Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

WELCOME TO EVO 2017.

:siren: MAIN STAGE: EVO World Championship Final: Ashy Larry Vs. Soul of Cinder

You know what the gently caress this is.

These are the rules of 3rd Strike:

1. Fist weapons only.
2. MADCATZ TOURNAMENT EDITION 2™ Fightstick controller.
3. Galactus is banned.

SPOILER POLICY: Talk about anything except the DLC. Ashes of Ariandel has been dropped from Evo so we can fit in another 5 versions of Smash, thank you for understanding.

Round 1 – Ashy Larry Vs. Iudex Gundyr
Round 2 - Ashy Larry Vs. Vordt of the Boreal Valley
Round 3 - Ashy Larry Vs. Curse-Rotted Greatwood
Round 4 - Ashy Larry Vs. Crystal Sage (Feat. NGDBSS)
Round 5 - Ashy Larry Vs. Deacons of the Deep (Feat. PSWII60)
Round 6 - Ashy Larry Vs. Abyss Walkers (Feat. Wayne)
Ashy Larry: The Making of a Champion
Round 8 - Ashy Larry Vs. Yhorm the Giant
Round 9 - Ashy Larry Vs. Pontiff Sulyvahn
Round 10: Ashy Larry Vs. Aldritch, Devourer of Gods (Feat. PSWII60)
Round 11: Ashy Larry Vs. Dancer of the Boreal Valley
Round 12: Ashy Larry Vs. Dragonslayer Armor
Round 13: Ashy Larry Vs. Twin Princes (Feat. Wayne)
Round 14: Ashy Larry Vs. Consumed King
Round 15: Ashy Larry Vs. Champion Gundyr
EVO World Championship Final: Ashy Larry Vs. Soul of Cinder

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Just gotta say that I love seeing empty-handed parries in Dark Souls and I hope to see many more more to come.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Looking forward to seeing death, dismemberment and disemboweling from Ashy!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am struggling to decide what part of this LP is going to be the most incredible.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo

yes

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
When I saw this in the other thread I was kinda blown away. I can't play this game with a real controller, and you fought a boss unarmed basically with one stick and two buttons.. How.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
Putting all the causal players on controllers and keyboards to shame, this LP is really intense.

hype it up.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Really looking forward to some sick nasty combos. Those reads from the first match were godlike. Are you going to EVO?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was slightly disappointed when I realized you were doing post commentary. :\ Still real good stuff. Godspeed OP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

TheDarkFlame posted:

When I saw this in the other thread I was kinda blown away. I can't play this game with a real controller, and you fought a boss unarmed basically with one stick and two buttons.. How.
So, since I have an arcade stick I decided to actually try it. It's harder than with a pad for sure and takes some getting used to. The biggest hurdle is not being able to control the camera. I use the right stick to fiddle with the camera way more than I thought. Since arcade sticks are digital that is a minor problem too. But you just tap that thing, really. Aside from that it's not toooo bad once you adjust to that. But there are some boss fights that I can only imagine will be really tough. I'll be sticking to my trusty old DS4 for now.

Genocyber posted:

I was slightly disappointed when I realized you were doing post commentary. :\ Still real good stuff. Godspeed OP.
Live commentary is for casuals and people who like hearing the constant clacking of arcade sticks (Seriously, have you ever used one? For that reason alone I'm glad it's post commentary)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Live commentary is for casuals and people who like hearing the constant clacking of arcade sticks (Seriously, have you ever used one? For that reason alone I'm glad it's post commentary)

Clacking is like aural ambrosia to me, friend.

(I don't play fighting games and have never used a fight stick as a result. My comment was meant semi-facetiously, I would not envy the person who tries this kind of challenge while also giving live commentary.)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

cant wait for rb|ashy larry vs rkappa|gwyn

Genuinely though, the camera in this game was difficult enough when I was in full control. Godspeed, don't drown in pools.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So sad they took out powerstanced boxers

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
This is sweet, but you could have shown a bit more of the fight and talked about it or whatever before starting to fast forward imo.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
UPDATE
:siren: Round 2: Ashy Larry Vs. Vordt of the Boreal Valley :siren:

Still working on a legit kill. I regret my decisions.

Syncopated posted:

This is sweet, but you could have shown a bit more of the fight and talked about it or whatever before starting to fast forward imo.

This'll change a bit in the future, but If nothing else this is a disinformative Let's Play.

SnakesandScorpions posted:

Are you going to EVO?

I AM EVO NOW

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What's wrong with jumping? Can't bind to clicking a stick or something?

edit: VVVV yeah I was gonna say, can't you swap it back to the other mode for a bit, if nothing else?

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 2, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can sprint, does DS3 not allow you to change the way you jump back to double tapping sprint like in DS1?

This LP is great so far, good job.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

There's the 'loser's bracket' joke I was waiting for with Gundyr.

I do wish you didn't have to go through 2 bosses before you can get the caestus. I hate having to wait so long to really get my punchy runs started. Also, how long did it actually take for you to beat gundyr?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Demicol posted:

You can sprint, does DS3 not allow you to change the way you jump back to double tapping sprint like in DS1

No double taps, but I think I figured out a way to do it. I'll have to show it off later.

Garrand posted:

Also, how long did it actually take for you to beat gundyr?

