Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you, 2016! Hooray for 2017! Smoke crack and worship Satan Lucifer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwSZDXr5LU

Or don't, actually. Do what you want or can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

The world of Saint Seiya is a terrifying place, you can't go one day without some god awakening and trying to blot out the sun or cover the earth in plants or something

If the MegaTen franchise has taught me anything is that Gods are assholes and want to kill, subjugate and gently caress us over constantly, so beating the poo poo out of them is perfectly acceptable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

29-year-old programmer Suzuki Ichirou finds himself transported into a fantasy RPG with video game mecahnics. Within the game, he is a 15-year-old named Satou. Immediately after his arrival, he uses a unique power to destroy an army of lizardmen and becomes the most powerful human in the world as the army gave him tons of XP. He then saves the daughter of a noble from a monster, starts building a harem by saving several demi-human slave girls from abuse, defeats a powerful demon in one hit to become the city's saviour and in the process obtains two more slave girls to add to his harem.

This is the story of a 29 year old in the body of a 15 year old using his high stats and powers to build a harem in a fantasy RPG world with video game mechanics.

Aren't Reincarnation / Trapped in Another World novels like the "Little Sister" fad that was all the rage when Oreimo was popular?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only cool little sisters I can remember from around that time frame are:

Rina Yaegashi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHh0zWTHI38
Komachi Hikigaya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMs3N-pfpU

Neither were exactly the main focus of their works, but both were awesome. Especially Komachi. Aoi Yuuki is generally awesome as hell. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rayearth ruled. Even if the second season was kinda... something.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

z0glin Warchief posted:

Fushigi Yuugi is a big name one, though I don't know if it's actually any good.

Also gently caress yeah 12 Kingdoms is great.

Fushigi Yuugi was okay. But the problem is that that Yuu Watase doesn't know when to stop.

Seconding the 12 Kingdoms being incredibly :black101: opinion.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Grunge -> Pop-Punk -> Nu-Metal -> Garage-Revival -> Emo -> Indie -> Lack of Effort -> Holy poo poo people want to suck Kevin Shields testicles again. -> Reunion Fever -> WHY HAS FUGAZI NOT REUNITED DAMMIT

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

cause they suck rear end

Look, I'd like to think of myself as a reasonable person, especially towards goons with avatars using what is undoubtedly the Best Girl of a certain anime/manga where food and fanservice create something special and more often than not very very funny, so pardon my french-- BUT PLEASE TELL ME YOU DID NOT JUST TALK poo poo ABOUT FUGAZI, DAVINCIE. :toughguy:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I read that Clamp kinda wanted to end it where the first series left off but because their readers were so young they felt like they had to continue it.

I didn't really like the second series (never got far in the anime) so I just assume the end of the first one is what's canon.

Yeah, I recall reading that interview too. The one thing I remember is that, when they return from Cephiro for the first time, the girls are basically shell-shocked. All I keep thinking is "How the gently caress did CLAMP thought this would be an okay place to stop?". Like, now that I've read multiple Clamp works, I know that those ladies can have a nasty streak, but holy poo poo.

I recently rewatched the series and, while it does show its age, the first season still feels like it has overall good pacing. The second season has a bunch of problems, most of all in fact that it's longer but it feels like it should've been shorter, but at the very least the ending is (mostly) okay.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Command Ant posted:

If I remember correctly, the English subtitles for Rayearth translated "-chan" into "-ster", which resulted in Hikaru calling the others Umi-ster and Fuu-ster.

And then there's the opening dubbed in Spanish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MOu1tiZa3w

I watched a lot of Spanish-dubbed anime back at around the turn of the millennium.

Those beautiful guitar licks. :swoon:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
God Hand was rad. Resident Evil 4 was beyond loving rad. Shinji Mikami is OK in my book. I always confuse them, though: Who's the guy who's kind of a douche through Twitter, him or the Devil May Cry guy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Your mom" jokes are OK in my book. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah, Custom-made Guitar for yours truly arriving today! Neighbors are gonna get the poo poo in their ears pushed out! Mwahahahahaha!

(Maybe tomorrow)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad that after all the poo poo that happened in the 2nd half of our year, my girlfriend wants to get back "on the horse" and play songs live.

She's debating whether playing a Deftones tribute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBntFjw4oOU

Or an Isis (the band) tribute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nuq5KXmnX8

Would be more fitting. I honestly just feel very lucky that she's doing a heckuva lot better after going through that poo poo-shower.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I am glad things are looking up :)

But I am sad to report that I cannot understand either of those songs and I can't give an opinion :(

Thanks!

With Deftones, it's almost always pretty simple: Although he never usually comes out and states it plainly (the fact that Chino doesn't spell anything out for people tends to help), most of the topics singer and occasional second guitar player Chino sings about are:
  • Sex (if you think that a song is talking about sex, you're going to be right like 90% of the time)
  • Drugs
  • Inner Struggles
  • Fake-rear end people and how they need to get over themselves
They have some other topics, but again, unless Chino says something very specific like "I hate all of my friends, they all lack taste sometimes", just assume it's about any of those 4 topics.

Isis' song is about a really dysfunctional relationship between brother and sister that plunges the main character of that record's narrative into depression.

You know, talking about these songs, I kinda understand why I started liking these bands back when I was a dumb teenager and I can't help but feel a bit silly for continuing to support these artists' endeavors. :negative:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

please, who's going to fire you for looking at a butt on a computer

My boss. She recently caught a girl from financial looking at facebook pictures of her girlfriend and canned her due to one of those pictures having the girlfriend in her underwear. To be fair, Facebook is not blocked by our proxy (Something Awful is, though! :argh:). Unfortunately, due to a ton of content that gets posted and could be considered NSFW in that place, it might as well be blocked.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

can't believe your boss is owl day

I'm fairly certain that my boss sees computers as a necessary evil and actively avoids using them whenever possible. She's a bit gung-ho about computers being tools and nothing more inside of the office, but still pretty awesome as long as you're not intensely dumb and/or spend your day looking at stupidly expensive left-handed and (in her opinion) fugly guitars.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

... Nozomi, right? Dang, it hasn't been that long and I don't even remember the Love Live girls outside of Nico and the tsundere one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Allarion posted:

But what if it's bigger than 200 MB!?!?

Then start repenting wrt your choices of background music. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My girlfriend watching UBW...

Prologue:
"Hey, I like this smug bitch (Rin)!"

"First" Episode:
"Ugh, blonde girl in armor. Booo-ring!"

Tune in tomorrow, folks!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sorry Corals posted:

tfw you fix something and then come back a year later and some gently caress tard has unfixed it worse than before

...ah

Welcome to the beginning of my third year here! Hope you like some poo poo warmly served, because that's all we have on the menu!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think my girlfriend has a crush on a fictional character. I mean yeah, it's Rin, so duh, but still a slight cause of concern.

Also, I told her that the "boring blondie lady knight" is voiced by the same lady that voice Nodame, and I think that made her a bit sad. (Nodame Cantabile was her gateway series into anime).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

some day when i'm not watching 20 shows i'll pick hxh back up

have fun with yorknew tab, it's probably my favorite arc in any shonen thing

Hunter x Hunter kinda keeps on baffling both me and my girlfriend. According to her (I also strongly agree), almost every arc feels like it could be a standalone anime/TV show on its own, kinda like a "JoJo Part". She said the only one that didn't feel like that was the Killua Rescue arc. Also, breaking news:
  • She could care less about Saber (Rin is still best girl, because DUH)
  • Hisoka made her flip her poo poo. Hard.
I mean, Hisoka IS a great character and all, but how the gently caress did the guys at Shueisha look at that creepy motherfucker and didn't go "Sorry Togashi, but... a guy dressed like a clown who's all but stalking two 13-year old kids? Come on, man". In other news: My girlfriend got bit by the manga bug and it's currently collecting One Week Friends. Having to go around town and hunt the issues down (currently publication here in México is at Volume 4) is kinda fun, but a bit tiring. The reason why she doesn't just go to Amazon or whatever and use my credit card to buy whatever's available that way continues to evade me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Blue" Saber, the one from the 2006 Anime, Fate/Zero and UBW (and Carnival Phantasm, I guess), the "original recipe", so to speak (the rest of them being extra crispy because stay with me here) is a really basic character. Sure, she has her motivations and all which make her a bit more interesting once you know who she is, but she's still incredibly boring. I'm sure if I go and re-play F/SN again, maybe I can see a more interesting side of her, but I only get my commute time (around 80 minutes a day in 2 trips, all in all) to play Vidja Games, so that's a no go.

Like, I'm sure Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken would be way more interesting if I'd just bite the bullet and play the VN's, but no. I'm good. Muv-Luv Unlimited and Alternative were okay and I'm satisfied with that. NEXT

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Welcome to the NHK dub has not aged well, though its unintentional hilarity is appreciated.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goons, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Broke up with the woman I considered my life-partner and just today, I lost my job. I need a cheer-me-up. Bad. What's the fluffiest anime I can enjoy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

madoka magica
Sadly (funny in a weird way?) enough, that was the last thing I watched with my now ex-girlfriend. Revolution is visually OFF-THE-HOOK but Urobuchi can throw himself into a sword for all I care.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sweetness and Lightning

Davincie posted:

kemono friends
I'll give these a try. Thanks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

KonoSuba is high quality fluff.

Showa Genroku Rakugo isn't, and just had like the most heartbreaking twist I've seen in a mostly slice-of-life anime in a long time, and a rare twist I didn't see coming at all.

There's plenty of jobs in the sea, don't worry.
KonoSuba is the weirdest thing: I was sick and tired of Isekai/Trapped in another world/Reincarnation fantasy anime/manga/novels, and now I know that there's a guy out there who basically said "Holy poo poo, they're dumb AF". So then he proceeded to say "Hey, me too!". And it's so dumb, it wraps around to being hi-drat-larious. So yeah, KonoSuba is extremely my bag.

I don't want to think about Rakugo in a good while, despite the fact that I LOVED the first season. Thanks, NoWon.

Herbotron posted:

I've always found Azumanga Daioh to be very soothing.

Julias posted:

I'd recommend Non-Non Biyori or Hidamori Sketch. Hang in there buddy.
I remember liking all three. Will re-watch them.

And seriously, thanks for the kind words. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ore Monogatari is also very fluffy, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

would new gunbuster be by the current gainax? because current gainax sucks and is broke

After Imaishi and Otsuka left with a bunch of people to start Trigger, who stayed in Gainax? Any of the dudes who were mentioned in Blue Blazes are still around?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Is it true that the Alt-right douchenozzle that made the word 'cuck' a thing had a meltdown?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hello alt right I would like to speak with you about your awful haircut.

First: thanks for making yourselves easy to spot.

Second: apparently it's catching on in non-white-supremacist circles, so could you please think up something new?
Unfortunately, that haircut has already proven insanely popular with preppy dudes here in Monterrey.

Araki posted:

That was fast, only one month into his presidency.
I'm fairly certain that if Trump ever has an actual meltdown, he's going to go postal for real.

In anime-related things, Flying Witch is chill and pleasant. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to regret posting about that Yiannopoulis dude, aren't I?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, gives me more time to keep on writing about this novel. Also, to stop writing that silly Street Fighter fanfic that I dreamed up because of my daughter's dorky ideas.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
C'mon, let's not bully stairmaster. Look, he has a Salama avatar. I'm sure he's chill about stuff!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Pleiades was good

anno is about to destroy all their money forever, tho

C'mon, Evangelion probably has at least 4 more years of money left in it. After almost 22 years, that's pretty cool!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

gainax doesn't own eva anymore and anno's suing them

Oh, come on! What's next: The Gintama anime actually ending for good?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

The baddies in G being really bad at being terrorists and just kinda winging it is the best part of the season, though. For the most part anyway, Ver being an unhinged freak feels like a cop-out so Hibiki can just punch him without worrying about talking it out or whatever. At least he got to be the last action hero in the following season, the only good part of GX.

Dr. Ver was idiotic awesomeness incarnate, fight me! :toughguy:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rear end posted:

My opinion on this whole situation is that people shouldn't treat a public forum as their own treehouse hangout and post like normal people. This is a good picture of Mikan

She looks cute! She looks kinda like *Monogatari's Nadeko. (Hopefully she's nowhere near as homicidal) :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I don't get? When people use "Armchair" as a prefix (would that be the correct term? I'm not sure) to deride somebody expressing an opinion who knows nothing/very little of that particular field. Why? Armchairs are comfy and have done nothing wrong. Poser gets the point across much better.

• Locked thread