Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

That word "isolated" sure is something, isn't it.

It means he committed the crime while no one was around, not that it was the only one he's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m just sitting on the sidelines here, but at this point are we talking about legitimate, legally actionable defamation at this point? This story is absolutely batshit crazy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

To be clear, he resigned his position as union president but is not resigning as a police officer, right?
I mean... let's not go crazy, now.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AaronMesh/status/1371955297732894720

“We have asked Daryl Turner to return to the PPA as executive director...”

Lmao turns out it’s impossible to flush that loving turd
Oh, wow, this makes so much more sense, okay, yeah, this I totally could have predicted.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 17, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

generic one posted:

Solving homelessness? Open a GoFundMe campaign. Bing bang boom. So simple.
https://twitter.com/bocxtop/status/1362895138410872832

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ok. There's a pretty choice little quote in the Mercury's article this morning that's a lot funnier given the new context

quote:

Hunzeker reacted to this news on the PPA's Facebook page on March 6.

"It’s unconscionable for the Mayor to prioritize a case of mistaken identity over the legitimate community concerns like nightly shootings, violence, arson, and vandalism," wrote Hunzeker.

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m just sitting on the sidelines here, but at this point are we talking about legitimate, legally actionable defamation at this point? This story is absolutely batshit crazy.

Honestly I don’t know for sure but I doubt it. I’d be kind of surprised if a hit and run accusation was actionable as defamation in the first place and then with the initial accuser essentially doing the whole “I think all black people look exactly the same so it was an innocent mistake” even if it was they’d probably have an out

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 17, 2021

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

I can't believe nobody has thought about this.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

another candidate announces

https://twitter.com/jessynfarrell/status/1372582808934215681?s=21

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

God that owns.

Context: https://youtu.be/bNAGVnJUQIw

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
While driving home from work tonight I saw something burning up in the atmosphere above the Sound around the Arlington/Stanwood area, anyone know what that could have been?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
north korean test launches??

probably just a typical space rock, nice catch. even better catch VV

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 26, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

logger posted:

While driving home from work tonight I saw something burning up in the atmosphere above the Sound around the Arlington/Stanwood area, anyone know what that could have been?

https://twitter.com/planet4589/status/1375301028514500615

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

That makes sense I saw it around 8:58pm. It looked like it was crossing Puget Sound though, but that could be due to perspective.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What the gently caress is going on in Portland?

There've been 25 homicides in the first three months of this year, when in 2020 there was only 2.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What the gently caress is going on in Portland?

There've been 25 homicides in the first three months of this year, when in 2020 there was only 2.

The economy is in shambles and people haven't worked in a year?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Every city is seeing an increase in gun violence, as the article mentions at the very end

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Gun sales (the vast majority to men) surged 64% in 2020 compared to 2019. Domestic violence (which is overwhelmingly suffered by women and to a lesser extent young men) jumped 25-30% in the United States in 2020. Gun deaths of children increased by 50%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/23/2020-shootings/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...lo3a3N1cy1vTQ..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7195322/

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2013/03/12/section-3-gun-ownership-trends-and-demographics/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 3, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chenghiz posted:

Every city is seeing an increase in gun violence, as the article mentions at the very end

Yes but they saw homicides jump by times two not by almost times twenty.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Seattle has 8 homicides so far this year which I understand is on pace with the previous two years. This seems like something weirdly specific to Portland and not just explainable by national or even regional trends.

eta: https://twitter.com/HomicideSeattle/status/1372742496275501060

(this is from a couple weeks ago so it's missing 1 for Seattle)

SousaphoneColossus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 3, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Changing Portland's nickname from Rip City to RIP City

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Seattle has 8 homicides so far this year which I understand is on pace with the previous two years. This seems like something weirdly specific to Portland and not just explainable by national or even regional trends.

eta: https://twitter.com/HomicideSeattle/status/1372742496275501060

(this is from a couple weeks ago so it's missing 1 for Seattle)

The fact that Portland is closer to DC than Seattle (this is a couple of weeks old and there's been more homicides in Portland since then) really shows something is really off.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

The fact that Portland is closer to DC than Seattle (this is a couple of weeks old and there's been more homicides in Portland since then) really shows something is really off.

A few things that should be considered when talking about gun violence. First, Portland has historically had a very low number of gun homicides, so any increase is going to look huge from a pure percentage increase perspective even if the per capita rate doesn't move much at all. Second, each shooting is a unique event that needs to be understood through the relationship of the shooter and the victim. These are not typically random crimes. Usually there's a connection between the shooter and the victim, be it drugs, domestic violence, gang activity, or the like.

I have a hard time keeping it in perspective because PPB only releases the information they want to release, and local media only covers the details they care to dig into, and so it's hard to identify what the underlying trends are given that most of the coverage is intent on selling you a return of the GVRT and new policing solutions. Of course, police don't really prevent shootings so much as respond to them after the fact, but that's not a point that the fear salesmen care to discuss

I'm going to keep watching and see what happens, but even with the spike I don't think Portland in general is much less safe than it was a year or two ago

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

pseudanonymous posted:

The economy is in shambles and people haven't worked in a year?

Right wing media has been painting Portland as the place to do battle with the libs, and last year did a lot to solidify it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly out of towners going in and shooting at people.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Schmeichy posted:

Right wing media has been painting Portland as the place to do battle with the libs, and last year did a lot to solidify it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly out of towners going in and shooting at people.

