Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluffieDuckie

Welcome to the official byob 2017 new years resolution thread!

Rules:

(1) post in this thread indicating what your resolution will be and how you will measure success/effort.

(2) ONCE A WEEK update that post with your weekly update. It will be impossible to track down everyone's posts to see if they updated us, so please put the updates in your sign up post

(3) everyone who TRIES will get a free tag that looks like this

Trying means you update us every week and tell us how you did. Humans are not perfect. You're going to eat that piece of birthday cake. Trying means you don't throw your hands up after you eat the cake and go "welp i give up". Post in your weekly update "i did pretty well except on tuesday i ate a piece of cake". Then keep trying

If you miss a weekly update you don't go "welp see i'll never do it" and you walk away. as soon as you remember you pop in and give an update and work harder to remember next time.

(4) contest starts now and ends at the end of March. Yes you have to do it that long because actually changing things takes a long time. Yes this is a long time for byob to keep interested in something. You're going to EARN that tag and you're going to be a better person for it.

(5) pick something accomplishable. you're not going to stop smoking, drinking, smoking weed, and lose 50 pounds this month. please don't set yourself up to fail.

(6) there will be special prizes for super achievers. more on that later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

I'm in!

My goals

(1) holy cow have i gained some weight this holiday. Starting NOW, i'm going to start getting my eating under control by using myfitnesspal to track everything i eat. I will set up an account that anyone can look at. that will for sure keep me in line.

(2) i hurt my foot again and that's kept me out of the gym which is compounding the problem in number 1. i'm going to find something active to do that i can do with a bum foot and do that at least 3 times a week. I will enter that activity into myfitnesspal.

(3) i need a job. paid or volunteer. i have got to do something positive to make the world a better place. i will spend at least 2 hours a week working on my resume and job hunting. this isn't a lot of time and i expect i'll spend more time, but we're starting with baby steps here. I will report my progress to this thread weekly.

-------

1/7/17 report

(1) my calorie intake since starting tracking

i don't even want to talk about new years eve, but other than that i'm pretty drat proud of myself

(2) gah. i made it to the gym once this week instead of 3 times. i'm not proud of this but it's largely related to my kickassedness on number 3

(3) my goal was to work at least 2 hours a week on my resume and job search. instead i spent all day one day editing my resume and cover letter, sent them in to a volunteer job posting, had an interview on thursday, and started the job on friday. it's a volunteer finance associate at a small non profit who's doing some great things with refugees and immigrants. it's supposed to be 10 hours a week, so 2 5 hour days, but starting monday i'm the ONLY finance person they have and their books are a mess so i'm afraid this is going to turn into a THING. but for now we're going to call this resolution ACHIEVED.

-------

1/14/17 report

holy hell what a bad week

(1) i only tracked calories 4 out of the 7 days this last week. i'm at that critical point where i jump back on that horse or say gently caress it, so i'm jumping back on it. strangely i got on the scale and i've lost 5 pounds since we started this so clearly something's working so i'm trying hard not to beat myself up too much over this

(2) ok so i worked out 3 times this week but only because our back fence blew down in the storm and now i have to walk the dogs 4 times a day. which is awful for my foot so i have an appointment to get steroid shots in my foot on monday. so let's call this one acheived only because life forced me to

(3) welp after getting a look at the financial records at my new company i walked out, had a long conversation with the HR manager highlighting all the legal problems they were headed for, and never went back. let's just say they've been misstating revenues to the IRS for many many years and have no backup so they're headed for the kind of headache no sane person would sign up for, especially for free. i'm going to catch my breath after that one but at least i have a good resume and cover letter format for when i'm ready to try again. this time i'm only applying to nonprofits with audited records. i guess learning is a good thing.

-----

week 3 report

welp. i thought last week was bad. i'm lucky to have survived this week. seriously. that should be my accomplishment. still alive

(1) tracked calories 4 out of the 7 days. lost another pound, but that was just pure luck i think

(2) finally bit the bullet and got steroid shots in the arch of my foot. i got tired of not being able to do normal things. this meant i did nothing active and instead sat on the couch with a swollen foot, but i'm set up to get back in the gym next week

(3) looked online for jobs my required 2 hours but after the last disaster, i'm being super careful who i'm getting involved with, so i didn't apply anywhere

next week has to be better right?

-----

week 4 report

(1) tracked calories 5 out of 7 days. overall i did "ok". still struggling with this one a bit

(2) worked out 3 out of 3 days this week (whoop!). hopefully i have this one under control now

(3) i've decided that what i'm trying to do is look for something valuable to do that doesn't actually have to be "a job". so i've started getting involved in some activism activities. I put in way more than 2 hours this week, including protesting at sfo this weekend and attending a conference call on upcoming events. I have a little transportation problem getting to some of these, but i'm definitely "on track" on this one

---

week 5 report

(1) tracked calories 4/7 days but i should get credit for 5 bc one day myfitnesspal was dead

(2) went to the gym 3/3 days this week, plus tried to be "active" most other days

(3) putting in way more than my 2 hours a week on activism activities. I'm calling my representatives daily. I'm attending planning calls. I've resolved my transportation problem into the city so I'll be starting going up there next week.

in general things are pretty good. next week i'm focusing more on my eating. just went to the grocery and bought super healthy stuff so let's see how that goes

---

week 6 report

I was sick every day this week so my biggest accomplishment was surviving

(1) tracked calories 0/7 days but didn't eat much so i think i accomplished this in spirit

(2) went the the gym 0/3 days. walking accross the house was exercise enough thank you

(3) actually accomplished this one. Went to a meeting where i got lots of good activist info. since we don't talk politics here, feel free to pm or email me for a list of good online resources for people wanting to get involved. also spent my sitting on the couch time to do some planning. so i spent way more than my 2 hours on this this week.

----

extremely late week 7 report

(1) tracked calories 4/7 days. part of that was because i was sick, part was because i'm just really off track over here

(2) went to the gym 0/3 days. since i'm posting this late i can give you the spoiler that i'm turning that around this coming week

(3) omg I'm all over this one. I'm making at least 3 calls a day, sending out 2-4 postcards a day, and sat in on 2 conference calls. I work at least 3 hours a day gathering info and generally making myself a pain in the rear end for elected officials everywhere.

-----

only moderately late week 8 report

(1) tracked calories 3/7 days.

(2) went to gym or exercised in some way 4/3 days (yay)

(3) went to 1 protest and spent at least 2 hours a day making calls, sending postcards, and listening to conference calls.

___

week 9 reports

(1) tracked calories none days this weeek. I was finding that tracking calories was actually causing more problems than it solved bc as soon as i went over on calories one day i'd be like "Well hell i guess this day is blown" and then i'd eat all the food i could find. so now i'm just trying to make smart choices one by one. like having salmon at the italian restaurant instead of pasta. i'd say that's working way better so i'm going to stick with that

(2) exercised 3/3 days

(3) continue to kick butt on this one. spend at least 2 hours a day every morning on calls/postcards/etc, went to a town hall, went to an org meeting for a new group starting up.

_____

week 10 report

(1) tracked none, but my eating has been much healthier since i stopped obsessing about it

(2) exerceised 3/3 days

(3) went to protest, attended 2 meetings, made countless phone calls, mailed 12 postcards.

