Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's still 2016 and it's still the holidays so I can still post Santa Clawhauser and you can't tell me I can't.

it's a little weird that Disney spent enough money to put a man on the Moon building these CGI puppets to mimic realistic physics in great detail so that posing and rendering them from that point on would be click-and-drag simple, and then just photoshop the same half-dozen prerendered cutouts of them over and over for all their promotional material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Koramei posted:

Yeah I doubt the people making random Christmas promo images to stick on websites and stuff have access to the multi-million dollar computer setup it takes to render the characters properly.

Any desktop with the software installed would be able to crank out a still no problem but yeah the merch team probably ain't trained in whatever weird proprietary animation suite the film crews use that gets redeveloped for each movie

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 28, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haledjian posted:

Speaking as a maker of CGI puppets, I'd just as soon not be involved every time someone in marketing wants to tweet a character in a Santa hat, haha

yeah but there's that and then there's working on Sausage Party or Emoji, modelers and riggers can't all be on Disney's A-team

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 28, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Are bronies even still a thing?

why would they have stopped being a thing?

I don't think people were jerking off to the cartoon child horses because it was cool and trendy, but I could just be out of touch

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the deal with talespin anyway, why did they decide to repurpose jungle book characters for that show, that always seemed like a weird thing to do

A TV series following the Disney Jungle Book characters would be kind of dull and a cartoon series about air deliveries would be kind of dull, but you combine the two and you've got magic

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Das Boo posted:

So, like... does anyone actually enjoy watching a cartoon character dance? And I'm talking the typical dance party dance. I understand enjoying watching the ballet in Duet, or Esmeralda's festival dance, or sweeping ballroom dances like Sleeping Beauty or B&tB, but I've never quite gotten the fun of watching dancing animations of a character, segregated, doing a dance party dance.
I think the divide for me is the former pertain to personality and emotion and the latter is devoid of it. You could swap out any character doing those dance party animations and it wouldn't change jack poo poo.

They don't seem so much for the audience as for the animation team

also if you wanna fill five minutes at the end without having to expend much effort and without having to look like you're just filling time there's worse ways to go than all your characters looping through a little animation while some licensed music plays

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've never seen Steven Universe but Steven Universe fans have left me willing to chew off a limb to escape ever having to

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Did Moana even have a message other than "Stay true to yourself" or "Don't be a showoff"?

I like Zootopia for the message as well as being a solid movie in general. Would have been better without the skunk butt rug joke.

Moana's message was 'change is decay, tradition is salvation'. It's pretty unambiguous with it, I just get the feeling people expect that kind of golden-age reactionary message to look like Leave it to Beaver so much it doesn't quite compute when covered in brown skin.

and :agreed:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 24, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

like 90% of the American narrative on Japan is "this may look like a normal country

lol no not really

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of which...

Buy thing. Throw out other thing.

man they took Beavis's character design in a weird direction

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Animation seems like a great career choice if you're into weird sex things

those are the guys most highly motivated to succeed cause how else you gonna get spank material when you're into, like, pregnant airplanes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

Drifter was prob'd for that but not Hed? No offense, Hed...

are you gonna look a gift lack of taurs in the mouth here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

K. Waste posted:

a kiddie version of eXistenZ

god if only

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I never got around to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road, and I still haven't seen it. I have it just sitting around here waiting to be watched. But I'm super apprehensive about watching it at this point because I haven't seen a movie hyped up like that in a long time.

It's the one recent film I can think of that would probably still hold up even after you've been soured by weirdos who want to gently caress the movie. Zootopia is some good cartoon but yeah, I'd imagine if you're going into it primed with Hedrigall posts you're gonna kinda hate it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Precambrian posted:

I want to see just how far it'll go before the general public gets as sick of it as we have

Sassy Tweety Bird was only dislodged 70 years later by the rise of the Minions

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Janelle Monae would have been the perfect Belle.

Yeah she's like 30 but so is Emma Watson, almost. And Janelle can loving sing!

man now I'm just gonna be bitter forever there isn't gonna be a Cybeauty and the Dance Beast

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

The weirdest thing about Space Jam is that so many people have strong feelings about it one way or the other. It's such a bland film.

the idea of the film is just magical, though

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wonder what's been spurring those recent cartoon revivals. Is it due to studios looking at the crazy money Hasbro's been making with My Little Pony and figuring they want a slice of the pie as well? Or is it another outgrowth of the nostalgia wave Disney's been riding with its recent live-action remakes?

all the kids who loved those shows and bugged their parents to buy the merch are adults with spending power of their own now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

My gut reaction is that an Invader Zim revival is about 7 years too late. A lot of people my age would've eaten that up in college for sure. But now that money is mortgage payment money. I could be totally wrong though, IDK really.

banking on that maybe the nostalgia market is just leaving all those cringing retroactive embarassment market dollars on the table

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Redline had a plot?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fangz posted:

Looking at Boss Baby concept art (yes)...

https://twitter.com/turnislefthome/status/852158418974584832

Is it technically impossible to get 3D cg animation to look more like this, or is the belief in the industry that this is not commercially viable?

you can get CG to look exactly like that, but modern Pixar/Dreamworks/Disney style simplified rendering is cheap and commonly accepted and you don't have to worry about it being jarring when your computer filter fails to quite look like real paint

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 22, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

I recall hearing about it when they announced the name of the film, which revealed about as much as we know now.

Now I know how to write Jeff Goldblum in Japanese, or possibly Klingon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I think I'm just real burnt by Disney/Pixar's handling of sequels. They tend to either retread ground or stomp it.
Rescuer's Down Under was good, tho.

what if a wacky magical mishap leaves her stranded in modern-day New York and/or LA, and she has to enlist the help of a couple plucky kids to adapt to modern concepts of what it is to be 'cool'

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

no real plot it's just Olaf the snowman doing slapstick for 90 minutes while he goes about what is apparently just a normal day. Elsa and her family appear, briefly, at the beginning.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Actually make it explicitly Ethiopia, and at the end of the movie they die fighting the Italians.

i'd be down for revisionist ice-powers Adwa

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

What really shits me about that .gif is that it's watermarked, even though the only value added work that person did was badly maneuvering the words "incest guilt" over art that someone else already produced.

kids these days have the actually important part of the creative process down solid

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if there isn't an advanced cable channel that's just all fighter jets all the time IDK what the hell they use those 700 channels for

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Or, perhaps, that there's people who watched the film and then associate it with their own far-right ideology, which is like, what

You watched Zootopia

And now you're using that image macro of Nick holding up a phone to show him smugly counting down until Obama's out of office and Trump's in power

Are you sure you understood Zootopia

they understand it perfectly, they simply disagree, and also understand how easy it is to gently caress with the kind of liberal who thinks Zootopia is a transformative cure to all bigotry. I'd venture they might actually understand it better than you do.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 27, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LeJackal posted:

I have family that died in those camps.

The Germans documented everything I feel like there'd be some record of someone falling out of a guard tower balls deep in a rottweiler

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Actually, I could.

you're literally thirty or something and still telling yourself the "I'm brilliant, just too lazy to be accomplished" story

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It is my experience that it is entirely possible to do that in high school, at least in the Ohio public school district I attended.

In my case, depression and anxiety issues began to heavily interfere with my academics (so it's less I chose not to do the work and more I couldn't do it), but I still passed most of my courses (barely) because tests counted for such a large percentage of my grade.

It's kind of weird reading everyone's school experiences, because over a five year period I went from straight A teacher's pet, to being derided by my teachers for being "brilliant but lazy" (which was a significant source of depression for a long while: if I was so brilliant then why couldn't I do the work?), to drat nearly dropping out.

it's very doable, but it's an accomplishment even more telling to announce apropos of nothing like a decade after the fact than that you could've totally made the highschool football team, but didn't try.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 1, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I was an excellent writer in high school, got a bunch of scholastic awards for terrible garbage poetry and Lacanian deconstructions of Shakespeare while walking the tightrope between Cs and Ds in math, and so my horrible academic advisor urged me to get a literature degree so I could be, presumably, a professional Lacanian literature critic when I grew up. I didn't watch a lot of cartoons, except for All Dogs Go To Heaven, religiously.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 1, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I also thought that Balto was one of those properties that was dragged out and out with endless DTV sequels like Land Before Time, but apparently it only had 2 sequels. (Are they good? Do I even need to ask?)

they are not.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Avatar was okay, but once you get over the visual spectacle there's really not much, if anything, of substance to the movie.

if you accept it's a movie where they picked the wrong protagonist it's a lot of fun whenever General Slab Hardchest or whatever his name is is on screen

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 15, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

How could they still be around if they all killed themselves? :colbert:

there's one remnant who got left behind to spread the good word and update all their internet profiles like the Heaven's Gate IT guy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

There is no lack of escapist fantasy worlds were you can find love and be accepted but also be a cat.

You don't have to settle for the one without toilets.

toilets would seem to defeat the whole point

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Boxman posted:

Were the people who wanted to be na'vi actually real or was that an internet myth? The only thing i actually remember is this video - which I wanted to be real but isn't. Well, that video and the comic where the dude links with his hamburger for all the flavors.

Also - "Unobtainium." Good macguffin name or best macguffin name?

there are people who want to be Klingons and they're just deformed space assholes, do you really have to ask

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Build-a-Boar posted:

The only way I can sleep at night is to tell myself that the scene where a giant mech pulls a giant bowie knife was written entirely for comedy, and nobody seriously wrote that thinking it would be good and cool.

To add to the Over the Garden Wall art book I've bought, I noticed they finally put the drat thing on Blu-ray! I have no idea if there's any special features because the Amazon listing is bare bones.

that's the only part of Avatar I remember, the only part that was worth remembering, and it redeemed the entire rest of the movie for me

Guy Mann posted:

Yes but that's all after the fact. The movie itself was a completely self-contained story with no lingering sequel hooks or after-credit stingers.

I'm not even vaguely clear on what you're trying to argue at this point. Avatar was always a heavily commercial venture, designed first and foremost to showcase 3D technology, and Cameron was talking about making an ocean sequel or something while it was still in theaters. That it wasn't written expressly as the first installment of a trilogy Peter Jackson style means nothing.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 16, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It's kind of astonishing to realize that was done barely five years before October revolution. What would it have been like, working as an animator then?

wikipedia posted:

After the October Revolution of 1917, the film community largely sided with the White Army and moved from Moscow to Yalta on the Black Sea. After a brief stay, Starewicz and his family fled before the Red Army could capture the Crimea, stopping in Italy for a while before joining the Russian émigrés in Paris.

...eventful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Who do I have to kill to prevent the space jam sequel

it'll be "live action" i.e. photorealistic CGI Bugs Bunny balling with photorealistic CGI Michael Jordan