Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gavok posted:

Archie works for WWE now.

Good for him.

That season 17 skip is quite a thing to do. With no announcements or anything. But, Ultramantis BLACK is the grand champion, so it's got that going for it.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Quack being really carny has been an open secret dating back to the CZWfans days. For all his wrestling is art stuff, he still is a promoter.

I can understand disappointment when you feel wrestlers aren't been profesional with you, and the awful realities of the economics of running a pro wrestling school and indy promotion, but.....

Pay the guy, talk to him, and work out what to do about lateness. Telling them they're not going to keep getting booked for showing up late too many drat times is one thing, telling them they're not getting paid tonight is another.

DM Punk posted:

CHIKARA is getting just weird for no reason now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUxHUwmN-aE

Aww yeah, just what the promotion needs. More storyline built around the bus of exploding orphans!

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

OGB posted:

Christ, Quack isn't being subtle about his comic nerd roots here.

What should we pay tribute to? I know, one of the most criticized horrifically pointlessly sexist moments in comic book history!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

Triple posting in honor of King of Trios, which is this weekend it seems. I hope it's good!

In the meantime, I wrote up a ten year retrospective on King of Trios because why not.

Cool article, fun read. I'm suprised as a comic book nerd on a nerd website that you don't like the reference comic book covers for so many of the KoT cover arts.

The worst packaging as spoiler that I remember from Chikara was one Young Lions Cup DVD where the images on the DVD where that of the winner with his trophy.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

In the past few weeks they did an Hour of Power and a handful of major shows. The only show left this season is the finale, which will be live on Chikaratopia on December 2. Here's some stuff that's happened:

- Gran Akuma is back because why not.

- Obaryon is gone and from the looks of it, there's some kind of behind-the-scenes fallout with it. He was supposed to take on Merlok on Hour of Power and they even started the episode off with a video package, but then the match of Huckabee vs. Rory Gulak went on for a long while and Quack said that it was bumping Obaryon/Merlok. Whether that was Quack actually bumping the match for novelty's sake or a cover for a no-show, I can't say. On the next installment, they had the match and Obaryon wrestled without facepaint. I was watching it on mute, so I don't know if there was an explanation (from what I read, Dasher on commentary was incredulous that Obaryon was "just some guy"), but Merlok destroyed him and Obaryon is now on the alumni part of the roster page.

- Max Smashmaster retired from wrestling after finally having his blow-off match against Quack. The match had both Bryce and Bakabella as refs, but Quack accidentally knocked out Bryce. Quack got Max in an armbreaker and even though Max tapped, Bakabella refused to acknowledge it. Finally the match ended with Max begging the timekeeper to ring the bell.

- With the Whisper acting as Ophidian, the original Ophidian showed up to attack him while dressed as 17.

- Dasher Hatfield got wins over Moose and Keith Lee, setting him up for a title shot at the finale.

That poo poo sounds stupid. Max Smashmaster's last match in wrestling was him telling the timekeeper "I'm done with being a wrestler, just ring the bell I'm going home"?

What happened with Chikara that it became such a sad place? Apart from the obvious things of taking a year off, then the year of everyone being murdered.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 29, 2017

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

He went out on his back as closure to a two-year-long storyline where the heel had the advantage and still lost decisively. Then a day or so later announced his retirement. Why is that "sad?"

Besides, I've been wanting to see that happen in a match for years. Whenever a face has a submission locked on and there's either a heel manager on the apron or a heel ref refusing to pay attention, the face always lets go like an idiot to argue and ultimately lose. It's refreshing to finally see a face realize that there's no reason to let go.

Sorry, didn't realise it was him submitting to the hold. I'm too used to truly awful wrestling, I assumed that Max got out somehow, and like 3 minutes later Max just asked the timekeeper to let him go home.

Does Solo Darling have a tag title shot, grand title shot, or either?

Xerzes posted:

So...is the evil rockabilly supersoldier the face, or the guy who blew up a busload of orphans?

The Missle Assault MAN is likely the face. He's trying to redeem his past self (I think).

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who are the Ice Creams these days? I know Claudio, Hallowicked and Quack wore the gear at various points. Is it just WF grads these days?

Also, weird realization: CZW and CHIKARA are 1 and 2 as far as who has used Claudio the best in the U.S.