------

Week 11 report

(1) I don't want to talk about it

(2) exercised 2/3 days

(3) made 12 phone calls, sent 10 postcards, and attended 1 meeting

FluffieDuckie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I'm in!

I only will have one resolution, and it's going to be a simple one to beat. However, it's my first resolution that I will have to actually do something to achieve! (Previous resolutions have been to breathe at least once for 365 days straight and quit smoking (before I ever started smoking))

For 2017, I, I Was the Fury, hereby resolve to walk 500 miles in my free time. I am going to count any running as part of that goal. Bringing the dog along is optional, but preferred. I am making this my resolution because in the past year I lost 10 pounds when I started my new job, gained 45 when I got comfortable there, and have lost 20 in the last 5 months once I noticed a lot of extra me that hadn't been there before. I think having a consistent exercise schedule, as low-intensity as it is, is a good starting point for the healthy lifestyle I would like to lead.

For tracking, I will post screenshots from my pedometer app that list the distance I have walked. I will try to update weekly but in case I miss several in a row the app also tracks by month so I can post that instead.

Good luck to all of you, my friends!

Week 1:

I downloaded a new pedometer app to track my steps, since the other one I was using didn't have a weekly report that would add it all up for me. It looks like the new app also is either way more accurate, or thinks I have little bitty steps because my average has dropped by like 2 miles a day, even though I am walking the same amount. Either way I'm pretty proud of this first week, and will round down for convenience.
Total at week 1: 27 miles done, 473 miles remaining.

Week2:

Total at week 2: 54 miles done, 446 miles remaining

Week 3:

Total at week 3: 80 miles done, 420 (!) miles left

Week 4:

Total at week 4: 106 miles done, 394 miles remaining.

Week 5:

Total at week 5: 132 miles done. 368 miles remaining.

Week 6:

Total at week 6: 163 miles done. 337 miles remaining.

Week 7:

Total at week 7: 192 miles done. 308 miles remaining.

Week 8:

Total at week 8: 218 miles done. 282 miles remaining.

Week 9:

Total at week 9: 240 miles done. 260 miles remaining.

Week 10:

Total at week 10: 267 miles done. 233 miles remaining

Week 11:

Total at week 11: 293 miles done. 207 miles remaining.

Week 12:

Total at week 12: 321 miles done. 179 miles remaining.

Week 13:

Total at week 13: 373 miles done. 127 miles remaining.

I Was The Fury fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 2, 2017

FluffieDuckie

yipee!

i was starting to think i was going to be alone

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I want to do it!

1.) I've just moved and had to get a new gym membership. Since I went through all the trouble to sign up for it and all that, I think I should start using it regularly. I want to go every other day, like I used to a couple years ago.Also, my health insurance gives me 20 bucks a month if I go 12 times that month. That's like like 2 dollars a trip!

2.) I've been reading the same novel for months. I like it and want to finish it, but I never find the time, but I definitely have the time. I want to read for an hour 3 times a week at least. I know that's not much, I used to read a lot more than that, but I want to build it back up instead of just overwhelming myself.

3.) I was working on my own programming project 4 months ago, but then I just kind of stopped. I want to start working on that again and I want to draw more. I'm lumping these two things together because they both feed the same creative need. So, once a week, I want to spend my evening doing creative things.

All the tracking for my things will just be if I did them or not. I know that's not exciting, but I've spent way too much time in the past few months playing video games and half a year ago I played video games very sparsely. I want to break that habit and find better things to do with my time.

Day 1: So far so good! I read for well over an hour and I went to the gym! I'm also trying to eat 1800 calories a day, and I did that!

Jan 1- Jan 7. I've been to the gym every other day, and I've spent so much time reading. I'm not even really keeping track of it because I'm doing so much again, I hope I don't burn out. I've even been multi teasking and reading on the treadmill. I've also found webhosting for my project and am setting that up, so all's good so far.

Jan 8 - Jan 14. My girlfriend and I broke up this week, and I've been kind of stressed out, never made it to the gym.I've done a ton of reading, though, at least an hour everyday, so that's still going well. I've also decided to scrap my old project and start a new one. I think the thing that failed my old one was no coherent plan, so I've been writing down exactly what I want out of this project so I have a specific goal. Also, having web hosting issues :|

Jan 15 - Jan 21. Haven't been to the gym since the rbeakup, still feeling kinda lovely. Still reading way more than I wanted to, so that's good. Haven't work on my project.

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Fredflonston

Ok I wanna doos it! I need a fire under my backside of sorts.

So I use to pretty dang good at the gitfiddle. As in I would be able to say I play guitar as some sort of major indication of personality to new acquaintances. That was probably 3 years ago and I have very sparsely played since. It's been hard to find motivation and I don't even know if I could hold my own in a group session anymore. Plus I may have made some commitment to somebody that I would play with them so I have to get good again. What's that thing about not using it and losing it? It might've happened to me.

Anyhow I need to get back on the horse big time and I'm gonna use you guys both as my accountability and as a measure of how I'm doing by posting an audio clip or video of me playing something, possibly with accompaniment that I program as well to make it listenable, as well as maybe a quick description on what I'm trying to work on.

Guitar is a pretty common instrument so if you guys know bout it call me out on stuff if you'd like.

Let's break the stagnation together!

Fredflonston fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 30, 2016

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm going to get my poo poo together. That's too obtuse and too opaque a goal, and also not really measurable in concrete and exact terms, so it makes a bad overall goal anyway.

To break this down instead:

1. I'm going to change my business name and get registered appropriately for a business license under new name. This allows greater credibility and flexibility in branding and also gives me a wider customer base just by appeal. Goal date: March 1st, highly flexible. Goal Met: 31 January 2017

2. I'm going to start processing conflict (especially perceived outside aggression/verbal and physical aggression by outside parties) and better via therapy, even if it's just doing the goddamned CBT workbook with the DBT modifications myself again. I know group therapy is difficult and uncomfortable and I have a tendency to downplay my problems into outright lying about them ("everything is fine!") and then I bottle things up, implode, explode, and dissolve. This is untenable, so gently caress that. Goal to find an initial therapist (not outright lifetime committed obviously) by March 31st.

That's it. Accomplishing those two simple tasks (with complex meanings and results) will improve my life in good measures and give me a solid footing.

_____

JANUARY 1, 2017: I downloaded all of the loving paperwork I have to read over and it's literally over 1000 pages of poo poo to wade through if I want to actually read it, so I sent off an email to the business lawyer to talk to him about this stuff since it's literally his job to do all of that, and that sets goal 1 in solid forward motion.

Goal 2 update: so far, so bad, I'm talking myself out of going to therapy even though I know it would help a lot a lot. I'm finishing off an email to my primary care doc to talk to her, and the psychiatrist, about what they think and who they'd recommend. Email button send go, it's done and that puts me in one step closer. I'm also going to spend a few minutes cross-referencing their recommendations with my insurance coverage list and budget accordingly for initial meetings with a few of them after I hear back from my PCP and psychiatrist next week.

_____

JANUARY 8, 2017--No progress. Fuuuuck.

_____

JANUARY 16, 2017--Met with first therapist. Not a match immediately as they don't provide the type of services I need, even though they advertise as such. Made contact with a second therapist, will follow up from there. Started CBT workbook with DBT mods added.

