Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Meydey posted:

I'm fine with making the border along the Cascades. Maybe all the way to Ellensburg so we get Leavenworth, but leave out Yakima.
Cascadia can look like the northern version of Chile.

Why are you cutting out all the minorities on the east side in Yakima and the wine (which I don't drink)?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Yeah if I want a top dollar Luxury Donut I'll go to Blue Star. They're really good. If I want an average donut I'll go to Heavenly or something.

I remember Heavenly Donuts being really bad for some reason at least the one off Lombard, I was probably quite drunk and vomited them up though and thus have negative associations. One of the only okay things about Voodoo and what constituted 95% of the Voodoo donuts I ate were those cheap buckets of donuts people would get ahold of for club events at UP it was a wash what ended up in them however and sometimes they just had crap.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In Seattle's Mohai there is a canning machine called the Iron Chink. Also in regards to ^ above this happened https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_riot_of_1886 although I think you are referencing the much less documented event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_riot_of_1885

Also in a vague attempt to lighten awful history, just like now Californian Transplants ruin everything.

quote:

embers of the Knights of Labor were leaders of the organized movement against Chinese workers in Seattle.[1][6] The Knights in Washington Territory were only loosely affiliated with the national organization. The chapter's organizer was Daniel Cronin, a 38-year-old carpenter who came to the Puget Sound area via California during the summer of 1885. Under Cronin's leadership, the Washington Knights of Labor went from a loose-knit band of workers to an organized and militant "brotherhood".[1] In September 1885, Cronin warned Seattle's workers that riot and bloodshed would follow during the winter if the Chinese were not removed. It was Cronin and the leadership of the Knights of Labor who planned for the systematic expulsion of Seattle's Chinese; the group organized a territorial anti-Chinese congress and declared that all Chinese must leave Seattle by November 1, 1885.[1] After forming local coordinating committees, Cronin stepped away from his post as Knights leader and left the Chinese expulsion, largely, to other individuals

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 11, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Can we just pick one PNW thread to use?

Or is this a commentary on the deep divide between Seattle/Portland and everyone else?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

To the person who implied California can get into Cascadia or is part of the PNW just no Yankee go home!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

While its stupid regardless alot of people I know who are not white were bitching about ST3 because they cant afford to live in Seattle and dont work there and wont see any of the transit options reach them till their in their late 40's with St3 vs their 50's without the funding.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Have the state issue hunting tags for the Homeless, however they are for a single individual and if you fail to murder catch and release (to Spokane) your target they get your house.

Seriously thought the homeless people in this city don't really scare me, but its annoying riding the bus etc. next to someone who smells like death, or is batshit crazy and tweaking, holding up the bus because they don't want to pay and want to get in a fight with the poor bus driver or some other random fucker which then calls the cops and you are now late to/from work, or they pass out for ~reasons~ and now an ambulance needs to show up and take them to the ER.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

George posted:

Poor baby.

Sorry I guess I should be bitching about WASP's complaining about paying more in car tabs instead.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

xrunner posted:

Probably make you seem like less of an rear end in a top hat than bitching about how seeing poverty is inconvenient

Speaking of, check out this totally legit and not targeted at the homeless action from those wacky goobers in Eugene. http://www.opb.org/news/article/dog-ban-oregon-eugene-downtown-approved/

True sorry for coming across like an rear end in a top hat. Homlessness and poverty are bad, the way alot of city resources get misallocated on the issue is bad ( not that resources shouldnt be allovated) however a huge amount of expensive police/fire/hospital resources are tied up dealing with issues that could be handled more effectively. On the flip side the cities plans dont seem like they will be terribly effective.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mr. Lobe posted:

20,000 dollars were spent on paying cops to try to throw away the few meager possessions belonging to the homeless near the Field of Dreams. That is how this city is "misallocating" resources. Maybe go drink a nice tall glass of go gently caress yourself.

Thats part of what I meant? Paying police money to go into these camps and clean them outis a giant waste of resources? Paying the fire department to give Narcon to a transient who OD'd and take him to an emergency room which will release them in a few days to the streets without a treatment programjust burns money and doesnt solve anything. King County sheriffs dropping people off in Seattle so they make it Seattles problems are also hosed up.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

ElCondemn posted:

He had to sit next to someone smelly on the bus though! We can't ignore the REAL issues here...

Yeah crazy people causing disturbences on transit totally dont eat up lots of time and money, disrupt service and make the system less reliable, riders fell unsafe etc. which makes people less likely to use the system which just adds to the cities lovely traffic.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thank you thst was interesting I will try to look at it from another angle. I can see how my bitching is misdirected and even if its not directed at hating homeless it still dehumanizes them from people into a generic problem.

Unhelpful lashing out wont make anyone reconsider anything and just double down on their views.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

George posted:

We're being harsh, but you don't get to pull this act. Your moral and societal education is your responsibility, not ours. You're welcome for the hand-out.

I love how all the folks who complain about the homeless would come out ahead if we built free homes for them but it's more important to punish people for having the temerity to be poor.

