Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Let's not pretend there's any way this company would have been saved

No, but Eddie Lampert didn't help. The guy is a huge Randite who got rich quick and then imagined himself a restructuring genius and, as well all discovered, his Mad Max Thunderdome management style loving sucks.

He's losing hand over fist and refuses the face the fact that the increased decline is almost entirely his fault. He could've literally done ANYTHING but what he did and Sears probably would've done way better. Hell, when he pushed to purchase Sears as controlling interest in K-Mart, K-Mart was already in decline while Target was re-imagining itself and is now doing okay.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2016/02/11/the-5-ways-ed-lampert-destroyed-sears/#23ad43c841de

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

their ratchet bodies are pretty much the same.

fwiw horror freight sockets hold up better than my snap offs do.

Honestly, my fav sockets are the harbor freight rainbow sockets. Those are my go to for wrenching. I'd take the Pepsi challenge on those vs my Mac/snap on's. When I'm under a car/low light areas or if my kids are helping me, it's easier to grab/tell them a color than it is to name different sizes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sears?

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no really though gently caress that place

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CommieGIR posted:

Target was re-imagining itself and is now doing okay.

Not in canada :v:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

BraveUlysses posted:

Call me an optimist but I think not envisioning a corporate structure where each and every department has to face off against each other in a thunderdome challenge might have been enough to keep it afloat.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Crustashio posted:

Not in canada :v:

I heard K-Mart was doing well in Canada. Is this true?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

No, but Eddie Lampert didn't help. The guy is a huge Randite who got rich quick and then imagined himself a restructuring genius and, as well all discovered, his Mad Max Thunderdome management style loving sucks.

He's losing hand over fist and refuses the face the fact that the increased decline is almost entirely his fault. He could've literally done ANYTHING but what he did and Sears probably would've done way better. Hell, when he pushed to purchase Sears as controlling interest in K-Mart, K-Mart was already in decline while Target was re-imagining itself and is now doing okay.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2016/02/11/the-5-ways-ed-lampert-destroyed-sears/#23ad43c841de

I really don't mean anything by this, but:

whenever I read the chat thread Im either on my phone with no avatars or im on my work computer with no avatars per the settings.

because of this i dont usually pay attention to the name of the poster.

whenever im like "hey this sounds like something CommieGIR woulf say" i scroll up and 100% of the time it's CommieGIR

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

mariooncrack posted:

I heard K-Mart was doing well in Canada. Is this true?

It basically became target ironically.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
On the subject of tools and tires, does anyone do tires at home? I keep going back and forth on the idea. A new Chinese machine and balancer combo with motorcycle adapters would set me back about $2500 from Greg smith equipment, or I could piece together a setup of CL for slightly less. eBay has a balancer and machine combo for about $1200 shipped but I would need to get MC adapters and service would not be available locally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Call me an optimist but I think not envisioning a corporate structure where each and every department has to face off against each other in a thunderdome challenge might have been enough to keep it afloat.

I'm surprised he hasn't washed his hands of the whole thing after dumping millions of his own cash into it while watching it slump further.

Adiabatic posted:

whenever im like "hey this sounds like something CommieGIR woulf say" i scroll up and 100% of the time it's CommieGIR

Well, I guess at least I'm recognizable, for better or for worse.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 3, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

rdb posted:

On the subject of tools and tires, does anyone do tires at home? I keep going back and forth on the idea. A new Chinese machine and balancer combo with motorcycle adapters would set me back about $2500 from Greg smith equipment, or I could piece together a setup of CL for slightly less. eBay has a balancer and machine combo for about $1200 shipped but I would need to get MC adapters and service would not be available locally.

I do the tires for my kart myself and it'd be a hard sell getting me to do tires for a car even if the equipment was free. If a rim gets banged up a bit the tire never seats properly and its horribly un-nerving putting over the recommended PSI limit into a tire to get one little edge to seat. If you're doing it constantly like I am for my kart its probably worth it but for me getting a new set of tires every couple of years I'd just pay the labor for a shop to do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got a new (to me) car today. First car I've ever owned with a key fob :3:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You poor lost soul! Return to the land of good and pure keys.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Oooh what did you get? Congrats regardless.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Cached Money posted:

The engine's a M102 right? Have you checked the coolant temp sensor? I heard those are a common cause of uneven operation, however this sounds like it's worse than the misfire mine has.

Yeah, it's an M102.

Cap, rotor and new plugs solved the no-start!

So it's back to the usual behaviour: takes-two-tries-to-start, requires a dab of accelerator at the right time to go, and then cold idles at 800ish.

That's two votes for the CTS, so I might test that next :)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

1500quidporsche posted:

I do the tires for my kart myself and it'd be a hard sell getting me to do tires for a car even if the equipment was free. If a rim gets banged up a bit the tire never seats properly and its horribly un-nerving putting over the recommended PSI limit into a tire to get one little edge to seat. If you're doing it constantly like I am for my kart its probably worth it but for me getting a new set of tires every couple of years I'd just pay the labor for a shop to do it.

I probably go through at least 8 tires a year between trailers, car, truck, tractors, mowers, motorcycle etc. More often than that I wind up breaking beads to replace a valve stem or do a pull through patch. Seating the beads is not a problem.

Financially it would probably take 3-5 years to "pay" for itself in tire and labor savings, but the being able to do them on my own schedule would be really nice.

Do the machines have to be lagged into concrete?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Oooh what did you get? Congrats regardless.

2012 Scion Xb in Army Rock (cool color name huh)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

They would've needed to go super aggressive on an actual online makeover, not the garbage rewards program that they have now. They could've treated each store as a local warehouse and already been much closer to quick delivery than Amazon was. Would've put that real estate to good use.

It's just bizarre to me because the original Sears model is along the same lines of what Amazon does today - be as close to a one stop shop for delivery as possible.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Instead they're where I park if I absolutely have to go to the mall because there's no one there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stop stealing my points damnit IoC :argh:

Sears was the amazon of the last 150 years. If they hadn't flubbed the internet so hard they could have been the amazon of the last 10 years and the next 50, too.

Innovate or die.

Same goes for radioshack vs amazon, digikey, and adafruit/similar maker electronics sources, too. Radioshack failed to innovate and they are a dead shell of their former selves today as a result.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Borders died because they refused to work with Amazon. Amazon approached them about using their warehouse infrastructure and Borders laughed it off.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

2012 Scion Xb in Army Rock (cool color name huh)

Does that have the smaller corolla type engine or the 2.4 that went it the rav4. They are known for having headbolts come loose in the head.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

clam ache posted:

Does that have the smaller corolla type engine or the 2.4 that went it the rav4. They are known for having headbolts come loose in the head.

The 2.4. Watch your oil consumption too, as they love burning oil.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

The 2.4. Watch your oil consumption too, as they love burning oil.

The XB comes with that ? I thought it had the smaller motor? Oh well Leica is no stranger to toyotas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Innovate and disrupt are two of the stupidest words that are thrown around

Borders and RadioShack didn't fail because they weren't innovative, they failed because they absolutely refused to shift their strategy (or pivot, another dumb buzzword) to something that met their customers demands

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

supposedly Toyota had fixed the oil consumption for the 2012 model year. According to the TSB, anyway.

clam ache posted:

The XB comes with that ? I thought it had the smaller motor? Oh well Leica is no stranger to toyotas.

I'm just as surprised as you are at learning this, but google says 2.4 on that model year.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

Radioshack failed to innovate and they are a dead shell of their former selves today as a result.

I dont think Radioshack was a lack of innovation - it died the same way Dick Smith died. it tried to move into more of a whitegoods market and phones, while ignoring the traditional hard to find bits n pieces electronics that were the real backbone of foot traffic.

For example, Dick Smith would have that weird rear end power convertor or odd cable in the corner that you might need once every five years and had TV's and poo poo in another corner. And if you had a 50 year old coax with oddball connection to connect a modern TV, well no problem, Dick Smith and Radioshack had it. So why not buy the TV from there?

It worked for a long time. I know many others like myself I would persist going into Dick Smith even with online options or cheaper places, simply because Dick Smith would be the first port of call for anything I needed. Sure, they had whitegoods but that was more of a nice addition to the weird rear end rows of oddball crap that was just plain useful. When Dick Smith stopped with the weird rear end poo poo and went pure appliances and music, they got their lunch eaten by JB-HiFi. Why on earth would you want to go to Dick Smith without the weird rear end poo poo when JB was cheaper and also had a bigger appliance / music / camera range?

Dick Smith and Radioshack could have expanded to the Internet with the weird rear end poo poo but the real problem was removing the original reason to go to their bricks and mortar stores in the first place. These days it's JB for the wide appliance range, Jaycar for the weird rear end things.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My grandfather on my dad's side basically worked his way from essentially nothing to having left each of his three children a $250k after being retired from Sears for over twenty years.

The store in my hometown still says Sears and Roebuck on the building.

But yeah, over the last decade or so, things have really changed. I remember when you could go to Sears at any time they were open and the store would be crowded. Now, more often than not, you are the only customer in the entire place.

E: I also miss RadioCrap, there's not a single store in this sorry excuse for a city that sells discrete components and I hate having to do 25-50pc minimum buys from digikey and the like. My favourite surplus/electronics type store though is this place in Orlando named Skycraft Parts and Surplus, it's the only thing I truly miss about the US because you could find and buy so much neat poo poo there, and components were sold by weight!

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 3, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
In canada they rebranded as The Source by Circuit CIty and are somehow still going around here. 5 or 6 stores locally and more throughout the province. Last time I was in one no one knew what heatshrink tubing was.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

In canada they rebranded as The Source by Circuit CIty and are somehow still going around here. 5 or 6 stores locally and more throughout the province. Last time I was in one no one knew what heatshrink tubing was.

They always want to know what kind of cellphone you have because it's owned by Bell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Innovate and disrupt are two of the stupidest words that are thrown around

Borders and RadioShack didn't fail because they weren't innovative, they failed because they absolutely refused to shift their strategy (or pivot, another dumb buzzword) to something that met their customers demands

Amazon wanted to partner with Borders but Borders seriously thought that internet sales were a fad. I was a manager at the store here, I saw a lot of the emails and couldn't believe how stupid the execs were.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Amazon wanted to partner with Borders but Borders seriously thought that internet sales were a fad. I was a manager at the store here, I saw a lot of the emails and couldn't believe how stupid the execs were.

I got so many awesome books for pennies when they went down.

Like, had to make multiple trips back and forth to pack it all in the car. Wife was piiiissed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just getting off a derail and into this thread.....

Phuzun posted:

Got a neighbor you don't like, stash a remote controlled room heater in their bush on an outdoors socket. Drive them insane with unexpected huge electric bills.

True story - the rental I was at 11 years ago had a hidden weed hydro set up under it. I literally only found it after I washed the patio and shorted out the entire house.

I was rather puzzled why my power bills were high until that point.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this makes me wonder what the gently caress was going on at my old 600sqft flat because my heat and electric bills are virtually the same if not cheaper and my current house is 2100sqft

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Adiabatic posted:

He's been on my ignore list for many moons, but his posting is at least entertaining. I read 1/3 of his posts via quotes.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

E: I also miss RadioCrap, there's not a single store in this sorry excuse for a city that sells discrete components and I hate having to do 25-50pc minimum buys from digikey and the like.

Maybe this was just because of when I started getting into electronics but my radioshack only had like two 2x2x4' component cabinet things so the selection of each type of component was pretty miserable. If I needed (wanted) a part right loving now I would go there but they probably wouldn't have it or if they did it was ridiculously expensive. I think I bought a 5 pack of resistors from them once and then bought a 1200 piece variety pack off amazon later that day for only slightly more so I would never have to buy a resistor from radioshack again.

It's too bad they died just before the whole 'maker' resurgence but I can just get everything from Amazon in 1-2 days so oh well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

He's been on my ignore list for many moons, but his posting is at least entertaining. I read 1/3 of his posts via quotes.

:(

Well, Congress just gutted the Congressional Ethics Board.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The next few years are gonna suck, hard.

What the gently caress, America?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CommieGIR posted:

Congress had ethics before? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Let's be honest things are going to be a lot better for all us white males but it will suck to be anything else

• Locked thread