Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bunyan and Babe looks particularly woeful. I found a teaser and it doesn't look any better:
https://vimeo.com/160872860

This movie doesn't deserve John Goodman. It does deserve its looped "NatureSounds2.wav" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.

But Lightning has always been very racist...

...:v:

...:suicide:

I'll see myself out.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
"We need a new Belle doll for the BatB remake, but it needs to be distinct from all previous Belle dolls."

"I have a terrible idea..."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I think this new trailer helped me figure out why I have felt so apathetic towards the new BatB. It feels really, really humorless. Like I don't want a trailer filled with annoying punch up, but the whole vibe they're sending out is just too dramatic. The new trailer has I believe two "jokes", but they both fall completely flat in the edit because they're just enveloped by sappy, romantic music. I'd say they should have built a trailer around "Be Our Guest" but maybe there's a reason they're being slow on the song reveals, especially after Ewan's unfortunately terrible accent.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I saw the Frozen live show at Disneyland Resort yesterday. The mother character was played by a black actress and Anna was either black or half-black. The show itself was pretty dire* apart from all the fancy tech toys they were showing off, but it was really refreshing to get to see a major character given that level of color-blindness. Hopefully this crosses over into animation and we get more projects with diverse casts that aren't reliant on being about a specific culture. (Not that Disney is doing a bad job with those or anything)

*I was likely not the target audience, as 75% of the adult women in the audience cheered enthusiastically when "Let It Go" started.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

mycot posted:

I think the idea is that someone who rolls their eyes at the starting notes of Let It Go really shouldn't have been watching a Frozen play.

To be clear, I was perfectly fine with Frozen the film and wanted this to be as good as their Aladdin stage show. But aside from a fancy projector system for a few cool effects the show itself seemed really thrown together and felt really clumsy in terms of stage direction (I'm not an expert, sure, but it's what I observed). Lines that worked in the movie were brought over word for word for the show and did not work nearly as well due to the lack of a camera to edit and cut and move. But the audience made it clear there was a rabid fan base for all things Frozen regardless of quality. If they genuinely enjoyed it, good for them, but taking Frozen to Broadway I hope there's more polish brought to everything.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Assuming they don't just skip to the last page to see what people are saying about the animated film du jour.

...like I did back when Zootopia was in theaters

Well then we will put it at the top of every new page. It reminds us of our sins.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Illumination: "Our budgets don't allow for inspiration."

I recently found out I'm going to be a dad. One of my first thoughts was "drat, A Goofy Movie is going to absolutely destroy me from now on, isn't it?"

(And yes, I have invoked the name of this thread's Patron Film. Let the cycle begin again.)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I think I'll get goofy tonight when I get home from work. Extremely goofy.

...movie.

Or you could do Great Mouse Detective, which has sexual tension between two male leads, just offscreen cat-on-mouse vore, a mouse burlesque show with family friendly levels of stripping, and a fembot, in case you were looking to fill out a "Animators have weird fetishes" bingo card.

...and to keep on track and away from probation, it's also a kickass Sherlock Holmes movie with good pacing and great action scenes. It also keeps in the time-honored Holmes tradition of the "Who's Toby?" scene.

Edit: Just going to edit to say the sexual tension really isn't a "weird fetish" I know, but in a 1980s family cartoon it's definitely eyebrow raising.

dirksteadfast fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 23, 2017

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Barudak posted:

Depends on what school you go to, how big greek life is, and what frats are there. Social fraternities or sororities can be either horrible or fantastic but theyre all very pricey. Business or academic ones are cheaper and rarely have any pressure or hazing.

My frat was great and I got elected keeper of secrets so I know our secret rituals and signs as well as got to keep our reliquary. Frats are weird.

I used to think movie frats were super hyperbolic in how they were represented, but that's probably because my college was a commuter school so no one lived on campus so the Greek life scene had nowhere to really plant itself.

But yeah, Hedrigall, American college life is relatively accurate in its movie portrayals. Mostly because all high school media is either wish fulfillment or pandering to younger audiences but the college media is mostly recollections and slight exaggerations of actual experiences in college since the writers were probably less awkward then and less ashamed of their time there.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who else associates The Land Before Time with Pizza Hut birthday parties?

