Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

this is a stickup posted:

I can stop replying to you if you want

That's completely missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

King Burgundy posted:

I'm not seeing anything that really changes my mind on AR.

MMT, I'm curious, now that you see AR admitting he was lying, does that change your read of him?

I just saw this but I think I answered it elsewhere - no, if anything, his admitting that he was lying makes me feel more like he's town. I don't think scum would try to make a case based on fake information on D1 (as opposed to, say, hopping on another easy case and hoping not to get noticed).

Atomic Soda posted:

i don't think pod is suss for pursuing this and will vote. i'm interested that you think this case is weak enough to vote pod for it mmt.

##vote ar

Atomic Soda posted:

agree it would be good to have pod come back and comment. any town read i have at this stage of the game is very weak i can sssure you.

My original case on Pod was based on the fact that he was projecting confidence about AR being scum in a way that felt fake to me. Until very recently he hadn't responded to the case, so it was perfectly reasonable for me to believe that scum-Pod was waiting for pressure to build elsewhere before addressing my case.

I'm also now pretty suspicious of AS* - she went from "Pod is not suspicious" to "I'm reserving judgement until Pod posts" when asked to explain her read there. It sounds like a faked opinion to me.

*(female pronouns, correct? :j:)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok all set. I'm cooling on AR but I really don't like how he's approached this game - the 'oh lol I was trying to draw a nk!' gimmick doesn't sit well with me but it DOES make sense as a VT. I agree with Tobbs (I think it was Tobbs that said this?) that a scum AR would be a bit madder about getting so many votes on D1. I want to see what kind of actual casework he can come up with since, if we're being honest, I find his petulance really irritating. Example:

Absurd Revolver posted:

welp

really should stop playing this game if this is how any effort i put in is perceived

or maybe i should just go back to shitposting no-content all game

either way, i'm not your best choice

You put no effort in whatsoever other than what you claim were jokeposts and flailing that sucked up attention as a purported VT for most of D1 rather than contributing to genuine scumhunting. Do better. Who do you think the scum are, AR?

---

As for others... MMT's push on me feels reasonable for now - her thought process makes sense, given how the AR stuff has evolved. (You're wrong though!)

I continue to think Tobbs and Byers' approaches to this game read as genuine, even if Tobbs' attempts to divine the setup are way too early. We'll have much more information on Day 2.

I'm fine to table Kash till D2 especially with anti-lurker rules in effect (because hey, he's going to start Day 2 On Notice!)

You know whose posting I don't care for? Li Dawny's, OMG's, and Infinitum's. Check their histories out:

LD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803358&userid=198933
Characterized by weak engagement with the AR push where she contradicts herself ("Also, I hate when an AR push begins to make sense because I hate voting for him because he's the bestist, but I will if needed for a lynch or if I truly believe he is scum. Right now I just think it's possible that I share a bed with a trader.") and a vote on Byers for trying to drive the conversation, which I don't agree with at all. The only thing that gives me pause is I've called her out for this before in other games and she's been just lurky town. It's not a slam dunk.

OMG: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803358&userid=46140
Piles on the AR case as Tobbs pointed out, and hella OMGUS on Tobbs - the scum call on Tobbs makes no sense whatsoever.

Inf: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803358&userid=60088
Tunnels on Tobbs for stupid reasons (which is admittedly a null tell for him) and has otherwise not engaged with this game at all. I'm used to Inf being more active as a town player, so it weirds me out to see him so quiet while all this is going on.

Between the three I'd ##vote OMG. Would like to see more from each of them before the day's out.

Preview Edit: Let me go reread Atomic Soda, they were a null read for me earlier.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey MMT what did you say your scumtell was at the meetup? I must have missed that, so I'm curious now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I will have opinions tonight I think :sun:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm also now pretty suspicious of AS* - she went from "Pod is not suspicious" to "I'm reserving judgement until Pod posts" when asked to explain her read there. It sounds like a faked opinion to me.

Could you please point out where you got the latter of these two sentiments? I'm not seeing it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, Atomic Soda, why did you specifically mention Kash and KB here?

Atomic Soda posted:

i don't think i agree with you on ar and lil dawney at this stage - little dawney esp. said the idea was a bad one which doesn't fit your read of scum hedging and hoping others claim. it would be more advantageous to say nothing i think.

the stickup case is a little more convincing. however the 'one of these three are scum' call is suss to me generally, can easily be used by scum - for example, you could be scum with ar, throwing his name into the ring for cover/bus cred, and both gunning for stickup.

obviously this is early game yet. i will be interested to see what kash and kb say..

hello also : )

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Podima posted:

Hey MMT what did you say your scumtell was at the meetup? I must have missed that, so I'm curious now.

When I'm going through a stressful period in my life*, if I'm town I will put a ton of effort in and be engaged and appreciate the distraction, whereas if I'm scum I'll see it as one more stressful thing to do and miserably limp along until I either mess up or freak/replace out. Admittedly though I like sharing my tells as a way to motivate myself to change them, so make of that what you will.

That said I'm gonna be out for awhile but should be around for deadline.

*(I have been stranded at my boyfriends moms house without a car for the last four days, including New Years Eve)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Podima posted:

OMG: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803358&userid=46140
Piles on the AR case as Tobbs pointed out, and hella OMGUS on Tobbs - the scum call on Tobbs makes no sense whatsoever.

Between the three I'd ##vote OMG. Would like to see more from each of them before the day's out.

yeah, logged in today with the intent to backpedal on that. i worked basically 48 hours straight from the 30th to the 1st minus a couple 2-4 hour nap breaks. I was tired, which magnified my frustration with people not accepting what seemed (and still seems) like a scumslip on AR's part. When I got accused of empty voting i blew my top. In retrospect, yeah, a joke making fun of how flimsy AR's defense felt wasn't clear enough and I can easily see how that came off as an empty vote. I was feeling real punchy because of work & tobbs just ended up in my crosshairs. My "read" on him was bullshit and I can't really argue with it making me look scummy.

AR's "theorizing" about scum flavor still pings me badly enough on a reread that I'm not going to unvote, but I am going to check myself and reread the other cases.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Podima posted:

Could you please point out where you got the latter of these two sentiments? I'm not seeing it.

On a phone but I was referring to the last AS quote I used. She said she wasn't suspicious of you, I asked why not, and her answer was "it was be good for pod to comment, any town read I have is weak".

It makes me feel like the original "I don't find pod suspicious" was an organic opinion.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ok, back from work... and no one has commented either way on my stickup case? I'm feeling much like at my high school prom, marginalized, overlooked on the sidelines, and not neither drunk enough.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Okay, home from work and catching up. I'm still feeling Byers for his(?) continuous pushing on everyone because it feels, to me, like like he's trying to muddy the waters more than clear them.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Li Dawny posted:

Okay, home from work and catching up. I'm still feeling Byers for his(?) continuous pushing on everyone because it feels, to me, like like he's trying to muddy the waters more than clear them.

Yeah, his. And I'm not sure how to respond to that casing, honestly.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Murmur Twin posted:

I just saw this but I think I answered it elsewhere - no, if anything, his admitting that he was lying makes me feel more like he's town. I don't think scum would try to make a case based on fake information on D1 (as opposed to, say, hopping on another easy case and hoping not to get noticed).

My original case on Pod was based on the fact that he was projecting confidence about AR being scum in a way that felt fake to me. Until very recently he hadn't responded to the case, so it was perfectly reasonable for me to believe that scum-Pod was waiting for pressure to build elsewhere before addressing my case.

*(female pronouns, correct? :j:)

she yes :)

sneaky sneaky mmt - you where the one who said i had a town read on pod, i was simply correcting your assumption.

here is what i said originally (references to pod only)

Atomic Soda posted:

i went and had a look at pods posts. his ar case is basic sure but is in response to some pretty scummy ar posting.

i agree with pod that this is a pretty suss response.

i don't think pod is suss for pursuing this and will vote. i'm interested that you think this case is weak enough to vote pod for it mmt.

strongest statement there is that pod is not suss to me for pursing an arguement that ar is scum. i don't find him suss for pursing the arguement, cause i can see it too.

you say:

Murmur Twin posted:

Not only did I think the case was weak when other people made it, the fact that your read was basically just reciting the case that had been made on AR makes me suspicious of you as well.

I understand having a null read on Pod, but I don't see how you can possibly have a town read there. Podima made a case on AR and then vanished when I accused it of being suspicious, how does that absolve him from possibly being scum?

my response:

Atomic Soda posted:

why do you think this case is weak enough for you to vote por? as you say a few people see to be noting the same issues. my only niggle is that ar could just have made a posting fumble, but he's doubled down.

agree it would be good to have pod come back and comment. any town read i have at this stage of the game is very weak i can sssure you.

now you are saying i'm suss for waffling on pod? from where i am sitting it looks very much like i'm saying i don't find his arguement suspicious and in fact agree with it. you are the one that says this must mean i have a town read on pod, and then using that statement to say i'm waffling when i address your statement in my next post?

here is an actual waffle. coming around to ar not being scum, not because i think the case is bad (its as good as any on day 1) but because his more recent posts seem genuine.

for now ##unvote ##vote mmt you are being too suspicious

also, all my opinions are organic in mafia

Podima posted:

Hey, Atomic Soda, why did you specifically mention Kash and KB here?

because they hadn't really posted yet and i know they can be prolific and helpful posters. plus i'm paranoid of them as scum, so throwing that note out there.

pedit: between byers and stickup i'd be more inclined to vote byers at the moment but i'm not sold on either of them frankly

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
##vote Podima get fukt nice guy.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Kashuno posted:

##vote Podima get fukt nice guy.

Wha...?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
after a reread, outside my current vote, the cases that seem the most compelling to me are dawny against byers and byers against stickup

[*]byers voted tobbs because tobbs’ push to have vanilla claim seemed scummy, but retracted it when other people gave meta reads on tobbs sayin nah

[*]byers then

Byers2142 posted:

We're a little over seven hours from deadline, I'd ask everyone to take another look at stickup before we get to the "one hour to deadline, who can we realistic lynch" part of D1. Just as a short tl:dr version of what I'm seeing:
  • His "sure turbo me" post felt like a passive defense moreso than a joke, and he admitted to considering that it was something he could agree to without it likely to happen
  • My gut still doesn't like his post on Tobbs, although rationally I can't explain it given his future discussion with me on it.
  • The post where he linked AR as town meaning MT is scum is a huge red flag, especially with AR as the vote leader at the time.
  • The way I seem to float to the top of his suspicion list every time I put pressure on him, but apparently drop off when I stop.

[*]dawny voted byers cause she says he’s waffling and not committing to anything, sounds like he’s trying to deliberately steer the conversation nowhere. i am the bird agrees.

i think Byers isn't wrong to be unnerved by stickup, and i think dawny is right that byers is waffling, but neither feels like as much of a red flag as this:

Absurd Revolver posted:

this is scum post, knowing what i know from my own PM

##vote stickup

Absurd Revolver posted:

Atomic Soda posted:

hey ar why are you surmising all town players are boring also?

this however wasn't a joke

I believe scum are not boring, and town got "boring" flavors

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Li Dawny posted:

Who else do you think is scum? Byers has been pretty upfront in his posting and analysis, and this feels like you're not actually reading his posts or the thread at all.

---

Also not loving MMT's rephrasing of Atomic Soda's posts, I agree with AS's concerns there - that's why I asked what I did.

---

OMG, explain to me why you think that's a scumslip, please?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be around off and on till deadline, I'm binging on Society Game for my last day off before work hell starts again.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Podima posted:

I'm not sure I get that, either, didn't scum get fakeclaims?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Podima posted:

Initially, because "scum flavor is this, town flavor is that" just seemed like a ridiculous thing for a townie to say. It was furthered when he was asked to explain and he waffled and gave no reasons beyond repeating himself, then said explaining would be detrimental to town. It feels bogus.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Podima posted:

Who else do you think is scum? Byers has been pretty upfront in his posting and analysis, and this feels like you're not actually reading his posts or the thread at all.

He starts with a vote for Tobbs, then a recant as soon as someone disagreed. He didn't even defend his thoughts, just jumped right off the Tobbs push. While jumping off theTobbs push he said he read AR as joke voty, then nine minutes later said AR was one of three scum options. From that he spent a lot of time saying almost nothing and is now voting for Stickup, who was his best bet. I just feel like he's repeating himself in different ways to seem like he's saying more than he is.

Also, sorry, Westworld is so good.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Li Dawny posted:

He starts with a vote for Tobbs, then a recant as soon as someone disagreed. He didn't even defend his thoughts, just jumped right off the Tobbs push. While jumping off theTobbs push he said he read AR as joke voty, then nine minutes later said AR was one of three scum options. From that he spent a lot of time saying almost nothing and is now voting for Stickup, who was his best bet. I just feel like he's repeating himself in different ways to seem like he's saying more than he is.

Two people disagreed, specifically, on Tobbs, which means at least one person is saying that with no chance of all three being in a team together. There was a good chance on my read being wrong, so I moved off of it. The reason I quoted AR as one of three was separate from the flavor case, which AR himself has said was a jokevote to start that turned serious, so I don't see any cognitive dissonance in those two stances.. And I feel like I've said quite a bit about the game since then, looking at the role/flavor difference once AR got serious and trying to get a handle on people's posts.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Also, we're now 45 minutes to deadline.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Initially, because "scum flavor is this, town flavor is that" just seemed like a ridiculous thing for a townie to say. It was furthered when he was asked to explain and he waffled and gave no reasons beyond repeating himself, then said explaining would be detrimental to town. It feels bogus.

That's not a scumslip. You're just repeating other people's cases.

OMG is the vote for today.

---

Li Dawny posted:

I'll ask you again - who else do you think is scum?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Votecount for Day 1

OMGVBFLOL (3): this is a stickup, this is a stickup, Tobbs Gnawed, Absurd Revolver, Podima
Absurd Revolver (3): this is a stickup, Podima, King Burgundy, OMGVBFLOL, Atomic Soda, Podima, Atomic Soda
Podima (2): Murmur Twin, Kashuno
Byers2142 (2): i am the bird, Li Dawny
this is a stickup (1): Infinitum, OMGVBFLOL, Absurd Revolver, Infinitum, Absurd Revolver, OMGVBFLOL, Byers2142
Tobbs Gnawed (1): Infinitum, i am the bird, Byers2142, Byers2142, i am the bird
Murmur Twin (1): Atomic Soda
King Burgundy (0): Murmur Twin, Tobbs Gnawed, Murmur Twin, Tobbs Gnawed

Not Voting (0):

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is January 02nd, 2017 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 41 minutes.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Podima posted:

Ok all set. I'm cooling on AR but I really don't like how he's approached this game - the 'oh lol I was trying to draw a nk!' gimmick doesn't sit well with me but it DOES make sense as a VT. I agree with Tobbs (I think it was Tobbs that said this?) that a scum AR would be a bit madder about getting so many votes on D1. I want to see what kind of actual casework he can come up with since, if we're being honest, I find his petulance really irritating. Example:

You put no effort in whatsoever other than what you claim were jokeposts and flailing that sucked up attention as a purported VT for most of D1 rather than contributing to genuine scumhunting. Do better. Who do you think the scum are, AR?

yeah this is the first game in awhile where i've wanted to put effort in, but i'm rusty.

fair is fair.

i do believe OMG is still the best vote, both for their emotional reaction to the vote against them and how they've defended themselves by attacking others, only to attempt to make some kind of halfassed apology afterwards

tobbs is a little suspect but not particularly out of the ordinary for town

and as much as it pains me, i don't like how dawny's been posting this game either, but at the same time it's also her first game in awhile

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Infinitum has been posting elsewhere on the forums constantly and avoiding this thread. He's probably lurking scum, but I don't think we have the votes for it right now.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Revolver posted:

and as much as it pains me, i don't like how dawny's been posting this game either, but at the same time it's also her first game in awhile

Can you expand on this, please? What don't you like about her posting?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Podima posted:

Also, Infinitum has been posting elsewhere on the forums constantly and avoiding this thread. He's probably lurking scum, but I don't think we have the votes for it right now.

Wait, really?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Byers: I'll reread Stickup tomorrow, but I'm currently null on them without a reread. Table it for later? What do you think about the two top lynch candidates at the moment?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Byers2142 posted:

Wait, really?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=60088

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Podima posted:

Byers: I'll reread Stickup tomorrow, but I'm currently null on them without a reread. Table it for later? What do you think about the two top lynch candidates at the moment?

I'd go AR over OMG, but will vote either to avoid a no lynch in this game.

I'd rather stickup or (given his posting elsewhere and not here) Inf over either of them and be more happy about it.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
welp, thought the deadline was an hour later. luckily I finished translating early and checked the thread

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and he's in The Game Room right now. ##vote Infinitum

I'll be here right up to deadline and can swap back as needed. I'm fine with an OMG vote but if we can somehow swing to Inf that would be neat.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Even leaving aside his absence, Inf's posting has consisted mainly of tunneling on Tobbs.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Byers2142 posted:

I'd go AR over OMG, but will vote either to avoid a no lynch in this game.

I'd rather stickup or (given his posting elsewhere and not here) Inf over either of them and be more happy about it.

Could you briefly expand on why AR over OMG?

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Podima posted:

I'll ask you again - who else do you think is scum?

I mean, I don't really know. It's all day one picking, evenmy feelings on Byers are grasping at the almost nothing we have and trying to force it into something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Podima posted:

Podima posted:

Oh, and he's in The Game Room right now. ##vote Infinitum

I'll be here right up to deadline and can swap back as needed. I'm fine with an OMG vote but if we can somehow swing to Inf that would be neat.

Yeah it's because I'm in the game room reading the thread as I just woke up.

Last game I was scum in I was posting a bunch.
I'm just tired from New Years and family fun mate.

Tobbs is scum. I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Byers2142 posted:

Even leaving aside his absence, Inf's posting has consisted mainly of tunneling on Tobbs.

He's my D1 pick because of scummy behaviour :shrug:

• Locked thread