Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

iTunes link | Google Play link I think there's also a facebook link but :lol:

Gumballs and Dungeons is much more than failed Dragon Quest IP with the numbers filed off! As SynthesisAlpha pitched it in the Android thread:

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So does anyone remember Dungelot? And its terrible sequels? I've been playing Gumballs & Dungeons, which is basically the game Dungelot should have been. Sure there's a stamina mechanic and premium currency like every drat mobile game, but you get enough of both that they never feel restrictive.

It's the same premise -- you uncover tiles in a 5x6 grid and either get stuff or fight the monsters underneath. The thing that makes this a good take on the genre is your little slime dudes (gumballs, I guess) come in like a hundred different classes across four factions, each one with a unique passive ability (like crit chance, or free magic scrolls every level) and a talent that applies across all characters (like +2 attack or 15% stronger lightning bolts). You get a new character every dungeon you clear, and there are a bunch of ways to recruit more. Each gumballs falls into one of three classes, Adventurer, Mage, or Melee, and you spend XP to upgrade titles in a branching tree to earn stats and abilities. You also can take the passives and titles from two other gumballs from the same faction.

The game is also packed with side features, like explorer guys that you send out and they come back on a timer with free stuff, gumball artisans that produce upgrade materials (whom you buy or rescue from dungeons), an airship exploration side-game (with puzzle dungeons, airship combat, and a whole new set of things to upgrade), daily quests, and even the world map has little nodes you can poke for prizes. Each dungeon also has a unique mechanic, like assembling tools from the bones of undead enemies into equipment or a pet, a plant ally that grows by feeding it loot from dungeon enemies, a ghost ship ally, or a magic lamp that you upgrade with a genie. You can also find all seven dragonballs in a dungeon and make a wish. (and the eternal dragon is also an adorable gumball guy)

The stamina mechanic isn't bad, since dungeons take a good while to get through. You can also just spend stamina to raid them for instant loot and xp if you don't have time to devote for a full run. I've never really felt like I couldn't play because of it.

I will warn everyone that the gacha is strong with this one. The premium gacha pulls award fragments of a character, which you also need to upgrade them once you acquire them anyway, ugh. You do get some free pulls to start and from every 5 days worth of daily quests, but I've yet to assemble enough fragments for a character. The game is very playable without them, but you'd have to whale pretty hard to get the gacha characters unlocked and maxed out.

The game has a surprising amount of depth, so if it doesn't click for you try exploring a few levels in! The mazes get more interesting gimmicks as you get deeper in the game and, the game changes over time thanks to various global boosts as you unlock features. You'll be able to get much farther two weeks in than when you're just starting out thanks to being able to mix and max unique skills from gumballs via soul link, global effects that change how spells work, and potions that can get you over the early-game hump of a dungeon. If none of these words make sense, just jump in!

The official facebook page posts a code every day you can enter for about 30k coins and a handful of random secondary bonuses every day around 11:00PM EST / 8:00PM PST. Really useful to get your base up and set up at the beginning, and then a nice bonus afterwards.

This facebook post is pretty much the best resource for anyone starting up, but for anyone who wants to jump right in:

1. Reloading the game: If you close the game and wait 30 minutes you can completely reroll the current floor you're on. Helpful to find hidden characters or to complete bonus objectives that rely on randomly generated dungeon features.
2. Secret codes: Entering these codes can give you a quick leg up. Some of them won't work at first since they require the Mercenary Camp or the Airship to be unlocked. Just keep progressing and you'll be able to spend :10bux: for fragments and fly the unfriendly skies, respectively.
3. Gaining and spending gems: A quick guide on how to get gems (the game's hard currency) and the best ways to spend it. imo Field Survival Guide is the only must have, since if you increase the time to 8 hours you stand a decent chance of getting 3 gems each time you send your dudes out. Spending the 50 gems on the extra maps isn't a bad idea either because they each have fun mechanics, give 2 gumballs each, and some new potion options.
4. If you have survey bucks lying around buy one of the $0.99 daily deals will get you the Terminator gumball right away which can be a pretty nice early-game boost until you flesh out your roster :retrogames:

