Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm rocking Desert Oasis with an unlikely combo: Archaeologist / Crusader / Modificator.

Archaeologist boosts an equipped artifact by 250%, which works nicely with armor with enough enhancements to get you through many levels intact. Crusader boosts Attack by 20% for every 20% HP you lose. Modificator is a nifty thing I picked up from Ranger's Song gold pots, who engulfs living enemies you kill and heals for 15 HP/5 MP _and_ boosts max HP and MP by 1. Even if it was just +15 HP, that's like maxed Silver Knight AND Medium Dragon Bloodline combined. Obviously not so great against elementals and undead but perfect in dungeons with living enemies, and Oasis is half-and-half on that.

I picked up the Dragon Power wishes along the way and now have over 3000 HP at level 81. Once you've maxed the lamp and gotten the equipment, the Golden Lamp Oil wishes give you boosts like +100 HP, +100 MP, +2 Defense or +10% Dodge, which also help. Also found out that the Holy Lamp Oil's wish for Gems is +10 the first time.

About the only drawback I'm finding is that if you pick the Melee path in Dragon Power and wounds kill an opponent, it does not trigger Blade of Ruin.

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm working through the Temple mazes right now and have the following gumballs: Swordsman, Kaito, Golem Mage, Hellfire, and Terminator. They are all at 2 or 3 stars. What are my short term goals?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How should I be dealing with level 50+ bosses? If I take the time to buff I get creamed by the heavy hits every three rounds and if I don't I get nibbled to death by counter attacks.

I'm in arena right now and the boss is especially annoying because I can't use icicle to freeze the boss and avoid the big attacks.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

How should I be dealing with level 50+ bosses? If I take the time to buff I get creamed by the heavy hits every three rounds and if I don't I get nibbled to death by counter attacks.

I'm in arena right now and the boss is especially annoying because I can't use icicle to freeze the boss and avoid the big attacks.

My current go to is:
Electro static
Disruption ray
Icicle (prevents the boss for doing their attack or counter attacking with the debuff is in effect)
Damage for turn 2
Stoneskin
Repeat damage x2 and stoneskin

If you have legendary mage with 3 extra turns of buff/debuffs:
Electrostatic
Disruption ray
Icicle (last for 2 boss hits)
Damage until disruption ray runs out
Disruption ray
Stoneskin
Damage until disruption ray runs out and repeat the last 2 steps.

Timestill if you are in trouble. Either heal or do the last bit of damage while time is stop. Course legendary mage get an extra 3 turns of panic timestill.

Long story short: legendary mage is the way to go.

Edit: I'm not sure about arena. I haven't tried an endless run since learning the boss' instant kill gimmick. But it sounds like you need stone skin up.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 1, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

I'm working through the Temple mazes right now and have the following gumballs: Swordsman, Kaito, Golem Mage, Hellfire, and Terminator. They are all at 2 or 3 stars. What are my short term goals?

Grind out DP so you can continue to unlock areas, which in turn unlocks gumballs. Keep using the Adventurer (either main or soul-linked with your Swordsman) so that random gumball villagers will spawn in the mazes. Every once in a while it'll be the Warrior gumball, and when you find him 11 times he'll join you.

Once you get the Sky Key and have the option to repair the Airship, you'll have a slightly longer term goal of getting 500k coins and 15 total gumballs.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Honestly the first few dungeons have god awful unlock on the hidden gumballs. I still don't have the first 5 dungeons hidden gumballs, besides zorro. Just gain dp and go forward. Honestly I like the dungeons after the arena better than earlier stuff. I started really get into the game after the airship and post arena dungeons.

Save your gems. Buy skeleton island as so as you can. Pirate and adventurer going together so well. They basically do the same thing. And ghost pirate is an easy unlock. And the 300ep potion the dungeon unlocks is pretty good for a while.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Just stick with adventurer for now?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
While the Sorcerer is an amazing unlock, it's basically RNG if you're going to unlock him. But he's REALLY good. He's the only of the hidden gumballs I have unlocked so far. Just go on getting DP and unlocking dungeons. You probably won't be able to fight bosses until you have the ability to have 2 souls to join you.