I think somewhere around 4-5 minutes. Getting Vordt to 3/4th health has taken about 10. :negative:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In order to solo vordt, why not take the claws from Consumed King's Garden. All you need to do is solo Dancer; no big deal right? :suicide:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Party Bug posted:

No double taps, but I think I figured out a way to do it. I'll have to show it off later.
Not sure if you're trying to say that double taps are somehow not possible on an arcade stick, but you absolutely can set the jump to work like in Dark Souls 1 (sprint, release sprint, tap again). You just need to set it to do that in the options. Because that's how I've been jumping in every single Souls game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Did they ever patch the cheese/glitch for the dancer?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Deformed Church posted:

Did they ever patch the cheese/glitch for the dancer?

If you're referring to the Master glitch yes, they patched that out a while ago.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPlhsCtzB8

http://i.imgur.com/hLT5Vlq.mp4

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 4, 2017

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Haven't watched the most recent one yet, but are ya gonna moneymatch the two Soul Calibur nerds that is Sword Master and That glowing eyed dude near the entrance to the dancer? :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 5, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I wasn't sure what was happening when I read the description so I watched a video.

This is amazingly awesome.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
:siren: UPDATE :siren:
Round 3 - Ashy Larry Vs. Curse-Rotted Greatwood

In this episode Ashy Larry meets his true love.

Nalesh posted:

Haven't watched the most recent one yet, but are ya gonna moneymatch the two Soul Calibur nerds that is Sword Master and That glowing eyed dude near the entrance to the dancer? :v:

no fraud is safe

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Kess-tuss

Are you going to get other fist weapons as well like the demon fist and duel wield for true punchiness?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's still possible to enter the Curse-rotted Greatwood's arena by dropping down into it, as the game will explicitly prevent you from taking falling damage.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
The plan is to use the Demon Fist for parrying, I'm not sure it's an actually viable weapon (if it's anything like the Ceastus it isn't).

NGDBSS posted:

It's still possible to enter the Curse-rotted Greatwood's arena by dropping down into it, as the game will explicitly prevent you from taking falling damage.

Huh! I've never tried that, I guess that makes sense.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Party Bug posted:

The plan is to use the Demon Fist for parrying, I'm not sure it's an actually viable weapon (if it's anything like the Ceastus it isn't).

It scales on int and faith so probably not great for this run. If you infuse the caestus with a heavy gem it gets an A in strength scaling so that might cut down the boss fights by one or two hits.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
UPDATE
Round 4 - Ashy Larry Vs. Crystal Sage (Feat. NGDBSS)

I'm also moving next week so probably no updates for a little bit.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 17, 2017

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hi, I'm the person you were talking about who doesn't really like Dark Souls 3! It just sprays bits of 1 at you at basically fanservice level, and doesn't really have it's own identity. What's more, it doesn't offer DS2 anything at all, bar a couple of vague item mentions and a few scattered giants, which just makes the callbacks feel even more hollow, yet it still somehow manages to screw up a lot of the more interesting ideas about DS2. And you say it has combat more like Bloodborne, but I found it was mostly the enemies who had it like that game, whereas I was still just playing as a slow-rear end Dark Souls character.

note: all my opinions are bad and wrong because DS2 is my favourite and also I played DS3 at sub-30 fps too, so my whole Dark Souls Experience is really bad.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DS2 is the best Dark Souls, because it had the best punching.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Deformed Church posted:

Hi, I'm the person you were talking about who doesn't really like Dark Souls 3! It just sprays bits of 1 at you at basically fanservice level, and doesn't really have it's own identity. What's more, it doesn't offer DS2 anything at all, bar a couple of vague item mentions and a few scattered giants, which just makes the callbacks feel even more hollow, yet it still somehow manages to screw up a lot of the more interesting ideas about DS2. And you say it has combat more like Bloodborne, but I found it was mostly the enemies who had it like that game, whereas I was still just playing as a slow-rear end Dark Souls character.

note: all my opinions are bad and wrong because DS2 is my favourite and also I played DS3 at sub-30 fps too, so my whole Dark Souls Experience is really bad.

I agree with everything you said, but I still prefer the gameplay of 3. I went back to scholar and it felt rough. Just like when I tried to go back to DS1 from DS2. I do wish they'd brought more quality of life stuff back though.

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 is the best Dark Souls, because it had the best punching.

Hard to argue with this. How could they not bring back the bonefist and vanquisher's seal?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Deformed Church and Tallgeese know what's up. I hated DS2 when it came out, but powerstancing was an amazing addition. Being able to give someone the ol' one-two was great. Sure, Ashy Larry has a good over hand right, but he has no jab. What does the power attack with the sesstuss look like?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Dark Souls II does indeed have the best Punching. I hope the Dragon Bone Fist will be back because I like Dark Souls IIIs feel more than IIs and I really want to use it in this game..
For all its faults Dark Souls II probably had some of the most fun weapons.

Re: Jank Souls - I've heard Demon's Souls being called a cheap Dark Souls knock-off by people who started with Dark Souls. But looking at some of the so-called Souls-likes that have been released it's actually a pretty good Dark Souls knock-off. I can definitely see why people would think that when going back to DeS, though.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
DS2 rules gently caress the haters.

Not Scholar though, gently caress that game

ilmucche posted:

What does the power attack with the sesstuss look like?
Uppercut. I might use it someday, but I prefer to mash one button to rule them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I stumbled across this thread today while wearing this shirt. Obviously I had to watch all of it and it's pretty good so far. Keep up the good work!

• Locked thread