Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What year was Shrek 3 released?

2007, which was also the year Bee Movie came out. Though the year made up for it with Ratatouille and Persepolis.

Surf's Up was 2007 as well, which reminds me that Surf's Up 2: WaveMania is supposed to get a direct-to-video release on January 17. If you like penguins, surfing, and wrestling, you might get some entertainment out of it.

Schwarzwald posted:

This thread's title is cool, and good, and I will graciously overlook the missing comma.

There was no comma in the original quote either, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think Shrek 3 was one of the most pointless movies I have ever watch in my entire life. Like more so than trash straight to video sequels that no one likes. There wasn't a single thing that happened in Shrek 3 that couldn't have been fit into a 5 minute montage at the beginning of Shrek 4, which I thought was a pretty alright movie.

Like Shrek 3 isn't even really worth saying it's bad, it's just... COMPLETELY unnecessary.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Perfect double feature: Hot Fuzz and Zootopia

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Hot Fuzzy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The original Surf's Up is pretty good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Don't forget that the co-producer of Shrek tried to double down on the fairytale pastiche in 2007 with this stinker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkHirP4ztA

2007 also gave us that weird Beowulf film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaShOr5AeKA

It was also the year we got The Simpsons Movie and TMNT which were decent attempts but ultimately forgettable plus Meet the Robinsons which was actually pretty good. It was an odd year for animation.

Edit: whoa, apparently this got a theatrical release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daUYb6bN_aU

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 28, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alhazred posted:

It had me thinking "'Sing For the Moment' is really not a appropriate song for this trailer. Especially when it uses the line "They say music can alter moods and talk to you" but cuts the next line which is 'Well can it load a gun up for you and cock it too?'"

Let's talk about Shut Up and Drive being used for daughter / surrogate father figure bonding in Wreck-It Ralph. :v:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Egbert Souse posted:

Alternatively: Kindergarten Cop 2

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/sorry-women-wont-directing-major-u-s-animation-releases-2017-147053.html
:(

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS BUT ANIMATED set a record, at the time, as one of the biggest box office bombs ever. Since then there have been many bigger bombs, but it's still worth mentioning.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Are you sure you're not thinking of a different film? Prince of Egypt was a respectable success upon release and held the title for highest-grossing non-Disney animated film until Chicken Run came along.

For some extra fun, look at the list of 60 features that will be released in 2017 and count how many of them have more than one female character in a major role.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

Hot Fuzz and Hot Fuzz

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This was broadcast on UK TV today and made the nation sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXDlEw5u8u8

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bunyan and Babe looks particularly woeful. I found a teaser and it doesn't look any better:
https://vimeo.com/160872860

This movie doesn't deserve John Goodman. It does deserve its looped "NatureSounds2.wav" though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Don't forget that the co-producer of Shrek tried to double down on the fairytale pastiche in 2007 with this stinker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkHirP4ztA

I watched that on F2A TV once because I was bored and had nothing to do. It's an even more difficult slog than Shrek 3 which is certainly saying something. I was thinking of trying to sit through the second one on Netflix or something but the animation makes me want to puke.

edit: At least Hoodwinked 1 was a fun movie despite how awful the animation was, Happily N'ever After doesn't even have that going for it.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So apparently Michel Gagne has been signed on to do the special effects animation for The My Little Pony Movie. He's the main special effects animator from The Iron Giant, as well as Osmosis Jones and several other high profile projects. (And also Battleborn.)

http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Whatsnew/archive/2016/08_Aug/01.html

http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Whatsnew/archive/2016/12_Dec/04.html

So that's an interesting pedigree to bring on board. To bring things full circle as well, Lauren Faust also worked on The Iron Giant as a character animator.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My prediction for MLP is massive internet backlash. Not because it's bad, but because MLP fans are the worst.

Every minor criticism (valid or not) of the movie will be met by towering anger by the fans. They'll take it personally. Every discussion will be derailed until hatred of the fandom is inseparable from hatred of the movie itself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Are bronies even still a thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haven't there been like 2-3 MLP movies already? I don't know much I just remember seeing ads for one where they are all bizarrely colored Doug humans.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Are bronies even still a thing?

why would they have stopped being a thing?

I don't think people were jerking off to the cartoon child horses because it was cool and trendy, but I could just be out of touch

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No, people have moved onto 8-bit goatpeople, get with the times

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Haven't there been like 2-3 MLP movies already? I don't know much I just remember seeing ads for one where they are all bizarrely colored Doug humans.