Except I dont agree with the no free homes and help support them getting off the street position.. I dont particulaily like my encounters with them, but I do think thet deserve a better shake than the cities current policies appear to be. I would imagine you have a better picture as you mention workinf for the Parks and pretty disdainful about what your departments been told.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

Judging by your last couple posts it looks like you are more concerned about the poor affecting you, personally, by existing in public within your vicinity.

Poor people in general dont bother me it was this small subset of maybe like 8 people in the last few months who bothered me enough to write a dumb rant and then make some stupid comments. I am not really doing that great either financially and if it came across as punching down the last few months have been frustrating for myself not that it is a good excuse.

Im not exactly mad about getting ribbed here it make take a bit of a step back and realize the little bubble I've been in.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

twodot posted:

Maybe this is true generally, but you seem to be specifically incorrect in this particular context.

No it makes sense its the same kind of situation you get in elections when orher people my age decide eh my vote doesnt matter despite complaining about how bad - insert party/person here- and then dont bother to vote on election day, then get surprised when bam now you dont have healthcare.Because the party you didnt want to win won because ypu didnt really care enough to take msrginal action.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

twodot posted:

I don't follow. Is your suggestion here that if I encounter a person on the Internet saying "my vote doesn't matter and person X is bad" and I agree that person X is bad, I should immediately assume 1) They are whatever age you are 2) That they aren't going to vote on election day 3) They will be surprised by whatever happens after the next election, and therefore it's reasonable for me to just start shouting at them about how they are lazy idiots because of an event that hasn't even happened yet?

You're an ally on this particular topic, yelling at you for being an ally for the wrong reasons is counterproductive to that particular topic. If the fact that you're an ally for the wrong reasons ever turns you into an enemy, that's when you shout at people.

Well nothats not what I was trying to say yelling at people generally doesnt work or telling them their bad tends to close people up. The point I guess I was trying to make is that people who only are lukewarm supporters when push comes to shove you cant count on them not stepping out of the way instead of providing support.

Like hey we could get the homless off the street by uppin property tax which sure I support in theory. However since I am being selfish I hear said new tax will pump up my rent I decide eh gently caress it fixing the homeless problem isnt worth it. That kind of support is quick to evaporate and if you really care about an issue those types of people are insanely frustrating to deal with.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Relevant Tangent posted:

Donald Trump doesn't know where the PNW is. Seriously, the time he showed up in Washington state he thought he'd been kidnapped.

Did he have a rally in Spokane?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

double post

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Should post it in the climate change prepper thread.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also in the spirit of trying to better understand issues are there some good sources on better understanding on what is going on? and what are some organizations people are involved in where I can try to help improve the situation instead of just griping about it?

Also stop defending me I can deal with it on my own.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

George posted:

Seattle is pretty white but it's not Portland. Its biggest issue is segregation, which is why someone living in parts of it could be forgiven for thinking so.

Where I live now in Ballard is way more white than where I grew up in around Tacoma and yes the amount of people who think Burien/Federal Way/Auburn etc. are all war-torn ghetto's is really loving weird to me.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That can't possibly be right or it has to include the entire MSA otherwise in the 2010 census there was ~610,000 people and the 2015 estimate is around ~684451 (pulled out of Wikipedia's rear end) if Seattle is actually adding 2000 people a week that means that population that grew by about 14,800 a year over that period has ballooned to 104,000 people a year if you multiply 52*2000, Seattle is growing alot but that rate of increase is unprecedented.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

Maybe they are counting the suburbs in the ~2k/week number.

It has to be MSA if the number isn't completely made up just a quick glance at Wikipedia the Seattle-Tacoma, WA Combined Statistical Area has a increase from 4274767 in the 2010 Census to 4,526,991 in 2014 Estimate, again it seems crazy to me this would balloon from 63,000 a year to 104,000 however that is much less of a leap than using the number for Seattle alone.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The nice thing about the viaduct is you got an excellent view of the sound when stuck in traffic.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RuanGacho posted:

The problem is people who live in Vancouver tend to be tax cheats in that they use Portland for services but dont want to pay taxes and use an artificial line created by governments to avoid them.

I have this vague idea in my head that we should use some sort of computer model to determine distance from services so people cant play the tax equivalent of sitting in the back seat of the car with their fingers an inch from your face going "nah nah im not touching you!"

Of course fixing such a thing would probably make Vancouver disappear overnight.

I interviewed with a company called Fisher Investments that moved from California to Vancouver, and they said well "We wanted to move to a place all our employees and executives wouldn't have to pay taxes"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

In the end, the plan was done in by the Coast Guard, because the final design for a bridge was too low, and so the Coast Guard wouldn't sign off on it, and then it was too late to redesign a correct bridge because the entire project hinged on getting a one-time infrastructure grant from the federal government, and the grant said projects had to begin by a certain date.

This sounds familiar *Seattle Light Rail* (well not the coastguard bit, but the plan relying on one time federal funds)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Senor P. posted:

Alright, please explain to me how having a Washington state tax, will magically make this place a utopia?

