Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not-at-all bold prediction: Marco claims to have made more progress in the offseason, but the only battle he really factors in is for "full season AA driver with the least points" between him and Sato-san.

Only slightly less prediction : Marco wins this battle. i.e - he's last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

how many series have ford pulled out of since this ad. already see V8SC and WRC

They pulled out of WRC before the picture even, so they're taking credit for the M-Sport built cars. To be fair, the engines are still Ecoboost, same as the Motorbase built BTCC Focii.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Also notable for Ganassi scraping together a 3rd car for Dixon halfway through the season when PacWest went under.

15 years later he's still there.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The start is the operative word there, I don't think they made it more than 2 or 3 rounds.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

Sigma Autosport also folded up after 5 races, which is why Ganassi picked up Dixon to keep the field at 18, which was the series contractual minimum for the races.

So basically Dixon's entire career is an accident of contract?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

gret posted:

I remember AutoGP was pretty weak back when I first heard about it (probably when Pippa Mann contested the Sonoma rounds way back when). Can't imagine the field has become much stronger.

e: LOL in the 2016 season only 9 drivers started a race in the series and only 2 drivers competed in all of the rounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Auto_GP_Formula_Open_Championship

Yep, that guy won the last race of the season.

2nd in that race? A guy who owns a supermaket in a Minardi PS04B.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is there any crowdfunding?

Because I'm going to NEED to see Pastor at Indy.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

7 is taken but 11 is only reserved by KV so he could probably have it for the price of a Big Gulp.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, it's basically a lack of competition thing. Dallara got to a point where they could make good chassis at a cost effective price and people used them. So other people used them. So Ralt and Reynard went under. So other people used Dallara....

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can probably trace this back to the tobacco money leaving, and more spec consolidation. The money isn't there to support the costs of multiple shops doing very small runs of cars with revisions throughout each season. It's barely there to support something like the DW12, which is downright mass produced by comparison.

Yeah that makes sense. Not so long ago you had 28 full time cars who (mostly) replaced the car every year vs now where there's 22 and I believe several 2012 tubs still on the grid.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dorrbecker of course is the guy whose last win was ahead of a 13 year old Minardi being driven by a guy who owns a supermarket.

I'm sure he'll be great.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

The PC-27B's biggest problem was probably the tires(the Lola that they used also didn't bring great results) Goodyear looked like they gave up in 1999. The Ilmor was increasingly uncompetitive as well, a problem that didn't only affect Penske. So much so that he, uh, stopped using engines from the company he owned.

To be fair he also stopped using chassis from the company he owned as well.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I suspect Indycar themselves would prefer not because it gives the impression of Indycar as a feeder series rather than a destination.

That's fine for Super Formula, which is essentially Japanese GP2/F3000 but probably not what Indycar is looking for.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah I'm thinking purely in the way they market themselves. Super Formula is happy to be a stepping stone, Indycar would rather avoid it.

That said, I suspect what would override that for Indycar is having guaranteed car count.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Honestly I'm more concerned about the full season count than the Indy500 one.

Since the end of the old car we've lost Conquest, Dragon, Dreyer and Reinbold, HVM, KV, Newman Haas and Panther as full time runners.

We've gained ECR.

It's a problem masked a little by the fact 3 teams are running 4 cars each, but even so we're down to 21 full time cars now. Carlin and (More seriously) Juncos are sniffing round at a full time run of course but so were people like Michael Shank and it never came to pass.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

George Zimmer posted:

Surely one of Portland's artisanal lightbulb makers or feminist bookstores would sponsor a a race.

Now all I want to do is come up with a single name that works for both of these.

"Bright Ideas" is as close as I've got.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

They're well off last year's practice times though, so I don't know how much it means. What were the conditions like?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Interesting, then Chilton's speed may not be entirely false.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dallara built reasonable F1 chassis in the late 80s/early 90s too for BMS Italia who eventually merged with Minardi.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

I love the F191.

Yeah, as a kid, if you asked for an F1 car drawing it's basically exactly that shape.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ah, "Doing a Menard".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ok, that's super classy.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Isn't the series already picking up the tab for 2-3 cars a year on the quiet to get to 33 anyway?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

what the hell is happening on this dumbass planet

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04-03-Loki-sponsors-Pigot

So long as the Susan G Komen foundation for increasing awareness of Susan G Komen is still on the side of Pippa's car, that's not the worst we got.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It said "I actually think wicka is an ok poster".

Boy's gone mad.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bentai posted:

gently caress, I only got 99 points from this week's race. drat you Honday!

I don't know how I pulled it off but I picked 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Good on him. And that's a huge amount of attention Indycar needs.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

"2 old dudes" it's loving Mario Andretti and Johnny Rutherford

Yeah that's almost the best bit, just 2 guys who know their poo poo musing while a guy they clearly respect throws some laps.

It's actually delightful.

He's going to get straight into the 220s isn't he? And I assume this is a "Race boost" car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

221.7, it's absolutely not impossible.

But given he's altering this setup as a rookie this is already speed that tells you he's going to be just fine speedwise come practice.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

e: how many top car series today still use NA engines? I know NASCAR does and LMP2/DPi do, but beyond those two I'm drawing a blank (though I'm also tired atm).

Depends what we're calling "top" I guess.

The Ex-Formula Renault 3.5 is still NA V8s, Formula 2 does this year but goes turbo next, GP3 is NA.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

i already stream every race without payin, suck on that world

also zach why ur car Urple

i have a feeling this is the Grace Autosport money isnt it? Zach sorta looks like an underaged girl so its fitting i guess

Oh god I'd forgotten about them, they were insisting after forgetting cars need engines last year they would 100% be ready for 2017.

So that worked out.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fauxhawk Express posted:

After reading the continued ballad of Carl Long, here's hoping that :420: sponsorship can eventually replace the long lost tobacco $$$ and restore Indycar to its rightful glory.

You'd have to tell Nascar to let them put it on the car first.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Honestly, the one question I want to ask him: What's it like going from a honda that you don't know will even last a lap to one that has just churned out lap after lap. Also, I love the 98 logo on the camera mounted below the rotating one.

Is that just because they've borrowed it from the Herta car?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

We should probably attempt that again some time. Especially now my biggest competition has hosed off back to the states.

*waves at McMadCow*

Downhill hairpins at indoor circuits are fun, Cardiff teamsport has one, complicated by the fact you take off shortly before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVw3U0w-L30

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pvt. Public posted:

I have gone several times. I love the facility, as others have said and the karts are in really good shape. It is probably the best-run facility in the Midwest and is my favorite kart track. And man, that oval is surprisingly tough on you.

How much passing goes on with that oval? Do you need brakes?

edit : That said I just saw a video of the road course, those karts are slow as balls.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 19, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

I lived in Indiana until I was 23 and barely even thought about the 500 until I moved because some dumbfuck morons refused to televise it live in most of the state.

I know this is common practice in America but it'll never stop being hilarious to me.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

It's insanely, unbelievably stupid because it effectively limits your audience to the people who are already watching. You're undermining your ability to attract new fans because so few people are going to spend money to attend an event they've never seen before. Several sports have done studies related to TV blackouts and shown that attendance increases when a blackout is lifted (CITATION NEEDED), because you're actually advertising your sport.

And it's so unbelievably obvious this would be the case.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Lazier to be last I presume?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Uncle Jam posted:

So Bourdais is out of the race. But what if they asked YOU to take his place?
Try to do so with Indianapolis 500: The Simulation

Will Ed lead off into turn 1? I have no idea but it's called a simulation so...

I modded the old game with the grid and performance of this year's cars. Hondas will be faster in the straights and slower in the corners.

You're doing the Lord's work son.

FartingBedpost posted:

I mean, it's gonna feel even worse when notable Chevy driver Ed Carpenter gets pole. I feel like Penske is really underperforming.

Yeah I noticed Wil talking about the gap to "The Hondas", clearly hoping everyone will forget a team consisting of a man of indeterminate quantity of chromosomes and a part timer just stuck both their cars ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Wait a second.

Qualifying is over, no-one qualified the ex-Bourdais entry.

So surely Davison can't race?

Is there an existing provision for this or are they going to cheat it "For the show"?

• Locked thread