As you get further in the game the follow links will probably be helpful:
Sky Instance Solutions here, facebook post here (some additional answers in the comments). When scanning the sky via radar you'll occasionally come upon one-shot dungeons that reward either items or even Gumballs on completion! They're mostly fun little puzzles, but if you get tired of wasting stamina these are good resources to clear them
Sky Maze Riddle Answers here. There's an occasional event where a gumball will ask you a question and give you three answers to choose from. Choosing correctly nets you items.
Hidden Gumballs here. Every dungeon (even the ones you buy for gems) has a hidden gumball you can recruit. This is a list of all of them and how to get them!
80dp guide and Oriental Shrine/Machine Shrine guide here. Hitting 80dp for a dungeon nest you 5 golden pots and allows you to instantly complete circus quests in that maze. Also included in here is a guide as to what the Oriental Shrine / Machine Shrine will give you in return for various sacrifices.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

people should tell me what to add to the FAQ. i'm guessing fragment filtering, whether this game requires an internet connection (yes), whether it uses a lot of data (no), and a list of easy-to-obtain hidden gumballs

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Ground floor lol :five:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Been playing this game the past couple weeks and it's really fun. I just finished the standard quests for the magic lamp dungeon, haven't unlocked the next one yet or even the airship at this point. There's just always something that feels more urgent to spend coins on like goods from the traveling merchant, artifact upgrades, gumball food.

Anyways something I've been wondering about the last few days is if there's any sort of minmax strategy for the end level of non-endless dungeons. Like does it matter in the dungeon "settlement" if you try to spend any extra exp on leveling up, buying equipment in shops, convert equipment to exp, scrolls to MP, etc?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress yeah this thread was long overdue.

Anyways to newer players, here are some of the easiest gumballs to unlock

Spy (AB venture) just use as many codes as you can from the Facebook forum and then use his code. He lets you prevents monsters from red Xing the tiles and gives you (skill level)% dodge for each tile for the floor. Global buff isn't really helpful.

Soul Reaper (Canas fighter) : Revive three times. You can do three 5 gems revives in different play throughs. His ability is a free revive based on kills. It can stack but I believe each revive cost double. Doesn't work for undead or non living enemies like elementals. Global buff is cheaper revives.

Magic golem (AR mage): Fully upgrade crystal condensing and thr buy him. Makes stone skin better and gives a (star*3)% of ignoring damage as a global buff. Active buff makes you take MP damage instead of health when MP is higher.

Hellfire (AR mage): Fully upgrade magic iron smelting and then buy him. Makes fireballs better and cause burning as a global buff. Active buffs makes all fire spells better

Tarot (RS venture): Get 100 achievement XP. There are some easy ones like click on the world map free stuff and share the game. The active ability is a pretty fun gain a random tarot card every few floors. Cards can heal HP, MP, create an npc to take hits, and increase stats. The global buff gives every gumballs +attack and power and a small chance to make normal pots give better rewards.

Merchant (Canas venture): Spend 500k at the black market. The global buff makes the black market always show up and have more items. Active buffs make stores in the dungeon have discounts and more items.

Sage (RS mage): refill stamina 15 times. Global buff makes bless last one turn longer and makes bless a little more powerful. Active buff makes you immune to curse and have more MP. He is pretty pricey though.

Slave (RS venture): Wish for a companion. Slave totally sucks. Global buff is a artisan per star. Active buff makes your attack 1 for 50 levels. After 50 levels you gain a ton of equipment, sometimes diamond armor. Diamond armor gives you 10 gems when you wear it.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 28, 2016

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

peepsalot posted:

Been playing this game the past couple weeks and it's really fun. I just finished the standard quests for the magic lamp dungeon, haven't unlocked the next one yet or even the airship at this point. There's just always something that feels more urgent to spend coins on like goods from the traveling merchant, artifact upgrades, gumball food.

