Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

got any sevens posted:

There are billboards around tukwila that say there's a lot of kid trafficing here but I've never seen it so I can't really fight it :shrug:

Trafficking tends to hide in plain sight. Take a drive through highway 99 in Everett and count how many sketchy massage parlors you see. Chances are all the women there are trafficking victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been trying to look for it, but there was an article / opinion piece ran in the Seattle Times after a major tragedy (I think the Charleston church shooting?) where the author basically patted himself on the back and said something to the effect of "other cities need to be like us when it comes to racial diversity." It kind of speaks to the mentality that we think we're all great at race relations because lynching didn't start here. Seattle and Portland has real racial issues, but I'd say they're different from the ones in the South.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DevNull posted:

This has been the case in Seattle long before tech bros showed up. See: Dan Savage and his racism that is accepted as progressive.

I read the Stranger pretty frequently, and maybe it's just my white privilege, but what are some examples of him being racist? I can't find any. I remember he got in trouble a lot because he used some anti-trans language at one point, but he's apologized and owned up to it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oof, that's bad. Though it did appear he went on Colbert and tried to correct the record and blame old people for prop 8 instead.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

Seattle Times has named the victim, but not the shooter, out of their respect for fascism. Remarkably, they also printed this:

I read that this morning, and thought it was total bullshit. Also, I have a bad feeling the shooter won't get charged, claiming "self-defense" even though he brought a gun on the UW campus.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Lobe posted:

The thing that really makes me mad is that the president of UW has made statements after the shooting that blame both sides equally, as though the Antifa are just as much to blame that they got shot as the reactionary who brought a loving gun and used it at a scene like that.

I read her statement too. Basically it read like "I wanted to shut it down because I too, did not agree with the message. But I didn't want to have to deal with angry e-mails from the alt-right so I let it happen!"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Of course the Seattle Times editorial board is stating that it's good that Milo was able to speak at UW, because we need to hear "differing opinions":

http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/an-important-lesson-at-the-uw-on-free-speech/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

Here's a list of Washington initiatives you don't want to sign petitions for, if you live in Washington: https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/Initiatives.aspx?y=2017&t=p

Tim Eyman hasn't had an initiative qualify for the ballot since 2013. He hasn't had a ballot pass on a statewide level and not be ruled unconstitutional since 2005. I think most people see through his crap now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

xrunner posted:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...t2box_targeted_

And charged with sexual abuse. Dont have sex with 17 year olds, folks, especially if you're in the public eye, but really, unless you're also 17, just don't at all.

Oregon doesn't have a Romeo & Juliet law? :psyduck:

edit: I guess they do, and it's 3 years. Still, he wouldn't have been charged with anything in WA state for doing the exact same thing.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bob Ferguson is a cool dude. In his time as WA's AG, he's gone after Comcast for their predatory practices, targeted apartments that discriminate against minorities, and now this. I really hope he aims for a higher office after his term.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

The victim should be able to press charges but in the end that's up to him

He's probably not in much state of mind to be pressing charges :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Remember that woman that refused to sell flowers to the gay couple for their wedding? She got her rear end handed to her in WA state supreme court:

https://thinkprogress.org/washington-supreme-court-arlenes-flowers-d15c3d7f3150#.pksqoyfb8

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As a side note, neo-nazis like to hide razor blades behind stuff they post, so that if it gets torn off, the person tearing it gets cut. So exercise caution when pulling them off and consider using a tool of some sort to not hurt yourself.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A bunch of places are hinting that Jay Inslee might run for President in 2020, especially after his national profile got boosted from those wins against Trump's travel ban.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Last time the state tried to lower car tab prices, it ended up being ruled unconstitutional.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This was spotted at the Capitol Hill light rail station:

e: apparently it's satire and was created by this guy as an art-piece: http://www.plasticjesus.net/

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 7, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

George posted:

It's worse than that. I work for Parks and Rec, and we literally had a meeting where they explained that we were part of the city's homelessness strategy. Which is to say parks are the only facilities they get and good luck making that work well for anyone.

This poo poo isn't complicated: if you want the homeless out of the way you give them homes.

Alternatively:

(but seriously, I wish we'd just nut up and do some housing for the homeless)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Seattle being mostly white, this is a good article about being black in Seattle:

https://medium.com/@ItsRonnieMf/black-in-seattle-3f67cb01961a#.d4pq70jr0

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was driving through Beacon Hill once and got mooned full rear end by a homeless person. Great experience.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised no one has posted about Tim Eyman getting his rear end sued by Bob Ferguson for misappropriating campaign donations for his own personal use!

I hope that rear end in a top hat goes down hard.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bertha finally... birthed. We are one step closer to getting the tunnel none of us wanted!

(First we need to tear down the viaduct, then build a highway in the tunnel, then finish new surface streets, so uh... see you in 2019)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If WA adopted an income tax and ditched the sales tax, would Vancouver collapse upon itself like a neutron star?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bellevue City Councilman re: building a men's homeless shelter - “We want to make sure the scourge that is on Seattle’s doorstep does not come over here.”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
:rip: this guy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So uh, this is kind of big news, but Ed Murray has a lawsuit against him because the plantiff argues that Murray sexually abused him when he was 15: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/lawsuit-alleges-seattle-mayor-ed-murray-sexually-abused-troubled-teen-in-1980s/

This isn't the first allegations against Murray. But Murray, despite denying the claims, canceled a news conference about police accountability when this came up.

Uh, this could get messy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Lobe posted:

Considering this is Mayor Homeless Sweeps himself, I wouldn't put it past him to take advantage of a youth in a bad position.

While I am in no way thrilled with what Murray may have done, the silver lining of this is that it may help Nikkita Oliver a more compelling candidate to more people. There's a lot to be said for not having a sexual assault scandal on your political docket in an election cycle.

I'm not a big fan of Murray either. I think he's made the homeless problem worse. I wanted McGinn to win reelection. But even if the lawsuit is unfounded, I don't know if Murray can survive it, despite him raising a lot of money for reelection.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

RuanGacho posted:

Seattle mayors seem to have a pretty short career span in general. I don't remember the last time there was a Seattle mayor that people didn't think hadn't hosed up some particular thing badly.

A few pages ago before TAXES came up, but Norm Rice was a pretty cool dude. He left office for arguably the worst mayor ever - Paul Schell, who's biggest claim to fame was hosting the ill-advised WTO meeting in Seattle.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The case against Ed Murray is gonna be weird:

quote:

On April 11, Bob Sulkin, Murray’s attorney, released a doctor’s report the defense team says disproves a claim in D.H.’s civil lawsuit that said the mayor had a “unique mole on his scrotum” at the time of the alleged assaults. The report says Murray has no moles, freckles, or other marks or bumps on his genitals and no signs of such marks or bumps being removed. “This is the heart of the case. This is what they were pushing at. What does he have left?” Sulkin said, insinuating that D.H.’s lawsuit should be dead on arrival.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
portland.txt:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/portland_steak-centric_strip_c.html

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

xrunner posted:

How's your Police Union? Down here he'd be back on patrol next week.

Hit or miss. We've been able to get rid of some lovely cops. Like the one who arrested a man for walking across the street using a golf club as a cane. I know if you followed the union's Facebook page, you'd see some incredibly racist memes there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There are police in other countries that don't carry weapons, and actually act as a public servant of some sort. I dunno why we couldn't have that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea who will win Seattle mayor. Oliver seems like a long shot, considering she hasn't raised much money. McGinn has name recognition, but also lost to Murray last time around, and I feel people will unfairly blame him for Bertha's bullshit. Hasegawa will probably be the front runner and get all the endorsements / campaign contributions. He seems alright, but I'd definitely prefer Oliver.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sawant's statement about workers being able to retool the factory for buses (or whatever) is wrong, but the core tenant of what she was thinking was right. Boeing has been slowly loving over its workers and taxpayers for some time. Both by union busting, corporate welfare, and automation. I would not be surprised to see the 787 line be moved 100% to South Carolina in 5 years or less. Workers in South Carolina are also realizing that the honeymoon is over, since they're realizing their pay sucks, and Boeing can get rid of people more easily with no union protection (although they'll refuse unionizing).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Freakazoid_ posted:

You guys make it sound like boeing workers pretty much have to eat poo poo.

Theres a generational difference between older employees and new ones. Older employees talk about how great a company it is because they were treated well, are going to retire with a nice pension, etc. And younger employees are disillusioned with the company since they've seen the company attempt to strip away the benefits and try to move the work elsewhere.

The machinists probably are more screwed because there's still not a lot of other manufacturing places up in the area. Office workers are usually free to leave for Microsoft or Amazon for higher pay, which is a trend that Boeing is failing to handle.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like there were a decent amount of Boeing machinists who voted Trump because "globalization bad" and masculinity issues. I doubt we'll ever get a true number but I remember the Seattle Times doing articles on people like that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle and Portland police are... not good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The soda tax sounded like a good idea, then I found out it also will tax bubble tea, and I'm a little sad :smith: somehow lattes aren't taxed though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Everything you need to know about Ballmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuDS0ntaJY

Also, hot take on the Evergreen State College situation: Weinstein lost all support as a progressive when he decided to go on Tucker Carlson's show and act like he was the victim.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

No, he pretty much immediately ran to conservative media outlets when this all started. He was on the Joe Rogan Experience like two weeks ago.

That was... kind of my point? :confused: I watched VICE's segment on the fiasco, and he was interviewed, and he said he saw himself as a progressive. But he went to suck on the conservative teat when it was convenient for him to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I mean, I see people going slow in the left lane, but rarely enough to feel like my rights have been impeded on. This just feels like one of those "I'm right and want to punish those who are wrong" laws. And also whoever pointed out that it will probably be used against minorities unjustly is right, too.