I think this is probably unlikely, I mean maybe, but nothing I've seen in local media seems to suggest it's out of towners, and suspects who have been apprehended as far as I know (and some of them have) haven't fit that profile so I'd hold off on just blaming chud murder tourism in the same way I'd caution against buying into the rhetoric to bring back the GVRT or the like

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
man there have been some incredibly wild speculations over the last two pages 😂

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think this is probably unlikely, I mean maybe, but nothing I've seen in local media seems to suggest it's out of towners, and suspects who have been apprehended as far as I know (and some of them have) haven't fit that profile so I'd hold off on just blaming chud murder tourism in the same way I'd caution against buying into the rhetoric to bring back the GVRT or the like

what profile have you been seeing?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

what profile have you been seeing?

People who appear to be local as opposed to people who appear to be driving in from out of town to get into a shooting. A mix of DV, conflict between people who know each other, drugs, and robbery. As always the information is what it is and PPB/local media only provide the details they care to provide, but the chud murder tourism theory is going to need a fair amount more to convince me it's what's going on

Edit: Oh it just occurred to me that the use of the word "profile" might have come across like I was implying something racist. That's not what I meant at all and sorry if that's how it came across, I should be more careful with word choice

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 5, 2021

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
This is wild.

https://twitter.com/akela_lacy/status/1379178368869015553?s=21

https://twitter.com/akela_lacy/status/1379182643787489282?s=21

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Also note that cops across the country kill 25-30 dogs every single day, according to Department of Justice estimates.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

gohuskies posted:

Also note that cops across the country kill 25-30 dogs every single day, according to Department of Justice estimates.

Just one more reason to get rid of cops. The list of positives is gettin pretty darn long.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Grimm led me to believe there was a lot more murdering going on in Portland than there really is.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

A few things that should be considered when talking about gun violence. First, Portland has historically had a very low number of gun homicides, so any increase is going to look huge from a pure percentage increase perspective even if the per capita rate doesn't move much at all. Second, each shooting is a unique event that needs to be understood through the relationship of the shooter and the victim. These are not typically random crimes. Usually there's a connection between the shooter and the victim, be it drugs, domestic violence, gang activity, or the like.

I have a hard time keeping it in perspective because PPB only releases the information they want to release, and local media only covers the details they care to dig into, and so it's hard to identify what the underlying trends are given that most of the coverage is intent on selling you a return of the GVRT and new policing solutions. Of course, police don't really prevent shootings so much as respond to them after the fact, but that's not a point that the fear salesmen care to discuss

I'm going to keep watching and see what happens, but even with the spike I don't think Portland in general is much less safe than it was a year or two ago

I mean it's not just the increase but the total. Portland is midway to Washington D.C. not in growth but in total homicides.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean it's not just the increase but the total. Portland is midway to Washington D.C. not in growth but in total homicides.

Well, looks like they're going to bring back something akin to the GVRT so the "do something, anything" mentality seems to have won out

https://twitter.com/shanedkavanaugh/status/1379623832416227329

Can't imagine it's going to work any better than last time, which is to say, probably not at all

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
edit: nm

generic one fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 10, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hey it's gonna get to 112 over here in Portland on Sunday so I feel like we should be chatting about this insane heat wave that's going to shatter records over the weekend!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I moving Monday! Probably going to die.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hello thread! I am visiting up near Lake Stevens with my dad and we were wondering if anyone had any ideas on a good place to shore fish. Salmon season has closed so that's not really a consideration. We don't have a boat but do have a vehicle we can use.

This forum has helped me out of some surprising jams in the past and I think this may be one of them.

Thank you kindly for any help.

Edit: OK well we'll be back in a few months so I am open to tips.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 3, 2021

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've never had any luck in southern Washington but I'm a famously awful fisherman so :shrug:

God speed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hello old friend PNW thread. You’ve seen busier days but with the 2022 Oregon gubernatorial election heating up [edit: more taking shape than heating up] I thought you might be worth dredging back up. For starters here’s a hearty lmao:

https://mobile.twitter.com/alex_zee/status/1479151983302877185

This is going to be a fun one because it’s looking like a three way between the Republican, the Democrat (Koteck?), and everyone’s favorite contrarian Betsy Johnson. I actually think Betsy might have a lot of ingrown support in places like Clackamas and Salem area and the bluer stretches of the coast and more rural parts of Washington county. Obviously it’s still all working itself out but at this point I think there is a non-zero chance that Betsy and the Democrat (Koteck?) split enough votes to give Oregon a Republican governor. Interesting times

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Hello old friend PNW thread. You’ve seen busier days but with the 2022 Oregon gubernatorial election heating up [edit: more taking shape than heating up] I thought you might be worth dredging back up. For starters here’s a hearty lmao:

https://mobile.twitter.com/alex_zee/status/1479151983302877185

This is going to be a fun one because it’s looking like a three way between the Republican, the Democrat (Koteck?), and everyone’s favorite contrarian Betsy Johnson. I actually think Betsy might have a lot of ingrown support in places like Clackamas and Salem area and the bluer stretches of the coast and more rural parts of Washington county. Obviously it’s still all working itself out but at this point I think there is a non-zero chance that Betsy and the Democrat (Koteck?) split enough votes to give Oregon a Republican governor. Interesting times

I had no idea Nicholas Kristof was running for Oregon governor.

Had anyone reached out to the Oregon Department of Revenue to find out if he's been paying state income taxes, since he claims to be a resident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Johnson actually doesn’t worry me a huge amount, maybe I’m misinformed but bog standard Reagan Democrats don’t seem to have much a future anywhere, I feel like the people who those arguments work for are just voting Republican at this point and wouldn’t have bothered with any of the Dem nominees regardless