Anyways something I've been wondering about the last few days is if there's any sort of minmax strategy for the end level of non-endless dungeons. Like does it matter in the dungeon "settlement" if you try to spend any extra exp on leveling up, buying equipment in shops, convert equipment to exp, scrolls to MP, etc?

Definitely get the airship ASAP. It gives you a decent amount of gems pretty quickly. As well as some amazing gumballs like Zerg queen and justice Harold. And then you can open up the mines. The mine gives a max of 9000 coin per hour if you upgrade the cart, though it does take gems. And you can raid other players for some decent money as well. It is usually about 20-25k per raid and I have a possible 2 per six hours.

With max gold mines, 100 artisans on gold, and max Expedition, I'm starting to finally catch up on gold.

I think you can alter your score with some minmaxing but I don't think it is really worth the effort.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
My friend got me into this game a few days ago because he's a bastard and knows I get addicted to these kinds of things.

Pretty fun so far, though I'm getting killed by bosses in the endless dungeons, guess I just need to unlock more gumballs for global buffs.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax
I have been playing for a few weeks and this game is awesome. So glad there is a thread now.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
What are the max upgrade levels for the furnace and the relic mine?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Shwqa posted:

gently caress yeah this thread was long over do.

Anyways to newer players, here are some of the easiest gumballs to unlock

Spy (AB venture) just use as many codes as you can from the Facebook forum and then use his code. He lets you prevents monsters from red Xing the tiles and gives you (skill level)% dodge for each tile for the floor. Global buff isn't really helpful.

Soul Reaper (Canas fighter) : Revive three times. You can do three 5 gems revives in different play throughs. His ability is a free revive based on kills. It can stack but I believe each revive cost double. Doesn't work for undead or non living enemies like elementals. Global buff is cheaper revives.

Magic golem (AR mage): Fully upgrade crystal condensing and thr buy him. Makes stone skin better and gives a (star*6)% of ignoring damage as a global buff. Active buff makes you take MP damage instead of health when MP is higher.

Hellfire (AR mage): Fully upgrade magic iron smelting and then buy him. Makes fireballs better and cause burning as a global buff. Active buffs makes all fire spells better

Tarot (RS venture): Get 100 achievement XP. There are some easy ones like click on the world map free stuff and share the game. The active ability is a pretty fun gain a random tarot card every few floors. Cards can heal HP, MP, create an npc to take hits, and increase stats. The global buff gives every gumballs +attack and power and a small chance to make normal pots give better rewards.

Merchant (Canas venture): Spend 500k at the black market. The global buff makes the black market always show up and have more items. Active buffs make stores in the dungeon have discounts and more items.

Sage (RS mage): refill stamina 5 times. Global buff makes bless last one turn longer and makes bless a little more powerful. Active buff makes you immune to curse and have more MP.

Slave (RS venture): Wish for a companion. Slave totally sucks. Global buff is a artisan per star. Active buff makes your attack 1 for 50 levels. After 50 levels you gain a ton of equipment, sometimes diamond armor. Diamond armor gives you 10 gems when you wear it.

I believe you mean overdue

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edit:∆∆∆ yes I did.

Mischalaniouse posted:

My friend got me into this game a few days ago because he's a bastard and knows I get addicted to these kinds of things.

Pretty fun so far, though I'm getting killed by bosses in the endless dungeons, guess I just need to unlock more gumballs for global buffs.

Mages are pretty good boss killers early on. It isn't too hard to throw mage plus soul reaper and a third gumball ( merchant is the easiest canas venture to unlock) together and get to floor 50-70. Use electro static to boost your power and disruption ray so the boss takes more damage, then blast them with your spells. Throw in icicle, hex, and timestill to lock the boss down for a little while. Also note equipment doesn't take up turns to change. Feel free to keep certain spell boosting equipment and switch before casting.

It starts getting pretty tough for mages to handle floors 80+ because it takes 3-4 spells per enemy unless you can pull some fancy ruin blade nonsense with Duke of destruction fighter final upgrade or use some helpful dungeon gimmick to kill enemies.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 28, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Shwqa posted:

Sage (RS mage): refill stamina 5 times. Global buff makes bless last one turn longer and makes bless a little more powerful. Active buff makes you immune to curse and have more MP.

