Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe Mob Pyscho though I'm really not that much of a One-punch man fan so that's been holding me back.

They're similar but not that similar. One Punch Man is a comedy and a parody first; Mob Psycho 100 is a lot more character-driven, the scale is smaller, and it's less of a send-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It honestly might have been more of a fanbase thing, I just became more and more tired of the praise OPM was getting when after a certain point the chapters coming out would be these beautifully drawn low-page-count things that didn't actually move the story forward all that much. In the end Mob Pyscho is not a huge # of episodes so I should probably just go through it anyway.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Nate RFB posted:

It honestly might have been more of a fanbase thing, I just became more and more tired of the praise OPM was getting when after a certain point the chapters coming out would be these beautifully drawn low-page-count things that didn't actually move the story forward all that much. In the end Mob Pyscho is not a huge # of episodes so I should probably just go through it anyway.

that'd be the murata redraw. "beautifully drawn" is not exactly how i would describe ONE's artstyle. Mob Psycho doesn't have a redraw so it's actually emulating ONE's style, and it looks really good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you could just be hipster and read the ONE version. its good

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Space Flower posted:

it still drives me nuts how cute yet snappy the char writing could be with stuff like this, and yet the rest of the show is consigned to Aniplex's "sorry, we're not giving you guys enough resources to make a good show even though the show's premise hits a desirable but just barely untapped corner of the market." and it's like, look how popular it got for having literally zero advertisement before airing and for being constrained by a budget that wouldn't allow them to flesh out the naval surface combat like they wanted to.

friggin' fail production committees. who looked at the premise here sitting between GuP and KanColle and said, "woah, ww2 ships? high school girls in military combat? we should bet safely here." i am platinum mad

I don't know, I unironically thought it was kinda charming when Miho could only make left turns for an entire episode. While I wonder what it might have been able to do with a better budget, ship combat is always going to be slow (so is tank combat for that matter, so maybe that's not a great excuse), so my bigger problem was with some of the silliness with the larger plot, though the last episode/last fight and charming little character moments were enough for me to say that the show is worth watching. Just that it's not going anywhere near my AotY list.

Nate RFB posted:

Things I might watch based on others' lists: Konosuba (though I was going to watch this probably anyway), Flip Flappers, and Osomatsu-san. For some reason I thought Osomatsu was the one about the weirdly drawn lady going around to bars or something. Maybe Mob Pyscho though I'm really not that much of a One-punch man fan so that's been holding me back.

I wasn't a big fan of OPM either, and I thought that MP100 was quite good. Give it a shot, plenty of people like it better.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

For some reason I thought Osomatsu was the one about the weirdly drawn lady going around to bars or something.

Are you saying you didn't watch Osomatsu because you thought it was Wakakozake?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That lady freaks me out!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wakakozake saved anime

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pssshuuuu~

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Special Awards Section

Best Boy
Asuma-senpai from Kiss Him, Not Me

Best Girl
Totoko-chan from Osomatsu-san

Best Catboy
Felix

Best Catgirl
Felix

Best Single Episode of a Show That's Not In My Top Five
Kiss Him, Not Me episode 6: "Let The Shipping Wars Begin!"

Best Robot in a Bad Show
Mira from Dimension W

Best Peek Through the Fingers

Kuromukuro

Best Couple in a Lame Show
Fine and Izetta

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Best Girl who didn't get a girlfriend at the end

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

Best Catboy
Felix
In a year with Killer Queen?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Best Girl who didn't get a girlfriend at the end

At least she got a bunny.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
"I'm no good at coming up with witty names, but this scene has to win something" special award:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0__y-UXbE

(Mildly NSFW, from Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko Ja Nai, to Omotta)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

"I'm no good at coming up with witty names, but this scene has to win something" special award:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0__y-UXbE

(Mildly NSFW, from Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko Ja Nai, to Omotta)
why does this scene need an award

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did Iron Blooded Orphan poop the bed or something? Would have expected to see more of it from how crazy people got over it initially.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

kater posted:

Did Iron Blooded Orphan poop the bed or something? Would have expected to see more of it from how crazy people got over it initially.

I love it still, but since it's spanning a couple of fall/winter seasons and still ongoing i can't figure out when exactly I get to rank it :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

I love it still, but since it's spanning a couple of fall/winter seasons and still ongoing i can't figure out when exactly I get to rank it :v:

Bingo. It's halfway through the second season, which is mostly payoff for the set-up last season. That's a really awkward place to judge a show. Also, the first season finale put off a few too many conflicts and consequences for S2 rather than delivering on them there and then, and while it's been addressing those, that spooked a fair few viewers.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ah I didn't realize it was still going on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A part of me still thinks the first season of IBO would've been a fine place to end it all.

E: Why does crunchyroll not have the first episode of Osomatsu?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 31, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Best Ambiguously Cat-Like Creature:

Best Ambiguously Rabbit-Like Creature:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

It got pulled from everywhere (including home release) for copyright reasons or somesuch. Find it, because it freaking owns! Episode 3.5 is the new "first" episode and replaces the vanished one on the blurays.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Some copyright thing from all the references they made, it's not on the Japanese blu-rays either. They replaced it with episode 3.5.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was a stunt, but it was cool in the moment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kater posted:

The ending of s01 dropped the ball but the show's still really good, it's just s02 isn't finishing until 2018 and s01 ended in March, so people aren't putting it in their top 5s.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Right, here's my list, which kept being in flux.