Adventurer is a great gumball anyways.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Few fun things that I've noticed but haven't come up in the thread-

- Gunship runes can be disenchanted for relic parts ( usually not much, but good if you're short a few hundred ) and some of them actually give you more rewards if you do it.
- When feeding gumballs, if you're short on ingredients you can tap them, and you'll either be able to outright buy lower level ingredients with gold, or buy and combine to get some higher level ones.
- Athena gumball is a nice alternative for Zerg Queen, just that she doesn't guarantee extra helpers per x floors. However they persist between levels, and if you link with the Adventurer gumball, you can speak to villagers twice and get them as a extra helper.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

limited posted:

- Gunship runes can be disenchanted for relic parts ( usually not much, but good if you're short a few hundred ) and some of them actually give you more rewards if you do it.

... wait what? :stare:

limited posted:

- When feeding gumballs, if you're short on ingredients you can tap them, and you'll either be able to outright buy lower level ingredients with gold, or buy and combine to get some higher level ones.

Yeah knew this one, ends up costing a poo poo ton for the upper tiers.

limited posted:

- Athena gumball is a nice alternative for Zerg Queen, just that she doesn't guarantee extra helpers per x floors. However they persist between levels, and if you link with the Adventurer gumball, you can speak to villagers twice and get them as a extra helper.

This part I'm curious about and I'll investigate a bit.

Also, 5th forest run, no robe yet. FFS.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I just randomly got the option to add two more guns to the Gunball airship. Only 2*, had enough chips for 3* but hadn't upgraded it, upgraded all but one of the 3* parts and saw it pop up. No idea what controls it, maybe total exploration levels or plunders? But it's only the Gumball airship and not any of my other ones. Very mysterious.

The sorcerer's hut is definitely super annoying because of the double RNG required to grab it, but Spartan and Dark Dragon are probably one of the most difficult to get. I got Spartan with something like Adventurer, Zerg Queen, and Warrior, with rushing to Farplane Ranger via the Lantern route right away so I could use Nether Wicks to one-shot all the bosses (except Hercules, which has a transformation so you need to use two on him). Farplane Ranger also gives you a soul that boosts Senate Cape and Spartan Helmet to 'actually good' levels.

Dark Dragon is going to be annoying as piss though. Level 95 is already the limit of how deep I can dive without restricting myself to a crappy faction :|

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I got Spartan with a fairly bog-standard Mage build, Mage/Justice Herald/Genie. I used Portal and Magic Carpet to build up skills and Lightning Bolts, then tiptoed through the last 20 levels or so looking only for keys on non-divisible-by-5 levels and nuked my way to 95. The Orc boss isn't too bad if you have enough Icicles and nuking power, and both he and the Arena bosses can be Hexed.

Dark Dragon is my last dungeon unlock remaining. My Death Knight is 4*, which isn't horrible, but Vampire is useless because the dungeon's all undead. I have Predator, Captain, Lich King, Vampire Hunter, Magic Golem, Hellfire, Commando and Medusa to build a team from, which means probably Predator and one of the Magic units and then praying that I can rack up enough EP to get Plane Prophet for a second chance at building Chime/Armor/Boots up to 10. The boss pretty much calls for strong Magic to stand a chance, so I'd _rather_ go Lord of Elemental but then PoE showing up is iffy and getting 10/10/10 is almost impossible without at least one. Likewise, Legendary Mage is tempting but then I'm praying the right items show up to support it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

delfin posted:

I got Spartan with a fairly bog-standard Mage build, Mage/Justice Herald/Genie. I used Portal and Magic Carpet to build up skills and Lightning Bolts, then tiptoed through the last 20 levels or so looking only for keys on non-divisible-by-5 levels and nuked my way to 95. The Orc boss isn't too bad if you have enough Icicles and nuking power, and both he and the Arena bosses can be Hexed.

Dark Dragon is my last dungeon unlock remaining. My Death Knight is 4*, which isn't horrible, but Vampire is useless because the dungeon's all undead. I have Predator, Captain, Lich King, Vampire Hunter, Magic Golem, Hellfire, Commando and Medusa to build a team from, which means probably Predator and one of the Magic units and then praying that I can rack up enough EP to get Plane Prophet for a second chance at building Chime/Armor/Boots up to 10. The boss pretty much calls for strong Magic to stand a chance, so I'd _rather_ go Lord of Elemental but then PoE showing up is iffy and getting 10/10/10 is almost impossible without at least one. Likewise, Legendary Mage is tempting but then I'm praying the right items show up to support it.

