32lbs, just in line with what hes supposeed to be, and only about 7 lbs heavier than when i first obtained him.). But he went for his checkup yesterday and now hes ballooned to 65 lbs. Please help, because the dog doctor said hes obese and wont last another 2 months if it continues, and that if he were a human of my height and had the equivalent weight gain he would be almost 400lbs, and that the dog already probably has arthritis from all the extera strain on his legs. I've started to monitor his weight at home too, but my scale is coming up with 73lbs whitch is just not possible, though i think i know why it might be a bit off. Please help, I dont know what im doing wrong ( i dont think im feeding him too much, hes gone for his scheduled check-ups, he doesnt seem to have any abnormal growths or anything, and he seems fine nuerologically) and would rather not have to go through the exhaustive process of selecting the optimal dog ( low-mantainence, smart, not smelly). Could he just be retaining too much water, should i maybe feed him a gluten-free diet, or is my dog perhaps genetically predeposed to this stuff and was just being witheld food from his crappy previous owner? any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!
EDIT: Sorry if i seem a bit loopy or anything like that but i have some pretty sever undiagnosed ADD/Aspergers so im very sporadic and not too good with words or anything.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Okay, some basic questions:

What are you feeding him?
How much daily?
Any treats?
What is his daily exercise like?

Also in what universe is a border collie low-maintenance?

I try to feed him 2-3 times a day, just a scoop of food(Usually Purina Dog Chow) but sometimes he asks for more and i give it to him( he gets a bit "mouthy" if i withhold food from him if you know what I mean. To be completely honest, hes been a bit more aggresive ever since i got a concussion 3-4 months ago). As far as treats go he usually gets a treat 1 or 2 times a day, but so im not sure that's the problem, as my friend told me that dairy products are great for dogs.

I take him for walks about 2 times a week, so I dont think exercise is the concern. He used to be really hyper, but hes been a lot slower with all the weight gain so thank god for that. He used to sprint around my apartment like a maniac, which would give me a heart attack because TECHNICALLY im not supposed to have a dog here. But the landlord is basically senile, and the other tenants stay quiet as long as i dont complain about their constant smoking. But yeah i just take him around the block a few times and hes pretty exhausted by the end of it, which leads me to believe that he really got a good workout and was buring lots of calories.

And I figured Border Collies are really smart dogs, so they can get along with minimal intervention. I mean who knows a dogs needs better than the dog himself? I dont want to gently caress up anything about this dog anymore than i have, and judging how passionate he is when I dont listen to him I dont think really in a position to question his motives. After all, Im no dog expert

• Locked thread