Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Most shows that will end this year have ended, so it's time to pick the best! I've already changed like five things in this list so if you notice something missing or that shouldn't be there, let me know. Planning to close voting end of day on Jan 13th, with results posted next day. You can vote for this year's worst anime here.

Rules:
- Pick up to 5 series from the list.
- Rank them if you want! I sure would appreciate people trying this, but it's optional.
- Write something about them!!!!!!!!
- Feel free to discuss picks, but don't be a prick about it.

code:
12-sai: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki
91 Days
Ace of Diamond: Second Season
Active Raid - s1 & s2
Aikatsu!
Ajin - s1 & s2
Alderamin on the Sky
Amanchu!
Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii
Ange Vierge
Anitore! XX
Anne Happy
Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue
Aria the Avvenire
Arslan Senki: Dust Storm Dance
Assassination Classroom season 2
B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious
Bakuon!!
Bananya
Battery
Berserk
Big Order
Bloodivores
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi / ERASED
Brave Beats
Brave Witches
Bubuki Buranki - s1 & s2
Bungo Stray Dogs - s1 & s2
Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis
Cardfight!! Vanguard G Stride Gate
Cheating Craft
Cheer Boys!!
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
Crane Game Girls
Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!
D.gray-man Hallow
DAYS
Dagashi Kashi
Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc
Danganronpa 3: Future Arc
Dimension W
Divine Gate
Dream Festival
Drifters
Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
Endride
Fairy Tail Season 2
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya 3rei!!
Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood
First Love Monster
Flip Flappers
Flying Witch
Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu
Fune wo Amu
Future Card Buddyfight 100
GATE: Thus The JSDF Fought There season 2
Gakuen Handsome
Garo: Guren no Tsuki
Gintama°
Girlish Number
Girls Beyond the Wasteland
God Eater
Go! Princess Precure
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Hagane Orchestra
Haifuri / High School Fleet
Haikyuu!! - Second Season + Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa
Handa-kun
HaruChika
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Heavy Object
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Hitori no Shita: The Outcast
Honobono Log
Hundred
Izetta: The Last Witch
JK Meshi!
JOKER season 3
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Joker Game
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Kagewani: Shou
Kaijuu Girls
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Kiitaro's Youkai Picture Diary
Kiss Him, Not Me
Kiznaiver
Konosuba
Koyomimonogatari
Kumamiko
Kuromukuro
Kyoukai no Rinne season 2
Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
Love Live! Sunshine!!
Lovely Muco!
Luck & Logic
Lupin III Part 4
Macross Delta
Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
Magic of Stella
Magic-Kyun! Renaissance
Magical Girl Raising Project
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara - s1 & s2
Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls
Masou Gakuen HxH
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
Mayoiga / The Lost Village
Miss Bernard Said
Mob Psycho 100
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Momokuri
My Hero Academia
My Wife is the Student Council President!+
Myriad Colors Phantom World
Natsume Yuujinchou Go
Nazotokine
Netoge / And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?
New Game!
Norn9
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
Occultic;Nine
Ojisan to Marshmallow
Onara Gorou
Onigiri
Ooya-san wa Shishunki!
Orange
Osomatsu-san
Ozmafia!!
Pan de Peace!
Pandora in the Crimson Shell
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Planetarian
Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
Poco's Udon World
Pokemon XY & Z
Prince of Stride: Alternative
Qualidea Code
Ragnastrike Angels
Rainbow Days
Re:Zero
ReLife
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage
Rewrite
Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan
Sailor Moon Crystal season 3
Sansha Sanyou / Three Leaves, Three Colors
Scared Rider Xechs
Schwarzesmarken
Scorching Ping Pong Girls
Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalite
Sekkou Boys
Servamp
She and Her Cat: Everything Flows
Shin Atashin'chi
Shokugeki no Soma season 2
Shounen Maid
Show By Rock!! #
Show By Rock!! Short!!
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Snow White with Red Hair season 2
Soul Buster
Space Patrol Luluco
Super Lovers
Sushi Police
Sweetness and Lightning
Tabi Machi Late Show
Taboo Tattoo
Tales of Zestiria the X
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Tawawa on Monday
Teekyu - s7 & s8
Terraformars Revenge
The Asterisk War season 2
The File of Young Kindaichi Returns season 2
The Glass Mask Year 3 Class D
The Morose Mononokean
The Seven Deadly Sins: Seisen no Shirushi
This Art Club Has a Problem!
This Boy is a Professional Wizard
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Time Travel Girl: Mari, Waka, and the Eight Scientists
To Be Hero
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Touken Ranbu Hanamaru
Tsukiuta. The Animation
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle
Under the Dog
Usakame
Ushio and Tora season 2
Uta no Prince-sama Legend Star
Utawawerumono: The False Faces
ViVid Strike!
[url]WWW.Working!![/url]
Wagamama High Spec
World Trigger
Yami Shibai season 3
Yuri!!! on Ice
e: some same-year split cours merged, added Fairy Tail, Go Princess Precure, and Pokemon XY & Z per darkgray (Thanks!)

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Berserk 2016.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1: Hibike Euphonium 2 it's kyoani doing character animation. there's some narrative stumbling blocks but the animation and direction makes everything else that aired this year, or any year, look like captain underpants flipbooks.

2: Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song cool political commentary with slick presentation and neat characters.

3: Aikatsu Stars its funny

4: Love Live Sunshine some mild narrative stumbling blocks but it's a really neat metalook at the pressures of being a sequel to a successful franchise, and yohane is best girl

5: Re:Zero subaru's growth as a character was very nice and hopeful, and i liked the sidecast a ton.

honorable mentions:

flipflappers: fun and cute but its not finished as of the time of this recording and while i liked the shift into being more plotty overall, it still had to take some weird writing jumps to get there

jojo's,: I love diamond is unbreakable and this is a great adaptation but i already read the manga so i cant really say this is the best of the year personally since it didn't like, surprise me or anything? idk. break down break down.

new game: a cute comedy with likable characters but i actually forgot about it until i put my brain to what else i liked this year

mobile suit gundam thunderbolt,: a neat ova with some really, really great sequences but all of the characters except one are really unlikable and the jazz thing is super hammy. worth watching just to see this group of jackasses fight over some meaningless rocks, though, and how terrifying a gundam'd be to actually fight. also the ending is just an ad for the manga.

tales of zestiria the x: a very good retooling of a pretty bad game story, but the two-episode ad for berseria in the middle kind of ruins the flow of the whole show, and a few of the characters (edna and mikleo) get really underserved by some of the changes the anime makes, + the simple constraints of not having as much time for random skit conversations.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 27, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

1. Osomatsu-san: I'm a karamatsu boy

2. Space Patrol Luluco: Lots of fun and had a really good ending

3. Yuri on Ice: JJ is a national treasure. If the skating animation hadn't taken a nose dive and the ending were a little better this would be higher.

these are the only three i want to vote for, but

Honorable Mentions:

Re:zero is pretty good despite the tired genre, if the beginning and end were as strong as the middle section I'd give it a number but as it stances there's really just like 10-12 particularly good episodes out of 24.

Mayoiga was hilarious and i loved it for like 5 episodes until they had to start revealing things and it got weaker

Sweetness & lightning, snow white S2, kuromukuro and koyomimonogatari were good as well, Eupho s2 would be good if i were caught up

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

5. Re:Zero is a real cool story about a guy loving up a lot and learning to chill the gently caress out and trust people. It loses a little steam near the end, but it was nice to have a show constantly showing what ifs with the time loops to explain why Subaru can't just fix everything himself with foreknowledge

4. Luluco was basically anime popcorn and great fun the whole time. The final couple sequences were amazing

3. Konosuba made me snort laugh a lot and sold itself on funny voices in my mind. A gang of assholes and idiots being awful to each other is one of my favorite forms of comedy

2. Haruchika got super overlooked I think but it's a real fun and chill mystery show. Even if some of the mysteries were silly (house that is full of money in the walls), the constantly rotating cast was great and I loved seeing the "guest stars" for each ep

1. Haikyuu!! this poo poo wasn't even a question, haikyuu!! is hype and amazing even when the season is short and focuses on one match

other poo poo:

Miss Bernard Said is like the truest thing about books I've ever seen and the Pynchon and Murakami shout outs were me. They were me

Grimgar the death of the priest made me real mad and was also pretty eye roll worthy and the animation got super shoddy in places, but the show just worked for me. It had amazing backgrounds and wasn't afraid to just let the show breathe for a couple minutes while the characters did whatever poo poo they wanted. The dynamic of a party trying to figure out what the to do when their by far most competent person was gone was also nice, especially as they try to work in a new member who rightfully doesn't trust them to not gently caress things up again.

Ping Pong Girls was an amazing sports show even if it constantly dips into the fanservice well. Really great soundtrack and the first 3 eps are a great self contained arc about someone figuring out why they enjoy a sport

Bungo Stray Dogs is a fun super power fight show that sometimes does weird things where that guy who killed like a million people is now cool with us

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

this is what Grimgar was resorting to at points btw
https://my.mixtape.moe/paetgk.webm

p.s. Haruchika features a VERY good dog http://i.imgur.com/bPFK2OC.mp4

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Erg posted:

this is what Grimgar was resorting to at points btw
https://my.mixtape.moe/paetgk.webm

lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in order to be an archer, you must learn to be perfectly still

anyway i'll give my list when flip flappers is done airing

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The sad thing is there were times when Grimgar looked freaking fantastic, mainly in the lighting and color but also the animation. Then you'd get a shot like the above where it looks like someone is just wiggling a cel around in front of a background.

I'm waiting for the Final Flip Flap just to be sure, but i'm working on paring the list down already.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

a kitten posted:

The sad thing is there were times when Grimgar looked freaking fantastic, mainly in the lighting and color but also the animation. Then you'd get a shot like the above where it looks like someone is just wiggling a cel around in front of a background.

I'm waiting for the Final Flip Flap just to be sure, but i'm working on paring the list down already.

A couple of the fights are amazing in how well they get across that they're desperately struggling to not get ruined by a couple of goblins

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

1. ReLife: I feel like a lot of people missed this show, but I really liked it. What could have been an iffy premise is treated in a pretty fun way and its fun watching "adults" take care of TEEN DRAMA.

2. Haikyuu: The volleyboys... they did it... t.t

3. Erased: Although the ending was kind of lame in the anime, and the weird thing with multiple endings in different media forms meant that the manga ending was better, I still can say I enjoyed the ride. Best OP variation!

4. Eupho s2: It's kyoani at maximum kyoani, it was basically going to make my list from the beginning. While the story wasnt as strong as Eupho s1, the sheer animation quality and fun characters mean it makes my list

5. PSI Saiki: Another show no one really talked about, but its comedy was on point. Recently announced a second season!!

honorable mentions

Tanaka-kun is always Listless: in a weaker year this would have made my top 5 easily. Miyano best girl but Ohta best spouse!!

Pingpong Girls: haikyuu is my sports show of the year, but if i had to pick a #2, this would be it. Top notch sound direction and cool moments, although there are some jokes that get old.

New Game
Magic Of Stella

While at first both of these seem to be related, new game ended up being a workplace comedy while magic of stella was a more game making focused show. Both were cute and good!

One punch man
Re:zero

both of these are shows that i liked a lot but didnt finish watching for whatever reason, if I had finished them they might have bumped stuff off my actual list!

Luluco

a cool short that didnt make the list.

Argona fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2017

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

in no particular order:

mob psycho 100
: the first episode or two are underwhelming but it quickly gets really good. the animation and action scenes look fantastic, the comedy is endearing and the best character is a scam artist.

relife: the rare realistic portrayal of teenagers- everyone is an awkward doofus who doesn't really know how to deal with their feelings. manages to avoid the potential creepiness of its premise. lots of character growth that feels earned.

91 days
: like all the best media about criminals, it makes you genuinely care for these horrible killers as everything burns down in a blaze of gore and bullets

konosuba: the comedy was funny, though they did go pretty overboard on the T&A

rezero: in addition to what everyone else said, i like media that pushes its characters to near-breakdown emotionally, so.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe dogsicle cheated me out of getting to vote for Haikyuu twice on my list.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

1. Osomatsu-san was really funny almost the whole way through. I don't think there was a single dud episode. Honestly can't recommend it enough. I am a Karamatsu boy.

2. Konosuba funny and good anime titty. Aqua is girl of the year.

3. Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song was a pretty cool action show wrapped in the political and cultural issues of post-war japan. Good OPs and EDs too.

4. I didn't want to watch Mob Psycho 100 because it's normie anime. But I'm glad I did. Fantastic animation, good action and good characters.

5. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is tough. I debated about whether to put this show on here. I really enjoyed it as I was watching it, but after the season finale I started to sour on it. Then the second season started and I really started to hate the season finale. The idea of a gritty setting flies out the window really quick. Very few of the main characters are ever at serious risk and the show feels toothless because of it. Most of the deaths on Tekkadan's side are nameless children that haven't shown up before and the season finale tore it's own teeth out in the last few minutes of the episode.

A month ago, I would have put something else in this slot, but the past three episodes of the currently airing second season have made me look at the first season again. Despite the flaws, the mech designs are sweet, most of the characters are likable, the setting is really good, the action is fantastic, and it doesn't fall into the dumb trap of shoehorning a fight into every episode. Sometimes it just sat back and let the characters breathe. And I really liked that.

The season finale still sucked and every passing episode of season 2 makes it suck harder. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
these aren't in any particular order

drifters - fun ultraviolence and dumb visual gags with lots of hirano murdersmiles
thunderbolt fantasy - excellent even aside from the novelty of puppets. the long-delayed reveal of shang's deal was amazing.
kuromukuro - doesn't reinvent the wheel and the robot fights weren't anything special, but i liked every other aspect an awful lot. just a very solid, well-made show in general.
konosuba - comedy anime adaptations rely very heavily on proper timing and voice talent, both of which this show had in abundance. in other words, show funy many laffs.
mob psycho - reigen arataka is mai husbando and if you say anything bad about him i will cut you

there were a lot of good shows i never got around to finishing, and a few pieces of boring poo poo that i inexplicably watched in full.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 27, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

For the record, 2016 was a fantastic year for anime. Usually I have to dip into 9/10s to make this list, but this year the 10/10s are overflowing, such that I feel it's a disservice not to rank eleven of them.

1) Hibike! Euphonium 2 - Obvious bias here, but I don't think there's anything the 13th episode could do to change this ranking. I think :ohdear:. Character drama and KyoAni at it's finest.

2) ReLIFE - Great balance of drama and comedy, well executed concept.

3) Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - 2016 was packed full of great comedies. This is the one that I notably remember enjoying the most.

4) Yuri!!! On Ice - Wonderful sports drama. Seeing the real-life skaters get into the show was awesome. The gay is delicious icing on an already fantastic cake.

5) Lupin III Part 4 - Thank Italy :italy: for funding this or whatever because it was super quality and super fun!

-----

6) Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan - Baaaarely missing the cut, this show grabs the daily comedy short format by the horns and rides it with style. A great retread on a familiar concept.

7) Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - A more low-key comedy, but great and well-rounded.

8) Flying Witch - The most low-key show, the most relaxing "watch it while eating dessert" show.

9) Space Patrol Luluco - TRIGGER being TRIGGER, references everywhere, hyper and hilarious.

10) Osomatsu-san - The weirdest reboot ever, but drat was it funny.

11) Boku Dake ga Inai Machi / ERASED - On the cusp of being a 9/10 due to a few hiccups in execution, but it was still a really solid drama.

And a swarm of 9/10s, yay for anime

Potential for next year's Best List: March comes in like a lion - Learn about Japanese chess, and the relationships and drama of mid-tier professional life, all with a light touch of SHAFT style.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

I can't believe dogsicle cheated me out of getting to vote for Haikyuu twice on my list.

Owned

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll post my list once I catch up with Yuri on Ice

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
5. Mayoiga: :gooncamp: the anime. Dorky in just the right ways. Dumb plot but I wasn't expecting a good one. Also made a bunch of watchers unreasonably angry for some reason, so that's a plus.

4. Planetarian: Probably the closest thing to a moe show I've ever liked. Mostly it's just that I'm a programmer and it had a surprisingly good portrayal of AI. I actually found myself thinking up more justifications for why the AI might operate like that than I did pointing out reasons it never would. That's pretty rare. Got too sappy near the end, but it was short so it didn't outlive its welcome.

3. Flip Flappers: It's like a Madoka that I don't want to poo poo all over. Wow!

Is actually creative and does good visual storytelling, with >= 1 good characters. The plot just gets in the way of the story most the time though, and the creativity starts slipping after the animators' fingers get worn down into little nubs from all the visual references they had to fit in the early episodes.

2. Space Patrol Luluco: It was consistently funny. I laughed. For some reason a lot of people actually took worst-love-interest-2016 seriously though.

1. Keijo!!!!!!1! : I've only seen the last episode of this show, on a whim and out of context, but I could not loving breathe for how hard I laughed at it. I'm pretty sure 'keijo' is actually the onomatopoeia for the sound of a japanese anime writer throwing their hands up in the air. I can't tell if this is intentional or accidental self parody, or which of those is the funnier option. No way I'm loving watching the rest though.

Overall kind of a poo poo year. Only 2 proper good shows and I can't think of any honorable mentions.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
5. Lupin III this was a bit more my speed than Fujiko's show, since it wasn't trying to moodily redress outdated literary notions or whatever. Instead it was just a beautiful installment of what is the best long-running anime franchise. Eat poo poo Gundam.
4. Haikyu might be the best sports anime/manga of all time one day, if it can dislodge Slam Dunk somehow. As it stands, it does a wonderful job of being in second place, for now. They managed to get about a full season's worth of episodes out of one game of volleyball but it never felt slow or like it was spinning it's wheels. Glorious.
3. Osomatsu-san is that rare comedy that got me as hype as any action show. From now on, whenever someone says "anime isn't funny" or "Japanese humor doesn't translate" I'm going to remember Takahiro Sakurai's incoherent pain noises as he is carried around, rectally impaled on a horse's todger
2. Thunderbolt Fantasy The only non-stock, non-predictable thing about this show is that it's full of puppets, yet despite being a fairly by the numbers bit of sword and sorcery, it was fun as hell, and my favorite work from one of like 4 writers in anime that I know the name of.
1. Mob Psycho 100 is a work of art. Like, if One Punch Man is Die Hard then Mob Psycho 100 is some Mad Max Fury Road Seven Samurai Lawrence of Arabia poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
5. Haikyuu: Oh my goooood. I love these volleyball boys!!!!! Really nothing I could say about why this season was soooooo good would make sense without the rest of the story context but it was a major moment in the story and they nailed it in the adaptation to animation

4. 91 Days: This was a treat. I love me a good crime story, especially the mob and all that, and boy did they nail it with this. It's a story about miserable, broken, people forming bonds with each other that are always on the edge of betrayal. No one's a good guy and the show makes zero effort to pretend anyone is. Still somehow it wound up with me caring about both the main character and the guys he wanted to kill by the end of it. Between bombastic characters like a sadistic lunatic named Fango and more reserved traditional mafia story guys you'd think there'd be whiplash, but the show actually manages to have its cake and eat it too.

3. Kiss Him Not Me: This show is really loving stupid but it actually goes places that I genuinely love. Like, it actually has a moment where the yaoi fan girl has to kinda confront that the whole 'bad boy kinda tries to force himself on the object of his affections' is actually a scary and creepy thing to happen to someone and it's not just handwaved away. It's really dumb, but there's a weird amount of effort put into it that creates a good product as a whole in the end. I may just be saying this because I'm human garbage like the lead character though. I'm really into seeing how this all shakes out and this kinda turned from a 'haha yea cringe humor in anime, cool' thing to an actual thing I want to see.

2. Miss Bernard Said: It feels weird to put a short anime on my top list and not honorable mention or whatever but it really feels like this thing deserves more love. Maybe it's because I am a total book nerd and 100% identify with Shiori being an over aggro sperglord about a favorite genre and all but this was a really fun watch and it was kinda neat to see it grow from just 'library funtimes with rapid fire lit references' to an actual story that felt really sweet by the end. It'll take like, an hour to watch it all I think and it's totally worth it. Lots of good shorts this year in general but this is the standout for me.

1. Yuri!!! On Ice: Jesus christ this anime. This loving anime. It's the best, it's just the best. Like, I could write a huge post on why it's good but really all that needs to be said is it's a romance anime and a sports anime mashed into one, where 99% of the characters are male and the focus is on exploring male relationships and showing beautiful ice skating scenes that supplement that. It's a genuinely touching anime at times, the ending may fall a bit flat for you but even with that the story as a whole and the wonderful character work (even guys who get like, ten minutes time total get great moments) more than make it a number one pick for me.

Honorable Mentions:

-Keijo!!!!: I kinda debated between this and Kiss Him, Not Me because they both fit the 'this is really stupid but you actually put a weird amount of effort into making this a good story' role. It's a show where the Nipple Ripple Madness and Vacuum Butt Cannon are treated like shonen anime moves and 'she made her boobs look like a butt' is a thing said in a high tension fight. It's so goddamn stupid but it totally revels in it and crosses all the way around to being good.

-Sweetness and Lightning: A sweet walking ball of fluff and her father learn to cook from a food monster afraid of knives, and through it they work through their feelings about the death of the fluff-ball's mother. It probably has some of the most heart of the shows this season, and the food they make is good rear end stuff. It's a sweet show that will make you hungry and cry.

-Konosuba:Fantastic funny anime that's a solid parody of the normal tropes that manages to make a party of actually fun characters to interact with their crazy world. Also Megumin is best girl.

-Gundam Thunderbolt: I liked it. I liked the jazz I liked...most of the characters...but nothing really HAPPENED with it. The show does a great job of showing that mecha space combat is actually loving horrifying but at the end of the day it feels like it's just spinning its wheels and telling you 'hey ya know the manga's pretty good....'

-Love Live! Sunshine!!: Adorable and fun. Not as good as the OG but they clearly learned from the second season of the first series and there was none of the pointless dicking around that dragged down that one's start. If you don't like idol bullshit this won't convert you, and if you like idol bullshit you've already seen this, so that's pretty much why it's here and not on my list proper. Good show, but it's exactly what you expect.

-Lupin III Part 4: Oh man, I wanted to put this on my list but just couldn't fit it on. It's good poo poo y'all. Lupin is good poo poo.

-Jojo: The literal only reason this here is because like someone else said I read the manga so I can't pretend anything in this was a shock. This is good poo poo though, if you're not at least watching Jojo I don't know what you're doing. This arc was a great one and it was awesome seeing it animated. It also had probably the best villain in the entire series.

-Ping Pong Girls: It's good, but I kinda would have liked it more if it was just the first few episodes. In a season of fantastic sports anime this just kinda doesn't make the cut, even if it's still a solid show. If you like light hearted sports stuff and don't mind a bit of weird fanservicey bits that they at least try to pass off as jokes it's a good watch.

-New Game!: wage slave work have never been so cute. Just some healthy and normal girls working in a healthy and normal video game dev environment!!!!

I can't list this because it's not part of the season but oh my god watch this now anyway: March Comes Like a Lion is real good, guys.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 27, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I didn't watch a ton this year and probably missed some stuff that should be on my list, but i didn't see them.
EDIT: I watched 91 Days since I originally posted this and updated my rankings

#5: Tonkatsu DJ: This is a show with one joke, but it was a really good joke. Loved the art style and the music, it was a fun show

#4: 91 Days: Awesome setting, great characters, great villains. Amazing how it was able to hit so many different kinds of settings, from dead serious to mad cap. Second best Mob related show I watched this year

#3 Jojo: good season, good villian, but Morioh just never really did it for me. Looking forward to next season, really enjoyed reading it

#2: Kiznaiver: This show really should be #1, but it just couldn't stick the landing. It was gorgeous as hell, funny, emotional, interesting characters (mostly) all that good stuff. But in the end, the plot kind stopped going anywhere, the climax seemed off, and not enough really happened to live up to what preceded it. A lot of shows suffer from trying to have too many twists to keep the watchers guessing, this was a show that desperately needed a major twist. You owe it to yourself to watch the first episode, it is surreal and hits all of the notes that makes this show great. I almost want to rank it #1 just to make a point, but I cant because Mob was just so much better.

#1: Mob Psycho: whats to say? One knows how to loving write, and they made one of the most gorgeous shows this year. The action is great, the comedy is great, if you watch one show from 2016, it should be this one

Special shout out to Thunderbolt Fantasy, I watched it hungover one weekend and it was like nothing I had ever seen before. Dont know if it was good or bad, but it was different as hell.

Other shout out: Drifters: I constantly kept thinking that this show was dumb, but I was addicted to it. Fun mindless stuff, fun characters. Its not high art or anything, but it hits the spot for violence

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 4, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

#1: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
I'm biased, and it does actually play into my choice for number one here. The adaptation was masterful. The animation wasn't always top class, which is why on an overall level, I think my #2 is the best anime of the year realistically speaking, but when DIU was on point, it was gorgeous. The voice acting was top notch, the music was top notch, it delivered on the majority of the most hype parts of the manga extremely well. I actually had number 2 at number 1 leading into the final week of DiU, but the final episode was just that good, they got TOMMY back and I am legit sad that there is no more duwang ever until alternate duwanglion.

#2: Mob Psycho 100
This show is legit perfect in every single way. Casting - Perfect. Animation - Perfect. Music - Perfect. It touches every single high note and emotional peak of the manga and it has the greatest person of all time

Reigen Arataka.

#3: Flying Witch
It's like watching that feeling you get when you have a food coma. Everything about the show is pure charming. There's not enough manga to adapt for a season 2 yet, but what there is left unadapted is just as good as what has been.

#4: Amanchu!
It's like watching that feeling you get when you have a food coma, but it's because of gay dive buddies instead of cute flying witches. I haven't read the manga for this yet though, I need to get on it.

#5: Dragon Ball Super
It's funny, because last year, Super was atrocious. When it was retelling the 2 latest movies, it was slow, ugly and garbage already done better with some fun "filler" style episodes to show potential. This year, it's been in new territory entirely and while it still looks ugly as sin more often than not, it's had a lot of fun character interaction and the new important story arcs have all introduced enjoyable characters that gel well with the DB universe despite being inserted in 20 years later on and Dragon Ball slice of life is just fun as hell. Avoid it if you only like DBZ because DB is only an action shonen in your mind though.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
#5: Sekko Boys
A little comedy about male idols who happen to also be stone busts. I really enjoyed the cast for this show, it seemed like the team was having a bit of fun. Mars=Best!

#4:Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song
This show continued to be good this year. Exploring political themes of the 50's, 60's and 70's of Japan while drawing off of pop-culture of the time makes for a pretty interesting show. The ending felt kinda lackluster but overall I really enjoyed the second half of this series. The ost is still my favorite of the year. And some of the best animation cuts of 2016 belong to this show. Yutaka Nakmura owns!

#3:Space Patrol Luluco
A really enjoyable short comedy about a middle school space police officer in love. The last few episodes are super great!

#2:Mob Psycho 100
One of my favorite manga getting a really strong adaptation? Hell yeah! I really like Mob as a protagonist, he just wants to be a good kid. The production for this show was insane. I'm sure simplistic character designs helped a lot but it remained consistently well animated throughout its 12 episode run, no small feat. Also really loved Miyo Sato's paint on glass animation, hope we get to see more of her on other shows.

#1:Thunder Bolt Fantasy
This show was a ride. The puppets are all highly detailed and despite no facial animation they manage to be highly expressive through body language. The fight scenes can be a bit too flashy for me at times but when you can see what's going on they look really good. The cast is solid for this type of show too. It was a lot of fun to see them snark and back-stab each other. The ending episodes were by far my favorite. I was super pumped up all throughout. I even liked Sawano's musical score, and usually I dislike his stuff.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

1. Osomatsu-san : I really loved the humor and it is easily one of the most memorable shows this year for me

2. Konosuba : I didn't know anything about this and it turned out to be really funny and I'm glad it's getting a second season

3. Mob Psycho 100 : It's really good

4. Kiss Him, Not Me : I had been reading this before and I liked it so I was happy it got an anime. I like Serinuma a lot even if the other characters can be really bad sometimes

5. Flying Witch : I really loved it as a manga and I also really loved it as an anime. Good characters that just do stuff and it's great

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It really seems unfair that March Comes In Like a Lion doesn't get to be the best show for at least two years.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

kater posted:

It really seems unfair that March Comes In Like a Lion doesn't get to be the best show for at least two years.

Does it ever get more tonally consistent? My big problem with it is that it whiplashes from really dour contemplative to hyper-cutesy high energy and back too often.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Does it ever get more tonally consistent? My big problem with it is that it whiplashes from really dour contemplative to hyper-cutesy high energy and back too often.

it was definitely an issue for like the first three episodes but I haven't noticed it since.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
1. Mob Psycho 100
ONE's masterpiece brought to life in his own art style. This one hit all the right notes for me, so huge props to Studio Bones. Jaw-dropping action animation, perfect comedic timing and delivery, a kickass musical score by Kenji Kawai, Reigen. If I had to make someone watch a single show from this year's list it would be Mob Psycho, so I give it first place.

2. Hibike! Euphonium 2
KyoAni blows everyone's minds again, speaking entire pages with a character's glance, or furrowed brow, or a shuffle of their feet. Character animation as storytelling, done with an attention to detail that would make Giovanni Strazza weep. The result, when combined with the best voice acting direction in the industry, is that an otherwise mildly interesting school drama story ends up grabbing the viewer by the heart.

3. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
This is my kind of comedy. It's completely absurd, and that's the whole point. It had me crying with laughter nearly every episode.

4. Flying Witch
A lovely adaptation of a super chill slice of life manga. Cute, funny, relaxing, and just heartwarming enough to fill the Non Non Biyori-shaped hole in my heart.

5. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
This poo poo is my JAM, aww hell yeah I couldn't wait every week to get home and watch my boy Agetarou spinnin' tunes and fryin' pork while I just

Honorable mentions:

Yuri!!! on Ice: It's great, I love it! However, it feels like there should be another cour starting next week. This would be in my top 5 if it felt like a finished work, and I dearly hope there's a second season coming (and also I hope they have more time to work on the skating animation because it got super choppy in places).

Amanchu!: Cute! Relaxing! Gay! Good music! Reminds me of ARIA!

Flip Flappers: Really cool animation style, very trippy and fun to watch. I did have a hard time getting invested in the characters/story though. Regardless, it's worth watching for the visuals alone.

My Hero Academia: What's this?! A shonen action series that I actually enjoy watching?! Sweet!

New Game!: Cute and funny workplace SoL with an all-female cast. They make a Tales game or something. Nothing mind-blowing, but certainly worth watching if you like the genre.

Osomatsu-san: Is loving hilarious.

Also: Luluco, Kiznaiver, Tanaka-kun, Sweetness and Lightning, Orange, Oji-san to Marshmallow, Love Live, Kuromukuro, Konosuba, Magic of Stella . . . I never got around to finishing these, but enjoyed what I saw! Too much good anime this year, so my backlog only got longer and never shorter.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nico Nico Niiii Douga's top 5+ anime of 2016. Not bad, but no Flip Flappers whatsoever. :(

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...errer=community

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Top 5 Anime

5: Sweetness and Lightning
http://i.imgur.com/sBidETy.mp4

4: Luluco

3: Yuri on Ice

2: Tanaka-kun

1: Mob Psycho 100

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I only fully watched 6 anime this year, but I enjoyed all of them.

1. Mob Psycho 100 - Judging by where other people ranked this, what hasn't been said about this anime yet? It's really good, and I recommend this one to anyone.

2. Jojo's BIzarre Adventure: DiU - One of the most compelling villains and a great cast. I loved the slow pace of the first half of the season that suddenly ramped up to the last 9 episodes of pure intensity. I never read DiU, I stopped at Stardust Crusaders. But this season convinced me to read the rest of the series.

3. Sweetness and Lightning - It's just too adorable, I actually found this one on a recommendation.

4. Space Patrol Luluco - Also found this one on a recommendation. I almost didn't watch it, but I'm glad I did. It's a show you can either watch seriously, or turn your brain off and enjoy it.

5. Yuri!!! On Ice - I finally decided to binge watch it after people wouldn't shut up about it. I fully understand why people loved it so much. Some of the characters didn't do it for me, but characters like JJ , Pichit and Yurio kept me in it whenever I'd start losing interest. The short season size also helped with pacing, which helped keep my interest. I don't think I would've enjoyed this as a 39 episode season like Jojo.

Honorable Mentions:

Kiznaiver - I actually loved the beginning of this show. I couldn't justify putting this in my top 5 with how stagnant everything ends up plotwise. However, the first few episodes deserve praise, and I still thought the show was pretty good despite dragging itself into the climax of the story.

My Hero Academia - Haven't seen more than 3 episodes, but I like it. Hopefully I can catch up now that Jojo is over.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Only saw the first episode, but I enjoyed the premise. I've heard that the show drops in quality somewhere at the halfway point, which would be a shame.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
1. Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro
I love the music in Agetaro, it appeals so much to the many parts of my personality that I cannot help but love this show. The story itself is pretty standard, but I enjoyed seeing a lot about the night life of Japanese clubs and DJs, the various DJs you saw especially Oily voiced by one of my favorite Seiyu, Keiji Fujiwara, and the shorts being so well paced that every episode was so easy and enjoyable to burn through in no time at all. If you had told me a loving Deen show was gonna be my favorite

2. Mob Psycho 100
This is another show I got super hooked on and just burned through. I already liked OPM, but I think I fell in love with Mob Psycho after its first episode with just Reigen and Mob. These two characters single-handedly made the show a powerful experience about overcoming self-doubt and bettering yourself and who you are. It's a loving great coming of age story with a psychic main character and it has a lot of style to it too trying to adapt One's style and having gorgeous animation and colors at several points.

3. Space Patrol Luluco
After Kill La Kill, I sorta thought Imaishi sucked and shat on him a lot because KLK was such a disappointment to me. I watch Luluco at random one day and eat it up. It's such a dumb, charming show, that plays very well to Imaishi's strengths as a director and the show constantly finds ways to throw you loops for its goofy rear end humor and style. The characters are all pretty likeable in their own Trigger way and it has a good amount of great self-referential humor that I feel hits pretty strongly.