Making it a Utopia is hyperbole, however an income tax would raise revenue statewide to potentially fund a variety of poo poo that is underfunded because lol sales tax revenue shortfalls. Also Eastern Wa gets more in state tax spending per capita the Seattle and the Sound btw.

Also one reason utilities have gone up is Water/Electric have been making large infrastructure investments such as reclaimed water plants etc. Water is technically cheaper in the Southwest because gently caress resource management lets just drill for more non replaceable ground waterand anyway Utilities are divested from state tax spending?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Senor P. posted:

Hmmm last time I checked most of the electricity generated in Washington and Oregon come from dams and wind farms along the Columbia river. Most of those dams and wind farms are on the centeral and eastern side of the state. (There also if I remember correctly, a couple of gas plants, 2 medium to large coal plans, and 1 active nuclear plant.)

Transmission lines and roads to maintain that electrical link isn't cheap. You also have the East-West interstates of I-90 and I-84 which supply a large amount of interstate commerce for Washington.

Uhhh... Yeah and the income tax would partially go to upgrading and maintaining this stuff its not like the state money is going into artisan dave chihuly glass pipes for crack addicted single moms in Tacoma?

Also we seriously have the cheapest electricity in the country and possibly the world in the PNW.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solkanar512 posted:

Aren't state income taxes deductible with respect to federal taxes anyway? I know it's not a one to one exchange, but I certainly wouldn't mind what amounts to some of our federal funding staying home. The improvement in our insanely regressive taxes would also be a huge relief to many as well. And besides, diversifying sources of revenue makes it more stable in general.

That being said, I think Senior P makes a rather interesting point. If you're working insane hours or in labor intensive positions, it really takes a toll. I can certainly see how the basic costs go up when you have little time or energy from having worked so hard. I'm not sure how to translate that into a meaningful legislative solution, but I think folks are being awfully reactionary to just call it "FYGM".

You can deduct state sales tax too, however if your state has both you can only deduct one or tje other. However this is itemizeable only so lol gently caress poor people who dont itemize. (Not because they dont know how they dont have the deductible expenses)

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

Because it would be impossible to manage and tax policy is usually altered for a reason. Which jobs are 'hard work'? Do you want to go through and make catagories for all of them? And wouldn't this open up situations where someone is paid a lower salary but 'works' 100 hours a week to avoid taxes?
It's not worth messing with. If you want to help blue collar workers, reduce sales taxes, tax higher incomes, and use that money for expanded services and health care.

Also a hypothetical state income tax should let you deduct rent.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Accretionist posted:

That's why everyone's first $0 to $10,000 or so is taxed at 0%.

Edit: If you want to lower taxes on the lower/middle class, cut regressive taxes or shift tax-revenue from regressive to progressive taxes to redistribute liability up the income gradient.

I dont disagree with you, the tax system does need an overhaul, however good luck passing comprehensive tax reform thats not regressive as gently caress in the near future.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Wages are just a small part of the cost. Think about how much it costs to insure two employees vs one.

The solution obviously is to cut benefits to hire a second worker!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

Whoever pays you ought to give you a massive bonus to retain such a brilliant, highly-specialized skillset.

I try sometimes to apply the lessons I learned in business school.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

it wouldn't be for you, it would be for "small" "businesses"

Just incorporate your person.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted:

Turns out we're gonna have a surfeit of cash, but will we be spending it on sheltering the homeless, will will we give it to the police, or is maybe a grant for a waterfront property developer? Only time will tell!

Oh boy I hope it goes to helping the needy property developers how else will Portland compete with Seattle in bad decisions!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

xrunner posted:

Dude. If they don't build cheaply constructed high end 'luxury' condos than where will people live? We're in a housing crisis and really the only way out is to build housing for rich people.

Well yeah in 10 years they will fall into disrepair from being cheaply built thus becoming low income housing!So we're not just fixing the housing problem, were fixing potential housing problems 10 years into the future while the upper middle classes can move into newer luxury condo's and the cycle continues.

DevNull posted:

We are done with Bertha if you can't come up with any better ideas.

We shouldn't stop digging with Bertha we just need to keep drilling and make underground Seattle great again!!!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

silicone thrills posted:

People being so painfully stupid about OMGATOMZZZ is really quite awful. I get sad every time I drive past those cooling towers south of Olympia.

From what I can tell that was less fear mongering about nuclear power and just the plants really weren't needed by the 80's as energy demand had peaked in the area, and cost overruns on the projects caused WPSS to go default on their bonds.

Although it is kind of goofy because the plant in Elma was like 75% finished which is a shame.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lazy_Liberal posted:

can you imagine if folks killed police for brandishing their actual guns. because I can. and it's beautiful :allears:

:jerkbag: Yeah because killing people is cool and good and I foresee no issues stemming from that.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Venuz Patrol posted:

not people. cops.

Excellent double standard there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

anthonypants posted: