Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah somebody is priming the crazies for violence intentionally. I’m quite worried about it after election night regardless of how it goes.

Why wait until the election

https://twitter.com/Cascadianphotog/status/1304665240412413957?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sky is orange like trumps face

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lovely I can see militia chuds from my living room. AQI is 350+ dumbasses. Don’t look like locals from the faces I see.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 12, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's looked like the end of Persona 4 outside the last week or so and I'm getting realllllllllllllllly sick of it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kirios posted:

It's looked like the end of Persona 4 outside the last week or so and I'm getting realllllllllllllllly sick of it.

Yeah. I tied jumping into my TV last midnight but I ended up toppling it over and leaving a hole in the wall.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Who's this Culp idiot there are signs for all over Washington? The Uncle Sam sigh was congratulating her so I figure she's a piece of poo poo but her signs were all over Bellingham.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
Loren Culp is 100% a dude who looks like a sapient bullfrog

Edit: he's a former police chief.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

therobit posted:

Who's this Culp idiot there are signs for all over Washington? The Uncle Sam sigh was congratulating her so I figure she's a piece of poo poo but her signs were all over Bellingham.

Wikipedia posted:

While serving as police chief of Republic, Washington in 2018, Washington Initiative 1639 was passed through a ballot initiative. The law amended gun laws in Washington by defining the term "semiautomatic assault rifle" to include all semiautomatic rifles, and raising the minimum age for purchasing semiautomatic rifles from 18 to 21. In response, Culp publicly announced that he would not enforce the law in Republic.[6] He later appeared on Tucker Carlson Tonight and proposed that Republic, Washington would become a "gun sanctuary."[7]

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Loren Culp is 100% a dude who looks like a sapient bullfrog

Edit: he's a former police chief.

He's a police chief insofar as the department he works for has only one employee, him, so he is the chief sort of by definition. Republic is a small town. And since he's been campaigning for governor all spring and summer, the county sheriff's department has been doing all the policing in the town anyways.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

You're leaving out the worst part where he apparently tortures sexual crime victims

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/05/washington-governor-candidate-loren-culp-faces-law/

quote:

After speaking with Moore themselves, Venturo and Culp believed he was telling the truth and decided to interview the victim again. According to the lawsuit, the officers asked the teen “disturbing questions about her personal life, sex life and home life and asked her to provide detailed descriptions of sexual acts engaged in with Roy Moore.”

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 16, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You left out the best parts

quote:

Venturo interviewed the victim and obtained a search warrant so he could provide the victim’s mother with a digital recorder. The mother concealed the device and tried to obtain a taped confession from Moore, but he denied the allegations.

The victim was sent to stay at Beard’s home that evening. The lawsuit alleges he “took advantage of the distraught and vulnerable 17-year-old and ultimately engaged in sexual relations with her,” a claim his attorney denied in a court filing. Later that night, the victim went to her grandparents’ home.

:staredog: Beard is now a deputy with the Gilliam County Sheriff’s Office in north-central Oregon. :staredog:

The victim’s mother served as treasurer for Culp’s gubernatorial campaign until early this year.

Fascist, misogynist, or Christian Dominionist... so hard to pick just one.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 16, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

You left out the best parts

Fascist, misogynist, or Christian Dominionist... so hard to pick just one.

They're synonyms really.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Taking a break from the loving nightmare in USPol to dig into the real breaking scandal today

quote:

Authorities say Inslee delivered tainted apples to town of Bridgeport during visit

BRIDGEPORT - The Chelan-Douglas Horticultural Pest and Disease Board is trying to track down tainted apples Governor Inslee delivered to the town of Bridgeport on September 12.

On that day, the governor brought the apples as a gesture of care for the people who lost their homes to the Pearl Hill Fire; Inslee was surveying the aftermath caused by the fire that day. Inslee’s honey crisp apples were grown at the Governor’s Mansion in Olympia, some of which he also gifted to the town of Malden and a retirement home in Omak during his visits to wildfire-stricken towns during the days prior. Officials say the apples have tested positive for apple maggot larvae.

“We are desperately seeking the help of all Bridgeport and Douglas County residents or anyone who may have any information to help us locate the apples that were brought to Bridgeport,” the board stated in a press release.

The apples were reportedly left at the Foursquare Church shortly after 11 a.m., but have not been seen since and have not been able to find a contact with knowledge of their location.

“There is reason to believe that they may have been dumped in a local orchard or transported with other, non-contaminated apples from the area.”

Thurston County is currently an Apple Maggot quarantine area, but Douglas County is not.

Officials say apple maggots are an “incredibly serious pest” and could pose serious problems for orchardists in Douglas County if they are unable to be located; their goal is to find the infected apples and mitigate the effects immediately.

“It is of the utmost importance these apples are safely disposed of immediately.”

I like Jay Inslee as far as that goes, but this is not only tone deaf (bringing one box of perishable apples to a devastated community with no real plan to help them recover) but actually does real harm (introducing an apple maggot infestation is kicking this community when its down). If there's something economically marginal communities have in common across the urban/rural, racial, and cultural spectrums it's that elected officials (even the relatively 'good' ones who are not active malefactors intent on doing direct harm to some of their constituents) don't seem to have the time, attention, or incentives to give a gently caress about any of them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
I wonder if it was just a few bad apples

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1306269786469552128?s=19

https://twitter.com/MollyHarbarger/status/1306291251835072512?s=19

So I know Soros is just a boogie man for Republicans but this just seems a little too coordinated. Maybe Soros is involved.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nah Soros is left wing. It's Lyndon Larouche.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

jenny in hot water with barr lol

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1306399084450926593?s=21

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
If they were to sweep up Durkan and Wheeler for sedition, do you think anybody would really object?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

If they were to sweep up Durkan and Wheeler for sedition, do you think anybody would really object?

