Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I didn't realize the writer of Flip Flappers was dropped halfway through but man that explains a hell of a lot.

Also makes what we got in the end even more disappointing because the potential for a whole show of how the first half was, was actually a real possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't realize the writer of Flip Flappers was dropped halfway through but man that explains a hell of a lot.

iirc around the time it happened people said she'd also dropped work she was doing on kinmoza

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Must have been right after the Iroha inception episode then, because that was never really touched on again.

Maybe she'll come back for a season 2 where they can solve a murder mystery by finding the doors or something.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think there should be a season 2 of flip flappers

namely because oshiyama is already working on something with yuasa and also because it already has a good ending without anything left to resolve

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I think Pure Illusion being the 'surface level' of people's minds and being able to go deeper and gently caress them up or learn really private things is a cool enough concept to run with. 'Murder Mystery' was a joke though.

But I'm a bit of a neurology nerd so maybe that's too much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think there's anything interesting or fun you could do with a season 2 of flip flappers short of turning it into a spiritual successor to space dandy, or a weird slice of life show about cocona, papika, yayaka and company just sort of hanging out

which, actually, i guess i would be ok with watching, but i doubt it would turn out that way

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Maybe they could make season two about Nyunyu and the twins so they could actually do something more with them.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

There's definitely some options there. Some literal 'Get out of my head, Charles' to play with if they brought in some new antagonist. I can't figure Mimi and Cocona are unique.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't know what to make of that considering I felt Ep 7 was the best of the show, which would be immediately after she left.

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
Flip Flappers is anime of the year for me but I don't think a 2nd season would do any good either, the story went where it had to go and to me it would feel like extending whats an already complete package.

If they wanna make an ova of cocona and papika's day to day life after everything and then it ends with their big gay wedding I'd be all over that though.

kater posted:

I don't know what to make of that considering I felt Ep 7 was the best of the show, which would be immediately after she left.

:same:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wanna see that writer / director combo attached to something new

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I just want more shows that set off my HPPD while remaining coherent.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
she's done good work on lots of shows and the episodes of locodol she scripted are pretty much entirely about the main character's friend being super duper incredibly in love with her, but i think flip flappers managed pretty well after she stopped working on it

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I maybe saw a dozen or so shows this year, and everything I watched was pretty good. So I think I'm going to stick to a top show. Luluco is a close second, but:

1. Flying Witch: Probably my favorite opening song of any series, to start off with. It sets the tone for the series: consistently upbeat, somewhat nostalgic, and with moments of high energy that flow into the rest of the song. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of drama, especially unnecessary. Right from the beginning the show nips a viable source of drama in the bud; rather than have the main character and titular witch spend the entire show hiding her magic from others, she accidentally reveals it to a friend, and, upon realizing her mistake, remarks that it's probably not a big deal. And it's never brought up again. The entire show is more or less drama free, with often the only the most minor of conflict, many of which, while initially appearing to potentially to lead up to something significant and prolonged, are resolved entirely within the episode without much issue, and without any negative repercussions. The show is not only fundamentally relaxing, but it's incredibly good natured as well. Every animal and creature is a potential friend for the cast, and I don't think anybody in the show has a single bad bone in their body. The characters are all pretty fun as well, the main character is great, her sister is wonderful, the family's mom is one of my favorite characters in the show, and everybody else is incredibly likable, even the cat. It's a show that I'd watch when I want to relax after a long day, a show I'd watch to prolong a good mood, a show to cheer me up, or a show to deal with stress. It's honestly probably one of my favorite anime of all time. The biggest criticism I have is that the bakke they make tempura with is actually mildly toxic, and has been shown to cause not only liver damage but also cancer. A good source of other nutrients, however, but still probably not the best thing to eat.

I'll still probably try it one day.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The Colonel posted:

but yuniko was dropped from all the projects she had going on at once, not just flip flappers???

:shrug: I haven't followed it myself, I just saw a lot of posts speculating about it.

Looking further though, I'm finding she gets a lot of hate in general; apparently she's had hate threads about her on 2ch for years now :wtc:, and has had to stop tweeting about her shows for example. A lot of it seems to stem from unfounded rumors circulated by industry people who hate her because she's a talented young woman who started writing for anime straight out of high school though, so it's all kind of sad and I think it's time for me to stop reading about it.

everythingWasBees posted:

The biggest criticism I have is that the bakke they make tempura with is actually mildly toxic, and has been shown to cause not only liver damage but also cancer. A good source of other nutrients, however, but still probably not the best thing to eat.

I'll still probably try it one day.

From what I understand, when prepared correctly it loses most of its toxicity and is safe to eat as long as you don't do so too frequently.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

z0glin Warchief posted:

I was curious so I went to look around the Japanese internet a little, and it seems like it got a lot of hate there for "I don't see the point"/"I don't get it"/"What are they trying to do with this even?". Lots of speculation that that's why they dropped the writer Yuniko midway through and made that shift to being more plot driven or whatever.

yeah that's what people on /a/ were saying, that the initial japanese response was "I don't get it" and it just never got traction. it was hearsay but if you say that too then it makes sense.
anyway, 2channel is filled with bitter people who make hate threads for everything from yuniko to the new etrian odyssey games, theyre fail. 2chan is the place where everyone loves boats and yuri and memes.

also, i posted in the flipflap thread, but yuniko did tweet that she separated from the team early last year, not during broadcast. The show does a remarkable job of reorienting itself with her gone, but the front half was much stronger to me in respect to Papika and Cocona and I can't imagine the show without that early magic between them.