_____

JANUARY 22, 2017--I found a therapist. We had a good meeting. I'm going to see her Tuesday. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow or it would be sooner. I am very glad I did this. I also went to the one stop permit place for a bunch of stuff, changed my PO Box and phone number, and generally just did New Businessing Things to transition from the partnership to the new classification. I'm also ready for a new psychiatrist and have stepped up my efforts to talk with my PCP but she's had a sick kid so I'm trying to accommodate for that too!

____

JANUARY 30, 2017--Therapist good. Collaborating with a fellow textile artist on a homegoods line right now. Putting together moodboards and line ideas and figured out production specs for about fifty percent of the goods so far, so all I have to do is finish that up, and then make the items. Easier said than done, but the initial anxiety of pitching the idea for a collaboration is already over and done.

SPECIAL UPDATE: JANUARY 31, 2017--Business switch completely done. Not uploading paperwork proof because internet. Will show Duckie if need be tho. I'm ready. I AM READY. God help us.

_____

LATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2017--Therapist still good, definitely gonna keep going twice a week. My ceiling fell in this week and I had a conniption fit because all of these little things with our apartment never being fixed and them completely failing us with lease renewals, etc., so emotionally, I am a loving trainwreck. Bad update, no points.

Also I convinced Mike to meet with a therapist to help him through this bullshit too, so I guess that makes up for it! Therapy is good and it's nice to have a sounding board from a neutral third party whose only interest in making sure we get better.

__

FEBRUARY 12, 2017--Holy poo poo that was a week. Two weeks. Basically since my ceiling fell in and my life imploded I've been unable to actually work since I work from a home studio, so I've been doing all the administrative poo poo I normally avoid instead. I managed to get my paperwork in order, get the PO box remedied, see the therapist EVERY DAY(!!! goodbye money, hello coping skills), see my friends who I haven't seen in months, and I even cooked a full meal. Frankie comes home in two weeks, and we're renewing our lease with hell-landlord only to make buying a house slightly smoother this next year, so I'm not worried about bringing a baby therapy dog in training home right now. He's also pre-enrolled in Puppy K with our favorite trainer ever.

I didn't realize how much I did get done even with the ceiling drama until I really talked about it in depth with the therapist. It's okay to give yourself some credit, guys!

__

February 20, 2017--I had a meltdown last week and a meltdown yesterday, who would've thought I have a sadbrains? YAY. It'll get better. More progress next week I guess.

--

February 26, 2017--Frankie is home. Beans is happy but a weird turd. I went to therapy 4 days last week because of intrusive thoughts but I have a plan for working with the current set of thoughts, at least (logic is good, understanding and giving myself space is good). The meltdown hasn't helped much but it did bring me to a window of perspective and that's good! Progress!

__

March 4, 2017--HOLY HECK ok that was some progress. And some curveballs emotionally. I saw my therapist four times, Mike still loves his therapist, uh I met someone nice who is my friend now and that's cool, and I am very much having fewer meltdowns. The miracle of a neutral third party, SSRIs and a lot of self-work I guess.

--

March 13, 2017--9 day gap but there was a lot a lot happening. More emotional curveballs, but REALLY REALLY GOOD ONES and productive therapy that led to a nice resolution. Nice friends are very nice indeed. Meltdowns are primarily playing Worst Case Scenario in my head all the time. This has been really really good for my life. I'm sorry to be so vague but honestly it's hard to really talk about private stuff, ha.

__

March 30, 2017--Holy poo poo I missed a week, crap. Okay. Well. Things have certainly changed a lot thanks to therapy. I'm going through a Life Upheaval and there's a lot of paperwork and it's interesting, but it's a good thing. I'm actually looking forward to getting up in the mornings now, and doing things doesn't feel like a chore. Yay.

Randy Travesty fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 30, 2017

FluffieDuckie

these are all great.

i can report that today has been a much better day just knowing i have to report in. i tracked all my food and planned so i hit 1200 calories exactly, read an article on hybrid resumes, and started reworking my resume. so day 1 done. yay!

MrWillsauce

I really want to start writing a lot and keep to a schedule so I have to write a lot, but I just don't know how to make myself do it. I have this idea in my head that there is a writer somewhere inside of me, but I just have no idea at all how to make myself do it. Like I can be like "2000 words every day" and I'm disciplined enough that I can make myself stare at the blank page every day, but I can't make myself write. I just can't do it. I can't make myself do it. I dunno, that's the resolution I really wanted but I can't do it. It's not a matter of willpower, I guess.

FutonForensic

I am going to spend at least 30 minutes a week coding Android so I keep at least some of my transferable coding skills. I'm hoping to have a really basic but functional app done by the end of March. probably an alarm clock or something. anything more ambitious and i definitely will not do it

Week 1) Spent most of the time setting up Android environment. Added a widget for selecting and displaying time. I forgot how all this works.

Week 2) Worked on setting up two activities. I have the first screen for setting the alarm and other info, and another to display the time and a message when the alarm is active.

Week 3) Spent most of my time reading old notes about mobile development. Made some adjustments to the layout.

Week 4) Added an alarm manager that should hopefully trigger a response when the calendar time matches the user-set time.

Week 5) Read more about design practices.

Week 6) Did a bit more work and put the app on git so I don't lose it

Week 7) Bashed my head against Gradle config errors for a couple hours. May end up just copying the existing code into a new project so I don't have to spend more time trying to figure out why I can't build my project

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2017

Android Blues

MrWillsauce posted:

I really want to start writing a lot and keep to a schedule so I have to write a lot, but I just don't know how to make myself do it. I have this idea in my head that there is a writer somewhere inside of me, but I just have no idea at all how to make myself do it. Like I can be like "2000 words every day" and I'm disciplined enough that I can make myself stare at the blank page every day, but I can't make myself write. I just can't do it. I can't make myself do it. I dunno, that's the resolution I really wanted but I can't do it. It's not a matter of willpower, I guess.

Have you tried the Pomodoro technique? It helped me a lot with similar problems and is worth looking into.

Android Blues

like, when i was working as a freelancer, pomodoros were totally vital to my daily routine, especially when i was doing ghostwriting stuff. applied well it can take you from noodling around on a blank page to a solid 10k+ words a week no trouble.

putting some music on helps too. if you can set up a routine when working, similar to a bedtime routine where your body just responds to certain signals, music can work as a signifier, especially if it's a type of music you largely don't listen to otherwise. i like the grand sound and relax daily for long, immersive/progressive mixes that (important!) have no vocals.

even working hella fulltime, i still write a lot now, and these techniques are key to putting out some real volume of text on a work night or whatever. i would also advise against trying to write every day if your current problem is not writing at all: setting aside two - three days a week as your "writing days" will likely be more helpful, and if you feel like you have that in hand and are itching for more, you could ramp up from there, but not until you've got that comfy rhythm down.

it's all about routine and approaching it as not just leisure/creativity, but work too. but it's a type of work that's also leisure, so it's pretty great, ultimately!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

2016 was so uniformly awful and stressful. I really want 2017, and the rest of the future, to be better.

1. when I first moved into this apartment, I spent a week puttering around unpacking and trying to make it cute and homey. Then the internet got switched on, I parked my rear end at the computer, and I haven't done jack poo poo since. So, I want to spend even half an hour every day off the computer unpacking or cleaning or otherwise making the place nicer to live in. I'm only giving myself half an hour minimum because any further and I'll be in tons of pain and get upset and quit.

