Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Das Boo posted:

We all gotta draw the line somewhere. Sometimes it's Disney sequels, sometimes it's fetishy counterfeit Flash games. Sometimes it's... more dire.

Zootopia Dentist Game for iPhone by Xiaozheng Games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neeksy posted:

Zootopia Dentist Game for iPhone by Xiaozheng Games?

I'm sure Zoo's a fright, but I was moreso reminiscing on steering my five year-old niece through a minefield of Frozen games the other year. Sooooo many pregnant Elsa feet... :barf:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Don't Tell Mom was awesome.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I don't know that those weird Flash games really moved en masse to Zootopia (or probably Moana now). Frozen still being Disney's most prominent work, merchandising-wise, despite three films having come out since then, they're probably safe to make Elsa's Pregnant Podiatry, Dental and Brain Surgery until this changes.

Honestly, I wish they'd stop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, I wish they'd stop.

Just like badly animated CGI cartoon nursery rhyme youtube videos with terrible accents, they'll not only never stop but you've barely seen the tip of the iceberg yet.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, of course they're not going to, but that doesn't mean I can't wish that they would...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

90% of my love for Simba's Pride is due to Cam Clarke's singing voice for Simba. I used to watch "We Are One" over and over just for that.

Simba's Pride wins a small cigar just for wrangling a decent performance out of Andy Dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Simba's Pride wins a small cigar just for wrangling a decent performance out of Andy Dick.

Andy Dick can pull some genuinely good performances. He is just an odious human being.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Pixeltendo posted:

Did anyone ever see those 2 Tarzan DTV movies?

I think I saw the first one back when it was new. It was based on on the TV spinoff that I completely forgot about till right now (Remember how much Disney pushed Tarzan as a franchise? All that's left is the Treehouse in Disneyland, and I wouldn't be too surprised if they rethemed it after The Jungle Book once the sequel comes around). I'm pretty sure it was just a clip show that ended with Tarzan and Jane getting married or something. Don't think I liked it even back then, and you'd have to pay me to watch it now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The one with George Carlin is not too bad. That's young Tarzan.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
DANCE PARTY

DAAAAANCE PARTY

(The AV Club wrote an article about how annoying animation ending dance parties are.)

http://www.avclub.com/article/why-are-animated-dance-party-endings-so-goddamn-an-247143

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the deal with talespin anyway, why did they decide to repurpose jungle book characters for that show, that always seemed like a weird thing to do

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corek posted:

DANCE PARTY

DAAAAANCE PARTY

(The AV Club wrote an article about how annoying animation ending dance parties are.)

http://www.avclub.com/article/why-are-animated-dance-party-endings-so-goddamn-an-247143

The only good dance party ending is that one episode of The Simpsons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have argued that Trolls is superior to Moana in some ways, including thematic coherency :colbert:. Moana is still the better film, obviously.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm disappointed the 2016 animation thread didn't end in a dance party :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The only good dance party ending is that one episode of The Simpsons.

What, the one about the film adaptation of macbeth?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the deal with talespin anyway, why did they decide to repurpose jungle book characters for that show, that always seemed like a weird thing to do

A TV series following the Disney Jungle Book characters would be kind of dull and a cartoon series about air deliveries would be kind of dull, but you combine the two and you've got magic

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I have argued that Trolls is superior to Moana in some ways, including thematic coherency :colbert:. Moana is still the better film, obviously.

I would like to hear those arguments, I'm quite fond of Trolls and like hearing good things about it (also, I missed most of the original Trolls chat. I was avoiding this thread because I didn't want spoilers and I couldn't see it right away. By the time I finally got around to watching it people had moved on.)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What, the one about the film adaptation of macbeth?

Is it also set to Two Tickets to Paradise?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is it also set to Two Tickets to Paradise?

No, and also, I said macbeth and meant hamlet sorry

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
More than anything, I think that Trolls really sold a unique visual style and its core theme is simple but told well, without any notable gaps in logic.

The scrapbook/felt look is incredibly appealing and fun, and there's no other film that looks like it. Moana has shots that look real, but I don't really care about CGI looking real any more.

Trolls doesn't try to convince you that "consumption" can't make you happy; it tells you that there are less destructive ways to be happy that are available to everyone. In my mind, this is a clear message and an empowering one. It could have had a it more nuance where the grumpy character was concerned, but his rationale was solid even if he did need to move on. There's very little "But wait, couldn't the eagles just drop the ring into the volcano?" kind of nitpicking to be done either, though I love nitpicking!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Okay then.

poo poo, now I need a production of Hamlet that ends with the cast dancing to Two Tickets to Paradise.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtP_faKziU

Cause if it isn't, then there's two out there. And that isn't good for this thread's thesis.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Did anyone else think they were going to tie up the main plot to Trolls by having the Bergens discover that depressed trolls taste awful or was that just my dumb brain?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

I'm disappointed the 2016 animation thread didn't end in a dance party :smith:

At least nobody died.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Okay then.

poo poo, now I need a production of Hamlet that ends with the cast dancing to Two Tickets to Paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_WTvGeXOk

poo poo quality but that's what I was talking about

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did anyone else think they were going to tie up the main plot to Trolls by having the Bergens discover that depressed trolls taste awful or was that just my dumb brain?

