Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What condition is that 5M in? We're looking for one for our '82 Supra (more like poopra) project.

In the interest of cross-provincial trade we should figure out a Greyhound deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
That 5m is slightly built but its going into my roommates cressida, but the motor we are taking out still runs mint, just leaks oil out of every seal. I would be willing to part with that one for cheap when it gets pulled.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

If you ever want to see the motor yourself or be able to find it I recommend attaching a GPS tracker and a long life battery. 14 and explodingsims both got screwed and so did my buddy Alex, who lost a military truck radiator worth 700+ dollars to the gorillas who load and unload Greyhound freight. They destroyed it and told him to suck a fat pimply dick when he called in a damage claim.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

If you ever want to see the motor yourself or be able to find it I recommend attaching a GPS tracker and a long life battery. 14 and explodingsims both got screwed and so did my buddy Alex, who lost a military truck radiator worth 700+ dollars to the gorillas who load and unload Greyhound freight. They destroyed it and told him to suck a fat pimply dick when he called in a damage claim.

This is Greyhound Canada, though, where they say "suck my diseased cock, sir."

Then they repeat it in French, just in case.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is Greyhound Canada, though, where they say "suck my diseased cock, sir."

Then they repeat it in French, just in case.

CECI N’EST PAS UNE BAGUETTE HON HON HON *gesticulates towards crotch*

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Happy new year.

Started up the corolla yesterday and the clutch fell to the floor.

The clutch slave poo poo the bed and leaked out all its juice. $30 for a new one and all is well.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So my mom just got a new car and is giving me her pt cruiser.

I know. At least its a 5 speed.

She ordered it new from the factory in 2002 it has just over 180k km and she has taken very good care of it. all maintenance records, interior and exterior are in amazing condition.
Needs a heater core and starter, then it should be an easy sell. Ill post pictures once i have it here.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

eberbs posted:

So my mom just got a new car and is giving me her pt cruiser.

I know. At least its a 5 speed.

She ordered it new from the factory in 2002 it has just over 180k km and she has taken very good care of it. all maintenance records, interior and exterior are in amazing condition.
Needs a heater core and starter, then it should be an easy sell. Ill post pictures once i have it here.

I think Regular Car Reviews' "ode to the free/cheap PT Cruiser" is apropriate here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoxqtnI4I4c&t=338s

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got the pt today

Complete with original window sticker, car cover bra and every single recipe for everything.

Heater core is on order and should have it done in the next week when i have time.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Started removing the dash on the PT. pain in the rear end but still not as bad as the eagle.

Only thing i have yet to figure out is how im going to discharge the a/c. I have a vacuum pump for a/c but none of the connectors\hoses or gauge set.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

eberbs posted:

Only thing i have yet to figure out is how im going to discharge the a/c. I have a vacuum pump for a/c but none of the connectors\hoses or gauge set.

Find a car that needs an AC recharge and hook Canadian Tire recharge kit hoses up like boosting a battery. :colbert:

I actually wonder if that would work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You could find a way to make it work by doing that and jumping only the high pressure line from the donor car to the recipient, but you'd need a valve in the middle since you'd spray everywhere connecting or disconnecting one end at a time.

Many shops will do a discharge for you and then recharge after you do the repairs for one refill fee or that plus a little more. Just gotta be friendly and explain what you're doing.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

discharged the a/c. I wont go into detail but it involved a long hose.

Got the core out finally. Such a pain in the rear end.

New one should be here tomorrow. Not looking forward to putting it back together.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Is the Eagle in the queue for Regular Car Reviews? It'd be an awesome loving fit for that show if they ever hit the PNW/Western Canada.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

eberbs posted:

discharged the a/c. I wont go into detail but it involved a long hose.

How much of that random neighborhood in Mexico got sprayed with UV dye? :v:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

The loser cruiser is coming back together

and in other news I got another $100 F-150. its a 94 i think. 351 V8 2wd auto, not sure what it needs but it was someones daily untill they got it impounded.

its filled with a bunch of tools and old copper pipe. Ill have more details when i take delivery of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Scrapper? Be interesting to see what you could get for the pipe. Do you even have metal scrapyards on the island?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Scrapper? Be interesting to see what you could get for the pipe. Do you even have metal scrapyards on the island?

there are 2 local metal recycling yards. Should help offset the purchase price a little. Came with a pair of spare wheels and tires too so a greasy smoke show is in the near future.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Should be getting the ford tomorrow. Fingers crossed its not another chevy blazer (from one of my previous threads).

Been doing work for my brothers concrete business, mechanical maintenance and the the like, today's job was a tune up and blade change on one of his power trowels.

The old blades are over 5 years old.

Gave it an oil change, grease and fixed the kill switch

And bought a new grease gun so i could giver a good greasing.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got the ford. After cleaning out all the garbage and poo poo i found some cool stuff.

A swiss nut lathe

mmm copper and brass

Interior isn't t bag

Cool clock

needs a wash but its in better shape than i thought

old brass fire hose nozzle.

351 gas guzzler

old rear end 1930's ford v8 book

trains!

box of tools that look like they were found on the titanic

some cool plates

more tools and a bunch of safety sunglasses

plugged in my ghetto ford code reader and got egr codes, not that surprising it has a huge exhaust leak at the header to downpipe connection.

Issues so far are:

-loose as gently caress steering, but thats classic ford
-air bag light is on because the po put a new ignition barrel in and clearly hosed it up
-has dual gas tanks but when you switch to the rear tank it sputters and runs like poo poo
-coolant leak at the t-stat, easy fix
-front tires are bald as gently caress but has a set of good tires in the back
-over drive dosnt work, could be a wire in the shifter related to the air bag\ ignition situation

Seems to drive alright all things considered, should be an easy sell once i fix a few of the issues.
Also came with a set of new front pads and it has a newer master cylinder\booster in it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That looks so much like my stepdad's old F-150. His was a 92 extended cab, 351, dual tanks.