1. Yuri on Ice
Regardless of how you feel about the ending, I still think it was one of the best portrayal of relationships in anime this year, gay, romantic, or not.

2. Love Live Sunshine
It managed to step outside of its predecessor's shadow, and was just a fantastic show all around

3. Osomatsu-san
It's funny as hell, watch it!

4. Saiki Kusuo no PSI-nan
Also funny as hell, and one of Jump's best overlooked hits

5. Tanaka-kun is always listless
One of the big surprises for me, and had a great cast.

And now for the many many honorable mentions

Best Show that should be in my top list by all rights but isn't for arbitrary reasons
Mob Psycho 100

Best Short
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Best Shirobako Show that's not Shirobako
Girlish Number

Best Show about a High School Band Solving Relationships
Sound Euphonium S2

Best Show about a High School Band Solving Mysteries
Haruchika

Best Show that has Nana Mizuki
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!

Best Show that accurately portrays how D&D games actually go
Konosuba

Best Show about Two Dudes Performing an Aging Art Form
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū

Best Show about Two Dudes Developing an Aging Publication
The Great Passage (Fune wo Amu)

Best Sports Show that's totally Haikyuu!!!
Haikyuu!!!!

Best Show that features robots

Best Show about your Dad sending you on fun adventures with your girlfriend
Flip Flappers

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 1, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

a kitten posted:

Best Peek Through the Fingers

Kuromukuro

Contender:

Flip Flappers

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Best Ambiguously Rabbit-Like Creature:

:yeah:

Ranzear posted:

Contender:

Flip Flappers

A very strong contender indeed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The blush through the hands is a nice touch.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Allarion posted:

2. Love Live Sunshine
It managed to step outside of its predecessor's shadow, and was just a fantastic show all around

Best Show that has Nana Mizuki
Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!

This would make more sense if Nana Mizuki wasn't already in Love Live Sunshine.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Is the other guy actually naked underneath, or is it averted? Because we know Salt is shirtless in the next scene.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ranzear posted:

Is the other guy actually naked underneath, or is it averted? Because we know Salt is shirtless in the next scene.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

darkgray posted:

This would make more sense if Nana Mizuki wasn't already in Love Live Sunshine.

Main Cast roles only!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I can't confirm or deny whether I watched Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū past the first two episodes but I have absolute blind faith that my fujo mom Haruko Kumota spawned the best show of the season.

2Pho was really good too

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 1, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

devtesla posted:

Wakakozake saved anime

Yah

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Best Mentor: DJ Oily

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah and the "best film to come out in 2015 but get a Blu-ray release/fansub in 2016" has to go to Girls und Panzer der Film. Sorry Hosoda, Boy and the Beast was just kind of OK and didn't have the Finnish tankery team.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Best Mentor: DJ Oily

Aside: I don't remember this shot...

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I was going to type a lot of words but then I decided to type slightly less words. Here's a list.

Haikyuu!! - Second Season + Karasuno vs Shiratorizawa. First time I've ever been this hype about a shonen sports show.
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. Such a chill and warmhearted show. Ohta is the best waifu of 2016.
Flying Witch. Turns out there's room for two chill SOL shows in my top five. The best show about cooking road-side plants.
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. Loved the artstyle, loved the slow pace, even loved the episode four twist.
Flip Flappers. Didn't quite stick the landing for me, but the first half was so good that it still made the list.

Total number of shows of which I watched at least three episodes: 28.

Other stuff I enjoyed this year:

Hibike! Euphonium 2. The plot felt slightly weaker than S1, but it's still a beautiful, well-directed, and superbly acted show.
Girlish Number. I still have to watch the finale, but I really enjoyed this cynical-yet-cute look at the anime industry.
Konosuba. Nothing groundbreaking, but still pretty funny. Looking forward to the second season.
Miss Bernard Said. Niche as gently caress, but really entertaining. Probably my favorite short this year.
New Game! Pretty standard Cute Girls Doing Cute Things 4-koma comedy, but executed really well.
This Art Club Has a Problem! See above.

Shows I skipped, but will definitely watch in the near future:

Mob Psycho 100
Orange
Osomatsu-san
Yuri!!! on Ice
Teekyu - s7 & s8
Mob Psycho 100
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto

And finally, my favorite OPs and EDs of the year:

Haikyuu!! Season 3 OP + ED
Tanaka-kun OP
Flip Flappers OP + ED
Hibike! Euphonium 2 OP
Scorching Ping Pong Girls OP

Is there going to be a thread for best OP/ED of 2016? Or should we skip the formalities and just declare the Flip Flappers ED the winner?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm glad you are correctly planning to watch mob psycho twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't realize Nobunaga no Shinobi was two cour so my new list is as follows:

Flip Flappers
MOb psycho 100
Osomatsu-san
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
91 Days - Great mafia drama, great voice actors, even if it wasn't perfect and sometimes the performances too dramatic it was great fun and I enjoyed it from week to week. It also had a great black comic streak going through it to the end. I think this was made by a lot of relative newbies so I hope whatever they make next is even better.

• Locked thread