2. this complex has a fitness center, for free, and I should use it, even if just once a week to start. I can always work my way up from there, and on bad pain weeks I can try and do my gym day on the least painful day.

3. when I was like.... 13? I made a new years resolution to walk from my house to a park and back every night. This became walking all the way to the freeway or the fancy grocery store a few miles away sometimes. I know I probably won't be able to do anything that long-distance, at least not yet, but I want to meet my 30 minutes of activity Google Fit goals more days than not, and this will allow me to make friends with the neighbors and get a census of the cats here.

4. find an EMDR-certified therapist actually covered by Medicare. This is a lot more difficult than it sounds; I know exactly one and my husband is already seeing her. I don't know how else to fix the deeply-rooted sadbrains.

death sext

1. I feel that I am ready to fully commit to being vegetarian. It's something I've wanted to do for years, but never really followed through on. I'm not sure how best to measure this, besides like "hey guys didn't eat meat this week :cool:" so I'll think on that.

2. I used to regularly do yoga in college and I found it to be really beneficial for my mental health. Once I graduated I fell out of the habit. This year I will get back into my old routine of waking up early, doing some yoga, and then doing some wind-down yoga before bed. This will be a big life improvement.

3. Similarly, I want to get back into a regular exercise routine. I have no strength and zero cardio stamina. What I do have are free weights, an exercise bike, a Wii fit, and a nice place to walk. I will log my weekly routine. Maybe I'll throw the yoga in there too since it's related.

1/7/17 report:

So far so good, mostly.

1. No meat, although I've expanded my diet to include fish. My doctor was a little concerned because I tend toward anemia, but with the fish, proper protein-focused diet, and some vitamins, she's given me the ok.

2. The yoga thing has been a little difficult. Surprisingly it isn't the morning routine that's hard, which is what I expected. I have chronic fatigue syndrome so by the time I get home from work, I'm so tired for the rest of the evening that it's hard to move. As such I've missed two nighttime yogas. Adjustment pains and all that.

3. This week I've logged 30 miles on my exercise bike (5 miles per day). I haven't worked out a set routine in other aspects, but some things I've been doing are squats, wall sits, planks, push ups (sorta), and dumbbell work. Next week I will have a routine (I'll spend tomorrow working it out).

---------------------------------------------
1/14

1. I have been gathering all sort of vegetarian recipes. Lentils are lovely. Beans are the best. Tofu? Terrific!

2. As hard as this week beat me down, yoga has been going well. Better than last week. When I wind down into child's pose I stay there for a while and maybe cry a little and I swear I try real hard every day.

3. I switched from 5 miles a day to 30 minutes. I like that more. I haven't done today's yet but I will. Tuesday was just an awful day so it's blank.

Here is my exercise routine:
2 20 rep squat w/ leg lift
Incline push ups until I can't do more
10 rep supermans
30s wall sits
60s planks twice a day

-----------

1/22

1. I did eat a little meat this week. My supervisor surprised us all with pizza, which was very nice! But both pizzas had meat on them. I hadn't told anyone at work I was vegetarian, didn't think it really mattered. I suppose I could have picked the pepperonis off, but that felt ungrateful and childish, so I just said thanks and happily ate a slice.

2. Not much to say here. I didn't specify in my original declaration that I'm not doing yoga on the weekends. Weekends are my precious sleep time. I'm feeling less wobbly, which makes me happy.

3. I'm really bad about remembering to log my cycling, so no chart, but I promise I've done it every day. It's my most enjoyable exercise so it's not hard to motivate myself to do. Maybe I'll get a real bike when it's warmer and ride around the development. More of the same other exercises with barbells thrown in. They're pathetically light because I'm that weak, but this is how you get stronger.

1/29

I'm sick and exhausted so keeping this short.

1. yes, good
2. getting it done no problems
3. as scheduled minus this weekend when I slept 99% of the time

2/4

Did not do so well this week. My excuse is illness (which I'm finally over) :colbert:

1. Of my resolutions this is the only one I managed to stick too. Happily I haven't found it hard to stick to at all, and my boyfriend hasn't minded basically becoming vegetarian by default since neither of us feel like making two meals. I have been eating a lot of black beans. They are good and my friends.

2/12

1. Everything's going well. I worship at the altar of black bean. I'm always very glad I chose to keep seafood in my diet. This whole thing would be so much harder otherwise.

2. I've kicked my illness and I'm back in the saddle. I took this last week off and really went full in to the yoga. Sunrise and sunset plus some midday because hey why not?

3. The weather here was all over the place. On a couple days it was nice enough to take some walks outside. So, for the week, that's two hours of walking and three and a half hours of cycling total.

2/19

1. I almost had a moment of weakness with a roast duck, but I stayed strong and did not partake. I was noticing feeling a little more run-down than usual, so I did some research and bought some vitamins and I'm back to feeling my normal amount of run-down.

2. Didn't do perfectly with my yoga. I had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, so to get to work on time I skipped three morning yogas in a row. I think I can tell a difference when I don't start my day with that routine, so that tells me I'm on the right path.

3. The weather continues to be beautiful, so barring any more super cold days, I'm adding 30 minutes (minimum, usually more) of walking to my routine. Weight loss wasn't really my goal in setting this up, but I did check this morning and I've lost five pounds. So hey, not bad!

2/26

I did very poorly this week. I'm sad, I'm running on empty, everything sucks, you know the deal. At least I didn't eat any meat. And I walked outside for ten while minutes yesterday.

3/5

I wish I had something better to say than I'm still floating down in the deep void of bad times. I'm trying.

3/12

This week was better. Not perfect, but I had crazy things like energy and motivation, so that's cool.

1. Nothing to say re: vegetarian goal. No news is good news.

2. I'm cutting out the evening yoga. When I was younger it helped me fall asleep, but I'm no longer dealing with the insomnia I was back then, so I haven't really noticed any benefits. I'm certainly no less exhausted in the morning when I wake up. So, goodbye evening yoga. Morning yoga is here to stay. I like that a lot.

3. It's balls cold outside again so I haven't been walking. But I hit the bike machine hard and I rode a total of 50 miles this week (again, 5 days, not 7). I'm pleased with that. It's easy for me to zone out and ride for longer than my 30 minute goal. Besides some errant squats and planks here and there, I haven't gotten back to any other exercise. But I did more this week than I did last week, so I'm going to call it a success and continue moving forward.

3/19

1. I mentioned trying out being vegetarian to my friend, and now she and her husband are doing meatless dinners a few times a week. So I have a new recipe buddy! yay!

2. The morning yoga is going well. I haven't had any hiccups in this routine for a while.

3. I've been doing well with my biking. There have been a few nice days sprinkled here and there, so I've taken some long walks around the complex. My new thing is to do exercises in my office during my lunch break. I planned out a routine for this week. Today I did

squats x20
60 sec. plank
30 wall push-ups
40 dirty dogs (I love this exercise, it's funny)

ok bye

3/26

1. This whole new diet has gotten me back into cooking regularly. For a while there I had fallen into the slump of "let's just get pizza/fast food/sleep" and that's no good. Tonight I will be coming home to a slow cooker full of black bean soup :love:

2. No news is good news, right? Yoga good, I'm good.

3. Lunch break exercise is working better for me than after-work workouts. By then I'm so tired that finding the motivation to do anything besides crawl into the couch and die is really difficult. I brought my weights to work. Last week I did a smattering of different workouts with no real theme beyond "today I feel like squats." This week I'm planning things out ahead. Today is cardio. It's warm and there's a nice neighborhood next to my office that I can jog around in.