I think that would have worked, but ultimately that's cheaper than "Yes, you CAN totally become happy by eating trolls, but there are better ways."

The eating trolls bit was this incredibly morbid undercurrent and I loved it. There's never any question that eating trolls makes you feel amazing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtP_faKziU

Cause if it isn't, then there's two out there. And that isn't good for this thread's thesis.

Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

I can't believe I forgot the song used at the end. Looks like I better get two tickets to stupid town.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I still remain absolutely shocked by how enjoyable Trolls turned out to be.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drifter posted:

At least nobody died.

An animator for Bambi died on the 31st. He was 106 years old.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

I still remain absolutely shocked by how enjoyable Trolls turned out to be.

I watched Trolls, Sausage Party, and Kubo in one weekend. The tonal/thematic whiplash was intense, but I was truly flabbergasted that Trolls seemed to come out of it on top. Probably due to lowered expectations and favourably comparing to Sausage Party, but still...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Trolls was a lot better then I thought it would be.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

I think that would have worked, but ultimately that's cheaper than "Yes, you CAN totally become happy by eating trolls, but there are better ways."

The eating trolls bit was this incredibly morbid undercurrent and I loved it. There's never any question that eating trolls makes you feel amazing.

Yay, you have your big cats avatar back! Now I'll be able to recognize you again! :3:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pick posted:

More than anything, I think that Trolls really sold a unique visual style and its core theme is simple but told well, without any notable gaps in logic.

The scrapbook/felt look is incredibly appealing and fun, and there's no other film that looks like it. Moana has shots that look real, but I don't really care about CGI looking real any more.

Trolls doesn't try to convince you that "consumption" can't make you happy; it tells you that there are less destructive ways to be happy that are available to everyone. In my mind, this is a clear message and an empowering one. It could have had a it more nuance where the grumpy character was concerned, but his rationale was solid even if he did need to move on. There's very little "But wait, couldn't the eagles just drop the ring into the volcano?" kind of nitpicking to be done either, though I love nitpicking!

Why didn't the Trolls escape from the Bergen village before? The eating of the Trolls is presented as some sort of yearly tradition, meaning that it has been going on for quite a period of time. It doesn't look like the Troll tree is guarded in any meaningful way.

This comes up later too. A handful of Trolls are kept in a traditional wooden birdcage. Barring the fat Troll they could all slip through the cage because the spaces in between the bars are big enough. The twins would require some coordination with their hairdo, but yeah, only the fat Troll is screwed. He's voiced by James Corden so who gives a poo poo about him :v:

The only explanation is that they suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. "We need to stay here to make these Bergen happy once a year by letting our people be eaten. It would be cruel to leave!"

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 4, 2017

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
It was their ancestral home, and under constant guard. I was under the assumption that the caves they escaped through were an ongoing project, designed not only to release them far outside the bounds of the city but also to foil any short-term attempt the Bergens might make to follow.

As for leaving the bird cage... Maybe it's because the fat one couldn't leave. These trolls were all raised on the message of "no troll left behind," it's doubtful they would abandon one of their friends to be eaten for as long as they had a choice. Also they were probably afraid of hastening their demise by being caught trying to escape.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Detective No. 27 posted:

An animator for Bambi died on the 31st. He was 106 years old.

Production designer. It was Tyrus Wong :smith:

His work on Bambi is goddamn gorgeous.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Corek posted:

DANCE PARTY

DAAAAANCE PARTY

It does kind of annoy me that Zootopia has a dance party ending, though it also surprises me that I'm only kind of annoyed by it compared to some more blatant dance party endings. Probably because the film already has a proper ending (the sort of "And the Adventure Continues..." you got with them catching the street racer) and it just cuts to said dance party for the credits sequence as an "oh, also, this happens, we guess, we dunno, it doesn't really impact the plot much does it"? It's hard to encapsulate.

I suppose that's something both Kubo and Moana have up on Zootopia - no dance party endings to speak of. (Not that either would've lent themselves much to one.)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I would have been up for a "shiny" reprise, personally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The cages were more a visual conceit, obviously the trolls could be held captive easily, as shown later when they are in the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Corek posted:

DANCE PARTY

DAAAAANCE PARTY

The article says "it has roots as diverse as old-timey movie musicals and beach blanket movies of the ’60s" but there's at least one example from the 40s. A hosed up racist example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdfUIaAJy48

It was also something of a fad in the late 80s. Saturday Night Live used to end a bunch of their sketches with a Lambada dance party when they couldn't think of any other way to end them and movies like Caddyshack also ended with dance parties, which is pretty much what that Simpsons episode was referencing since Rodney Dangerfield was in both.