Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for December, 2016?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 54 39.13%
:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion): 2 1.45%
:pcgaming: Becky Lynch (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) 2 1.45%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Smackdown Women's Champion) 36 26.09%
Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) 1 0.72%
:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) 1 0.72%
FORMER Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:hai: Kyle O'Reilly (ROH World Champion) 4 2.90%
:shibe: Eddie Edwards (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.72%
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 3 2.17%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.72%
:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) 19 13.77%
:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 5 3.62%
:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (PWG Champion) 2 1.45%
:tif: I'll Just Sit Here in the Dying Fire of 2016 (None of the Above) 7 5.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Voting is over and the winner for the third month in a row is AJ Styles, though None of the Above came in a clear second indicating perhaps some fatigue with the Champions in general.

Now it's time for Rowdy Ringsports to pick their Pro-Wrestling Champion for this, the final month of the year. Champions are mostly chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. There is no hard and fast rule for what qualifies as an "eligible" Champion because that way madness lies - we'd either have 4 poll options or 45. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish. The IWGP Intercontinental Champion is no longer included on the poll.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:siren: You have three days to vote, then we do the 2016 End of Year Poll! :siren:

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - The Champ that runs the camp continued to.... uhh... run the camp. Opening the month with a TLC Match against Dean Ambrose, AJ looked set to lose his title when he got unexpected assistance from a delusional James Ellsworth. The tiny jobber had mistook his cheated victories over AJ as legitimate and decided he could beat AJ in a title match and then "make it up" to Ambrose later. AJ put paid to that by MURDERING Ellsworth in about 5 seconds in that title match, before ending the month with a victory in a triple threat with Dolph Ziggler and Baron Corbin. This set-up AJ's next big match, a defense at the Royal Rumble against returning lazy part-timer John Cena!

:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion): - Gloriously, wonderfully "bad" actor Johnny Mundo had taken advantage of Sexy Star's insistence on fighting alone to win the title from her. He then spent the month doing his best to hold onto it, setting his Worldwide Underground lackeys to work fighting Sexy with warnings that their own place in his stable were at risk. In a cage match against Sexy, Mundo again managed to hold onto his belt when he pulled away Sexy's mask, and took advantage of her fixing it to escape the cage and retain his belt through the end of 2016.

:pcgaming: Becky Lynch (FORMER Smackdown Women's Champion) - At the start of the month, Becky Lynch defended her belt against rival Alexa Bliss in a Tables Match. Unfortunately the match featured a lot of set-up that couldn't be delivered on because the moment somebody actually went through a table the match would be over (in a show where people were smashed through table after table after table). An anti-climactic ending saw Becky powerbombed through the table to lose her belt, a less than stellar ending to what was a pretty good title run.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Bliss, the wonderfully angry toddler, hit the ground running on her title reign. In tears following her victory, Bliss was interviewed and gave a heartfelt speech about how much this meant to her.... before seamlessly shifting back into heel mode to poke at the defeated Becky Lynch. Surviving her first title defense via Countout when she faked a leg injury, Alexa was forced to face fiery newcomer La Luchadora after Daniel Bryan caught her out faking her injury. Defeated by La Luchadora in the non-title match, Alexa was as shocked as Tony Schiavone realizing THAT'S NOT CICLOPE when La Luchadora turned out to be Becky Lynch. Another title defense against Becky ended 2016 for Smackdown, where Alexa showed she has learned from her fake injury cheating earlier in the month.... just fake it better! Pretending to have horrifically broken her arm during the match, the double-jointed Alexa pinned Becky following the ref's confusion and the distraction of ANOTHER La Luchadora ("It's probably Nia Jax" opined Alexa after the match) and then popped her arm back into place. At the risk of editorializing, Alexa is pretty goddamn great!

Sasha Banks (FORMER WWE Women's Champion) - Yes. She lost at the PPV. Again. Sasha was dominating in an Iron Man match when she tapped out to tie up the fall count. With 2 seconds to go in the match. Then she tapped out again during overtime.

:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) - Even Sasha Banks had to finally admit Charlotte was the better woman, but there was a little girl who didn't quite agree. Bayley had a pinfall victory over Charlotte and felt she deserved a title shot, but Charlotte has obviously learned that she'll lose any title match on Raw (and win it back on the next PPV) and wanted nothing to do with that. So they had a non-title match which Bayley won... but Charlotte had the results thrown out because a replay showed her shoulder was up. So they fought again, and Dana Brooke acted as special guest referee and gave Charlotte the win with a fast count.

FORMER Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - At Final Battle for 2016, Cole's title reign came to an end against long-time associate Kyle O'Reilly.

:hai: Kyle O'Reilly (ROH World Champion) - At Final Battle for 2016, Kyle O'Reilly defeated long-time associate Adam Cole in a No Disqualification match to become the ROH Champion for the first time. (If anybody wants to PM me more detailed ROH notes each month please do!)

:shibe: Eddie Edwards (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - TNA has plenty of detractors (and some VERY stubborn supporters) but you can't really argue that they're not at least throwing poo poo against the wall to see what sticks. Nowhere is that more apparent than with champion Eddie Edwards, who started the month fighting a rich elitist and ended it fighting on the side of an exploding volcano. Unfortunately, it's also resulted in a month where Eddie hasn't actually accomplished anything. He fought former Champion ECIII to a draw in early December, and then went to two No Contests with other Former Champ Bobby Lashley. Sure, the latter was a No Contest as a result of interference from a loving volcano, but still...

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - Owens spent most of the month concerned over cracks appearing in his BFF relationship with Chris Jericho, which put his Universal Title at risk in his match against Roman Reigns. At RoadblockENDOFTHELINE, Owens faces Reigns (where he shouted the immortal line,"If you're such a tough guy why didn't you put your US Title on the line?") and looked at risk of losing... until Chris Jericho appeared and hit Owens with a Codebreaker. Was the friendship over? Not at all! Moment later Jericho was grinning as Owens slowly realized what had happened, by attacking him Jericho had not only retained the title for Owens but given him the victory over Reigns via DQ! The two hugged (and got their asses kicked by Rollins and Reigns) and then spent the rest of the month goading Braun Strowman into beating up their rivals.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Normally if nothing happens in a month I drop a Champ off the poll until the next month. While Okada didn't defend his belt at all this month, however, there has been a lot of build towards early January's Wrestle Kingdom (which is gonna be so loving great). Kenny Omega has been all over Okada, getting in his face, attacking him and associates (including Okada's proud dad Gedo) and making Okada look vulnerable heading into their big title match. Is Okada's reign coming to an end? Can he and Omega top the Tanahashi/Okada match from 2016 (no)? We won't know till January but they're doing a lot to make people ask those questions and build anticipation going in.

:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) - 2016 was really the year of Io Shirai. After representing Stardom in other promotions with her Threedom teammates Mayu Iwatani and Kairi Hojo, Shirai proceeded to prove to the world agian why she is one of the best wrestlers in the world. After turning on Iwatani and breaking up both Threedom and Thunder Rook, put on a legitimate Match of the Year Candidate with Iwatani, and proven, as she has for the past year, that she is the absolute top in Stardom. With the WWE attempting to sign her, this may be one of the only chances to vote for her in this poll for a long time. Thanks to Senerio

:kamina: YAMATO (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - After a fall where the focus was towards other things, YAMATO made his second successful defense of the Open the Dream Gate title against his former tag team partner Naruki Doi on Final Gate on Christmas Day. It was a 35 minute epic that harkened back to the longer ODG matches of 09-11 that has been quite decisive with folks either loving the slow beating down of Doi's leg in to prohibit his Muscular Bomb or people thinking it was 15 minutes too long. However it is December, and for the last two years Dragon Gate has claimed the Champion of the Month this month. Can the Almighty make it three straight? Thanks to NotQuiteQuentin

:landy: Zack Sabre Jr (PWG Champion) - At Mystery Vortex 4 ZSJ successfully defended his title against Marty Scurll. What is far more important is that Chuck Taylor beat chubbo Adam Cole to continue his Goldberg-esque streak and become the #1 contender for the PWG championship. Chuck has promised to "KILL THE SON OF ZACK SABRE" in 2017, and heck, I hope he does. Thanks to Beef Jerky Robot

:tif: I'll Just Sit Here in the Dying Fire of 2016 (None of the Above) - If none of these champs float your boat, or you're just exhausted from the relentless shittiness of 2016, or you just want to see the results, this is the option for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Io had the best match of all the champs so she wins this time!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't choose between AJ Styles and Alexa Bliss - somebody convince me of one or the other (or somebody else!)

