Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Some fun Portland facts, a must read for anyone who's only lived here for 3 years or less!

We were a town who's entire industry revolved around sailors which meant prostitutes, booze, violence, drugs, and slavery. Things don't get tremendously better from this point forward.

Oregon hated black people and even after they were let into the state they were legally barred from living in Portland. We threw them out to live in their very seperate-but-terrible city of Vanport, which eventually grew to be the second largest city in the state. They even had public transit lines so they could come serve us as cheap labor! Vanport was built right on the river in temporary buildings, and was utterly destroyed in a flood. Only 15 people were killed, a miracle right! Wrong, because since the city of Portland had built the levy that was supposed to protect the town, we were publicly embarrassed, so we only counted how many white people were killed. How many blacks died? Who knows!

The public shaming that followed forced us to loosen our segregated housing laws, so we basically forced all the black people into a new neighborhood that they largely built themselves on the banks of the Willamette. This neighborhood was later bulldozed so we could move the freeway across the river from downtown, once more uprooting Portland's black community.

We used to have an entire section of the city where Japanese Americans settled, it was there for a long time. Then WW2 happened and we were so stoked to oppress these minorities that we actually started deporting our Japanese people a full week early from the required date. Then we ran full page spreads that proclaimed PORTLAND OREGON: AMERICA'S FIRST JAP FREE CITY!

All the confiscated buildings we stole from those filthy japs eventually went to poo poo because nobody wanted to own or live in them (mostly due to the dubious legality of the situation) so the whole neighborhood nosedived, eventually becoming the Old Town we actively avoid today! Then we renamed Old Town to Chinatown because Chinatowns were super chic at the time and we couldn't very well name it Japantown because then everyone would know of all the embarrassing racist poo poo we did and we can't have that because we're quite progressive you see.

Also you're not allowed to have rap concerts and our cops shot/tazed/beat so many mentally ill people that the state literally had to sue them to get them to stop they didn't stop though :ssh:

So with all this great history it's just super that everyone loves Portlandia, haha put a bird on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Good christ. This is amazing. Any sources for this crap? I wanna read more about how awful we were to black people.

Smithsonian did an ok write-up a bit back. It's not perfect but it does have lots of pictures of our own Lil Katrina.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/vanport-oregon-how-countrys-largest-housing-project-vanished-day-180954040/

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

And here's a pretty good source for our treatment of the Japanese (rip Japantown, you were too cool and unique to survive here)

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/japanese_americans_in_oregon_immigrants_from_the_west/#.WHUqR3qIbqA

For example, remember when the Portland Expo Center was a horrific concentration camp?

quote:

Portland Assembly Center

The Portland Assembly Center had previously been used as stockyards, and the dirt ground that normally housed livestock was covered with a plank floor. Cubicles with eight-foot walls housed families, with space only large enough to accommodate family members' cots. Privacy was almost nonexistent. Night noises from adjoining cubicles could easily be heard over and through the thin walls.

The assembly center housed about 3,500 people. A board of leaders organized a small city within the center and set up a post office, security department, fire brigade, mess hall, and publishing office, along with recreational and educational activities. Residents ate meals in two shifts, served family style for maximum efficiency. Workers washed dishes quickly via an assembly line. For recreation, young people held dances, viewed movies once a week, and checked out sports equipment and games. Issei were generally bored, but eventually women's groups organized English and craft classes. There were church services conducted for various religions and denominations on Sundays. Despite these activities, the barbed wire and armed guards were a constant reminder that the civil rights of those of Japanese ancestry were being denied.

A number of exceptional incidents occurred in the Portland Assembly Center during its four months of existence. Dysentery broke out and there was a desperate rush to use the limited toilets. One can imagine the agony and desperation suffered by those afflicted. One day, a Military Police cook came through the gate to borrow food items from the center's kitchen. A Military Police guard shot him in broad daylight-a sobering sight for the internees. The incident that everyone remembered later occurred on a hot day in the spring of 1942, when the Center resembled an oven. The fire department came up with a solution. They would hose down the hallways and, as the water evaporated, the surfaces would cool down. It was a good idea, but they forgot one variable. As the halls were doused, water seeped through the plank floors and moistened the dirt and manure mixture underneath. The result was stench and hordes of flies. For days, thousands of flypaper rolls hung throughout the Center.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Oof, that's bad. Though it did appear he went on Colbert and tried to correct the record and blame old people for prop 8 instead.

Dan Savage doesn't give a gently caress about anyone who isn't a trim young white gay man.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I, personally, lust for Quake Death

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I haven't really left lane county in a decade or more,

:stare:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Get Into Jail Free cards, nice

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, gently caress those bikes and gently caress you too

For real, Nike can eat a big loving dick.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Ted is in so far over his head that he can't see sunlight.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Also, here's an article about a ton of concurrent Portland Police "scandals" http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-portland-oregon-police-2017-story.html

quote:

With yet another police chief under suspicion and on forced leave, Portland, Ore., seems to have taken another step towards becoming a real life “Portlandia,” the absurdist TV series.

kill me

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

PNW Thread: mayor nuts and train jails

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This could sicken 10s of people!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Peachfart posted:

Uh huh. I'm sure I will see all you revolutionaries on the news shortly, taking back the country from the Nazis.
You all sound like the nuts on Free Republic, keeping your powder dry.

So since you're the wisest, most levelheaded person in the room what do you suggest people (especially PoC) do about the rising tide of fascism and white supremacism?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

My favorite is the guy who signed his racist note.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Javid posted:

"But it's THE LAW!!!"

