Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So heading into the new year, Wrestlemania 33 will start to shape up. While we already know some parts of it (Big Show vs Shaq), and others have been heavily foreshadowed (Seth Rollins vs HHH), a lot of it is unknown. Here's a thread so that you can formulate and book what you think/want Wrestlemania to be, and discuss people's predictions/stupid bullshit.
While trying to make this card it really dawned on me the sheer scale of how big the roster is, and many championships there are. I would argue you can't begin to have them all defended on one show.

There are some pretty big assumptions on availability here (no Finn, Rock can have a match), and the massive assumption that WWE won't just do the thing of having Goldberg - Brock 3.

TL;DR Card
Goldberg vs Roman Reigns - Universal Championship
AJ Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton vs Dean Ambrose - WWE Championship
Undertaker vs John Cena
Brock Lesnar vs The Rock
Shaq vs Big Show
Seth Rollins vs HHH
Charlotte vs Bayley
Becky Lynch vs Mickie James
Big clusterfuck ladder match- US Championship

Pre Show
Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
Random give all the women a thing to do match
Neville vs Akira Tozawa - Cruiserweight Championship

Goldberg vs Roman Reigns - Universal Championship
Goldberg won the rumble (punking Brock again in the process because that would be cool), and now hopes to retire as champion, never having once taken a clean loss, beating everyone ever and being the greatest of all time. Roman Reigns is of course the golden boy, and would be a good stylistic opponent for Goldberg.
gently caress it, have Goldberg win, it'd be awesome. Sure, it's harmful long term to the WWE, and fails to create new stars, but that hasn't stopped them before. It'd be awesome.

AJ Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton vs Dean Ambrose - WWE Championship
Fatal 4 way. Place Randy Orton's allegience still unknown at this point, creating a match with a dynamic of quasi 2 faces vs 2 heels, and have the winner be the one who makes the most sense based on popularity and plotline. But gently caress it, let's say Bray Wyatt finally wins, possibly with Harper or Strowman's help.

Undertaker vs John Cena
I was originally thinking to have Cena fail at the rumble and have his big moment of equalling Ric Flair's imaginary record happen at Wrestlemania against a guy he's 0-3 against. But really, who the hell else would have face undertaker? Have Undertaker win.

Brock Lesnar vs The Rock
This match would be an incredible draw, and possibly a very good match. Problem is that the Rock can't get injured, while recklessly throwing people around is Brock's thing. Nevertheless, it's what I'd want to see on the Wrestlemania card.

Shaq vs Big Show
Shaq wins in 5 minutes, nobody cares, at least this result is more likely to get a headline.

Seth Rollins vs HHH
They're determined to do it, because they somehow think it will get Seth over more. Have Seth win in 10-15 minutes, please don't give trips longer than that.

Charlotte vs Bayley
Bayley wins, Charlotte's streak is finally broken, and at Wrestlemania. It has to be broken eventually, and if they want to make Bayley the huge star that she can be, this would be the right way to do it.

Becky Lynch vs Mickie James
This would work about as well with Alexa Bliss, but with Mickie James rumoured to be returning full time to the main roster, her getting another Wrestlemania match would be nicely nostalgic and a good match (If the Asuka match is anything to go off). Lynch retains. Honestly this is one that could be trimmed to the pre show or incorporated into the big women's tag match based on time requirements.

Big clusterfuck ladder match- US Championship
Maybe Roman Reigns loses it via cheating (say, to Jericho), maybe he just relinquishes the belt. Participants: Chris Jericho, Braun Strowman, Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Rusev, Kofi Kingston.
Have Kofi win it, so the New Day can freebird the US Championship. Sure it doesn't make sense, but it's the kind of thing the WWE would do.

~ Pre Show ~

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
Holy crap there's so many drat people. The Miz, both tag champions, the intercontinental champion, cruiserweights,.
I'm assuming that Miz and Ambrose don't just feud until Wrestlemania, and they actually settle their issues before then.

Random give all the women a thing to do match
Big tag match from both rosters, faces one side, heels the other. Doesn't matter, give the face team the win. Sorry Smackdown Women's championship, but I was looking at Alexa Bliss or Becky Lynch vs Mickie James, and that isn't main card material.

Neville vs Akira Tozawa - Cruiserweight Championship
gently caress it, just have them have a match. Have Neville retain.

What would people do differently, or how would they like to see Wrestlemania shape up?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/RavenCyarm/status/767570383591518208

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pretty sure Goldberg/Brock 3 is already set in stone, with the assumption they'll eliminate each other from the Rumble.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Benne posted:

Pretty sure Goldberg/Brock 3 is already set in stone, with the assumption they'll eliminate each other from the Rumble.

I know, but I can hope for another result that I don't hate and is the same as Wrestlemania 20.

How would you have Wrestlemania look?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I'm thinking Reigns faces Braun for the title. There's been some foreshadowing with him interfering in the main event match on Raw recently. Reigns beats Owens for the title and Braun wins the Rumble. Vince has his final deathgasm as Reigns goes over Braun.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jenkem Delivery posted:

I'm thinking Reigns faces Braun for the title. There's been some foreshadowing with him interfering in the main event match on Raw recently. Reigns beats Owens for the title and Braun wins the Rumble. Vince has his final deathgasm as Reigns goes over Braun.

That sounds awful and extremely likely.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
No way Miz isn't on the card are you nuts

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

No Irish Need Imply posted:

No way Miz isn't on the card are you nuts

I couldn't work out who he'd be facing, and who to bump off. The only way I see him being on the card is facing Ambrose still, and boy do I not want them to feud until April. For all the good things on Smackdown, there isn't a wide variety of good main event faces, and once you take out Cena and Undertaker, you kind of need Ambrose in the WWE title match.

So unless you want the WWE Championship match to just be some combination of Wyatt, Orton and Styles (which isn't awful), I considered that it was best to limit it. Seriously there's so much poo poo to feature on Wrestlemania. This version is already a drat long show.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 30, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alright here's my dumb and bad prediction that nobody will like

Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg
Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
John Cena (c) vs. Undertaker -- WWE Championship
Roman Reigns (c) vs. Braun Strowman -- Universal Championship
AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz (c) vs. Baron Corbin -- Fatal 4-way for Intercontinental Championship
Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt
Charlotte (c) vs. Bayley -- RAW Women's Championship
Nikki Bella vs. Alexa Bliss (c) -- Smackdown Women's Championship
Clusterfuck Ladder Match for US Championship -- Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rusev (maybe add some more people, I dunno, Raw singles roster is running pretty thin at this point)
New Day vs. The Club vs. Sheamus/Cesaro (c) vs. Enzo/Cass -- "Get every team in one match" RAW Tag Team Championship
Big Show vs. Shaq -- "We're really going through with this, huh" Championship

Pre-show

Neville (c) vs. Jack Gallagher -- Cruiserweight Championship
Andre The Giant Battle Royale with all the random geeks from both brands
Random 10-woman tag, either face vs. heel or RAW vs. Smackdown, who cares really
Random cruiserweight tag to get all the vanilla midgets a Mania payday

This is such a bloated roster that there's almost no way to get every title on the card (sorry, Smackdown tag champions). And we'll probably have a shitload of multi-man and multi-woman clusterfucks because "gotta get everyone on the show," so it wouldn't surprise me if both women's title matches become triple threats or even four-ways.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Benne posted:

Alright here's my dumb and bad prediction that nobody will like

Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg
Seth Rollins vs. Triple H
John Cena (c) vs. Undertaker -- WWE Championship
Roman Reigns (c) vs. Braun Strowman -- Universal Championship
AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz (c) vs. Baron Corbin -- Fatal 4-way for Intercontinental Championship
Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt
Charlotte (c) vs. Bayley -- RAW Women's Championship
Nikki Bella vs. Alexa Bliss (c) -- Smackdown Women's Championship
Clusterfuck Ladder Match for US Championship -- Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rusev (maybe add some more people, I dunno, Raw singles roster is running pretty thin at this point)
New Day vs. The Club vs. Sheamus/Cesaro (c) vs. Enzo/Cass -- "Get every team in one match" RAW Tag Team Championship
Big Show vs. Shaq -- "We're really going through with this, huh" Championship