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
If I know one thing about the internet, and I imagine this applies to Japanese boards too, is that people will pour tons of hate on people and things for the most inane of reasons.

It's a shame that that's the opinion on 2ch, although knowing that she makes nerds mad kinda makes me like her more, I don't usually watch for staff names when picking anime but I will keep a lookout for her now I think.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

From what I understand, when prepared correctly it loses most of its toxicity and is safe to eat as long as you don't do so too frequently.

Most is pretty relative. I know for similar plants, boiling the plant ended up reducing rates of tumors by a good third, and treating it with different chemicals can further reduce it, but it's still pretty significant (I no longer have access toa articles where they measured the cancer rates after certain preparations for bakke specifically, but I might look into it some more once I do as now I'm a more than a bit curious.) The most effective treatments, and what they do for any medical supplements using it, are the chemical treatments, but that's not really something most people would do with fresh bakke before frying it. Eating it on rare occasions probably won't won't do too much harm yeah, but doing it with any regularity is probably very much not a good idea.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 2, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though with anime the writer/composer isn't the sole creative force behind the show, so it's not like the director was left with half a story entirely someone else's and made stuff up, and it didn't happen in the middle of production.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-08-17/your-ultimate-guide-to-anime-ending-credits-part-iv/.105472

quote:

The series director and series composer (シリーズ構成, Series Kousei) start meeting early in production alongside the producers and production committee members (if necessary) to draft the story; in the case of adaptations they'll work with the source material as a basis and credit its author (原作), and if it's an original work whoever came up with the concept will get that credit. Either way, they make the big structural and narrative decisions together. How much input each has depends on the project, and we have to rely on interviews and behind the scenes material to find out about any particular case. There are projects where the writer was brought on late into conception and only followed orders, as well as shows creatively born in their hands. In any case the series director always outranks the series composer, so no fundamental decisions will be made against their will. Once they've approved it, the series composer will decide how to split the work into episodes so that the overall story of the show flows as well as possible and the pacing doesn't fall apart (again, often with the director's input as well).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Konosuba and Flip Flappers are pretty cool and definitely things I wish I had watched while they were airing, so thanks Best Anime Thread for the heads up. I've started to enjoy Osomatsu-san a bit more now that I've learned more or less how to differentiate the brothers (as well as who is voicing them!!) so I'll probably see it through to the end. Mob Psycho didn't do anything for me but I still might give it one or two more episodes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
First place: Haruchika. Runners up: Erased, Sound! Euphonium 2, Joker Game and Flip Flappers, in about that order. I realise that ranking Haruchika above Sound! is edgy as all hell. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

That's almost everything I even watched. Only Tanaka-kun is Always Listless and Snow White With the Red Hair get left out, and they're both good too. Obviously the main reason they don't make the cut is because their names are too long. Good thing I watched Erased and Haruchika instead of Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Obviously the main reason they don't make the cut is because their names are too long.

I can see why you overlooked 'Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!'

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Don't even get me started on Coke Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seifuku.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i'm glad the best anime of the year has an easy to remember name, with the only tricky part being the three exclamation marks on the first word

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Most is pretty relative. I know for similar plants, boiling the plant ended up reducing rates of tumors by a good third, and treating it with different chemicals can further reduce it, but it's still pretty significant (I no longer have access toa articles where they measured the cancer rates after certain preparations for bakke specifically, but I might look into it some more once I do as now I'm a more than a bit curious.) The most effective treatments, and what they do for any medical supplements using it, are the chemical treatments, but that's not really something most people would do with fresh bakke before frying it. Eating it on rare occasions probably won't won't do too much harm yeah, but doing it with any regularity is probably very much not a good idea.

Oh, I'd be interested in seeing what the findings are about that. All I've found have been studies saying "yeah feeding it to rats fucks em up" and then non-scientific articles saying "yeah be sure to akunuki them to remove the PAs and also don't eat the roots." I figured the short duration on their availability meant nobody was eating them often enough to warrant more thorough study, but I guess not.

At least zenmai is safe.

Motto posted:

Though with anime the writer/composer isn't the sole creative force behind the show, so it's not like the director was left with half a story entirely someone else's and made stuff up, and it didn't happen in the middle of production.

True, though Yuniko was also credited with "Story Concept" too, which is a pretty nonstandard credit, so it might be safe to assume she played a bigger role than would normally be expected.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ok since we seem to have a pair of smart biologists here, what are the health effects of pulling a mandrake out of the ground and eating it???

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Honorable Mentions:
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Rule of Cool. I didn't watch Attack on Titan, so I liked this. That seems to be the deciding factor with anybody.