*commits reckless driving and illegally undertakes on the right in a fit of rage*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

One police officer got a widdle boo-boo on him arm, and that's why they need to wear full riot gear, because it could have been a bigger ouchie. Content warning for this image! View at your own risk!

This is the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Peter DeFazio, a long-standing and highly popular Democrat representative in Oregon, voted in favor of "Kate's Law".

I used to have to work with DeFazio off and on for a number of years and this doesn't really surprise me. That dude is loving crazy.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

It is a very well-known place. They even have one in the airport now.

The storyline is that this article came up in the Oregonian on Friday, and then the following Monday he was fired. This follow-up article describes how one of the owners, Ken Gordon, got upset at how he was described by the Oregonian and by social media, but by now he's calmed down. He's posted an apology on Facebook and there's also this Facebook post on their wall, signed by a number of Kenny & Zuke's employees, agreeing that the employee should have been fired, and that it had nothing to do with Friday's article. Maybe they're right? Maybe they were coerced? :iiam:

Literally everything that isn't a journalist is deleted/blocked in this, guess things still weren't going the overpriced delis way!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Hey, you never said why DeFazio was crazy. Why's he crazy? I genuinely want to know.

Oh yeah I forgot! It's not so much any one thing just that he has really odd mannerisms and seems to have serious trouble keeping himself in check. Just adds up to a weird dude who was really unpleasant to have to spend time with.

He started screaming at an intern once who asked why he was so against carbon credits (which really dates these stories lol), just really laying into her calling her dumb/stupid, it was incredibly awkward. Another time we were phone banking and he stated that the script was 'garbage' and proceeded to dial without it, immediately getting into a huge argument with some random answerer for like over an hour (on a 2 hour appearance).

I also, and I swear to god this is true, watched him smear a shitload of mayo between two leftover pitas and eat it like a sandwich. I don't know if he's just out of touch or on the spectrum or what exactly is his deal.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

Is there a way I could do this stuff long distance? So I have somewhere to go to when I get there so I don't have to Air BnB?

No.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

heyooooo

Also in other Portland police news, things kind of seem like a mess right now

It's kind of amazing how weird it is that Wheeler is so pants-pissingly scared of doing anything that might piss off the cops and their union.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

George posted:

Seattle is poo poo, move to Oregon instead.

Seattle is one of the cultural capitals of the world and is rightly one of the most popular cities in America.

Oregon is a loving hellhole.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Reene posted:

Patriot Prayer types are hitting Seattle/Westlake today I guess

please be safe if you are protesting, friends

Had a friend who saw fully swastika'd bikers moving north on I5 yesterday. This has the potential to be bad, hope everyone up there stays safe.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

That Jones confrontation clip is so phony I'm surprised Vince McMahon isn't calling commentary from a desk across the street.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Oh my god

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Dino Rossi probably has a good chance of winning, though? He's got name recognition even if he's lost everything that he's run for, and Auburn is pretty red as hell.

You guys have a Ron Saxton too!?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has anyone formed an opinion on Danielle Outlaw? Outside of the Judge Dredd name all I know is that she came to prominence in Oakland implementing reforms around cop/citizen interaction that were forced on the city via a lawsuit. Apparently they implemented changes to procedure based on observations made from cops body cam footage about what works and what doesn't when engaging with the public. I could be about that if it helps PPD be less racist and lovely.

Oakland's police department is an absolute dumpster fire of incompetence, corruption, sexual harassment. Literally anyone involved is suspect at some level or another.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like calling Oakland's police department a dumpster fire is unfair to dumpster fires.

You're right, my comments were way out of line and I hope dumpster fires everywhere can forgive me.

therobit posted:

I mean unless you are expecting miracles, wouldn't it be better to evaluate whether Oakland PD was more or less of a dumpster fire at the end of her tenure than it was at the beginning of it?

She came up in Oakland PD and spent like 20 years there, if her hands are clean it's a loving miracle

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I don't think Portland wants to pay for infrastructure going into Washington, and I know I don't want to pay for poo poo for Vancouver.

If Vancouver wants light rail or roads, they should pay for it. Ideally through tolling.

:lol: that you think WA right wingers will ever allow the Crime Train™ to bring filthy poors across the river

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Apparently the Oregonian has a poll for 2017 person of the year, and one of the people they picked is the leader of a local nazi group and wouldn't you know it he's winning https://twitter.com/jyu_pdx/status/940707662705991680

Other entries in this list include the two men murdered by a different nazi earlier this year, and the third man who was injured in that attack.

Stormfront is actively troll bombing the poll.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

The poll is an accurate representative of Olive comments section, so what are you going to do?

punch nazis I guess idk

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is just that Oregon is sometimes held up as a "liberal paradise"...it isn't.

Only people who aren't from/don't live in Oregon actually believe this. Oregon is a red state with a blue spot big enough to crush the outlier communities. Most of the time anyway.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Eugene loving sucks.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

JohnnySavs posted:

There are tons of Subway franchises that are closing nationwise amid complaints that the pricing promotions make it impossible to turn a profit. But no, it's a livable minimum wage in a dense urban area with lots of disposable income.

That and the company has cut way way back on both ingredient quality and supply. Shocker that people don't want to eat literal half rotted garbage even if it does cost $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Well that and their long term spokesman turned out to be a huge pedo. Probably hasn't helped matters much.