Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The most glaring/disgusting racism in the PNW(specifically WA because I don't really have experience in other PNW states) exists as economic divides that stands out mostly when you look at where people live. When I was working in Seattle, I worked in an office that was almost entirely white. I was one of two latino dudes. They hired a gay black dude once, he was there maybe a week. The office was pretty much only comfortable for the straight white male stereotype.

That Seattle is any better in terms of racial diversity and acceptance is one of those myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Some fun Portland facts, a must read for anyone who's only lived here for 3 years or less!

We were a town who's entire industry revolved around sailors which meant prostitutes, booze, violence, drugs, and slavery. Things don't get tremendously better from this point forward.

Oregon hated black people and even after they were let into the state they were legally barred from living in Portland. We threw them out to live in their very seperate-but-terrible city of Vanport, which eventually grew to be the second largest city in the state. They even had public transit lines so they could come serve us as cheap labor! Vanport was built right on the river in temporary buildings, and was utterly destroyed in a flood. Only 15 people were killed, a miracle right! Wrong, because since the city of Portland had built the levy that was supposed to protect the town, we were publicly embarrassed, so we only counted how many white people were killed. How many blacks died? Who knows!

The public shaming that followed forced us to loosen our segregated housing laws, so we basically forced all the black people into a new neighborhood that they largely built themselves on the banks of the Willamette. This neighborhood was later bulldozed so we could move the freeway across the river from downtown, once more uprooting Portland's black community.

We used to have an entire section of the city where Japanese Americans settled, it was there for a long time. Then WW2 happened and we were so stoked to oppress these minorities that we actually started deporting our Japanese people a full week early from the required date. Then we ran full page spreads that proclaimed PORTLAND OREGON: AMERICA'S FIRST JAP FREE CITY!

All the confiscated buildings we stole from those filthy japs eventually went to poo poo because nobody wanted to own or live in them (mostly due to the dubious legality of the situation) so the whole neighborhood nosedived, eventually becoming the Old Town we actively avoid today! Then we renamed Old Town to Chinatown because Chinatowns were super chic at the time and we couldn't very well name it Japantown because then everyone would know of all the embarrassing racist poo poo we did and we can't have that because we're quite progressive you see.

Also you're not allowed to have rap concerts and our cops shot/tazed/beat so many mentally ill people that the state literally had to sue them to get them to stop they didn't stop though :ssh:

So with all this great history it's just super that everyone loves Portlandia, haha put a bird on it

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

foobardog posted:

Being black in Seattle in the midst of all the TechBros

This has been the case in Seattle long before tech bros showed up. See: Dan Savage and his racism that is accepted as progressive.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Some fun Portland facts, a must read for anyone who's only lived here for 3 years or less!

We were a town who's entire industry revolved around sailors which meant prostitutes, booze, violence, drugs, and slavery. Things don't get tremendously better from this point forward.

Oregon hated black people and even after they were let into the state they were legally barred from living in Portland. We threw them out to live in their very seperate-but-terrible city of Vanport, which eventually grew to be the second largest city in the state. They even had public transit lines so they could come serve us as cheap labor! Vanport was built right on the river in temporary buildings, and was utterly destroyed in a flood. Only 15 people were killed, a miracle right! Wrong, because since the city of Portland had built the levy that was supposed to protect the town, we were publicly embarrassed, so we only counted how many white people were killed. How many blacks died? Who knows!

The public shaming that followed forced us to loosen our segregated housing laws, so we basically forced all the black people into a new neighborhood that they largely built themselves on the banks of the Willamette. This neighborhood was later bulldozed so we could move the freeway across the river from downtown, once more uprooting Portland's black community.

We used to have an entire section of the city where Japanese Americans settled, it was there for a long time. Then WW2 happened and we were so stoked to oppress these minorities that we actually started deporting our Japanese people a full week early from the required date. Then we ran full page spreads that proclaimed PORTLAND OREGON: AMERICA'S FIRST JAP FREE CITY!

All the confiscated buildings we stole from those filthy japs eventually went to poo poo because nobody wanted to own or live in them (mostly due to the dubious legality of the situation) so the whole neighborhood nosedived, eventually becoming the Old Town we actively avoid today! Then we renamed Old Town to Chinatown because Chinatowns were super chic at the time and we couldn't very well name it Japantown because then everyone would know of all the embarrassing racist poo poo we did and we can't have that because we're quite progressive you see.