4. Yuri on Ice
Idk why I watched this show at all. Nothing about it from its descriptions sounded too appealing to me and I honestly didn't think the show was gonna live up to its ice skating backdrop much. I was still right about the latter, because the animation kinda sucks on those ice skating sequences, but it's a genuinely great story about the love of the characters in the show. While I didn't care particularly about his love interest, Yuri himself is a pretty compelling character pulling himself from being a pathetic fatass to a top skater through his love for figure skating and his idol, Victor. This also brought about several other characters who through expressing their form of love go out on the ice and perform to their utmost limits and one notable character showed that despite our faults and failings the people who love us actually do love us, warts and all. It's a genuinely pretty touching story WHERE THE RIGHT MAN WON HAHAHA

5. Mobile Suit Gundam: Victory Gundam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HsGdZ0zJ4

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
1. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge - This spot is more a reflection of my tastes than anything else. Comedic SoLs are what I like and this hits the spot in a special way. Each character has their own amusing quirks and mesh and bounce off the others well. At the very minimum, this is SoL and Comedy anime of 2016. I'd say more, but :effort:
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - Objectively, this is probably one of the best anime to come out this year as is standard from David and it'll probably be Great Days ahead for them until the end of Jojo Series 7. Some of the best OPs this season as well as the animation quality that has made Jojo a hit after hit in a Bloody Stream of masterpieces. It's probably not one of my favorite Jojos, but it still Stand(s) Proud over pretty much every other series this year in most aspects. It'll be a shame to say good bye to that Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town. But David will probably continue to Chase for the title of GOAT Anime
3. Flying Witch - Another comfy SoL and it's probably the comfiest of them all. The show must be magic because as soon as I start watching, a half hour goes by and I realize the ED is starting and I wonder where the time went. The characters are adorable and endearing. The atmosphere is calm and soft. It has the sort of energy that Tanaka would enjoy. My only disappointment is that we don't learn all that much about their magical world, but it's probably for the best as it would get in the way of more comfy.
4. Amaama to Inazuma - These last remaining places are generally hard to pick out since there's usually only a few standout series in a given year. One through four were no issue, but five was definitely a hard one to really pin down. The other contenders for the spot included Sansha Sanyou, New Game!, Stella no Mahou and other lighter fare as the more darker fare, I either dropped (Erased, Grimgar) or never really picked up (MHA, Fate, Mob Psycho 100, Gundam). That left a handful of picks that were definitely above average, but not quite so standout as to make an incredibly lasting impression like the above three (and Hibike deserved a place but not fourth). Still, when it came down to it, Amaama to Inazuma peaked just above the others on its tiptoes to round out the list. The story doesn't quite follow the manga, but it hits the high points with its primary cast. The use of a child VA is nothing new, but it definitely works to its advantage. It knows how to pull on the heart strings and the stomach ones and it has a good mix of fluffy and adorable sweetness with a light helping of mellow comedy with just a dash of emotion and sorrow.
5. Hibike! Euphonium 2 - One of two KyoAni series this year, and this is by and large the better of the two (except in certain, less fortunate aspects). As a sequel, it didn't have as much of a pop as the first season did and leaned a bit harder on the character development of its cast. It's great. It really is, but part of the charm was put to the wayside as the SoL aspects of the series gave way to the more emotional tribulations of its members. The animation and sound design is still gorgeous, but unfortunately, I remember S1 so much more fondly.

Honorable Mentions
Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song - The second half of an amazingly interesting series that chronicled a tumultuous time period in Japan through the lens of the strange and wonderful manga and animation that sprang up in Japan during that era. Unfortunately, the plot, while still somewhat achronological, never really put itself together in a way that made it easier for viewers to parse. Certainly the writers knew what was going on, but the viewers were still lost in the shuffle. In addition, the ending feels like the plot needed a half dozen for episodes at least to flesh itself out. Another cour could've done wonders, but as it stands, it couldn't quite pace itself near the end. It's certainly better than another anime that premiered this year by Trigger whose pacing issues were probably worse, but ultimately it doesn't quite hit the mark there.
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash - I actually dropped this around episode three. The backgrounds are lovingly gorgeous and from what i hear, it probably deserves at least a top 10 spot. As it stands though, I can't in all fairness give it a place if I haven't even watched the whole series. I doubt it would've placed, though
Sansha Sanyou -
Space Patrol Luluco - It's definitely a Trigger show and it's especially Imaishi's creation. The energy is kicked up to 11, the speed is in the red zone and the sanity is at 0. It is a love letter to and from Trigger and Trigger fans with an ultimately simple story to it. To me, though, it feels like eating an exotic flavor of popcorn. It's great, light and interesting, but it doesn't quite feel so lasting. Especially when compared to Imaishi's other works which feel so grand or bold in comparison. The envelope was pushed too far before and it makes Luluco feel like it's coloring in the lines as a consequence. It's by no means bad, and it's pretty good in its own right, but it felt like it wasn't really a whole idea placed into a series, but rather a fragment of one sent to fill in a gap that was needed at the last minute and decided to riff off of some old favorites while it killed time.
Sushi Police - Just looking at it, it feels like something produced from the US or France. A gag a week comedy in CG. Surprisingly, it's a Japanese production and for a medium that has commonly poo poo the bed when it comes to CG, having a purely CG series seems pretty good. The animation's smooth and while the antics are pretty par for what one might see in the states, it's not by any means bad. It's not exemplary or amazing and its overarching plot seems just a bit half baked, especially between the final episodes where it feels like there was an entire episode skipped. Still, it's an interesting novelty to say the least and is worth watching an episode or two for the curious.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 27, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

1. Mob Psycho 100: A perfect adaptation all around, Bones did an excellent job. Wonderfully animated , the characters ONE scribbled really come to life. Though ONE's no slouch, his art may be amusingly rough but his writing is on point, the characters grow and develop well while being amusing at the same time, and this adaptation captured all that quite well. The only complaints I could even muster up were "I wish they included this or that scene from the manga", so this goes at the top.

2. Osomatsu-san: How can you revive a 50 year old property and make it good? Well, ask the folks behind Osomatsu because it is absolutely hilarious. It was so great I decided to see how the 1966 and 1988 shows fared, and they suck! They're all lame jokes about them looking the same. So breaking off from that, made them all distinct, but keeping them all funny. Some bits weren't great or maybe a bit too incomprehensible, but those were far between in the 24 episodes, I can't even remember a specific one.