Hellfire's passive is actually really good; especially if you can get your hand on a Great Druid's Cloak.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

:allears:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Ok so I'm a late comer and am enjoying this but have hit a wall at the Colosseum. I managed to find the orb that let me upgrade to two soul links, but I still can't find a beginner gumball that can keep up with the damage output on the third story quest and I still don't understand how to build a mage gumball so I take no damage and have enough spells to clear floors.

How do I become not bad at this game?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
If you are needing to clear quests that don't have a boss, warrior gumball with the knight tree then the upgrade that heals on kills and gains attack on kills. Rubbish for bosses, but great sustain

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

WebDO posted:

Ok so I'm a late comer and am enjoying this but have hit a wall at the Colosseum. I managed to find the orb that let me upgrade to two soul links, but I still can't find a beginner gumball that can keep up with the damage output on the third story quest and I still don't understand how to build a mage gumball so I take no damage and have enough spells to clear floors.

How do I become not bad at this game?

To prosper with a Magic unit, start it off as Fake Melee. Max the first Magic tier for +Attack and +Bless, max the first Fight tier for 20% counterattack avoidance, avoid casting spells as much as possible, and work on your Defense. Use an Artifact that gives you +2 Defense, get a potion that boosts Defense (Champion's Potion if you've gotten that far, perhaps, Hero's Potion if you haven't), and equip any items that drop that boost Defense. It helps. You want to use as much melee as possible early, and avoid casting damage spells so that you'll have them later on. Get the Elemental Whirlpool upgrade for mass damage. If you luck into Portal of Earth, cast it. Buy out every damage and Cure spell from every scroll shop you see.

Also, pay attention to how the various enemy types interact. Gladiators are stronger when alone, for instance.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Anyone want to throw out some "low end" build? For example I can soul link Swordsman to my Adventurer, do I still keep beelining Legendary Hunter or do I change it up?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Anyone with tips for Bloody Fortress? Which statue do I want to level up? Which set should I keep? I'm running swordsman-zorro-zerg for now.

A good low end build is indeed adventurer plus swordsman, beelining for hunter. Another good build uses Swordsman's Duke of Destruction title, augmenting it with the Dragon Scale set when possible. I've also used the +Boss Damage title as swordsman.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Atoramos posted:

Anyone with tips for Bloody Fortress? Which statue do I want to level up? Which set should I keep? I'm running swordsman-zorro-zerg for now.

A good low end build is indeed adventurer plus swordsman, beelining for hunter. Another good build uses Swordsman's Duke of Destruction title, augmenting it with the Dragon Scale set when possible. I've also used the +Boss Damage title as swordsman.

Going from memory but Knight of the Nine works as well as the Eye Tyrant. Also, grab the sixth book.

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
Welp... it took me until Bloody Fortress to realize that your inventory just overflows to a second screen if it fills up. I just naturally assumed that what you see if what you get so I always aggressively kept my inventory low.

It probably should have dawned on me sooner since you cant get rid of items at all but... *shrug*

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Atoramos posted:

Is there some way to guarantee getting a dragon set? I figured store and their stock were purely RNG.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
On at least one run you'll want to go with the Lich King, since you need him at L20 to unlock his gumball. I tend to do either him or the purple lady.

The biggest thing is to always sacrifice whole sets; use the workshops to turn 1-1-3s and 1-2-2s into 1-2-3s. Do a practice run to fill in the first handful of entries in each book, then on your serious run throw some misc equipment at ones you're not using who have +Item% as early faith upgrades.

quote:

Is there some way to guarantee getting a dragon set? I figured store and their stock were purely RNG.

Only in the Lost Temple (the elemental altars generate guaranteed base equipment and workshops) and to a lesser extent the Pirate's Seaport (expensive shops, occasional workshop spawns).

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Going for Dragon Scale doesn't really work when starting out - once you've got a decent stable of gumballs adding their global bonuses, you can go quite far into a dungeon without having to commit fully to a specific build, so you can afford to wait and see if you get enough pieces to make it work. Even if you can gather all the slots, you will often need a lot of quenching essence which translates to a big pile of loot needed for disenchanting. If you build your set before reaching level 40, you got lucky.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Trinexx posted:

Welp... it took me until Bloody Fortress to realize that your inventory just overflows to a second screen if it fills up. I just naturally assumed that what you see if what you get so I always aggressively kept my inventory low.

It probably should have dawned on me sooner since you cant get rid of items at all but... *shrug*

Except you can disenchant 90% of them for exp :shrug:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Are there dp quests for exploring all the different branches of the talent trees?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Atoramos posted:

You want to use the specialty potion that gives +100% sacrifice EXP, and use the first charge(s) to level the gods that give +magic item find. I'm just about done with a run that hit every "hard" DP quest, so i'll give you some rough insight:

Main gumball: Adventurer (5* / maxed) -> Farplane Ranger
Gumball 1: Holy Warrior (3* / 150 initial EP) -> Sword Sage
Gumball 2: Zerg Queen (2* / 100 initial EP) -> Plane Prophet

Initial consumable: Demon's Cocktail
Initial relic: Any Neck or Boots. Ring also works if you don't mind fiddling with gear, but there are no worthwhile necks or boots from the normal course of events.

General strategy:

• Rush Farplane Ranger for souls from the side-rooms; each soul gives +50 favor when sacrificed. You can also get a few really good pieces of equipment this way from upgrading the dead-npc items.
  • Get the Lich and the Beholder to level 4+ early, for improved mage drops
  • Pop your first Demon's Cocktail once you see the Lich around floor 20+. Feed him everything; even unmatched items - the cocktail makes them as good as matched items, and your goal is to get him to at least Faith level 13. Continue feeding him paired items until he caps
  • Pop your second Demon's Cocktail once you have a decent stockpile for Heinhardt, and get him as high as possible to cut out reflect & counterattack damage
  • Pop your third Demon's cocktail on whoever you prefer - I did the Fire Elemental to disable the burning-floor damage and get more Power.
  • Once you have a decent amount of Power from Faith, fire off a Portal of Earth somewhere in the 50s or 60s. The rebound floors should be enough to cap the rest of your statues by the time you hit 70.

Keep your Noble's set equipped for purchases as long as it's feasible; you're not actually forced to break it until you cap the Beholder and get his belt.

Also, on floor 100F, I found this thing. I googled it and checked around, and no one seems to have any info on it. Any of you know what the deal is?

I put in the Key of Destruction, and it gave me +10 ATK and sat there ominously.

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 2, 2017

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
You find the keys here and there. Captain has a Key of Sky, I think the Creator gumball has one or two. The tooltips on the keys hint at an event that happens if you collect them all but supposedly it's not activated yet (or possible to trigger).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone want to throw out some "low end" build? For example I can soul link Swordsman to my Adventurer, do I still keep beelining Legendary Hunter or do I change it up?

I had better luck when I was starting with swordsman as the main and soul linking the adventurer. I went the knight-> silver knight -> royal knight -> fighter route. Silver knight really helps in the early game for stay alive. Fighter makes bosses quite a bit easier. Just always have stoneskin on while fighting bosses. Save flick knives for bosses. That build should be enough to get you to floor 50-60. Don't be afraid to use revive if you are close to some hard dp unlocks. Three revives unlocks a canas venture gumball that is really good.

Edit: also don't underestimate farplane ranger route for venture types. Those souls can get you some amazing nonsense. For example skeleton island has a 100 damage item you have pick up off a corpse. With farplane ranger it becomes a 999 damage item you can use three times. I believe all unique equipment/items have massively upgraded modes and the other corpse have decent buffs/upgrades.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 2, 2017

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Oh, hey, the Lich King gumball is kind of poorly translated (what else is new), but **very much in your favor**

What it says:

"You can summon a statue and it will give you level 2/4/6/8/10 Fliamir faith"

What it really means:

"You automatically start with level 2/4/6/8/10 Fliamir faith, and a statue will spawn every 10th floor [1F, 11F, 21F, etc] to let you take it further".

The base bonus stats, on floor 1, from a rank 5 Lich King unique ability are:

+200 EP
+1 ATK
+3 Power
+100 HP
+200 MP
+10% Air Spell effect
+5 MP/Floor

8x Lightning Bolt
5x Disrupting Ray
5x Meteor Shower

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 2, 2017

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Niton posted:

Oh, hey, the Lich King gumball is kind of poorly translated (what else is new), but **very much in your favor**

What it says:

"You can summon a statue and it will give you level 2/4/6/8/10 Fliamir faith"

What it really means:

"You automatically start with level 2/4/6/8/10 Fliamir faith, and a statue will spawn to let you take it further".

That's a crazy powerful sub-unit, holy crap.

e: unsure if more than 1 statue spawns

e2: yes, more than 1 statue can spawn!

Nice so lich king is pretty similar to genie. In case you don't know genie lets you summon the real genie once per level whenever you have 4 golden oils.

Usually I go the route:
Arabian Nights (+2 attack and power and one golden oil per 10 floors)
Ruby hat (60 hp)
Tin ring (+6 power)
Sinbad's glove (+12 attack and +6 power with set bonus)
Magic carpet (30 floor earth portal)
Then every 10 floor increase your power

Just don't upgrade the lamp it only decreases the cost of spell by 1 which is a very mediocre weapon.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The exception is if you're in Desert Oasis itself, in which case oh yes upgrade the lamp twice, because you'll want to use the Holy Oil eventually and a fully upgraded lamp there is a really nifty item.

EDIT: This nifty:
* Recover +6 MP each time you enter next floor of maze
* Lamp Oil Cost -1
* MP Cost -1
* Attack +15, Power +15
* HP +150, MP +150
* Immune to Reflect Damage, effect of Mana Stolen, effect of Rigid
* Increase the chance to loot Golden Lamp Oil by 100%

delfin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man here is pretty big tip. Any buff that is an up arrow symbol stacks. For example you can stack tarot's the fool, which is +9 defense and 50% long range reduction, with stoneskin.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

vulturesrow posted:

Are there dp quests for exploring all the different branches of the talent trees?

there are some honor-xp quests for titles, but no dp quests that i am aware of

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Do counterattacks always happen before attacks or just this one demon in the blood castle that curses you before he takes damage.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Shwqa posted:

Oh man here is pretty big tip. Any buff that is an up arrow symbol stacks. For example you can stack tarot's the fool, which is +9 defense and 50% long range reduction, with stoneskin.

The tarot seems to be super powerful, if you look at the rankings you will always see a few up there. Only issue is improving it is a pain, as it requires a ton of achievement points. I'm just about to get a 3* Tarot myself.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh man I finally unlock Spartan. I used used adventurer, holy warrior, zerg Queen. It was only at floor 30 did I realize holy warrior is literally the worst gumball to bring, his ability activates at 50% HP. I brought him to the dungeon where the boss kills you at 50% HP. But I got super lucky and dragon offered me his powers. Who has instant kill now dungeon!?

I took farplane ranger which was probably a mistake, yes a +6 power cape and spartan helm giving +5 attack per enemy in sight was nice, but they ended up getting replaced most of the time. Though the instant kill wicks really made floor 85-95 floor possible with zerg eggs.

Also total side note but summons including zerg eggs attack people in the stands. And that character gumballs can drop a fragment of themselves including premium gold pot gumballs.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
How does Defense work? I thought it would be a straight up reduction to damage taken, but watching the numbers in my last dungeon that did not seem to be the case. A mob that had 6 attack did 6 damage even though I had 6 Defense.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Koryk posted:

How does Defense work? I thought it would be a straight up reduction to damage taken, but watching the numbers in my last dungeon that did not seem to be the case. A mob that had 6 attack did 6 damage even though I had 6 Defense.

The attack you see is after defense. Try taking your defense providing armor off and look at the mob attack again.

n.b. Defense reduces mob attacks to a minimum of 1 ( a base 2 attack mob will still do 1 point of damage even if you have 10 defense ).

I think defense does not apply against poison or burning damage.

On a related note, boss damage is not "ranged damage." I got the consul's armor that reduces damage taken from range and equipped/unequipped it a couple of times when fighting a boss to check and the percent reduction for "ranged damage" was not applied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Shwqa posted:

I had better luck when I was starting with swordsman as the main and soul linking the adventurer. I went the knight-> silver knight -> royal knight -> fighter route. Silver knight really helps in the early game for stay alive. Fighter makes bosses quite a bit easier. Just always have stoneskin on while fighting bosses. Save flick knives for bosses. That build should be enough to get you to floor 50-60. Don't be afraid to use revive if you are close to some hard dp unlocks. Three revives unlocks a canas venture gumball that is really good.

Edit: also don't underestimate farplane ranger route for venture types. Those souls can get you some amazing nonsense. For example skeleton island has a 100 damage item you have pick up off a corpse. With farplane ranger it becomes a 999 damage item you can use three times. I believe all unique equipment/items have massively upgraded modes and the other corpse have decent buffs/upgrades.

Do you just fill out the Swordsman skills once you get to fighter?