Also you're not allowed to have rap concerts and our cops shot/tazed/beat so many mentally ill people that the state literally had to sue them to get them to stop they didn't stop though :ssh:

So with all this great history it's just super that everyone loves Portlandia, haha put a bird on it

Good christ. This is amazing. Any sources for this crap? I wanna read more about how awful we were to black people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Seattle's history is pretty much the same

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Good christ. This is amazing. Any sources for this crap? I wanna read more about how awful we were to black people.

*Are

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Smithsonian did an ok write-up a bit back. It's not perfect but it does have lots of pictures of our own Lil Katrina.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/vanport-oregon-how-countrys-largest-housing-project-vanished-day-180954040/

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Read this too: https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/421-my-people-are-rising

Seattle had a very active Black Panther party. Then get depressed when you see the gentrification happening in the Central District. You'll understand how a super market can be an important part of a community: http://kuow.org/post/red-apple-heart-black-seattle-likely-close-making-way-vulcan The Black Panthers led a boycott against Safeway in the CD that kept the store out of the area for 30 years.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DevNull posted:

Read this too: https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/421-my-people-are-rising

Seattle had a very active Black Panther party. Then get depressed when you see the gentrification happening in the Central District. You'll understand how a super market can be an important part of a community: http://kuow.org/post/red-apple-heart-black-seattle-likely-close-making-way-vulcan The Black Panthers led a boycott against Safeway in the CD that kept the store out of the area for 30 years.

Put a fuckin bird on that

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

DevNull posted:

This has been the case in Seattle long before tech bros showed up. See: Dan Savage and his racism that is accepted as progressive.

Dan Savage is proof that all you need to be labeled progressive is to think that gay people are human.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

And here's a pretty good source for our treatment of the Japanese (rip Japantown, you were too cool and unique to survive here)

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/japanese_americans_in_oregon_immigrants_from_the_west/#.WHUqR3qIbqA

For example, remember when the Portland Expo Center was a horrific concentration camp?

quote:

Portland Assembly Center

The Portland Assembly Center had previously been used as stockyards, and the dirt ground that normally housed livestock was covered with a plank floor. Cubicles with eight-foot walls housed families, with space only large enough to accommodate family members' cots. Privacy was almost nonexistent. Night noises from adjoining cubicles could easily be heard over and through the thin walls.

The assembly center housed about 3,500 people. A board of leaders organized a small city within the center and set up a post office, security department, fire brigade, mess hall, and publishing office, along with recreational and educational activities. Residents ate meals in two shifts, served family style for maximum efficiency. Workers washed dishes quickly via an assembly line. For recreation, young people held dances, viewed movies once a week, and checked out sports equipment and games. Issei were generally bored, but eventually women's groups organized English and craft classes. There were church services conducted for various religions and denominations on Sundays. Despite these activities, the barbed wire and armed guards were a constant reminder that the civil rights of those of Japanese ancestry were being denied.

A number of exceptional incidents occurred in the Portland Assembly Center during its four months of existence. Dysentery broke out and there was a desperate rush to use the limited toilets. One can imagine the agony and desperation suffered by those afflicted. One day, a Military Police cook came through the gate to borrow food items from the center's kitchen. A Military Police guard shot him in broad daylight-a sobering sight for the internees. The incident that everyone remembered later occurred on a hot day in the spring of 1942, when the Center resembled an oven. The fire department came up with a solution. They would hose down the hallways and, as the water evaporated, the surfaces would cool down. It was a good idea, but they forgot one variable. As the halls were doused, water seeped through the plank floors and moistened the dirt and manure mixture underneath. The result was stench and hordes of flies. For days, thousands of flypaper rolls hung throughout the Center.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DevNull posted:

I read the Stranger pretty frequently, and maybe it's just my white privilege, but what are some examples of him being racist? I can't find any. I remember he got in trouble a lot because he used some anti-trans language at one point, but he's apologized and owned up to it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

I read the Stranger pretty frequently, and maybe it's just my white privilege, but what are some examples of him being racist? I can't find any. I remember he got in trouble a lot because he used some anti-trans language at one point, but he's apologized and owned up to it.
Here you go http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/11/black_homophobia

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oof, that's bad. Though it did appear he went on Colbert and tried to correct the record and blame old people for prop 8 instead.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Can't be racist when there aren't any black people around, right?!??

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
I live in a Condo on the East Side of Seattle, and this was recently came up last friday night on the only unit with a wheelchair bound woman in it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Oof, that's bad. Though it did appear he went on Colbert and tried to correct the record and blame old people for prop 8 instead.

Dan Savage doesn't give a gently caress about anyone who isn't a trim young white gay man.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Four people have died of exposure in Portland this year.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

Seattle's history is pretty much the same

Tacoma as well. The railroads were all built by Chinese labor, but no one really wanted them around after they were done. Sometime in the 1880s I think the entire Chinese population of the city was literally matched out of town and their homes burned down. To this day the Chinese population in the city is negligible.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In Seattle's Mohai there is a canning machine called the Iron Chink. Also in regards to ^ above this happened https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_riot_of_1886 although I think you are referencing the much less documented event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_riot_of_1885

Also in a vague attempt to lighten awful history, just like now Californian Transplants ruin everything.

quote:

embers of the Knights of Labor were leaders of the organized movement against Chinese workers in Seattle.[1][6] The Knights in Washington Territory were only loosely affiliated with the national organization. The chapter's organizer was Daniel Cronin, a 38-year-old carpenter who came to the Puget Sound area via California during the summer of 1885. Under Cronin's leadership, the Washington Knights of Labor went from a loose-knit band of workers to an organized and militant "brotherhood".[1] In September 1885, Cronin warned Seattle's workers that riot and bloodshed would follow during the winter if the Chinese were not removed. It was Cronin and the leadership of the Knights of Labor who planned for the systematic expulsion of Seattle's Chinese; the group organized a territorial anti-Chinese congress and declared that all Chinese must leave Seattle by November 1, 1885.[1] After forming local coordinating committees, Cronin stepped away from his post as Knights leader and left the Chinese expulsion, largely, to other individuals

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 11, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I live in a Condo on the East Side of Seattle, and this was recently came up last friday night on the only unit with a wheelchair bound woman in it.

So, is she ugly?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The old thread is open again, I guess?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I like this one better, it has less graphs.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
New year new thread. gently caress to old threads

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

The old thread is open again, I guess?
My bad, didn't notice the title was just using bookmarks. :downs:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I promise to never close this thread in a fit of rage :toxx:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

I promise to never close this thread in a fit of rage :toxx:

Your graphs are crap

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Your graphs are crap

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm convinced.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
why would i care about the Gap when LLBean has a presidential endorsement? sheesh

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here's a Slate article about Oregon's institutionalized racism, but this time with our criminal justice system:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/01/oregon_has_one_of_the_worst_criminal_justice_systems_in_the_u_s.html

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

RE: Japanese internment camps: Seattle had one called Camp Harmony aka the Puyallup fair grounds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Harmony

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
No graphs, no problem.

Who's ready to bust some heads on J20?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

...I know I'm late to PDXDonutChat but I'm just gonna mention that coco donuts are goddamn delicious.

racism is still real bad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone firebombed a mosque in Bellevue this morning https://www.launchgood.com/project/rebuilding_of_islamic_center_of_eastside_washington/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
They have a suspect in custody.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/bellevue-mosque-damaged-in-suspected-arson-fire/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Portland Mercury interviewed a protest group and a counter-protest group who have plans for the inauguration downtown http://www.portlandmercury.com/news/2017/01/18/18802072/as-donald-trump-becomes-president-portlands-streets-will-be-chaotic

Absent from this article is any mention of Michael Strickland, the guy who pointed a gun at a crowd of protesters in downtown Portland like six months ago.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Million Women March protest seems to be primarily by and for white women, and leftists are desperately trying to drag liberals, kicking and screaming, into any mild understanding of intersectionality http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2017...ump-supporters/

Also, lol

glowing-fish posted:

I mean, if this thread was meant to prove that so-called Midwesterners were parochial, ignorant, small minded, petty people who are trapped in a little world of their own creation, it has succeeded.

I have lived on three continents. I know you might not believe this, but in terms of the world, the cultural, geographic and economic difference between New York and Ohio are really not as existential as you imagine.

The only way they became existential is because you people hijacked the United States by getting Donald Trump to represent your petty grievances. But even if he manages to reduce the world to rubble, the reason behind it is still petty and imaginary.

Enjoy Donald Trump. Enjoy your freeway interchanges. Enjoy your flat landscape. Enjoy your claustrophobically empty horizon and lack of natural barriers. Enjoy thinking that because you are shopping at Walmart you are backwoods pioneers. You've earned it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hillary supporters still are in denial about why she lost and they think a little rally will do anything, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dudes been on three continents and still mostly lives on the Internet. :sad: