Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Powershift posted:

no, they're cooking the books and bleeding to death. pushing back pretty much every product launch, shopping for a merger, and now rumored to be shopping alfa and Maserati around.

toyota has the 2.4 V6TT in the TS050 that could very nearly slot right in but i can't imagine how that would benefit their business.

I could see ford doing it for something else to slap an ecoboost sticker on.

how many series have ford pulled out of since this ad. already see V8SC and WRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The UK series is now "MSA Formula" though technically they still use Ford engines

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wasn't Page Jones pretty promising

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't AutoGP just using the old A1GP ex-Ferrari cars or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I finished 1997. The season was fantastic, probably the best of CART/Indycar I've ever seen. There was general parity among the engines (aside from Toyota. I think part of their problem was the drivers and teams they employed. Papis was the only one who looked good consistently). Having 4 Chassis was cool too, although the Reynard/Firestone combo was obviously the one to beat. Also the Penskes kept getting worse as the season wore on; the Lolas floundered all year until the last round. Swift did great for a first year effort.

1997 and 1998 are the clear peak imo. 1998 is less close for the championship but has some of my favorite races of all time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I finished 1997. The season was fantastic, probably the best of CART/Indycar I've ever seen. There was general parity among the engines (aside from Toyota. I think part of their problem was the drivers and teams they employed. Papis was the only one who looked good consistently). Having 4 Chassis was cool too, although the Reynard/Firestone combo was obviously the one to beat. Also the Penskes kept getting worse as the season wore on; the Lolas floundered all year until the last round. Swift did great for a first year effort.

1997 and 1998 are the clear peak imo. 1998 is less close for the championship but has some of my favorite races of all time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best part of 1998 is when Zanardi has such a huge lead in the championship that he gets bored and starts wrecking people for fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's a weird thing where mentioning COTA in the Indycar thread causes a sudden outbreak of mental illness and bad posting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alain Post posted:

There's a weird thing where mentioning COTA in the Indycar thread causes a sudden outbreak of mental illness and bad posting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like three of the five GPs held at COTA have been really good. It actually sucks for bikes but that's mainly because Marquez has the track down like the back of his hand for some reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BIG PASTOR

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

He doesn't wanna do ovals, unfortunately.

I need him on an oval

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually wouldn't mind it that much if they just straight up made them heat races. I guess it isn't that different, but still.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The difference is that nobody really gives a poo poo about the "champion of golf"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

I think the reason /that/ happened because no one really knew who the hell the winner of a "season" was. gently caress, the PGA Championship (as in the competition) is in August (and is not in the playoffs). Ah well.

That's a different PGA, I think.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so they're doing a Darlington, basically

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's an insult to Buddy Lazier.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Michael was probably one of the best drivers in series history.

That was an extremely stupid move, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If NASCAR continues to poo poo the bed for the next few years, Indycar could be heading back towards those days?

no

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PG has entered the RHR Own Zone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst company is actually the Indy Racing League

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vancouver II was terrible, though that might just be me remembering how great the first Vancouver street course was.

the old 90s Denver wasn't like, abominable but it was like the worst case of an American street circuit being nothing but right-angle bends and short straights.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Baltimore actually was a pretty nice street circuit, all things considered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
LBGP '98 is the best one IMO

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't imagine Audi letting anyone other than Joest Racing run their factory team.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

So does IndyCar have a podium like a real racing series or is it like NASCAR where some dumb hick raises up a Subway footlong and praises the Under 6 grams of fat power of the cold cut combo on honey oat with spinach, tomatoes, onions, black olives and cucumbers with light mayo for powering his way to the win along with the quenching rehydrating power of Gatorade?

Back in the day there seemed to be a weird thing where the oval races usually had american-style winners circles and the road courses had podiums, but I think everyone but the 500 uses podiums these days. We generally don't see them because they don't do the pomp and circumstance with the podium ceremonies that F1 does.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

Do you think Alonso spoke with Sato at any point?

He should because Sato nearly won the 500 once

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs forever :smith:

Those guys single-handedly made the awful 2004 F1 season watchable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
THe early 90s racing was mainly exciting because of the massive speed differentials between the top cars and backmarkers meaning lapped traffic was like constant.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I didn't think the racing was that much better back when PT and Emmo both lapped the entire field before trashing their cars in succession in '93.

And yet that race was a classic. Makes you think

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 600 was in the day for years before they put lights in at Charlotte.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly Alonso doing Indy is not something I would have expected, I had halfway suspected that Massa might look into it after retiring, but maybe Indycar isn't really that big a thing for Brazlilian drivers anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure asopher has close to the entire run of televised CART races.

What's strangely impossible to find is early IRL.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always liked that race, I thought the Hanford races were good but Fontana '97 is one of the last 500 milers that felt like a grueling attrition-fest which was always the best part of CART 500 milers.

Fontana 2000 was kinda like that, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Marlboro's liveries are boring but idk how they look aged, they're basically timeless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
well, it got them Emmo and the Marlboro sponsorship IIRC

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WindyMan posted:

Let me try again

There, that's better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mike Pence caused an HIV epidemic in Indiana but people from Indiana are bad so I think Mike Pence is OK

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CART cars looked far better than F1 cars in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

p h w o a r

• Locked thread