Monday (today)
1 hour of walking and jogging (atm I can do about a minute of jogging straight before I need to gear back to a minute of walking)

Tuesday
Bicep curls x10
Triceps kickbacks x10
Shoulder presses x10

Wednesday
Crunches x20
Bicycle crunches x20
Plank 60s
Side plank 30s each side

Thursday
Walking lunges x10 each leg
Wall squat 60s
Calf raises x30
Jump squat x10

Friday
back to cardio

I still feel sad and bad and terrible, but having this accountability is enough to keep me trying. So hey, that's something :shrug:

death sext fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 27, 2017

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

1. Climb at least 1 active volcano
2. Climb at least 40 mountain
3. Learn to ski good
4. Do all of these things whilst also not dying

Will update when possible

-----------------------------------

Week 1

1-2) Heavy rucksack hill hiking training session tomorrow.
3) Researched some skiing junk ?
4) Bought some lovely mittens so that I don't die from cold hands

Week 2

Did a bunch of walking about, finished buying kit for Scotland winter mountaineering into weekend.

Week 3

I went to Scotland and learned how to walk in crampons, use an ice axe and a few other winter mountaineering skills. I also summited a 1200m+ peak or two!

Week 4

Planned an adventure to Vietnam and New Zealand for the summer. Should be fun.

GoodbyeTurtles fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 30, 2017

shabbat goy

1) I'm gonna learn how to ride a motorcycle + get my motorcycle license. Kinda cheating on this one since I got my permit a few days ago and already signed up for the MSF course, but I'll try to make meaningful progress towards this one in any way I can, including watching youtube videos of people doing wheelies in traffic and not saying "wow" or "haha, neat" when I see it. I don't own or have access to a motorcycle, so I'm gonna have to wait for the course to do IRL practice.

2) I'm gonna practice my Spanish at least 2 times a week. I'll try to write a short blog or something each week (in Spanish) with updates and put it on my website. Hopefully find someone to give me feedback on grammar or something, if not here then in the Spanish learning thread. It's probably going to be very remedial stuff since I'm starting from just-beyond-scratch, but I'd like to get at least mildly proficient by the end of the year since a lot of our clients are in Latin America and nobody in our office speaks Spanish.

3) I'm gonna stop drinking beers, or at the very least cut back quite a bit. I don't drink excessively (maybe ~8 beers in a week, as a baseline) but it's definitely empty calories and I feel like it's nullifying a lot of the work I do in the gym, plus my wife doesn't like it that much and she's pretty cool so it'll make her happy.

4) On the gym note, I'm gonna keep going 3x a week but take it a little more seriously and get my numbers up. For a starting (strength) point (weights in lbs):

Bench: 3x5@165
OHP: 3x5@80
Squat: 3x5@220
Deadlift: 1x5@225

I'll probably put those in a google doc or on my hosting or whatever so this post doesn't get too huge.

e: follow along on my dumb blog and feel free to point out how poor my Spanish is! Also how bad I am at making websites.

e2: I've been pretty bad at 2 and 4, but I get my full motorcycle license this weekend and I have cut back drinkin' beers a whole lot so that's good. I am also bad at maintaining my above blog so...

shabbat goy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 15, 2017

Mac Tonight

aw yeah tahts it man
i probably won't be checking in much since it's kind of a long term goal, but i want to buy a relatively cheap keyboard so i can start learning the basics of playing piano.

Plebian Parasite

Mac Tonight posted:

i probably won't be checking in much since it's kind of a long term goal, but i want to buy a relatively cheap keyboard so i can start learning the basics of playing piano.

I don't mean to steal thunder, but this is mine too.

Mac Tonight

aw yeah tahts it man

Plebian Parasite posted:

I don't mean to steal thunder, but this is mine too.

i've been told pianonanny.com is really helpful for beginners so that's where i'm going to start. i've never played an instrument in my life so i have no idea how this will go!

Twerkteam Pizza

I'm in.

I'm going to make a habit of working out. January each week I will workout a minimum of three days a week. February I will work out four days a week. March five days a week.

"Working out" = a minimum of an hour of moderate activity or 500 calories burned.

I want a second resolution tag.

Update - January 7th:

I exercised three times this week! Woo! Unfortunately, Thursday I pushed myself too much and now my thighs are killing me. Today I just walked for 4 miles on the treadmill. I think cardio and squats in the same day is a bad idea :(

Update - January 16th: 2 days late

Worked out three times last week, worked out today. Starting to log my food.

Twerkteam Pizza fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 16, 2017

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
1. I will fix up my bike and ride it somewhere at least twice a week. Goal for first ride: January 7th

2. I will stop eating so much sugar. No more treats. Make good grocery store decisions. Ok.

Haha, I was totally not doing resolutions this year until I saw this thread. I was planning on getting my bike sorted, but I'm a believer in accountability, so here goes!

Byob is the best.

Palisader

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
What an excellent idea!

1)since I've had the baby I've done a pretty good job controlling what I eat, but I keep coming up with reasons not to exercise. At least Once a week I will bring my lunch to work and eat at my desk, and then spend my hour lunch break walking. I will also take the baby out for a walk once a weekend.

2) I've fallen behind on doing some of the things I love that are productive in favor of doing things that I love that are pretty much just time wasters. I will finish one of the small projects I'm working on (either spinning or knitting) AND my one major project (making a quilt)

Edit one: this is my pre-resolution setup! I want to post a picture of my quilt squares so that way I have a baseline as I go. I'm using up all the yarn I've spun, so I don't have a certain number of squares in mind.

Week 1: I finished 3 more squares for my quilt. I'm almost finished with the one ball of yarn I'm working on, only 5 more to go!

My exercising didn't go as planned because this week didnt go as planned--first I was sick, and then it snowed. I walked around the building a couple of times on Friday, because I was skipping lunch that day, but I couldn't get the tiny human outside for more than a couple of minutes because it's so bitterly cold. I will do better next week.

Week 2: still struggling with the exercise piece, which is frankly more important, though I've taken a few laps around the office and have purposely started parking way out when I go places so that I have to walk as much as possible to get in the store.
I've completed 10 new squares and finally finished my one skein of yarn.

Week 3: this week went really well! I walked up to the store and back on my lunch break (about 50 min round trip) and realised I can do that pretty much every day if I get a salad or something from the store and eat it at my desk when I get back. Nice. I got another 5 squares completed.

Week 4: kept up with my once a week walk, I'm going to try and bump it up to twice a week. I need to figure out how to politely tell a coworker that I'm not really a fan of walking in groups and I don't want any company though. I only finished two or three more squares, but I did make this:

Which I'm pretty proud of. I'd like to eventually mount a map of Thedas behind it.