You live by the boot, you die by the boot

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol what the hell

https://twitter.com/spekulation/status/1306436010402672647?s=21

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

He's threatening people on Twitter now that the secret's out.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Finally some loving rain, hopefully the thunderstorm doesn't spark new fires

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I posted a snippet in the police thread, but this is a reminder to locals that the Seattle OPA is worse than useless:
https://publicola.com/2020/09/18/opa-releases-first-findings-from-spd-protest-response-complaints/

quote:

Based on video of the incident, Myerberg concluded that the officer had only kneeled on the neck of one of the demonstrators and instead kneeled on the other demonstrator’s head.

In an interview on Thursday, Myerberg said that “a knee on the head is not against [SPD] policy,” but added that “it’s not encouraged, and [officers] aren’t trained to do it.” Kneeling on a demonstrator’s neck, however, is now against department policy; at the time of the arrest, those restraints were only “strongly discouraged.”

Myerberg’s office did not sustain the complaint against the officer who pepper-sprayed the seven-year-old, concluding instead that the officer had not intended to spray the child and therefore hadn’t violated department policy.

The OPA also sustained a complaint that the same officer had inappropriately cursed at and threatened demonstrators, calling one woman a “bitch” and telling a fellow officer that he would “gently caress up” another demonstrator.

Interim Chief Adrian Diaz will now be responsible for determining how to discipline the officer for both offenses.

Everything is fine and if it's not, the cops are disciplining themselves.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This thunder in south king co. seems appropriate for the moment.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Why what happened. Did something huge and earth shattering occur that nobody saw coming in a million years?

E: thanks For the Donkey Konga setup again.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

wet_goods posted:

Finally some loving rain, hopefully the thunderstorm doesn't spark new fires

Yeah, when it started really hammering down a little bit ago I found it incredibly cathartic. I think because the rain feels kind of like things 'going back to nornal'.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why what happened. Did something huge and earth shattering occur that nobody saw coming in a million years?

E: thanks For the Donkey Konga setup again.

Things can be very very bad without being surprising. I find myself yelling this often when I make the mistake of reading twitter replies.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Ditocoaf posted:

Things can be very very bad without being surprising. I find myself yelling this often when I make the mistake of reading twitter replies.

*at my mom's funeral* I don't get why everyone is so upset, we all knew this was going to happen.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I saw the sky today.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pleasantly surprised seattle city council overrode durkan’s veto and will modestly defund spd, didn’t think lewis and strauss would have it in them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

pleasantly surprised seattle city council overrode durkan’s veto and will modestly defund spd, didn’t think lewis and strauss would have it in them

The 90 minutes of public comment that was half "Lewis you better not loving choke" was probably related to this. Strauss didn't seem that squishy.

I mentioned this in the Seattle thread, but I think Durkan's constant, very public gaslighting and lying is really corroding her ability to influence the council. Herbold is in full Seattle passive aggressive, ":) :) :) I'm trying to work with you but it'd be a lot easier if you would stop lying to my face :) :) :)" mode over it and I noticed some shade from Lewis and Pedersen as well.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah Lewis and Pederson were definitely influenced by their constituents bombarding them with messages on the one side, and being sick of Durkan's poo poo on the other. Lewis commented that he was tired of Durkan 'negotiating by veto' and 'communicating via press release', though he tried to drop those phrases in a context that made them not sound quite as scathing.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah Lewis and Pederson were definitely influenced by their constituents bombarding them with messages on the one side, and being sick of Durkan's poo poo on the other. Lewis commented that he was tired of Durkan 'negotiating by veto' and 'communicating via press release', though he tried to drop those phrases in a context that made them not sound quite as scathing.

pederson was one of the 2 no votes with juarez

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

pederson was one of the 2 no votes with juarez

Only on one of the three votes, but it’s true that he’s pretty loving weak. I think it’s his adoration for the Nav team.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
The amount wasn't the big deal here, it's the nuking of the Navigation Team.

Well, and the fact that it's the first time the SPD budget has been cut in decades, and there is symbolic value to that. It's a start.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Oldest Man posted:

The 90 minutes of public comment that was half "Lewis you better not loving choke" was probably related to this. Strauss didn't seem that squishy.

I mentioned this in the Seattle thread, but I think Durkan's constant, very public gaslighting and lying is really corroding her ability to influence the council. Herbold is in full Seattle passive aggressive, ":) :) :) I'm trying to work with you but it'd be a lot easier if you would stop lying to my face :) :) :)" mode over it and I noticed some shade from Lewis and Pedersen as well.

Strauss mentioned in his speech that that day was the first time that Durkan's office had called him in two months. I don't know how a mayor expects to be able to win over city council members if they don't reach out and talk to city council members. It seems like Durkan really does want to be as much of a dictator as possible, and it's collapsing around her.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

durkan’s feeling more and more like a lame duck, i wonder who will announce their candidacy in mid november/december after the prez election

i think mosqueda or gonzalez is a v safe bet, not sure who else might go for it....... from what she’s said, nikkita seems like a hard nope

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gohuskies posted:

It seems like Durkan really does want to be as much of a dictator as possible, and it's collapsing around her.

I think this photo is going to be the one that most accurately represents her tenure

Edit: "An anarchist jurisdiction"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

The Oldest Man posted:

I think this photo is going to be the one that most accurately represents her tenure

Edit: "An anarchist jurisdiction"

I’m a city employee and that has been my desktop background at work since it was taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I’m a city employee and that has been my desktop background at work since it was taken.

Don't dox yourself, but what is the general attitude like among the city employees? Especially the unionized non-police ones, if you know.