Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Moatillata posted:

No

Still wrong

Here take this link BK

http://i.imgur.com/tqofvYN.jpg

Use it, I give you permission. You need it a whole hell of a lot more than I do

okay i'm dropping the shitposting

i said that

the same thing that is in the image

wtf moat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

moat why are you doing me like this

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

moat baby please be a tad more charitable thanks

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Do better BK

I expect better

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Moatillata posted:

Do better BK

I expect better
BK isn't the shitposter you need, but he is the shitposter you deserve

PMush Perfect posted:

No, no, no, it's PEN 15. I'm initiating you into the PEN club. I'm PEN 14, and passing it on to you. Welcome to the Club.
wow! so is there a secret handshake, or do we touch pens, or what?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
4. Here is a story about greed that definitely didn't happen.

So last year for my birthday (28) my parents got me a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets. Those are pretty addicting. Anyway they were 5 $1 tickets and I scratched them and ended up winning about $20. Not bad, right? Buuut I figured I could do better and used that $20 to buy 20 more tickets. With that money, I won a whopping $50. More than I've ever won on a scratch off before. Did I stop there? Nope! I bought 5 $10 tickets. I figured that I'd go for the bigger prize. Aaaaaaand I didn't win anything. So much for being greedy.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So last year for my birthday (28) my parents got me a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets. Those are pretty addicting. Anyway they were 5 $1 tickets and I scratched them and ended up winning about $20. Not bad, right? Buuut I figured I could do better and used that $20 to buy 20 more tickets. With that money, I won a whopping $50. More than I've ever won on a scratch off before. Did I stop there? Nope! I bought 5 $10 tickets. I figured that I'd go for the bigger prize. Aaaaaaand I didn't win anything. So much for being greedy.

let me help you allen, let me assist you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LukyMYp2noo

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
all the fuckers jokers all the loving time

##joker

:unsmigghh:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
He didn't say it had to be a GOOD story

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Keep telling yourself this

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay.

Okay.

peramene posted:

[super] O Death: Memories and Face Reveal

Putting stuff on ice cream is pretty :effort: style dessert-making, yes. This gets a Joker.

peramene posted:

THE "SELFIE" STICK

Reasonable. This also gets a Joker.

I didn't, but did I not make the concept clear enough or something? If you told me this story, I would completely buy it. it is the complete opposite of stdh. stdh is poo poo you write for fake internet points to make your life seem more interesting than it is. It gets the old

strike but not with malice, just confusion.

Moatillata posted:

all the fuckers jokers all the loving time

##joker

:unsmigghh:

You, however, suck, and have literally no reading comprehension skills, since pera already set that poo poo up for your team. Good job, you rear end in a top hat in a hat.

Let's go to the board.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turn 16.

Ah.

I see Comrade Rosemary has done her patriotic duty to undermine this decadent display.

Good job, Rosie.

Now to reassemble, kind of pick up the pieces where they lie...

...huh.

That is right on the line between a square going nowhere and a square that would put jon joe in second or third place. Which do I do? My job isn't to interfere, merely to adjudicate. I think I may need to use some sort of thoroughly scientific decision-making process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeQEtvKggQ

Perfect.

Let's throw some more dice and see what's going on elsewhere.

Asiina seems to be leading the pack...

While mon moe gets the wrong idea about numbers

Nice.

slord is also still hung up on this "doing good" thing.

EXAKT really loving wants to go to the circus.

Thankfully, we have rules in place to prevent that sort of repeat trip.

We do not, however, have rules against stylin' on your bike.

Meinberg rolls it and goes for it...

Pfft. Get the gently caress outta here.

However...

Hm.

Huh.

That was unexpected.

AnonymousNarcotics has become the first player to complete the descent!

You may now return to shitposting.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Whoo!!!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
your cat is cooler than, Wren

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe loving sucks, who even is this guy, gently caress him

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Has anyone ever once gone "oh yes, I'm excited to see a post from SA forums user Jon Joe"

gently caress no

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Here are a couple of lists

Things that are good about Jon Joe:

Things that are in any way memorable about Jon Joe:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Did you love krunge?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
snip!

peramene fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 13, 2017

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I know we've basically made up since survivor but it still disgusts me when you post things like that where it comes off that you're proud of being a manipulative shithead

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah! A proper manipulative shithead would be smart enough to hide it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Phoneposting from work, so this may not be as eloquent as I'd like. Okay, the STDH challenge is officially struck from the board because clearly I did not explain myself properly.

I was expecting two basic things in a submission:

a) fiction
b) over-the-top coolkid stories about how you hosed like mad, did all the substances, got the money and power, etc.

In fact, since we're basically at the end of the game, I'm just going to come out and say that the thing about this particular challenge that would have earned a black queen is the simple act of mentioning a convertible, because writing fancifully is one thing; wannabe gonzo journalism is another.

What I was not looking for were

a) things that could or did happen (sorry anon)
b) the use of my game as therapy

Sara, I spoke with you privately yesterday and asked you to stop. Today, you post another self-aggrandizing adventure with you and your "other half."

So, now, publicly. Stop. It is not fun or funny. It is not cool or good. It is not healthy. Do not post in this thread again. If you want to speak with me privately about it, you know where to find me. I will not have time to respond while I'm at work tonight.

To the other, remaining players, I apologize. I will probably be wrapping things up in one or two further updates, so I understand if there are no further challenge attempts or the like. I hope fun has been had, and I hope you all return for future games.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Sara, I spoke with you privately yesterday and asked you to stop. Today, you post another self-aggrandizing adventure with you and your "other half."

So, now, publicly. Stop. It is not fun or funny. It is not cool or good. It is not healthy. Do not post in this thread again. If you want to speak with me privately about it, you know where to find me. I will not have time to respond while I'm at work tonight.

To the other, remaining players, I apologize. I will probably be wrapping things up in one or two further updates, so I understand if there are no further challenge attempts or the like. I hope fun has been had, and I hope you all return for future games.

Not trying to disrespect your decision, it's your game, do whatever you want, but this was pretty clearly a final submission, so I think it's uncharitable to imply that she was going to keep doing this and shame her publicly.

But whatever.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
You all suck

Everyone sucks

You are the poo poo.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Game? gently caress!

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
##joker

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I've decided to write this endeavor off as a series of cosmic misunderstandings.

A large portion of the playerbase decides not to engage with the game at all, a remaining portion expected something more like a Forum Reality Game, and either people's reading comprehension is poor or I am not making myself clear when I talk. C'est la vie. It's not the end of the world, but it is the end of this game.

That said, I am not one to take my ball and go home---I have spent the last...hour? or so jamming on late-period Joe Strummer, trying to figure out what needs to be said about the game and rolling out the final turns. I have boiled it down to two basic statements:

a) I would like to run more games in the future
b) but not like this one.

I appreciate the contributions of players who have given a drat, and will say that, for people are prepared to come into a thread and say mean things about Infinitum's dick (for example) every day for a week or two, Candy Land 2 will run (after some retooling) late this year or early next year.

It took four turns for enough players to come home that an entire team had finished. Thus, the final rankings for the descent down the board are:

1. AnonymousNarcotics
2. Asiina (tie)
2. EXAKT (tie)
4. Trip
5. Keane
6. Hawke (tie)
6. Gulag (tie)
8. donggunist
8. Moat
10. Absurd
10. Jon Joe
12. Sara (tie)
12. BK (tie)
12. CL (tie)
15. Infinitum
16. Alasdair
17. Meinberg
18. Pods
19. bowmore (tie: landed on square 1, climbing the ladder to square 38, on the last turn of the game)
19. PMush (tie: landed on square 1, climbing the ladder to square 38, on the last turn of the game)
21. UnCO3 (climbed the ladder to square 84 two turns before the end of the game)

Anon wins the descent and Sloth completed the first group descent.

The Black Queen - there is no real secret here, no hidden mechanic, it is exactly as I said when I introduced the rule. Here's what would have---or did---bring out the Queen in each instance. Even though the majority of the rules went unbroken, even slightly, I'm not happy with the mechanic, so I'll state the terms just to get them out of the way.

1. For Lack of a Better Term... - Write and present a speech about why your team's vice is actually virtuous.

The entry on the index card here is very simple: Don't quote. There's a couple instances at least where the title of the challenge actually points at the factor which brings out the Queen, this is one of them, referencing (inexactly) the Greed speech from the film Wall Street: "The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit." Thus, when the Galt speech was lifted and find-replaced, that was what drew the Queen's ire. It had nothing to do with sloth.

2. The Speech of Vice - Present, in photo-essay form, a discussion of how and why a plant near or in your domicile embodies your team's vice.

This one simply reads This is not TCC. While I'd have no quibble if, in the implement of vice challenge, someone produced their water-pipe or vaporizer as a tool of sloth, I completely did not want have to give the time of day to an essay about their favorite indica. These were not meant to be fair, merely something to impress upon the playerbase that a challenge should be given some amount of thought.

And for me to throw cards around like it's yugioh.

3. Vertical Enactment - Photograph yourself, for the enjoyment of the thread, going down a slide and up a ladder.

This one came about because apparently I wasn't paying attention when I was typing. The card reads Don't post the slide picture first, smartass. And no-one did.

4. That Did Not Happen.

We've been over that one.

5. Pants...on? Off? Dance-Off - Record and present video of yourself dancing to a song that embodies your vice for the thread.

Here's one where the title plays into it. The card reads You are not a stripper. Unless you are. The Queen would be given to anyone who tried to dance 'sexily' and didn't actually take anything off. I was admittedly kind of struggling on some of these. The challenges came easily enough (after a bout of writer's block the size of Toronto) but I had about twenty minutes to bang the penalty rules together before I posted the move and the challenge attempts would start coming in.

6. Indulge Yourself - Make a dessert themed on your team's vice and photograph the process of creation and consumption.

This one is a definite 'gotcha' and I feel a little bad about it. But only a little: Don't complain about how hard it is to come up with a vice-themed dessert.

7. Being Unhelpful - Go forth, find a lovely thread and make it worse. (No, this thread does not count.) No Joker unless your posts make me laugh.

If you've been probed or banned for whatever you posted by the time I'm awarding Jokers, that's on you. Basically, it's easy to shitpost badly, and that's not the sort of thing I like encouraging.

8. Tools of the Trade - Photograph and describe your relationship with your favorite personally-owned implement of your team's vice.

This is another one with a very short message on the card, and I think it's the first one I actually wrote: Don't embarrass me. Yes, you could have technically earned a Joker posting your dildos or your anime gently caress pillows or whatever, but if it ended up making things weird in the thread, I would just bring out the Queen and not have to address the content of the entry.

So this has been Twenty-One Player poo poo-Talking Chutes and Ladders.

Thank you for playing.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
:smith:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to say thanks for actually running this, Wren. I can't speak for others, but I thought it was fun.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Also go sloth

Won both coming and going

This is my swan song

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Thanks for running it, Wren.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Yes Wren as discussed you are the man

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Thank you for a fun game wren! Sorry some people are lame

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm sorry I didn't participate as much as I did the 1st time this was run Wren. Heart wasn't in it for some reason

Cheers for running it regardless, though I'll probably give the next one a miss.
Gotta be in the mood to poo poo talk good and proper.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
kept yuo waiting huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
If I completed the joker challenge for virtue karaoke I would've covered Night of the Living Baseheads which a) anti-drugs and b) PE. Then I decided to cut back on my forum visiting drastically

If I ever finish that cover I'll send it to you Wren

• Locked thread