Yeah, but those were direct to TV/video, not theatrical.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Isnt the mlp reboot like a decade old now? The girls who grew up with it are on facebook now

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magnus Condomus posted:

So apparently Michel Gagne has been signed on to do the special effects animation for The My Little Pony Movie. He's the main special effects animator from The Iron Giant, as well as Osmosis Jones and several other high profile projects. (And also Battleborn.)

Michael Gagné's great (check out his short film Prelude to Eden if you haven't already), and it's nice to see him getting more work. Between him and Emily Blunt, I'll probably end up watching the film after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

got any sevens posted:

Isnt the mlp reboot like a decade old now? The girls who grew up with it are on facebook now

It's 6 years old.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just finished Trollhunters. It's over all a very enjoyable family friendly Del Toro show with some good characters, really good animation for TV CGI, and strong voice acting. There are some weakpoints, such as the predictability and the main female character being essentially sidelined to romantic interest and damsel for about 3/4ths of the show, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Oh who am I kidding, I'll watch Zootopia again instead.

:same:

I've seen Zootopia more times this year than I've seen other movies once. Missed out on Kubo though and a bit jaded on Pixar sequels though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Everyone should strive to watch Zootopia more. Try to even fit viewings of Zootopia inside your viewings of Zootopia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zootopia only every time there is an animal joke it's Zootopia again.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Zootopia but the dialog is replaced with animal noises

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What would Nick say though?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Everyone should strive to watch Zootopia more. Try to even fit viewings of Zootopia inside your viewings of Zootopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-YQrbn-JQ

You can watch that in between viewings of Zootopia.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What would Nick say though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIR8RtI9kaw

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ConfusedUs posted:

My prediction for MLP is massive internet backlash. Not because it's bad, but because MLP fans are the worst.

Like everything else marginally controversial on the internet these days, it'll be backlash meets counter-backlash meets counter-counter-backlash until the only safe thing to do is have no opinion at all.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

as toyetic as it's possible to be

I had a chance to pop into a genuine Disney store in North Park Mall in Dallas, just before Christmas. Zero Zootopia stuff. Zero. I truly do not understand.

By the way, the MLP movie is going to be garbage and the only bronies that will say it's good will be kindred spirits of the kinds of people that still diligently watch the Simpsons.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 30, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Kubo was dope. Very Zack Snyder-y, collage-like take on pretty much the same themes as a lot of films from this year, particularly Sausage Party, although obviously much more successful. Overall, I'd say it's the best animated feature I've seen in a slow year - but it's no bad shakes at all. Few films this year can attest to portraying an authentic sexual tension between a black beetle and a snow monkey.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

K. Waste posted:

Few films this year can attest to portraying an authentic sexual tension between a black beetle and a snow monkey.

"And racism is also a problem, so be like Kung Fu Panda -- be white, black, asian -- and cut the balls!"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"And racism is also a problem, so be like Kung Fu Panda -- be white, black, asian -- and cut the balls!"

It's funny, because Kung Fu Panda could easily take place in the same exact diegesis as Zootopia.

Kubo, on the other hand, is more like James and the Giant Peach meets Hercules. The bottom-line is that the film is aggressively sarcastic - it is constantly making reference to its own diminutiveness against 'blind' forces, but as a misdirection from what really is its protagonists' emphatic reinvestment in a reactionary, conservative order. The film makes explicit reference to Peter Pan and the motif of the audience participating in reviving Tinkerbell. But there's also this subversive obsession with the gaze, with spiritual and social rituals conformed to a 'benign myth' but ultimately performed for an audience who needs must exist to legitimize this. Culture and race constructs enter into this as well - effectively, the father and the mother are both killed are replaced by ethnically neutral, demigod entities; and Kubo's grandfather looks like Peter Cushing. The story basically becomes about Kubo rescuing the memory of his family from this 'degeneration.'

It's a darker, more egocentric version of exactly what happens in The Tale of the Princess Kaguya.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

No, people have moved onto 8-bit goatpeople, get with the times

Also magical rock ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Like everything else marginally controversial on the internet these days, it'll be backlash meets counter-backlash meets counter-counter-backlash until the only safe thing to do is have no opinion at all.

Oh please, today's controversies are so low-effort. Remember when protesters used to stand outside of theatres because they found a particular film offensive? Those were the good old days.