Sage doesn't join you immediately after 5 refills. He's given me potion recipes at 5 and 10 refills and I suspect he will join me at 15, matching Condottiere who joins you after you buy 15 golden pots from him.

E: also archaeologist is pretty easy, think he joins you naturally as you create and upgrade artifacts

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 28, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The Engrish might have just cost me a good wish. I got the seven dragonballs and I was given the option between "collection", "companions" and "ore". I figured collection was their way of saying gold or gems so I picked that, but it was just items. Not very helpful when I was done with the dungeon. :saddowns:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

You'll want to make all the unique wishes eventually to get the dragon gumball so no big loss!

Apparently they crowdsourced a bunch of translations so it'll get updated sometime mid-january. Until then, make peace with their apparent inability to spell floor right and some head-scratchers like 'zoetic enemy' (this means any enemy that isn't typed as Undead or Elemental when you long press them, where this is righ under the monster name).

Where's the Snowman gumball? I was saving my christmas pentagrams in case you could exchange them for fragments but time's just about up on the Christmas event and still no sign.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

RoboCicero posted:

Where's the Snowman gumball? I was saving my christmas pentagrams in case you could exchange them for fragments but time's just about up on the Christmas event and still no sign.

:same:

Also thanks for the heads up in the other thread about the Justice Herald. He's definitely a bad rear end but unfortunately i can only use him for the caster faction. What other good synergies are there for soul links?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Goddamned Zerg queen just will not show up

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm currently always getting squashed by the second boss in my Endless runs. I'm not quite sure how to tackle them really, I can run around effectively invincible to the normal enemies but then just hit a brickwall of gently caress you with 700+ HP that grinds me to death.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

RoboCicero posted:

You'll want to make all the unique wishes eventually to get the dragon gumball so no big loss!

Apparently they crowdsourced a bunch of translations so it'll get updated sometime mid-january. Until then, make peace with their apparent inability to spell floor right and some head-scratchers like 'zoetic enemy' (this means any enemy that isn't typed as Undead or Elemental when you long press them, where this is righ under the monster name).

Zoetic just means "living" (I googled this) but yes what a bizarre word to choose.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any reward/bonus for trying every title of a given character type?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Time to stop playing the game now that there's a thread...

Just kidding. This game is fun.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Aramoro posted:

I'm currently always getting squashed by the second boss in my Endless runs. I'm not quite sure how to tackle them really, I can run around effectively invincible to the normal enemies but then just hit a brickwall of gently caress you with 700+ HP that grinds me to death.

Bosses are about using some combination of Stoneskin, Icicle/other stuns; Zerg Queen, high-Power casters and high-level healing/shields to never take a full hit across the brow. Stoneskin in particular is how you kill bosses right up through F100 or so.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax
I finally got Zerg Queen! Oh, and make sure you improve the gumball that makes Stoneskin better. Having Stoneskin reduce damage by 70% with a decent change of negating all damage is the only way I can beat lower level bosses.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Mrit SA posted:

I finally got Zerg Queen! Oh, and make sure you improve the gumball that makes Stoneskin better. Having Stoneskin reduce damage by 70% with a decent change of negating all damage is the only way I can beat lower level bosses.

You mean the magic golem? I thought it was +25% to stone skin and +15% to ignore damage? Or was there another one I missed?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Aramoro posted:

Yes, the second boss in endless dungeons is often where you'll face your first really tricky fight. But without knowing more about your experience, it's hard to give you advice. How many dungeons have you unlocked? How many/which gumballs have you unlocked? Do you know how to upgrade gumballs? Do you know how gumballs' bonuses work? Do you know that some tier-5 titles are way easier to use than others?

You don't have to answer all of those questions. But if you want advice, people will need more context than "i'm dying halp" :)

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 28, 2016

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Is there any reward/bonus for trying every title of a given character type?

You get some Honor xp (which will mostly get you Tarot fragments) for maxing out all the final titles (Adventure/Melee/Mage Mastery in the Maze Tab).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You don't have to answer all of those questions. But if you want advice, people will need more context than "i'm dying halp" :)

Reading it back my post was a bit more halp pls than i intended. Im fairly happy blundering around trying things out really.

Ive just completed Borderlands and upgraded my adventurer, bandit and swordsman gumballs to 3 stars. Ive got the witch, magic golem, tarot, the other abyss one and the reaper gumballs unlocked but theyre just not as upgraded as my other ones. Generally I've been using the Bandit soul linked to the Adventurer going down the Silver Knight path. When I get to the second boss i just find i don't have enough damage reduction to outlast him (unless he has a gimmick like the Bandit boss)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Aramoro posted:

Reading it back my post was a bit more halp pls than i intended. Im fairly happy blundering around trying things out really.

Ive just completed Borderlands and upgraded my adventurer, bandit and swordsman gumballs to 3 stars. Ive got the witch, magic golem, tarot, the other abyss one and the reaper gumballs unlocked but theyre just not as upgraded as my other ones. Generally I've been using the Bandit soul linked to the Adventurer going down the Silver Knight path. When I get to the second boss i just find i don't have enough damage reduction to outlast him (unless he has a gimmick like the Bandit boss)

I don't have zerg queen yet, but the only times I've gotten past floor 50 bosses is with a high powered mage with spells to burn or adventurer with flick knives, legendary arrows, and enough blocking/debuff spells paired with spy and warrior for a lot of missing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Aramoro posted:

First, some gumball notes. Note 1: Adventurer and Bandit aren't in the same faction, so your comment about soul-linking them can't be right; soul-link is the term people use for how you can bring one or two "friend" gumballs into the dungeon with you and you get to use their "exclusive skill". Note 2: that you can get the Spy gumball for free by entering cheat codes: enter enough codes from this secret code list and then enter the one that unlocks Spy. It isn't the best ball but its exclusive skill is handy sometimes.

Second, your title strategy. Based on your comment of "I go for Silver Knight", this is probably where you're going wrong, because a rank 3 title is not going to bring you to victory over boss #2 in endless dungeons, especially not a rank 3 title that focuses heavily away from damage stats. What you need to be doing here is find a path through a title tree that gives you crazy stats or a useful gimmick.

The newbie example that goons talked most about in the Android thread (before this thread was made) was the Venture tree's rank 5 title of Great Elf King. (Specifically, the path of: Explorer, Demon Hunter, player's choice for rank 4, and Great Elf King.) This title gives you a passive ability where for each floor, the first time enemies are visible, it auto-snipes one for 5x your attack value. This is great for normal floors once ranged attackers start showing up, but it is also great for bosses, even if the auto-snipe only hits for 2.5x ATK on them. The real value for boss battles comes in the "bonus" levelss you put into it once it's unlocked (i.e. the three stars for each of the 3 stats that eventually light up the "moons" when you fill them out). For each bonus level you put into Great Elf King, it gives you an arrow item that hits for 10x ATK (or 5x ATK on bosses). Combine this item with your best ATK equipment and a Bless, and you should be hitting for hundreds.

How I usually build this is, start with a Venture gumball of course. Then I usually put three levels into Venture tier 1 (because it's cheap and useful), then rush to rank 5 by putting one level in each rank of 2-5. At this point I look at what floor I'm on: if I'm worried about being able to earn 1000 EP by the second boss, I put levels into rank 5 so that I have a couple 10x arrows on hand. But if I have plenty of time, I will fill out other titles that help me along the way. These would include the undead bow title I took for rank 3 of Venture (because rank 2 is garbage and rank 4 is situational), and titles from the helper gumballs I brought with me.

You should also make sure to take full advantage of the dungeon gimmick. Don't spend all your EP chasing the gimmick, but each gimmick can help you a lot. You can get big stat boosts, damage nullification, active skills, and items, just by paying attention to those.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Nothing about this game makes any sense and the Engrish doesn't help.

What do you do? You flip up the floors of a dungeon and see whats hiding underneath, what you never flipped up a giant stone floor?