Palisader fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 31, 2017

Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

yay this was one of my first byob threads last year when i started posting here. wow it has been a year already??? crazy~

here are my resolutions:

1) i need to exercise, even moreso than last year when i made the same resolution and failed. i like biking so i'm going to try to get on my bike 2 TIMES A WEEK for the near future, and up that if i stick with it for a while.

2) i also desperately need to get my budget under control. i am going to launch YNAB once a day for three months to make sure i am updating and on top of my finances.

3) read more! i want to read 10 books this year. seems like a low number but i think i read like 4 last year.

i think that's good for now :) i can do it! we can do it! yay!

---

edit one: i've been sick as a dog this week so i haven't done much but lie in bed and fever dream about randomass poo poo, but my girlfriend and i are gonna do some reading tonight so i will accomplish a little bit of book time before the week is up :)

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 8, 2017

MrWillsauce

alright this year I'm gonna get big. I'm like 5'11 and weigh 130 pounds or so. I'm really skinny and weak. I'm gonna get big. I'm gonna start lifting like 3 days a week at least and eating everything in sight. gently caress writing that's too hard

1/7
went to the gym on tuesday and pumped super hard and was still sore a few days later. lats and biceps with my buddy who is big and wonderful and nice. He's the best weightlifting buddy.
went to the gym by myself on thursday and bitched out after like 2 sets on the leg press. I put way too much weight on it and was sore for a few days even though I don't think I got a good workout. I need to coordinate with my buddy so he can show me how to work out the rest of myself.

this week I hope to get together with my buddy and hopefully we can fall into a schedule pumping iron and chillin together. If not I can at least do the routine he taught me and do my arms again by myself

MrWillsauce fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 9, 2017

social vegan

I dunno if the timing will work, but I'm nearing the end of level 3 of 6 on my. online piano training. there's a ton of work to be done, but I'm aiming to finish all six levels by march!

14/1 Update

- A third of the way into level 4! On track, but taking time to slow and make sure I know my C, F, and G scales!

social vegan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 14, 2017

treasure bear

if you make the screen resolution joke then you go to prison

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i aint eatin no beef (except prime rib E7(?) OR PIZZA APPARENTLY) or pork or none a that mess

and im gona fukken record at least an ep this year im sick of listenin to boring music on my phone

these are my new years resolution

e: also i need to meditate agains so im gonna go to the sangha in charlotte i need to make a resolution or ill forget because :420:

e week 1: i aint eat no mammals, i even got a small mushroom pizza instead of sharing last nite. my guts feel a little better i think. i went to the zendo last week but its icy af out idk if i can even drive out of my neighborhood tonite, im gonna look

i aint recorded anything yet but i been practicin, think ill lay a few loops down this evening and meditate in the snow

e week 2: i made a remix :3: https://soundcloud.com/user-826793366/leave-a-trace-of-a-trace

it wasnt much work but i like it enough to say its something that ive done

i didnt gently caress with the ice last sunday but im planning to go meditate tomorrow

i actually recited 4 vows while trying to upload that mp3 because all my other magic spells werent working

hope all u sentient beins is bein well :unsmith:

e3: lotta homework this week no new tracks but band practice went o k, so thats good
went to the zendo last sunday plannin to go this sunday
ordered a pizza with pepperoni for my stepdad but just 1 meat topping so im not too worried. not planning to again tho!

e4: i aint go meditate this week cuz i was catchin up on homework
been busy hating myself and not eating a lot, did eat a pizza with some pepperoni but i was hungry so gently caress it. idk im still trying but tbh id rather die this week than go meditate next week

e5: i made another recording this week! https://m.soundcloud.com/user-826793366/dance-floor-shaker its a piece i composed years ago but never put to tape, hope somebody likes it :)

i didnt eat any red meat but i didnt get to charlotte to meditate eithercuz i was breaking up with my ex of many years and more breakups i hope to meditate more at home this week and am fixin to go sit rn

e6: i started talking to this gal in class who is a musician and i hope to make some music with her soon :allears: -- fixin to head to charlotte after i work on some calculus so i am doing meditation this week :)
i did a lotta practice on my tb-03 and worked out some cool basslines and i took some pictures of my vidsynth work and it seems like things are getting lined up and headed in the right direction :)

i ate some pizza with meat on it cuz it was here but i didnt go out of my way to eat any other red meat or anything like that. its not easy but im still workin on it :unsmith:

e7: lol pizza. also i didnt get to charlotte again but i did catch up on calculus (FINALLY!!!!) and i shd be able to go this comin week and hopefully the rest of the term since i shd be able to keep up in my classes now :)
also have been practicing, and i found a cool interface on ebay i am hoping i can win that owuld let me record audio & video to my computer :byodood:

e8 i am an idiot. i keep trying to do my calculus and i just dont get it. i am failing college the music in my heart is dead and i dont know how to meditate anymore. i try and i try and everythign just hstj wors

e9: holy poo poo i got 30 points better on my 2nd calc test than my 1st one :regd09: and i got most of last weeks home work done so i went to meditation last night :)

pizza with meat toppings seems p unavoidable unless i go back to starving cuz its just every where i turn around but i aint eat no breakfast sausage or pasta wtih meat sauce or nothin else still ^__^ some days my guts even digest what i eat without any problems
and i have been working on music and stuff, got a rough draft of a mixtape put together last week -- will be doing some finishing touches to get it out in the next week or two, got some crazy ideas to try out.
and i got an rca --> usb thing in the mail today so i can plug my various mixers into my computer and like, record things :mindblown:

e10: made it to the sangha in charlotte last night, have been practicing multimedia music and aint eat no red meat except on pizza lol

also S P R I N G B R E A K I N G B A D

e11: uh lets see
i ate a hot dog last nite at my cousins birthday cookout cuz idw be rude. but i got bad indigestion and a headache from it so the pig had its vengeance upon me. and uh, i got to do my hw, idk if ill make it to meditation tonite. i did put some things i have made this year into a playlist on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-826793366/sets/4-20-a-m-eternal-volume-1 if anybody wanna listen

e12: i didnt make it to the sangha but i managed to meditate at the house, a pleasant rarity
i ate some pizza which is cool and then my stepfather got me a gyro cuz i used to eat em. i ate it not to be rude but it didnt fit in gutwise so i let it back out the way it came in :/
i uh, hmm. been sharing my mixtape, getting way more positive febk than i ever imagined possible.
got a song written for the album and a couple other percolating, i think i can get it done come summer no prob :unsmith:

byob historian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 28, 2017

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i aint eatin no beef (except prime rib) or pork or none a that mess

and im gona fukken record at least an ep this year im sick of listenin to boring music on my phone

these are my new years resolution

e: also i need to meditate agains so im gonna go to the sangha in charlotte i need to make a resolution or ill forget because :420:

real good ideas (and heck yes to going to sangha for practice, it really helps me a lot) and pls link the ep when you're done (and some of your other music!!!)

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I am going to draw this year and finally finish up my console stereo project

man in the eyeball hat

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I'm a poor excuse for an adult so I have a couple to make sure I do something other than watch YouTube all day when I'm not working.

1. I am going to work out 3 times a week. I'll start with cardio to begin and then move onto lifting as well when I get into the swing of things. I have to have some sort of physical activity or I'm going to go crazy soon.

2. I am going to read a book a month not related to my research. If it's philosophy or science fiction, idgaf, but I want to read something different than I do at work.