Pre-show

Neville (c) vs. Jack Gallagher -- Cruiserweight Championship
Andre The Giant Battle Royale with all the random geeks from both brands
Random 10-woman tag, either face vs. heel or RAW vs. Smackdown, who cares really
Random cruiserweight tag to get all the vanilla midgets a Mania payday

This is such a bloated roster that there's almost no way to get every title on the card (sorry, Smackdown tag champions). And we'll probably have a shitload of multi-man and multi-woman clusterfucks because "gotta get everyone on the show," so it wouldn't surprise me if both women's title matches become triple threats or even four-ways.

If they do develop Gallagher, he would probably be a better challenger.

Also for anyone trying to do the same, previous years total match counts (brackets indicate how many were pre show matches):

2012: 9(1)
2013: 9(1)
2014: 8(1)
2015: 9(1)
2016: 12 (3)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I think Balor is going to make it back in time for Mania. That's not based on anything at all other than him being very positive about his rehab, so I'm prepared to be totally wrong. If he is going to get back in time,I think (hope) they'll keep the belt on Owens until Wrestlemania and have Balor take it off of him when he returns, because Balor basically can't come back and do anything other than go after the Universal Championship.

The alternatives are he takes it off of Reigns (who wins at Rumble) or, in a swerve, he goes for the WWE Championship and takes on Styles (this assumes Taker appears at Rumble and costs Cena the belt). Another option might be putting Balor against Undertaker because the DEMON V. PHENOM video package practically writes itself and having Cena/Styles Pt. 3 with Cena winning.

Anyways, there's my lovely fantasy booking. See ya.

Edit: If Balor, doesn't come back, here's the card:

1. Goldberg v. Brock Lesnar
2. Undertaker v. John Cena
3. Seth Rollins v. HHH
4. Kevin Owens (c) v. Chris Jericho - WWE Universal Championship [Jericho wins the Rumble]
5. AJ Styles v. Bray Wyatt v. Randy Orton v. Dean Ambrose - WWE Championship
6. Roman Reigns v. Braun Strowman [Grudge match I guess, Strowman costs Reigns the title at the Rumble]
7. Charlotte (c) v. Bayley - WWE Raw Women's Championship
8. Alexa Bliss (c) v. Becky Lynch - Smackdown Women's Championship
9. Clusterfuck US Title Ladder Match
10. The Miz (c) v. Sami Zayn - WWE Intercontinental Championship

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 30, 2016

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Professor Funk posted:

1. Goldberg v. Brock Lesnar
2. Undertaker v. John Cena
3. Seth Rollins v. HHH
4. Kevin Owens (c) v. Chris Jericho - WWE Universal Championship [Jericho wins the Rumble]
6. Roman Reigns v. Braun Strowman [Grudge match I guess, Strowman costs Reigns the title at the Rumble]

Based off of the TV at this point, I think these matches are as locked in as hard as anything booked by Vince could be. I think the Roman/Braun match will be for the title, though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get that Brock/Rock would be huge, but Brock really wouldn't give a gently caress about taking liberties with one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood, especially when his philosophy seems to be "Don't worry, I can totally open you up in a way that doesn't hurt you" (immediately inflicts concussion).

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As much as I hope it doesn't happen, Brock beating Goldberg at Mania is pretty much a 100% lock.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
This is my best guess, though there's probably a good amount of wishful thinking here:

WWE Title:
John Cena vs. Undertaker

Universal Title:
Reigns vs. Strowman

HHH vs. Rollins

Big Show vs. Shaq

Lesnar vs. Goldberg

Orton vs. Wyatt

KO vs. Jericho

Styles vs. Balor (if Finn's not back, then Styles vs. Zayn. I could also see this being an 8/10 man Raw vs. SD tag with Styles on one side and Finn/Zayn on the other)

IC Title:
Ambrose vs. Miz

Raw Women's Title:
Charlotte vs. Bayley

SD Women's Title:
Sasha vs. Nattie vs. Becky vs. Mickie James

Raw Tag Title Ladder Match
Cesaro/Sheamus vs. New Day vs. Anderson/Gallows vs. Shining Stars

Pre-Show:
SD Tag Title:
American Alpha vs. Revival

Cruiserweight Title
Swann vs. Neville vs. Gallagher vs. Gallagher

Andre Battle Royal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TL posted:

there's probably a good amount of wishful thinking here

Cruiserweight Title
Swann vs. Neville vs. Gallagher vs. Gallagher

I can tell

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
These are the matchups I can see possibly at mania, though there are a lot, so assume a few are squashes or otherwise short/on the preshow/raw after

Cena/Taker

Brock/Goldberg

Reigns/Strowman

HHH/Rollins

Show/Shaq

KO/Jericho

Bayley/Charlotte

Alexa/Nikki

Neville/Gallagher

Orton/Wyatt

Miz open challenge, answered by a callup who takes the belt

Baron/Dean

Becky/Mickie

ARMBAR - Finn wins if he's back, otherwise another NXT callup wins.

big tag match between the various tag teams

IcePhoenix posted:

I can tell

Jack Gallagher could put on an excellent match against Jack Gallagher.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like MitB could make a return but I have no idea how to fit it onto any theoretical card

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like MitB could make a return but I have no idea how to fit it onto any theoretical card

http://www.inquisitr.com/3126593/wwe-news-womens-money-in-the-bank-ladder-match-being-discussed-for-upcoming-ppv/

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I can tell

Ha, that'd be amazing, though I meant Swann vs. Neville vs. Gallagher vs. Aries.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

I fear for Sasha Banks with how she bumps, but I'd totally watch this match.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Cena/Undertaker/Styles for the title in the main event. Cena wins the belt at the Rumble. Undertaker wins the Rumble. Styles challenges for the rematch at Mania. Something something which "era" is it? Undertaker has the best worker in the world to buffer what have been a lackluster past few Mania appearances.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Senerio posted:

Jack Gallagher could put on an excellent match against Jack Gallagher.

A few minutes in, both would be in some weird immovable pretzel knot and then the match would have to be called off.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Am I the only one actually kinda looking forward to Big Show/Shaq? It'll be garbage if they go longer than 2 minutes, but I'm pretty sure they know they can't do a serious match, and Show going full comedy heel and yelling poo poo like I'M GONNA DO MY MOVE is always entertaining.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

Am I the only one actually kinda looking forward to Big Show/Shaq? It'll be garbage if they go longer than 2 minutes, but I'm pretty sure they know they can't do a serious match, and Show going full comedy heel and yelling poo poo like I'M GONNA DO MY MOVE is always entertaining.

I don't know if I'd say I'm looking forward to it, but I'm confident it won't be the biggest waste of time on the show. Show getting in great shape for this and knowing that at the very least it's going to be one of his last matches, if not his last, makes me think they're at least going to try to make it an entertaining celeb match. And it's not like the competition's tough there

Also this V

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 31, 2016

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't know if I'd say I'm looking forward to it, but I'm confident it won't be the biggest waste of time on the show. Show getting in great shape for this and knowing that at the very least it's going to be one of his last matches, if not his last, makes me think they're at least going to try to make it an entertaining celeb match. And it's not like the competition's tough there

also shaq freAKIN OWNS

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MotU posted:

also shaq freAKIN OWNS

i saw him on this show w/ guys that make fishtanks and he is cool and apparenlty he played basketball too? idk

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

Cena/Undertaker/Styles for the title in the main event. Cena wins the belt at the Rumble. Undertaker wins the Rumble. Styles challenges for the rematch at Mania. Something something which "era" is it? Undertaker has the best worker in the world to buffer what have been a lackluster past few Mania appearances.

Because Cena equalling Flair's record is a big deal, I can't see him just winning at the Rumble, personally.

Man do I think him beating Styles avenging 3 losses would be good, but instead he's almost certain to just face Undertaker. But the limited space on the card making it a title match also makes sense.

Benne posted:

You've got your matches against Mayweather, and your matches against Akebono. Big Show can be good, but not as reliably as I'd like. It certainly won't be absolutely awful.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 31, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

roamn beats everyone while the crowd boos and then vince comes out and dances

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, big show didnt have a sumo match with yokozuna, he had a sumo match with akebono.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

also, big show didnt have a sumo match with yokozuna, he had a sumo match with akebono.

My mistake. Even WWE aren't quite willing to make Big Show fight a corpse in the ring.

Endorph posted:

roamn beats everyone while the crowd boos and then vince comes out and dances

Watching him try to do Shane's dance would be at least mildly amusing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Wazzu posted:

Because Cena equalling Flair's record is a big deal, I can't see him just winning at the Rumble, personally.

It's really not a big deal though, it's only a big deal because they like to say it is in the narrative. Flair's title wins include other promotions retroactively counting, while Cena's were all WWE. Cena's also are spread among two championships which only retroactively count now that they've merged into one. Would they count it as a notch on his record if he returned to Raw and won the Universal title now? The answer to that is "only if they felt like it".

Something like Taker's streak was actually newsworthy not because of the narrative they were pushing, but because it was something the audience never thought WWE would book someone to break. Cena/Flair is all narrative, the details are fuzzy retcons, and from a strictly WWE perspective Cena's already long since beaten Flair's record.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 31, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i dont really see the point in trying to draw a distinction between what some arbitrary numbers a company is heavily promoting as an important moment and a real(???) accomplishment in fake fighting like the undertaker's streak they only decided was a thing 8 years ago. this is a thing dorks on message boards care about not the average person who watches wrestling

they've been playing up flair's 16 titles since he came back in 2002, commentary has brought up the idea of john cena surpassing it every single time he's had a title shot for a few years now, and cena has been actively pursuing the record since he dropped the US title. it'll be a moment when it happens

oatgan fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 31, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I really want Zayn v Owens, belt vs career as a singles match for WM.

gently caress it, if we're going to waste Zayn, let's go whole hog.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I want Dana Brooke to take a liking to Ellsworth on Raw while Carmella makes him her boy on Smackdown. Then they have a winner gets Ellsworth match at Wrestlemania. It ends with Dana Brooke walking him like a dog on a leash

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Its gonna be a shame that AJ Styles isn't getting a marquee match. I'm of the philosophy that Wrestlemania should be headlined by the 2 best current wrestlers going against each other, Wrestle Kingdom / Wrestlemania pre-25ish style. So I'd somehow build to AJ Styles vs Seth Rollins. Oh well

Also why the gently caress are they putting Shaq against Big Show instead of Big Cass? Enzo promos on Shaq would be glorious, plus its gonna be a comedy match anyway so why not go all the way. Ernie Johnson to accompany Shaq to the ring and a Charles Barkley run-in

SpiritOfSanDimas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 31, 2016

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
Ellsworth will at least be in the final 2 for the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Its gonna be a shame that AJ Styles isn't getting a marquee match. I'm of the philosophy that Wrestlemania should be headlined by the 2 best current wrestlers going against each other, Wrestle Kingdom / Wrestlemania pre-25ish style. So I'd somehow build to AJ Styles vs Seth Rollins. Oh well

Also why the gently caress are they putting Shaq against Big Show instead of Big Cass? Enzo promos on Shaq would be glorious, plus its gonna be a comedy match anyway so why not go all the way. Ernie Johnson to accompany Shaq to the ring and a Charles Barkley run-in

Wrestlemania was about the two best current wrestlers going against each other in the main event pre WM 25? In what world?

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestlemania was about the two best current wrestlers going against each other in the main event pre WM 25? In what world?

lol I dont mean like 'best in ring technician' but hottest current stars. Hart / Michaels, Austin / Rock, Angle / Lesnar, etc. Come to think of it most years dont fit that formula, but I feel like the best years in my opinion did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

lol I dont mean like 'best in ring technician' but hottest current stars. Hart / Michaels, Austin / Rock, Angle / Lesnar, etc. Come to think of it most years dont fit that formula, but I feel like the best years in my opinion did

They've come just as close to doing that since WM 25 than they did before it.

• Locked thread