Cant hit this thingy? Use a bee hive on it, a completely normal thing to do.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Legin Noslen posted:

Nothing about this game makes any sense and the Engrish doesn't help.

being a goon about it doesn't help either

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

First, some gumball notes. Note 1: Adventurer and Bandit aren't in the same faction, so your comment about soul-linking them can't be right; soul-link is the term people use for how you can bring one or two "friend" gumballs into the dungeon with you and you get to use their "exclusive skill". Note 2: that you can get the Spy gumball for free by entering cheat codes: enter enough codes from this secret code list and then enter the one that unlocks Spy. It isn't the best ball but its exclusive skill is handy sometimes.

Second, your title strategy. Based on your comment of "I go for Silver Knight", this is probably where you're going wrong, because a rank 3 title is not going to bring you to victory over boss #2 in endless dungeons, especially not a rank 3 title that focuses heavily away from damage stats. What you need to be doing here is find a path through a title tree that gives you crazy stats or a useful gimmick.

Youre right about the soul link names, i just can't remember exactly what they are. Swordsmans and Adventurer or Bandit and Taiko? They both end up as fighter with a soul linked venture type. I go down the Silver Knight branch as that seems to render you functionally immortal, I've certainly never been killed by anything other than an endless boss.

Im just playing around the strategies just now as what I'm doing is clearly fine for normal enemies but doesn't cut it against bosses.

Just got my Airship now, just need 1 more gumball before i can repair it.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I just got the airship yesterday and I'm wondering how important is buying the rainbow / star / sun / etc.. contracts? If I don't buy them, the islands that require them clog up my radar. Not that it's a big issue, since I can barely explore to level 35 before I have to reset.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Gilg posted:

I just got the airship yesterday and I'm wondering how important is buying the rainbow / star / sun / etc.. contracts? If I don't buy them, the islands that require them clog up my radar. Not that it's a big issue, since I can barely explore to level 35 before I have to reset.

It's worth it to keep a few rainbow contracts around, but only buy them with relic fragments and you'll see them in the shop frequently enough that you don't ever need to stock more than 8 or so. The higher level contracts can be found from enemies or rainbow vaults, so spending gems on them isn't really worth it.

As for the radar clogging, they'll pop back up soon enough after opening them anyhow - if this really starts hampering exploration, you just might want to upgrade your radar a bit (costs a small amount of gems, done at the dig site which unlocks a while after you get the airship).

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Gilg posted:

Once you get the dig site, you can expand the maximum battery and radar entries with gems (I think up to 15 radar entries and 30 battery + bonuses.)

When I buy contracts, I always make back more than what I spend normally (except for Rainbow Contracts but I get them in other ways) and that helps a bit. So... if it were me and you're not on too much of a crunch for fragments, buy em,

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Note to those who want to solve sky quiz event without spoilers, for this question you must assume the rope has mass and the pulley has friction

quote:

At both ends of a pulley hang a 10-pound weight and a 10-pound monkey respectively. They keep the pulley in balance. When the monkey climbed up the rope how will the weight move?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The newbie example that goons talked most about in the Android thread (before this thread was made) was the Venture tree's rank 5 title of Great Elf King. (Specifically, the path of: Explorer, Demon Hunter, player's choice for rank 4, and Great Elf King.) This title gives you a passive ability where for each floor, the first time enemies are visible, it auto-snipes one for 5x your attack value. This is great for normal floors once ranged attackers start showing up, but it is also great for bosses, even if the auto-snipe only hits for 2.5x ATK on them. The real value for boss battles comes in the "bonus" levelss you put into it once it's unlocked (i.e. the three stars for each of the 3 stats that eventually light up the "moons" when you fill them out). For each bonus level you put into Great Elf King, it gives you an arrow item that hits for 10x ATK (or 5x ATK on bosses). Combine this item with your best ATK equipment and a Bless, and you should be hitting for hundreds.

If you're going deep then you either want to go

1. Demon Hunter >> Treasure Hunter >> (either Great Elf King or Legendary Hunter depending on how annoying the non-boss mobs are)
or
2. Night Walker >> Evil Bandit >> Farplane Ranger

The bolded rank 4 titles give you a 3 piece set that either 1) increases EP gained from killing monsters and gives a hefty bonus when you full clear a floor, or 2) greatly reduces all EP costs of gaining titles and purchasing in stores. I get my first point in the Rank 5 title, then go back and finish the Rank 4 title, then start dumping points into Rank 5 or going deeper into the Fight/Magic titles depending on my goals for the run and what maze I'm on.

The benefit of Farplane Ranger is that the corpses that you find lying on the ground will give you maze-specific bonuses according to these screenshots. Some are clearly better than others, so whether or not to go Farplane depends on what maze you're in, and again, what your goals are (go deep, get hidden gumball, get certain DP achieves, etc).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

The bolded rank 4 titles give you a 3 piece set that either 1) increases EP gained from killing monsters and gives a hefty bonus when you full clear a floor, or 2) greatly reduces all EP costs of gaining titles and purchasing in stores. I get my first point in the Rank 5 title, then go back and finish the Rank 4 title, then start dumping points into Rank 5 or going deeper into the Fight/Magic titles depending on my goals for the run and what maze I'm on.

yeah gonna have to disagree here. the EP cost of these sets for a main Venture gumball is either 950 or 1350, depending on whether you count the first pip. so unless you are going to provide the math to support spending this large amount of EP i must just ignore any analysis along these lines. while i have not done any kind of formal analysis, i am very very skeptical that the piece stats and set bonus are going to make you back 1350 EP over any reasonable timeframe compared to the benefits of spending that EP elsewhere

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 29, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah gonna have to disagree here. the EP cost of these sets for a main Venture gumball is either 950 or 1350, depending on whether you count the first pip. so unless you are going to provide the math to support spending this large amount of EP i must just ignore any analysis along these lines. while i have not done any kind of formal analysis, i am very very skeptical that the piece stats and set bonus are going to make you back 1350 EP over any reasonable timeframe compared to the benefits of spending that EP elsewhere

The total cost (1350) of the Noble's set pays itself back when you've upgraded another 4821 EP worth of titles, or spent 7500 EP on non-title items (Saint's Tower; Forest Maze, etc). If we're going by the cost of the second and third pips, it'll pay itself off just from unlocking another tree's final node. The Hunter's math is a bit weirder, but you're going to be getting 10+ EP back per floor, plus another 18% bonus for each floor cleared (usually 30-40).

Either one of those is going to pay itself back within 30 floors or so, and even an early-game "deep" run is going to be covering 100+ floors between 1-80 and a Portal of Earth.

Niton fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 29, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Niton posted:

The total cost (1350) of the Noble's set pays itself back when you've upgraded another 4821 EP worth of titles, or spent 7500 EP on non-title items (Saint's Tower; Forest Maze, etc). If we're going by the cost of the second and third pips, it'll pay itself off just from unlocking another tree's final node. The Hunter's math is a bit weirder, but you're going to be getting 10+ EP back per floor, plus another 18% bonus for each floor cleared (usually 30-40).

Either one of those is going to pay itself back within 30 floors or so, and even an early-game "deep" run is going to be covering 100+ floors between 1-80 and a Portal of Earth.

great job! the next step in this analysis is to adjust for the loss of actual good stats you get from them

after that, adjust for the loss of other purchase opportunities you forsook

edit: also, even your title math is wrong. unlocking a t5 title in a secondary tree only costs 3000 EP, before any discounts or refunds

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

On a "deep" run I'm literally getting every rank of each title in all three types and the most important thing to me is getting all 9 ranks of Plane Prophet asap. That's a total cost of, I think, 12000 ep before discounts.

Casting the first portal gives me a wide enough buffer to start gaining enough ep to survive easily once I've climbed the 40ish floors I ported back.

The extra ranks in the last venture title is far less valuable to me since I'm running Zorro/ Spartan/ Zerg Queen and killing bosses is trivial for a long time.