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Ioooooooooo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alexa Bliss is the correct answer

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I can't choose between AJ Styles and Alexa Bliss - somebody convince me of one or the other (or somebody else!)

bliss is fun but aj styles is the best and also defended his title clean

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Io is cool and good and deserves your vote

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Sasha was champion of the month and Alexa doesnt win then i dont know what the gently caress anymore. VOTE BLISS!

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
KOR is cool and is my champ.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

Alexa for this month. AJ for champion of the year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

YAMATO and his lovely hair is the correct answer. Please watch Final Gate.

I'll agree with AJ for champ of the year though.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 30, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

Alexa for this month. AJ for champion of the year.

Yeah I think this is the way I'm gonna go.

AJ is definitely my Champ of the Year.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I think this is the way I'm gonna go.

AJ is definitely my Champ of the Year.
Same here.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/shirai_io/status/804188514300506112

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

IOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The World of Stardom Championship should also go on the champ of the year poll, it has exclusively been held this year by wrestlers with claims to top 5 in the world, such as Io Shirai, and nobody else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerusalem posted:

I was really set to vote for Bliss in this month's poll but the two matches on Tuesday really reminded me that AJ is just the absolute best. Sorry Alexa :( That thing you did with your arm was fuckin' neato though.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Kyle had the best match this month and he's my champion. sorry this month to Eddie Edwards, who is actually my best friend and the REAL champion of the year

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Bliss crew represent.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ktik posted:

Bliss crew represent.

Alexa for Dicember. AJ for year, thats the cool vote.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Just voting for AJ til I can vote for Sexy Chuckie T

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senerio posted:

The World of Stardom Championship should also go on the champ of the year poll

It'll be there :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 more days to vote, AJ has a clear lead but it's not unassailable by any means.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I can't believe Okada didn't get any votes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This time of year is generally pretty poor for the IWGP Champion since they've long since set the Wrestle Kingdom match and mostly keep the champ and his opponent to multi-man tags and post-match beatdowns for a good 6-8 weeks before they deliver what is usually one of the best matches of the entire year in early January.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

Jerusalem posted:

This time of year is generally pretty poor for the IWGP Champion since they've long since set the Wrestle Kingdom match and mostly keep the champ and his opponent to multi-man tags and post-match beatdowns for a good 6-8 weeks before they deliver what is usually one of the best matches of the entire year in early January.

this, without a doubt the winner of the WK11 main event will be januarys COTM

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vote Alexa God Dammit!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lot of people voting for the wrong Smackdown champ.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

BATTOSAI!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

Vote Io God Dammit!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

AJ Styles had the best matches, sorry Alexa

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

aj styles is the only thing i care about in wwe right now

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah and this lead to 2014 and 2015 Decembers to rightfully be won by Dragon Gate guys off the heels of great Final Gate matches. But this year we had the weakest ODG champ in memory and what I thought was a middling defense, so I went with a non-DG wrestler (Io) for the first time in memory.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Cardboard Box posted:

aj styles is the only thing i care about in wwe right now

this, but life

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
For the first time in a voting period when I had a chance to vote for RAINMAKER, I didn't.

Because the best champion has been Alexa Bliss. And if you think otherwise, you are so RUDE.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

outside of some local indies and a live raw i went to this past month, i havent watched any wrestling since augustish and have no vote to cast

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Write in vote for CroCop, Rizin's close enough. His belt has one more dragon on it than YAMATO's so he's clearly better

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Yeah and this lead to 2014 and 2015 Decembers to rightfully be won by Dragon Gate guys off the heels of great Final Gate matches. But this year we had the weakest ODG champ in memory and what I thought was a middling defense, so I went with a non-DG wrestler (Io) for the first time in memory.

I've only watched DG for a few years but I still remember bxb hulk :colbert:

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 1, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One more day to vote, AJ has a strong but not unassailable lead over Alexa Bliss. Alexa has a strong but not unassailable lead over Io. Nothing is quite set in stone yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Io is the best, I want to kiss her face and tell her its ok to be a heel

• Locked thread