I want to renominate this for the Aɴɪᴍᴇ ᴀs Fᴜᴄᴋ award because I just remembered the part where I said "Suplex the train! ... Oh poo poo, he actually suplexed the train."

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

i'm glad the best anime of the year has an easy to remember name, with the only tricky part being the three exclamation marks on the first word

agreed on Haikyuu!!!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

what are the health effects of pulling a mandrake out of the ground

side effects include extreme pain, temporary deafness, and potentially death (unless your ears are properly covered).

VostokProgram posted:

and eating it???

cures most diseases. studies show it may restore magical energy as well, but more research needs to be done before anything can be said conclusively.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Pretty sure you're bad at counting since I do believe that's 8 exclamation marks. :confused:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

5. Anne Happy - Anyone who knows me knows that I appreciate cute shows and this was pretty cute
4. Teekyu - this owns
3. Qualidea code - not the tightest show ever, but I love dumb shows that feel like they're upping the ante with every episode
2. Keijo!!!!!!!! - Great adaption of a good manga, funny as hell while also being a sports anim. Baps!!!!!!!! The only thing stopping it from hitting the top spot is that the last episode looked a little janky and the fact that
1. Konosuba exists - Witty, great characters, great comedy. Perfect in every way. Season 2 is a must watch for me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I kinda agree with Kvin of Sakugablog that the way that writer left Flip Flappers looks fairly amicable and is most likely due to personal problems rather than being sacked. I mean she was tweeting to promote the show after she had left, and only stopped when they got to the episodes she hadn't worked on - which seems like a professional courtesy.

There was enough foreshadowing written into the early episodes that I can't imagine the resolution was much different from how it was originally devised.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a second half of flip flappers written by yuniko would probably still be super gay, possibly incredibly moreso

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I kinda agree with Kvin of Sakugablog that the way that writer left Flip Flappers looks fairly amicable and is most likely due to personal problems rather than being sacked. I mean she was tweeting to promote the show after she had left, and only stopped when they got to the episodes she hadn't worked on - which seems like a professional courtesy.

There was enough foreshadowing written into the early episodes that I can't imagine the resolution was much different from how it was originally devised.

I believe I also heard him say that Oshiyama and Yuniko developed the concept together. Given how heavily the early episodes foreshadow the later twists and themes, I'm reasonably confident that Yuniko getting pulled away did more to change the script/dialogue then the overall plot.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Space Flower posted:

2channel is filled with bitter people who make hate threads for everything...
2chan is the place where everyone loves boats and yuri and memes.

Now I'm even more befuddled on why their results are so different from ours! :v:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

FractalSandwich posted:

First place: Haruchika. Runners up: Erased, Sound! Euphonium 2, Joker Game and Flip Flappers, in about that order. I realise that ranking Haruchika above Sound! is edgy as all hell. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

That's almost everything I even watched. Only Tanaka-kun is Always Listless and Snow White With the Red Hair get left out, and they're both good too. Obviously the main reason they don't make the cut is because their names are too long. Good thing I watched Erased and Haruchika instead of Boku dake ga Inai Machi and Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru.

Hi there. I'm the guy who paid :10bux: for a Haruchika avatar.

I thought it was pretty alright (out of 10, I might give it a 7-7.5), but I'd really like to hear more about what makes it AotY for you. Not arguing about its ranking vs. Eupho2 (I didn't even watch Eupho2), but I feel like I may have missed something that would make me appreciate the show more.

Then again, I really didn't like Joker Game, either, so maybe it's just a matter of conflicting tastes.

I'd also be interested in what you think of Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru, since it's got a similar sort of feel to Haruchika, and I think it was probably better executed. It's more of a straight comedy, rather than injecting heavy subjects like cult indoctrinations, but I'd still be interested in your opinion.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 2, 2017

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I believe I also heard him say that Oshiyama and Yuniko developed the concept together. Given how heavily the early episodes foreshadow the later twists and themes, I'm reasonably confident that Yuniko getting pulled away did more to change the script/dialogue then the overall plot.

Yeah from what I can tell the overall plot was worked out well before she left, so most of the same plot points probably still would have been broadly hit, just presented in a way that felt more like the first few episodes. Not that we'll ever know, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, I could have imagined a kind of shift in tone/pacing anyway, just one that wasn't quite so noticeable.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Honestly, I could have imagined a kind of shift in tone/pacing anyway, just one that wasn't quite so noticeable.

Yeah, my gut feeling is that Yuniko would have given us basically the same story but been a little less wordy/ham-handed in the script. The show was dropping enough hints with regards to the later twists and how they related to Cocona's overall arc that it was probably always going to get a bit more traditional on the back end. It's difficult for me to rewatch the earlier episodes and find a path to things like Yayaka's arc or Salt and Mimi's backstory or "dai-dai-daisuki!" being the culmination of the whole show turning out all that differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

1. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

2. Sound! Euphonium 2

3. Osomatsu-san

4. Yuri!!! On Ice

5. Food Wars S2

• Locked thread