ROH? PWG? And I think if you ask Cesaro he's very happy with his time in the #1 promotion.

syzpid posted:

I'm off Saturday and was thinking about going to this, but..

no interest in Juan whatsoever. I'd love to see Dasher win the championship, but if he doesn't I'll be pissed.
NrG are awful and both need to go
And the only other match I have the slightest bit of interest in is Hallowicked Vs Mr Touchdown because both of them are so good.

I'm probably being cheap, but 20 dollars a ticket plus getting from the burbs in and back is just too much for me. It makes me so sad, because Chikara got me back into wrestling after I stopped watching for 5-7 years, but there's just about nothing going on.

It's $20 you cheap bastard. You'll almost certainly have a great time, head along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

I too am back. Really fun show that did a lot with this season's minuscule storyline action.

- Sylverhawk and Razerhawk defeated Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad. Good opener where Los Ice Creams tried to interfere near the end, but Nytehawk drove them off.

- Proletariat Boar of Moldova vs. Fake Amasis was supposed to happen next. Whisper-as-Ophidian was there, wearing a cast. While "Ophidian" talked to "Amasis" in their corner, 17 (the real Ophidian) entered the ring and stared down Boar. Boar graciously allowed him to take his spot and walked to the back. "Ophidian" told "Amasis" it was nice knowing him and slowly backed away. 17 beat down "Amasis" and broke his arm, much to "Ophidian"'s chagrin.

- Mr. Touchdown defeated Hallowicked. Great match, but felt pointless.

- Dez Pelotin defeated Oleg the Usurper and Kobald. Kobald almost hit Oleg with a foreign object by mistake and Oleg got pinned with a backslide. After the match, Kobald dressed down Oleg for being a loser and hit him with Off With His Head. Oleg got back up and angrily chokeslammed him.

- Gran Akuma defeated Officer Warren Barksdale. During the pre-show, Akuma explained that upon returning to Chikara, he found the new guys to be completely soft. His mission is to harden them one match at a time so that they'll either walk away better or they won't walk away at all.

- Oceana defeated Merlok. Oceana is Ashley Vox, who has evolved into some kind of raging, Aquaman-looking form carrying a giant hook to the ring. As the payoff to their season-long storyline, Oceana kicked the poo poo out of Merlok to the point that he bounced around the ring, treating it like she was the hoss. After a fisherman's suplex off the top rope, she made Merlok tap to some submission hold. Afterwards, Merlok got up, warily stared at Oceana, then knelt before her. He opened the ring ropes for her and followed her to the back.

- The Closers defeated a team of masked jobbers. Rick Roland is finally back from injury. They shredded through the jobbers, who didn't even get an introduction outside of "these guys."

- Hype Rockwell defeated Race Jaxon. The gimmick of the match was that the loser would have to wear a mask from now on. Very good match that ended with the Hyperwheel. Jaxon now wears what looks like a white luchador version of the Gimp's mask from Pulp Fiction, complete with mouth zipper.

- Missile Assault Man defeated Jeremy Leary via countout. MAM acted all confused at first because he thought he was fighting Juke Joint, but then he finally started to dominate Leary. Leary escaped the Missile Launcher, left the ring and sat in the front row. He allowed the 20 count to take place, saying that he wanted to have a front row seat to what was about to happen. Suddenly, three guys in masks, dressed in black and white, appeared and surrounded the ring. MAM stood there, egging them on to fight him. Then this freaky doctor guy walked out behind him and whispered stuff into MAM's ear. MAM, dead-eyed, walked out of the ring and out of the arena.

That freaky doctor guy (who Leary namedropped back in the secret season) looked like an albino Yoda with a surgeon mask on. Sort of like the Jackal from Spider-Man. It was striking for how good the production values of his mask/makeup looked.

- The Rumblebees defeated Crummels and DeFarge. Great match that ended with Solo Darling making Crummels tap to the Sharp Stinger while Huckabee held DeFarge onto the apron with a stretch muffler.

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defeated Dasher Hatfield and retained the Grand Championship. They did everything they could to make it seem like Dasher was going to win, such as having him survive two tiger bombs in a row. JFDC was able to kick out of the Grand Slam (shoulder powerslam off the ropes). In the end, Dasher went for the Jackhammer, but JFDC twisted the mask and rolled him up for the pin. Dasher sat in the ring, dejected and got up to leave as the lights turned on.

No encore match and from what I understand, no post-show teaser vids.

Well, that's......quite a downer of an ending. Seriously, that sounds astoundingly flat.

• Locked thread