3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: My second favorite Jojo part, part 4 is good and deserves a good adaptation. Fortunately, Devid Productions loves Jojo, and though their budget may not be the highest, leading to some episodes looking not so great, it's because they can capture that Jojo style so well that even the most questionably animated episodes still end up looking good. Every thing I like about part 4 was there, and I'm glad of it.

4. 91 Days: A down to earth mobster revenge story, this ain't no Baccano with it's supernatural shenanigans. Though it doesn't need that, because it's characters are great, you want to see them get shot while at the same time feeling bad that they get shot.

5. Space Patrol Luluco: Finally, Trigger saves anime. Fast paced and funny, though I enjoyed it somewhat less once it reached it's "lets reference all our shows" arc (the best reference was Inferno Cop's appearance). However, the final sequence makes up for it, frantic and fun topping off the dumbest love story ever told.

Honorable Mentions

Konosuba, Sweetness and Lightning

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

Y'all are crazy if you think I'm not doing this anyway

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

Y'all are crazy if you think I'm not doing this anyway

You're my hero, Knorth.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: by far the best show of the year in terms of storytelling and visuals tackling a subject that is pretty unrepresented in anime and doing it mostly well, the only fault i can give it is that the pacing of the start the show, should have just started in the flashback

2. Osomatsu-san: the funniest show of the year, karamatsu is the best brother

3. Hagane Orchestra: best commercial and short of the year. shameless capitalism and fourth walking breaking jokes and references, all that i want

4.Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan: another funny show. technically i can't rate this cause i haven't seen the last ep, but i'm doing it anyway

5. i didn't rate anything else above an 8, so i have nothing to put on 5, none of the other shows i watched quite feel like a best anime

Honorary mentions

Girls Und Panzer der Film: it didn't actually come out this year, but it got translated this year and was the most fun action i've anime of the year

Honobono Log: i'm putting this on here cause nobody probably watched it, its not fantastic or anything but its a bunch of nice vignettes showing various relationships

Konosuba: that harem comedy that people accept is funny of the year, well it was ok. didn't offer anything new though and the noses are soooo ugly

Kuromokuro: I don't know if it was because of the worse translations due to the tl group stopping, or the show itself but I didn't enjoy the second half nearly as much as the first half, still fun though

Hyouge Mono: this didn't come out this year and i dont' give a crap, only 10/10 of anything i've seen this year

shows i didn't finish, might come back to: euphonium, yuri on ice

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You have a konosuba nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1. Lupin III Part IV - Anyone around here who knows my tastes probably isn't surprised at this pick. I've consumed a lot of Lupin and I'll take any chance I can get to talk about how underappreciated this show was (or at least, on the English-speaking side of things). Earlier this decade after lingering in the stench of over two decades of, let's face it, mostly mediocre tv specials and movies, the franchise finally got a breath of fresh air in the form of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. After that, Koike has been taking charge of the darker, bolder new direction for the franchise with Jigen's Gravestone and his upcoming movie centered around Goemon. If that alone were the future of Lupin I'd be pretty happy! But lucky for me, TMS decided to finally make the anime they should have made decades ago.

Before The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, a huge problem was that since 1989 is that all of the Lupin content being made was feature length. Some of it turned out good but the bulk of it is real mediocre. Unlike the different tv shows there was little in the way of variety. Most of them centered around Lupin trying to get an object, with the bad guy also wanting that object to rule the world/get superpowers/etc. Frequently giving little for the supporting cast to do outside of their usual shtick. Fortunately, Part IV changes that! It's a given that most of the episodes will involve Lupin but even the supporting cast get their own time to shine. Zenigata gets thrown to the side all too often in feature length Lupin stuff, so I was real glad to see that not only did he get an episode centered around him, but also had some real strong episodes purely about Zenigata trying to capture Lupin. One in particular that stands out is an episode where Zenigata succeeds in capturing Lupin but has to stand watch so Lupin doesn't escape. It's a homage to one of my favorite Lupin episodes of all time, and it succeeds at giving some fun little nods to the original episode as well as distinguishing itself such that even if you're not familiar with the episode you're in for a good time.

The show's direction stays strong throughout and the animation is top-notch. Were it not for a few places in which the overarching plot sags I'd have no problem calling it one of the best anime in years, but as it stands it's still a very good show and I didn't even have to think about it being my number one pick for 2016. It's unfortunate but I think it being titled "Part IV" was a huge turnoff to many. Especially given that Part I is from the early 70s so I imagine that plenty of folks saw Part IV on Crunchyroll, decided to look up Part I because that makes sense as a starting point in most cases, saw how old it was and didn't bother.

Everyone should give it a shot and you don't even need to be familiar with the cast to enjoy it, they're all simple characters and you can easily understand what everyone's deal is after watching a single episode. It's the sort of show that, ironically, if it were the same show without Lupin attached to it, then it would likely be much more popular among western fans because that's how straight forward it is. You don't need to know a thing about Lupin to have a good time!

2. Mob Psycho 100 - This is gonna get a fair amount of votes so I'll keep it brief. I was lukewarm on what I saw of One Punch Man so watching Mob was never my plan. I was just bored one evening and decided to hit it up since I kept hearing positive buzz about it. And while it took a few episodes to get going, once it clicked with me I tore through the rest pretty fast. It (lovingly) takes the piss out of a genre that has seen more popular days, all while wrapped in some impeccable animation. While Reigen might not be the best supernatural con artist out there in anime, he definitely does a fine job holding second place.

3. Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro - A real stylish take on a subculture I knew very little about. Akitaro Daichi has directed a lot of solid comedy over the years and this one is no exception. It's funny, the music is great, and you can finish it in a single day. Watch it!

I didn't watch anything else from 2016 that I feel is good enough to be on a top 5 so it's a top 3 instead.

• Locked thread