It had a weird issue where if you bumped the O/D off switch (or even just slammed it into gear too hard), it would pop the fuse for the cluster, and the trans wouldn't shift on its own (or go into 4th) until you replaced the fuse. Steering was more of a suggestion of a general direction; bad enough that he got pulled over pretty regularly because people thought he was drunk and called him in.

It was a pretty solid truck aside from that... except when the transmission poo poo the bed on a road trip (at about 200k). You usually expect a transmission to slowly wear out, or at least give some warning signs. Nope, it just decided "no more moving" while driving home from visiting his family. No warning whatsoever. (TBF he was pulling a ~15k lbs power washing trailer with it for a long time, with no added cooler....)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
A truck at work had the venerable piece of poo poo e4od transmission that went from "fine" to "not fine" without much warning. Dude said it started to shift funny, so he slowed down to get it to a safe place to stop. Made 30 seconds, and then it just didn't anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That clock should 100% be mounted right in the middle of the dash.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

so i found out there are actually 3 local scrap yards and funny enough i now work for one of them. Its an auto wrecker\metal recycling scrap yard\ scrap car towing. things are going to get interesting very soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

eberbs posted:

so i found out there are actually 3 local scrap yards and funny enough i now work for one of them. Its an auto wrecker\metal recycling scrap yard\ scrap car towing. things are going to get interesting very soon.

This is good.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

eberbs posted:

:justpost: :justpost: :justpost:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

My new job required an air brake endorsement so this weekend is spent at a trucking school. Gonna be driving some neat trucks.

My brother brought me a gas tamper to fix.

Motor is locked up and the "oil" is just mud

just gonna go to princess auto and get a power fist motor for it.

Also did the front brakes and lubed the ford. It defiantly needs a steering box and tie rods. I should be able to get most of the other parts i might need from work now. Oh and it loving sucks back gas like a loving pig.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

First off, this thread is fantastic!

eberbs posted:

My new job required an air brake endorsement so this weekend is spent at a trucking school. Gonna be driving some neat trucks.

Don't pump the brakes and lose air pressure, make sure your slack adjusters aren't broken. Bam, just passed your air brakes endorsement.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

just put in a few hours on the pt loser and got it buttoned up. just need to insure it now.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Passed my air brakes.

hosed around with the tamper today. poured some atf into the spark plug hole and unseized it, ran a quart of oil through it to try and clean a bit of the poo poo out, cleaned out the carb and jet and she's running like a champ. Gonna let it ride till she really blows then do the power fist swap.

Float bowl

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Learning the ropes at the new job and today was processing scrap cars

one of the more entertaining jobs is using the tire crusher, basically a giant log splitter. Crushed a 22.5 super single and some old split rims in this monster.

part of my job is doing garbage pickup a few times a week and get to drive this beast

10 tonne, front wheel drive on super singles. still getting used to driving right hand drive while standing.

This picture is the inside of one of the other trucks, a 16 tonne international

Also get to drive a sweet old 5 speed international flat bed tow truck, full size case excavator and a few different fork lifts as well as some crane\ claw trucks for picking up scrap metal. Best job I have ever had.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's crazy how much traction those garbage trucks have. I saw one today whip over an ice-covered sidewalk, no countersteer.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Finding all sorts of treasures around the scrap yard, lots of this stuff has been sitting 10+ years

fat stack

mcfly toyota (body damage and frame rust)

not so super duty (lime green 3rd gen rx7 wide body on top of the pile)

and a radial engine

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eberbs posted:

and in other news I got another $100 F-150. its a 94 i think. 351 V8 2wd auto, not sure what it needs but it was someones daily untill they got it impounded.

How exactly do you purchase impounded cars? I could use a cheap piece of poo poo winter beater.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

fakeaccount posted:

How exactly do you purchase impounded cars? I could use a cheap piece of poo poo winter beater.

most tow yards hold auctions for cars that have been abandoned, its almost never advertised but if you call the tow yards and ask they should let you know. Also it can be a bit of a gamble as the car could be a massive poo poo heap. I have been burned a few times, but sometimes you hit the jackpot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My city's parking authority also usually has an auction every month for impounded cars. It used to be an okay deal, but now that they've set a $500 minimum bid you are almost guaranteed to get screwed.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

My city's parking authority also usually has an auction every month for impounded cars. It used to be an okay deal, but now that they've set a $500 minimum bid you are almost guaranteed to get screwed.

A friend of mine is in his 60's, when he was in his early 20's his car was stolen. It was a POS and somehow the cops never found it, which is weird since about a year later he saw it parked at a local store. He knew it was his car since it had an oddly specific dent. He grabbed his spare key, fired it up, and drove home. The next day he was arrested for stealing a car... His car... It ended up impounded and auctioned off! I guess the cops did a good job identifying the "stolen car" the second time around...
I've always been afraid of something like that buying impound cars.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

fakeaccount posted:

Do a location based search on https://www.govdeals.com/

My local police and sheriff departments auction off seized/impounded vehicles there on the regular.

You can also see some pretty obvious "drugs hidden in body panels" seizures like this one: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=2625&acctid=176

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 9, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They also require the car be towed to your home address by their contractor, which is a guaranteed $100+ bill and you're hosed if you don't live in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Powershift posted:

They also require the car be towed to your home address by their contractor, which is a guaranteed $100+ bill and you're hosed if you don't live in the city.

Counterpoint: you can buy a garbage truck or a street sweeper

Not this week, but they often have fire trucks too. From here.

• Locked thread