3. I am going to spend at least 6 hours a day, 5 days a week in my office/actively doing work. I've gotten bad about just procrastinating and grad school is a bad time got that.

4. As a stretch goal i want to learn to draw but I don't have a plan for this one so we'll see.

1/7/16 - Got back from winter break on Wednesday. Went for a run on Thursday, just got on a rowing machine for twenty minutes. Surprisingly running was easier than I expected, since I haven't done cardio in ~1.5 years. Wednesday + Thursday I got settled back in at my university. Friday I did a coding prescreen for a trading firm and got back up to speed on the state of my research, so ~6 hours of work on Friday. Haven't started reading yet, though. Off to a good start once I got back on campus.

1/14/17 - just realized I dated last week's as 2016, lol. I put int ~35 hours of good work this week, it was very productive and I believe I settled on my thesis topic in a talk with some senior graduate students. I alternated between running/rowing every day aside from the last two (rest days) so working out has been goin well too. Not too much reading, about to catch up on that this afternoon.

1/21/17 - This was a hard week for personal reasons. The only thing I've kept up on is working out; I ran 3 times and rowed 2 times this past week. I got about half of the work done that I wanted to, and I don't feel very enthusiastic about it. I haven't read very much this week. Still hoping to finishing this book by the end of the month though.

1/28/17 - Didn't do as much work as I'd hoped, got into the habit of sleeping late instead and didn't stay at my office much later to compensate. Reading I did a lot of catch up this week so I should be good to finish my book by the 31st. Ran three times this week, no rowing; plan to get back to rowing again now.

2/5/17 - Got some good work done this week getting some code working for research that was handed off by a groupmate. Probably didn't hit 30 hours in office, but the results were pretty good still. I finished my book for January and started reading February's this week. A bit behind on reading, but it's a pretty easy read so I'll catch up this coming week. Only worked out 2/3 times, my food has been hurting so I took a rest after Wednesday. Seems to be healed so I'm back to running tomorrow and then gonna try to row on the off days again this week.

2/12/17 - I feel myself slipping, it's really not good. I can blame it on personal issues that keep me up late, or "just not feeling it," but I've really been slacking this week. I am determined to do full days of work this week, run three times (a friend invited me to start lifting with him, so I need to nail my schedule down so I can fit lifting in my daily schedule 3x a week) and I'm not going to waste time in the evenings, instead I'm going to read or work through a textbook I need to. I ran twice this past week, and made an excuse for the third day; I did run last night, and it was hard after ~5 days off, but I went my usual distance. I did very little work until Friday, when I really banged it out and we got something working in lab. I did about half the reading I had scheduled this week. This coming week will be better.

2/20/17 - Last week was bad; I barely read, I got int two runs, but I got a lot of time in my office working. Life is hitting me pretty hard recently with work getting super busy and things at home just becoming more of a mess. I don't think I'm going to finish my book by the end of the month, but hopefully I can have something good to show for work and keep working out.

3/6/17 - missed a week, but not much to report. Only went for a run once, spent a good amount of time in my office trying to work but having trouble getting good work done. I guess at least I'm working the amount i should be. poo poo is still hitting the fan in my personal life so that's sapping my energy. Thinking about going to a counselor because I think I'm loving depressed.

3/13/17 I got enough work done but didn't work out or read, but i gave up on the reading I guess. More personal poo poo still destroying my ability to get work done for most of my day. Trying to sort that out, at least I have a well paying job for the summer that I just secured today. Waiting to see a counselor next week

3/27/17 Missed another update, but I can lump the past two weeks together. Personal things still going to hell, saw a therapist and helped me get a reference point for what's going on. TAing was hell for the past two weeks, as we had an exam and hard homeworks to help instruct students. I've finished a proposal (that's only a formality) for my master's, and I need to run it by my adviser. My master's work itself is going well, and I might be able to finish it by the end of the semester. I have a job for the summer, which is good. I have not worked out lately, but I'm going to fix that this week as it's spring break. I've gotten a lot of work done lately (most of it in my office, definitely hitting my 30 hours a week there) but I've done less for self-improvement.

man in the eyeball hat fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 28, 2017

s/o to siggy savvy symbolic for the simply sublime signature

Rock Paper Tongue

May cause birth defects

A little late, but I want in! I've been getting pretty far behind on my music lately, and if I want to finish anything I've started I really need to crack down on getting stuff written and refined.

A couple of goals:

1) Practice at least 30 minutes a day

2) Do a recording at least twice a month, hopefully get some feedback and make improvements

3) Finally learn how to play that drat piano

4) Have at least 3 songs done, or at least fully written, by the end of March

And I'm no musical genius, but if any other music folks want someone to throw ideas around with, I'd be glad to help however I can!
Good luck everybody, looking forward to seeing what we can get done!

WEEK 1 UPDATE
Practice time: ~4 hours
Recording: https://soundcloud.com/user-253733554/sgull_1

Got a lot of practice in, finally getting the hang of my modal scales, just need to work on meshing the different modes together and making my lines a bit more fluid.
Knocked out a super rough recording, but I don't know whether to make it a mainly finger picked piece or put some rhythm and additional instrumentation behind it.

Goals for next week: Keep working on modes and transitioning between them, write either a chord progression or additional instrument track for this here scratch track

WEEK 2 UPDATE
Total practice time: 8 hours

Started working on practicing my piano technique. Getting both hands to play at the same time is a bit of a challenge, but I'm making progress. Keeping good finger position while progressing up and down scales is a challenge too, and I 'd like to have a better grasp on it by the end of the month.

Goals for next week: Work on scale progression, simultaneous playing with both hands, record some backing piano for the scratch

WEEK 3 UPDATE
Total practice time: 11 hours

School started last week, so free time has been at a bit of a premium. Made a lot of progress in getting both hands synchronized properly, and started on writing a new piece that I'll try to have recorded by next week.

Goals for next week: Work on recording

Rock Paper Tongue fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 25, 2017

vanisher

Mine is (mostly) work related (boring)

1: I'm going to track activities a little better. Which includes outbound calls and letters to previous clients. When I got started in my field I was really good at this but it kind of slipped away (happens with everything). I have a goal of writing about two letters a day and making five calls, so I'll track that weekly and post in here how I do.

2: I'll take my bike for a spin on the weekends again. I'll track it once a week.

WEEK ONE UPDATE

1: I made some seriously good progress by penciling out client birthdays in my planner for the year and planning some activities for next week. I wrote about half the notes I needed to, but was on track with calls.
2: I'm a bit under the weather, but I think Sunday I will be able to get out for a spin! Update incoming.

WEEK TWO UPDATE
what a disaster of a week for me. I was getting over a cold, and my 6/mo daughter caught it so I was at home three of five working days! Although for those two days I did manage pretty well. But I went into writing this pretty depressed about my progress.

1: Made a bunch of calls. That's good. I need to make sure next week I get on top of letters like a banshee.
2: The plus side on having three days working from home is that two of those days I got to go out for a long walk with my dog and daughter, which was very peaceful. Still yet to get the bike out and ready. Next weekend for sure :argh:

WEEK THREE UPDATE

1: I got caught the heck up on notes and calls this week! Friday I did basically nothing though, which isn't great. Well, basically no notes, but still calls.
2: Raining like a crazy person so I was unable to get the bike out this weekend! I'll get it out next weekend - i've got nothing planned so far so I don't have any good excuses to not do it.