Constantly. I was upset it wasn't a special feature on the DVD. And according to my parents my brother and I ran that VHS tape until it died, two to three times a day everyday.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

https://youtu.be/1JG6f5_37tg

Clip of the song "Gaston" from Beast '17

It's.... not very rousing.

This both works and doesn't work for me. I have to see the rest of the movie to really get a feel for what they're going for with Gaston. I like reinterpreting him as a pompous prettyboy that LeFou has a severe man crush on. But without him being the man's man all the other men look up to it begs the question how he's able to rally the whole village to storm the Beast's castle.

Hopefully it's done in a way that makes sense, so I will reserve judgment.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I like how LXG was bad enough to get Sean Connery to retire from acting. This though? Perfectly acceptable.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I think David Tennant's voice is too young and light for Scrooge McDuck. They should have got Peter Capaldi.

Also, the animation looks really.. pale. Where's the dark richness Disney animation used to have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

Eh, I think Tennant's voice is just distracting simply because it isn't Alan Young. Anyone would have been jarring after growing up with that voice.

i saw a comment somewhere that the tone seems to be similar to Gravity Falls and...yeah. It basically looks like they merged Ducktales and Gravity Falls together. It's not a bad way of updating the show, but it's most certainly the most obvious route. At least they're keeping the aspect that Scrooge is a badass adventurer.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Saw Angry Birds and the first half hour or so of Moana this weekend (little sister got ill and couldn't make it through the rest so we had to leave).

Angry Birds is a surprisingly well-animated film. Like, there is a lot of good cartoony animation in it. More than a property like Angry Birds really deserves. But man, that piss joke. I can forgive that the whole anti-immigration subtext was probably never even considered and they just needed some way to set up the conflict while having Red be a hero with a redemption arc. But that piss joke was inexcusable.

Means seems nice enough but what I've seen of it wasn't mind-blowing. I get the feeling from what I've seen that Moana herself is a great character that doesn't so much have an arc as she does a quest.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My favorite character from the original BatB is the lady who needs six eggs.

She needs those eggs, goddamnit.

Looks like Capcom continues their proud tradition of funding all their terrible games by repackaging their best games.

Edit: And what a way to kick off a new page.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Larryb posted:

As I recall the beginning of it was but then after the line "You won't get a sniff without me!" it switches over to Jim Cummings (I think Irons blew out his voice or something during the song and couldn't finish it).

Jim Cummings also did the singing for Christopher Lloyd in Anastasia. He also voiced your childhood if you were born in the mid-late eighties or early nineties (or arguably beyond).

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Four days in and BatB is already the biggest (domestic) film of 2017 so far with a cool $188 million. Logan is beating it in worldwide box office but that probably won't last long ...

"But how will BatB succeed in the Chinese market when they don't travel to Hong Kong? Shouldn't Gaston contact the Chinese government about a coalition against the Beast."

-Some executive

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2SrqLum1M

Captain Underpants Trailer aka ADULT VOICED KIDS

But drat I think this really looks great, read the books as a kid but have a vague reccolection of them, like didn't he have actual super powers? Looks charming anyway

Having never read the books, this looks like a long episode of Gumball (which sounds like fun). Probably won't see it in theaters.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So for a while Egoraptor has been doing this weekly thing called Cutie Saturday, where you draw a cute girl, post it on twitter with #CutieSaturday, and he goes through and retweets a ton of them. It's a cool thing he's been doing for months now and it legit brings attention to a lot of artists. Well Ross from Game Grumps has started a monthly thing that's similar to that called Animonthly, where at the end of the month people post some animation of theirs with #Animonthly in the post and Ross retweets a bunch of them. Some of the stuff I've seen get retweeted is REALLY good. So much awesome talent out there

Say what you want about Game Grumps the show, but Ross and Arin have worked their asses off to try and promote independent animators and are probably keeping the idea of traditional animation relevant to a new generation.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I needed my beaver fix! SPOOT!

Thank goodness Stump was there to record those episodes then.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So Boss Baby was number one at the box office this weekend, huh? Dreamworks sure is great at making posters with movies attached to them.

(I'm being too harsh, animators work hard and I'm sure there's some merit there)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Just got around to watching The Little Prince on Netflix.

I'll admit to having never read the book, but I'm sort of glad if I ever do it'll be after seeing that. It was like someone tried to adapt the book into a movie, it didn't work well as a narrative so they added a framing device that originally had nothing to do with The Little Prince and they decided to shoehorn it in, and then somehow someone's fanfic got shoved into the climax.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

But it's the troll being beaten, that's gotta count for therapeutic purposes.

As for dream cels, I guess "Smile everyone" from Great Mouse Detective would be cool, but that's just an on the spot answer, I'm sure I have better ones.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Calling it right now, Frozen 2 will be about Elsa finding out she's not actually Anna's sister. The movie will be about her finding her true parents, and in the end she will learn the lesson that Anna is her true family because of love. And then we all vomit and Disney makes all the money.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I like to believe that Tolkien's hard stance against allegories was just a giant middle finger directed squarely at Lewis and not based off anything else.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Balto was unfortunate to be a non-Disney animated film released in the middle of the Disney Renaissance. If they weren't Bluth they were swiftly forgotten, save for the few that got some air time on the old Cartoon Network (which I believe Balto was, hence it having a bit of recognition).

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I should rewatch Mars Attacks. It didn't traumatize me like it apparently did many children, not sure why. Movies like T2 and Matinee instilled me with a deep fear of nuclear war though...after the Cold War had already ended.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Aristocats update: Movie good but one scene with the butler vs dumb dogs was enough, this second one is obnoxious. 8/10, not enough cattes

Half-agreed, because Lafayette is so fun. Not sure why the French dogs have country bumpkin accents though.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

starkebn posted:

so many good animated music videos out there, but here is one using an old b&w Betty Boop short that highlights how crazy some of that stuff could get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwrdHOu6vQ

Were the want ads for animators in the 1930s just "Must love Cab Calloway. Drug problem/bizarre fetish preferable"?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Barudak posted:

You saying you dont like Cab Calloway? Are we gonna have a problem, in this the Cab Calloway Cokehead Clubhouse?

Of course not. He showed me how to kick that gong around. Hi-dee-hi-dee-hi-dee-hi.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Totoro has no plot, no character development, barely any dialogue, no stakes, no jokes, few emotions at play other than whimsy, and was made primarily to get theaters to show another film...and it is still beloved by pretty much everyone. That is how charming it is.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

How's the newer dub of Totoro? I've heard it's not as good as the one released under Fox (which is the one that I have on VHS) but is it just 'not as great' or is it like actively bad?

It's because of this question that Totoro is the most expensive DVD I own. My wife grew up with the old dub and so I got it for her for Christmas one year. Thing was $75 or something. Also we can't help but hear Angelica Pickles in Mei's voice so we always joke about "Dumb Totoros, give me my cookies!"

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

None of this surprises me, but a lot of it does make me sad.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

LoseHound posted:

So much of that list seems like a joke. I mean, did anyone even see Gnomeo and-

oh.

I asked myself what kind of world would allow Gnomeo & Juliet 2 to exist, and I quickly realized it's the kind of world that would allow Gnomeo & Juliet 1 to exist.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Maybe try to introduce some small scary scenes as you go too. I'm not here to tell anyone I know their kids better than they do obviously, but kid fears can be irrational and all over the place. I had no problem with Sharptooth in Land Before Time or Jason Voorhees, but the gorilla bouncer in Roger Rabbit? I had to leave the room for that.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey Unmature!

http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-teams-warner-bros-animaniacs-rebo-256037

I know this isn't a movie, but I don't know where else you post and I don't have PMs. :v:

This is...huh. Animaniacs was somehow timeless and very VERY much of its time simultaneously. It's still good on rewatch, but so much of the show is rooted in the culture of the 90s.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

starkebn posted:

What are people's choices for the longest running show that was great the whole time?

I'd argue MST3K has never had a bad "season" and never an outright bad episode.

For animation I wanted to say Dexter's Lab, until I remembered about the revival. But the show would've only been 2 seasons without it so that's not long-running either.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

In on topic news, I just watched Bakshi's Lord of The Rings and my God is it the most boring thing I've ever seen.

*two minutes of exposition*
*five minutes of poorly superimposed men in Orc costumes running.*

Repat until the film runs out.

So it's a faithful adaptation then? (I love the books, but even I have to admit they can be a slog)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I know I've probably said it in the thread before, but it still amazes me that the Rankin-Bass version of A Christmas Carol is the darkest version I have ever seen.