Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +2 | Superior +0 | Menace +2
Curses:
0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Astroplasm Cafe

The retro prison uniform is typical for Copycat. It's just "Hey, I'm not where I ought to be, you going to do something about that?" Still, she's spent most of her time looking bored, at least until the plotting piped up. After all, this is just show villainy, safe and subcultured. It wasn't like spending winter break having one of those "everybody's a nice person for Christmas!" sort of adventures with Dayknight. That actually felt more risky than this did. Hell, even the drugs weren't exciting as long as they were this easy.

Looking up, though, she finally speaks up. "There are other important questions about this Bastion. Like 'does it have central air and wireless, or are we just stealing a really huge antique?'", Copycat says as she's sprawled back on a couch, waving a hand. "Look, we could take it while they're busy with the armistice talks, but then Mystic Force would team up with somebody like Ghostface or Tween Twitch and just kick us out again... if you're going to steal something, you have to stash it. And if you're going to do that, Melody, you'll need to work with Möbius, because we'd be moving it elsewhere, like Strain says. Another time, another dimension. Somewhere just aside from where people see. As long as it's enough for them to throw their hands up and get a cottage in Canada."

She looks over to Möbius, holding up her palms as if to bulwark his inevitable retort. "And that's where we have two birds with one stone." Jailbird looks up at that. "Not real birds.", she admits apologetically, and the cat goes back to looking bored. "You take the teleportation facilities we have at the Bastion, and then use that to get the Silver Centurion in and out. Before the Mystic Force knows it, they're coming home to a big plot of empty land... which they might even not own anymore, thanks to Centipede and Dark Eagle." She grins, lying back as she folds her hands on her stomach. "Don't look at it as two capers, or even three capers. They're all just tools for one big caper."

"Speaking of which, on the 'how are a bunch of lightweights going to beat the Mystic Force?' Well, I have-" A pause. "- we have you-know-what. That thing eats magic, right? As long as we keep it in the hands of one of our science whizzes, we can probably down a heavy hitter or two if we can get its thorns into one of them and gets them tangled up in its magic-munching vines." She looks with a grin over to Centipede. "Could be worth though through the trouble of getting chewed out by you all along? Just maybe?"

Swinging her legs up, she springs into a sit in a way that actually throws Jailbird off balance, but the cat just seems to roll over and go into one of those 'now I can lick myself here, just as planned' sorts of motions. "So, I'm pretty sure that makes everybody happy. Or less miserable." The tilts her head a little as she leans forward. "I mean, I'm aiming for happy, but I'll settle."

pre:
Copycat (and Jailbird)

Playbook: The Rogue

Look:

Abilities: Power Mimicry and Luck Manipulation, respectively.

Freak +0	Danger -1	Trouble +2	Superior +0	Menace +2

Rogue Moves

A Dame to Kill For: When you manipulate the affections of someone, roll +Trouble. On a hit, they are smitten
(or otherwise admiring) of you. On a 10+, take Influence on them. On a 7-9, they choose one.
  • Give you Influence on them.
  • Mark a condition.
  • Give themselves to you and make themselves vulnerable.
Heart of Glass: Whenever you betray someone or take advantage of your Influence on them, they mark Curses! and you hold 1. Spend that hold when they betray you or take advantage of their influence on you to mark Curses! and clear a condition. Plan Moves When you meddle in the plots of others… ask them if they’ll trust you, just this once. If they give you a chance, they take +1 forward and give you Influence on them. If they deny you this chance, mark a condition and Curses! When others meddle in your plots… decide if they actually know something or if they are following smoke and mirrors. If they actually know something, add a Plan point to the pool. If they are following smoke and mirrors, shift Menace up and any other label down. When you stop to gloat about your master plan… reveal and explain how your target was actually working with you all along. Roll +Trouble. On a 10+, this is actually true. Add a Plan point to the pool, and they are now no longer a threat. On a 7-9, this is a bluff, and they choose one.
  • They deny it ardently. They make themselves vulnerable in the process.
  • They play along, but turn the tables with the story. They give you Influence on them, but also take Influence on you.
  • They are confused. They mark a condition.
And the Rest Assets: A Mole (Dayknight) and a Super-Pet (Jailbird) Moment of Truth: For just a moment, they trust you. For a moment, whatever you say, people take at face value. You can lie to anyone, you can sell ice to an Eskimo, you can sell real estate on Earth to Galactus. You are the master manipulator, and don’t have to bother with the whole worrying about gaining trust. Given this gift, of course, you squander it and abuse it, so when your deceit becomes obvious to all, it’s hard to say if anyone can trust you again. Agenda: You’re always working towards some secret Agenda, that may not always be at odds with your peers, but certainly isn’t their focus. After a Caper has been decided on, write down a single line agenda, like “get the files to Home Office” or “give Statesman a kiss”. It can really be anything, but it’s best if it’s something that is sideways to what the alliance is getting at with the Caper. Once you’ve written it down, give it to the MC in secret. You may take +1 to any roll to pursue your Agenda (your call), though you want to be careful not to overplay your hand. At any time during a Caper, if one of your peers accuses you of having a secret agenda, ask them what they think it is. You can admit it, or deny it, your choice. The MC will not reveal the true Agenda until later. At the end of a Caper, the truth eventually comes out, and the MC reveals your Agenda. Anyone who guessed correctly (MC’s call) gains Influence on you. If you went along with a spurious and incorrect accusation, instead you take Influence on them. If anyone guessed correctly at all, you mark Curses!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:

Copycat forces a weak smile as she's blown off, and looks over to Jailbird. "Yeah, I know, right?" She stands up, walking closer to the center of the storm, and rubs a temple. "Elf, peasant... sounds like you both have some -isms going on..." She gestures with a hand. "As long as both of you are gonna be like this... Zapper's got my vote. Unless..." She looks between Möbius and Rose. Well, if she can't cool things down, she can at least try and get one to fake it. "First to apologize - convincingly - I'll turn my vote over to them. All three of you are being awful, but if we're going to pull a heist, we need somebody who can put this crap behind them and do the job." There's a pause as she eyes Möbius. Well, that's not likely from him, and so she looks expectantly to Rose. Nobles are supposed to be able to take the high ground... publicly, at least.

She looks aside, though. Shango was said to still maintain some contacts, and with this getting as loud as it was... it could be a problem. Wizards tended to gossip more; given they often banded together quietly to protect reality as a whole, good or bad, it made some sense. It meant, at the very least, they were operating on a tighter time limit. It wasn't so much if Shango got word, but when. But this moment wasn't the place to bring that up, especially with the would-be Masters all up in their business. "So, what kind of scheme are you guys cooking up? Obviously you've got something sweet going, right?", she asks of Reynardine. Appeal to the ego, see where it leads.

Jailbird stops licking long enough to stare at Reynardine, but after a few seconds the cat goes back to the bored business of self-grooming.

Technically, she's rebuking just about everybody with a iron in the fire, but she'll focus the rebuke on Rose. The roll is 11, which will add 1 to the Plan, at least, regardless on which side Rose falls on. And, for the sake of hurrying things along (sooorta), she's perfectly honest about her ultimatum.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:

Looking like she swallowed a bug for a moment, Copycat looks to Jailbird. "Well, that was... what do you think?" Well, the vote is locked. It's less of a question of who needs the vote, and more... who wants the vote, who wants it the worst. Jailbird sits up, looking at Reyardine, and then looks away. Taking a breath, Copycat flickers a thought down the telepathic phone line.

(My vote's with Möbius.) O o . she thinks aloud, shrugging as if she knows well enough it doesn't resolve the situation. "It's a D- as far as apologies go, but I did say what I said." It's more important to establish her word than worry about what scheme wins out, given she's not invested in them beyond probing her And it puts Rose and Zapper in a place to work out how a tie settles on. Which is more interesting, at least. (Jailbird abstains.) O o ., she adds. Wait. Does Jailbird get a vote?

In any case, that's settled as far as her own lack of responsibility goes, and then she looks to Reynardine. "Well, obviously you've got something better going on than these shenanigans.", she adds to her question in a lowered voice. "You gonna impress us?"

Trying to Pierce the Mask with Reyardine, asking "What's their next caper?" Another ]11. Let's go with "What do you intend to do?", "What do you care about most right now?", and finally "How could I gain Influence over you?"

Also to Royal Rose: did you see Copycat's rebuke above? If there was a response on it, I wasn't clear, but let me know if I'm goofing anything. Thanks!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:

"Sounds like a lot of pressure. But I know you don't crack, I really did try back at the Murderdome, too.", Copycat says to Reynar, looking over to his teammates as if to add 'but who knows about them?'... only to see Atom Smasher lunge in and tug the fox away. Which is a good enough distraction for her to move after, reaching into his pocket to tug out- well, no time to be picky- a pocket watch, which vanishes where her shirt's rolled up from the hip.

Faeries love theft. Except when it happens to them. Well, we'll see how that turns out.

As Melody's accosted, Copycat starts to step on over to make sure Shadowboxer remembers who won their match... but thankfully she's interrupted before she has the chance to join in as Jailbird steps up against her leg, almost tripping her. She turns around to face the cat, starting with, "What are you-" Then, she sees a ghost. "- oh."

"To be fair, you you didn't give us a chance to start.", she points out to Star Spectress with the sort of crooked smile that might remind one of Copycat's namesake. "I hate to say, but I think my drink's gone a little sour." She looks over to Melody... who no doubt already has help from Blackguard. "You alright? Looks like we're ready to go."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:
0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Various

Astroplasm Cafe

"Oh!", Copycat manages in one of her few moments where she looks apologetic, her smile slightly cracked. "The drink is fine! It's just a turn of phrase about the mood of the room... but thanks." She takes up her glass, finishing it with sincerity, before pulling some loose bills out of her sleeve and following after her compatriots.

The Möbius Crib

Actually at least seeming to listen. "You should really give me some lessons on this.", Copycat points out to Möbius. He's never agreed before, mind, but it's worth keeping up the pressure on that point. Still, her blunt intent to misuse that knowledge has always been a bit of a dampener on that.

But there's not much time for that right now. There's a caper to cook.

The OK Café

Cameo: In the background of Rose's cafe visit, Copycat, the breton stripes t-shirt under her black jacket being an unsubtle visual nod for the reader despite her sunglasses, the foolproof element to any subtle disguise.

First Page

Top-Left Panel: The colors are desaturated a little to wind back time slightly, as Copycat leans over towards Rose.

Copycat: "Hey, I think I can get into the castle... but I'll need your powers for a pinch."

Top-Right Panel: Still in the past, Rose raises an eyebrow.

Rose: "My powers?"

Copycat: "I think we need somebody on the inside."

Centered Panel: Copycat looks to the slightly stunned guy through the window from a sideview, having similar red waves to Rose's, falling off her head like petals.

Bottom Centered Panel: Copycat from a front view, looking pleased with herself as she walks amongst the crowd down the street. Jailbird follows after

Copycat: "Thanks for the memories, pal."

Second Page

Top-Left Panel: In an alleyway, Copycat can be seen from the side, reaching out towards the wall.

Top-Middle Panel: As her hand touches it, the bricks start to shift as if folding inward.

Copycat: Ö̶͇̬́̊p̶͇̹̘̊̓̋e̷̯̯̣̣͈͋͂̒̌͝ͅn̵̢͍͆͐̒̿

Top-Right Panel: The wall essentially gives way, revealing a blue portal.

Centered Left Panel: A side cutaway shows her moving through the portal as petals of red energy cover her...

Centered Right Panel: Only to exit on the panel to the right with a illusionary mask covering her. She looks like Tween Twitch. Jailbird sneaks in behind her.

The Nexus Bastion

Lower Left Panel: A butler raises an eyebrow as he looks over to her passing. It's Gwydion, the faithful manservant of the Mystic Force.

Gwydion: "Miss Twitch, I wasn't expecting you. Should I prepare your usual tea?"

Lower Right Panel: Copycat, disguised, can be seen from behind. Behind a cupboard, Jailbird can be seen, lurking.

Copycat: "Oh! Sounds great, I was just going to stop by the library for a bit."

Bottom Long Panel: Copycat walks off, looking amused as she speaks in small text, indicating her whisper as she says to Jailbird:

Copycat: "Well, that was easier than I expected. Time for the hard part. "

Copycat meddles in Royal Rose's plan, and Rose trusts in that. That gives Rose +1 forward, and also means Copycat gets influence on Rose.

As part of the same move, she'll move to distract Nexus Bastion security, and roll boxcars with a 14. She'll get an opportunity and avoid immediate retaliation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:
0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: The Nexus Bastion

The Nexus Bastion

The First Page

Top Panel: Copycat can be seen exiting an office, looking aside to a little thought bubble to the left with a Jailbird trapped in it, before saying:

Copycat: "Already? I guess I'm caught. Still, I'm done with my business... wanted to help them out a little more..."

Middle Left Panel: A close up of Copycat's smirk.

Copycat: "Guess I better face the music."

Middle Right Panel: A form can be seen exiting the alleyway portal to the Nexus Bastion...

Bottom Left Panel: ... as Rose and Twitch and Jailbird look over in surprise...

Copycat: "The tea was excellent, and don't tell me you've forgotten..."

The OK Café

The Next Page

Large top left panel: Lady Circe emerges from the portal out of nowhere.

Copycat: "... Lady Circe!"

Copycat (thinking to Rose): . o O (It's Copycat, Rose. Don't shoot.)

Top right panel: "Lady Circe", clearly a disguised Copycat, laughs stereotypically.

Copycat: "Ha, and you'll never guess what I've done... until it's too late! Teleportare!"

Middle right panel: A spell is cast, with arcane gestures, and then...

Bottom left panel: ... "Lady Circe" vanishes before the trio of observers can respond.

Copycat (thinking to Rose): . o O (I'm still here, just invisible, let's slip.)

Bottom middle panel: Jailbird looks unimpressed.

Bottom right panel: Then, as if thinking better of it, he paws at Rose with a relatively half-assed:

Jailbird: "Mew?"

Let's Abscond from the Bastion with a 12. That'll get her away and add a Plan to the pool.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 2, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:

Three Days Ago, Columbia

Top Left Panel: Copycat looks over to Dayknight from where she's sitting on the bridge railing.

Dayknight: But Santa's real! Doesn't that change anything for you?

Top Center Panel: Close-up on Copycat's face as she looks out over the bay.

Copycat: Look, there are two kinds of people. The naughty we know, and the naughty we don't.

Top Right Panel: Close-up on Dayknight's face as she looks away.

Dayknight: You two could do real good, you know. Being cynical isn't going to change that.

Center Left Panel: Close-up on Jailbird, word-balloons from "off-panel".

Copycat: What if I could prove to you that everybody's got a little dirt?

Dayknight: Even if you could, what would that matter?

Center Right Panel: A shot of Copycat and Dayknight from her back as it gives a view of this city.

Copycat: That everything you built Dayknight on was a lie.

Bottom Left Panel: Close-up where Jailbird hops onto Copycat's lap.

Copycat: Besides...

Bottom Right panel: Same lap, but her hand pats her pocket.

Copycat: ... I already stole my coal.

One Day Ago, La Reina

Center Right Panel: Copycat's translucent form slips in.

Bottom Left Panel: Both Copycat and Rose can be seen from a "driver's eye view" as she fades back in.

Copycat: "Of course I cased it. Somebody had to."

Bottom Center Panel: The driver rubs his eyes for a moment, doing a double-take.

Copycat: "I didn't need to grab anything. I mean, one it's ours, loot and loot alike, right?"

Bottom Right Panel: The driver can be seen shrugging to himself as we see the back of the two villain's heads.

Copycat: "Unless you were planning to claim it all for yourself..."

Now-ish, Nexus Bastion

Top Panel: As the gargoyles can be seen taking on Blackguard in the distance, Copycat can be seen from behind slipping off the ship with Jailbird.

Copycat: "Given it was just Christmas, they should have left the wards down in one key area..."

Center Panel: Copycat and Jailbird can be seen peering down an empty chimney.

Copycat: "Ugh. Try and let me give you a bath later, okay? But this should get us in deep into the fortress. With the holidays, they've probably left the wards down for Santa."

Bottom Panel: Copycat can be seen brushing ash off in the main common room. Jailbird looks positively grey.

Copycat: "But while everybody else is busy with their thing, let's take the tour..."

Assess the Situation for an 11! Let's go with "how could we best end this quickly?" and "who on the Mystic Force is most vulnerable to me?" (or, given the fiction, maybe she can find something that gives her an edge against them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Curses:

Walking out of the quarters area, Copycat walks on the... ceiling? Floor? Möbius is at it again, but this isn't her first time at the topomancy rodeo, and she knows that if you often just try really hard to keep your perspective fluid, things'll work out. Jailbird actually meanders a little has he follows, though, his tail high and hair on end. She pulls out her smartphone - jailbroken, as if you had to ask - and pulls on the memories she got during the time at the coffee shop. "Kind of amazing that has somebody that remembers cell phone numbers in this day and age..." Thumbing away, she sends a message.

A moment later, on Tween Twitch's cell...

pre:
> has your fam seen your little black book
> they will unless you throw this fight
> nice room
> i think i'll take it
> luv cats
Then, finally, she comes to the tesseract, or at least the entrance. She squints, trying just focus as she's on the floor again. Pretty sure it's the floor. She looks across the mess of many-angled-pews that makes up the interior of the chapel... not that a proper Christian priest has probably set in foot in over a century, which is why it's being used for magic that only Escher's St. Francis could cope with. Taking a careful step in, she tries to get her bearings as Jailbird clings for dear life... at least until she grabs ahold of him. "Sh. It's just an extra dimension."

And another text, this time to Möbius....

pre:
> mobby
> chapel's at the tesseract
> tesseract's at the chapel
> let's pack this up
And then she puts her phone away. Well, let the others battle royale. She's got the prize worth taking... even if it's starting to give her a stinging headache.

Gloating about her master plan and targeting Tween Twitch. She's got +1 forward from assessing, for a... 14, which should add a Plan to the pool and take Twitch out of the conflict, presuming my use is legit.

• Locked thread