WEEK FOUR UPDATE

1: Quite a bit of following up with clients and short on the cards, so next week needs refocusing
2: I always seem to have something come up. But this week I'll make progress during the week instead of putting all my hopes on having free time during the weekend.

WEEK FIVE UPDATE
1: I really am doing quite well with this goal. In two weeks I have a sales conference that will be an excellent refresher on capitalizing this momentum.
2: This MF goal is killing me. Saturday some things came up and I was home alone, then Sunday it rained. Am I doomed? No, I will keep making these updates which make me feel like a pile of jerk because this bad feeling is the fire that gets me started. Next week I will pack a bag and keep it in my car, and I will hit the office gym. If I can do that, I can do the next step.

WEEK SIX!
1: Doing very well with this goal. In a couple of weeks I'll be at an event and be able to get a lot of cards and calls.
2: Got out to the gym on Wednesday for about an hour of spinning. This week I will attempt to get out twice!

WEEK 7&8!
Holy moley got sick last week and it screwed me up. I did one workout on Monday in week 7, and week 8 was blown due to illness and stuff. Got some good contacts at work last week, but this week I'll need to make some time Monday to hit the gym so I stay on track!

WEEK HOLY SH** I GOT SICK AND MY DAUGHTER WAS SICK AND MY LIFE IS ENDING
I had a crazy heck of a time over the last three weeks or so. Family on two rounds of antibiotics, strep tests, you name it. I actually did get a good amount of cards out, and last week holy moly I did a bunch of activities.

Freaking cycling fell by the wayside. I've still got residual stuff going on. It's a beast because the girl's in daycare and i'm the only one available ATM. Perhaps... I can get something in on Monday if i'm feeling a bit better! I'll try!!

vanisher fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Fanky Malloons

Is your social worker inside that horse?

MrWillsauce posted:

I am familiar with this struggle, and I think a lot of it has to do with being a perfectionist and being afraid to write something that isn't good. I stepped away from writing fiction during my MA because the (self inflicted) pressure to write a thesis that was in line with my own standards took up all of my mental energy in that regard and thinking about getting the fictional stories I wanted to write out of my head and onto paper on top of all of that was too much. That might not actually be what your problem is, but if it is, maybe do something like challenging yourself to write X number of first drafts, no matter what length, and no matter how lovely, just to get used to doing it? Literally just let yourself write whatever you want, even if it seems terrible. You could even try and be terrible on purpose if you wanted to go really crazy with it. Because the beauty of first drafts is that you can make them better through editing, and they're generally not nearly as bad as you think they are, so just go for it!

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

Fanky Malloons

Is your social worker inside that horse?
Whoops I forgot to state my h*ckin' resolution!

I made a blog recently for all of the morbid nerd stuff that I can't geek out about with fellow anthropology anymore now that I've left grad school, but I'm really good at procrastinating and finding excuses not to update it, which is the opposite of what I want to do! Therefore my resolution is going to be to update it at least once a month, and ideally every two weeks. I guess to make sure I'm staying on top of it, I'll update my post every week either with a link to a new post or with the title of the post I'm currently working on and how far I've gotten with it.

WEEK 1 UPDATE:
My next topic is gonna be decomposition, aw yeah! I've come up with a basic outline, which I will try to fill out this week:
1. What is decomposition? Definition/tl;dr explanation
2. Stages of death
3. Physical, chemical, cellular post-mortem changes
4. Cardinal signs of decomp
5. Putrefaction & skeletonization

I will also try and find pictures that are informative/illustrative but also not horrendously gross, so as not to scar people's eyeballs when they try to read it.

WEEK 2:
WHOOPS I h*cked up and did not work on composing my decomposition (heh) post at all, nor did I update my post to that effect (writing this from Monday of week 3, like a chump).
REAL TALK, I procrastinated super hard because I'm worried (like always) that it will be boring and dumb and all of my written endeavours are pointless. BUT this evening I started working on it for reals, and I feel way better about it, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to work on it a lil bit every evening this week and then get it finished up and posted on the weekend, yeah!!

Fanky Malloons fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 24, 2017

:krad: sig brought to you by the amazing & beautiful vanisher, feat. Helle Woods, artisinally designed by Death Sext !!!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

real good ideas (and heck yes to going to sangha for practice, it really helps me a lot) and pls link the ep when you're done (and some of your other music!!!)

tyvm for the support!

good luck to all yobbbers everywhere 2017 needs the motherfuckin P O W E R O F C H I L L

byob historian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2017

byob historian

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Byob is the best.

byob gonna kick 2017s rear end!!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

byob gonna kick 2017s rear end!!

but gently, and only with consent

treasure bear

and only if 2017 pays us for it

Android Blues

treasure bear posted:

and only if 2017 pays us for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot

by FactsAreUseless
Hello friends,

This is my first quasi-seriouspost here but here goes:

I have worked for CPS (child protective services) in various areas of the field for the last ~4 years and it has taken a very heavy toll on my physical, mental and emotional health. This isn't meant to be a "look how hardcore I am" type of deal so I'll summarize by saying I've seen, had to do and have had to deal a ~lot~ of horrible, soul crushing poo poo on a daily basis. After getting to the point where I began to have full blown nervous breakdown/anxiety attacks every morning on my way to work and realizing I had a literal Pavlovian-dogesque panic attack response to the sound of my work phone going off, I knew things had to change. I invested too much of my self-worth into working with and protecting kids, and always intended to work with kids, and by chance I found an in to a program that will bring me into teaching. I ended up being accepted after passing all my certification exams etc. and put in my last day last month at my agency (after them essentially refusing my resignation 3 times over the last ~5 months holding over my head the fact that if I bailed there's a non-zero chance a kid will die because we are that undermanned with our 80% turnover rate lol)

I spent the intervening time between then and now working in the garden (I live in FL I can garden year round :hellyeah: ) and trying to reflect on everything over the last few years and I know a few things need to change. My daughter just turned 2 in October and I can tell she already feeds off/knows something is wrong with daddy on the days he gets home before she's asleep (10-14 hour days 5-6 days a week) because she will go "DADDY...WHAT WRONG" and hug me and it's not her place to do that poo poo.

My wife is keeping up the appearance of things being okay but it's not fair to her or my daughter that she has to both work and take care of our daughter while I am having to do all sorts of crazy unreasonable poo poo. She is the overly optimistic happy-go-lucky type and I feel like I can't talk to her exactly how the experience of interrogating a sobbing 12 year old girl on exactly how grandpa raped her and in what orifice in enough detail to obtain enough evidence to get an arrest feels like.

My resolutions are:

1) I will be more open emotionally to my friends and family/wife

2) I will find ways to reduce the perpetual state of annoyance/mild anger I am in without resorting to sitting in a dark room and completely shutting down

3) I will spend more quality time with my daughter even if it basic things like bath time

4) I will find a way to not be emotionally dead or try to be emotionally dead without the help of my friend Jack

5) I will somehow learn to separate from the job because it doesn't feel any different even though I quit nearly a month ago at this point

Before I left, I wrote down the names of every case I've ever had. I was debating writing about my experiences and thoughts but :effort:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread