Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hello and welcome to 2017. We're going to be trying monthly current events threads for a bit. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work but hey new year, time to shake things up and if we give up after a month it's like every other new year's resolution ever :haw:

:siren:THIS IS A SHITPOST FREE ZONE:siren:

I'm tired of 90% of the drama in this subforum coming from a current events thread. People should be able to discuss the news without folks (myself included) trying to score ideological purity points, people trying to lay and spring traps on other posters or vendetta posting.

If you want to get into circular firing squads over ideological purity there's a forum for that.

If you want to rehash the eternal 2016 primary holy war or the general dumpster fire that is American politics there is a forum for that!

If you want to whine and cry about how SJW's and safe spaces are ruining everything whaddya know! There's an entire website for that!

Absolutely no more discussion of nazis or punching nazis or people talking about punching nazis or anything the current U.S. presidential administration is doing that reminds you of nazis in the current events thread.

Take the train to the ghetto for your fix on hot takes and reverse circlejerks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3807561

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Waking up to D. Trumps twitter dumps every morning is gonna be rough.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Try as he might to insulate himself from criticism it's going to come immediately and hard. And when he doesn't deliver on the promises he made to the hayseeds some of them are going to peel off and start attacking him too. His lovely personality will only make it worse.

It's too late to deny him the presidency but I'm hopeful they can draft something up to deny him a state funeral and other legacy type stuff.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

Waking up to D. Trumps twitter dumps every morning is gonna be rough.

If you just put everything on twitter you can't be hacked right??

If the poo poo he has said on twitter was in Clinton's emails she would get railroaded for it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Obama had one of the most scandal free presidencies of all time. I'm curious just how bad it will be under Donald Trump.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Torrannor posted:

Obama had one of the most scandal free presidencies of all time. I'm curious just how bad it will be under Donald Trump.

He's going to be in violation of his oath and the Constitution the very instant he is sworn in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

He's going to be in violation of his oath and the Constitution the very instant he is sworn in.

Well good news! Basically every institution capable of enforcing either of those is enthusiastically NOT going to enforce either of them, or anything at all. Man 2017 is going to be a real adventure!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Casimir Radon posted:

Try as he might to insulate himself from criticism it's going to come immediately and hard. And when he doesn't deliver on the promises he made to the hayseeds some of them are going to peel off and start attacking him too. His lovely personality will only make it worse.

It's too late to deny him the presidency but I'm hopeful they can draft something up to deny him a state funeral and other legacy type stuff.

Just after his death, people were talking about what a great statesman Nixon was.

:barf:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Torrannor posted:

The Trump Presidency will make the Grant Presidency look like one of the cleanest, least corrupt, most professional times in American history.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Actually he will be too busy cleaning up Obama's mess to do the things he promised, and by the time he is done he will have lost the majority and won't be able to get anything to pass.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TBeats posted:

Actually he will be too busy cleaning up Obama's mess to do the things he promised, and by the time he is done he will have lost the majority and won't be able to get anything to pass.

He's a pretty good fiction writer so I'm sure he'll manage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm loving the slowly-dawning revelation that if they repeal Obamacare they're loving themselves over.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm loving the slowly-dawning revelation that if they repeal Obamacare they're loving themselves over.

They are going to do it anyway because its like 80% of what the majority of their constituency wanted. Well, in the heat of the moment anyways. The only way its not going to get repealed is if it gets watered down in committee and the majority leaders get to point to the Dems saying its not far enough.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Actually, there's been quite a bit of reporting by Sarah Kliff over at Vox that Trump voters like Obamacare but also don't believe Trump would take insurance coverage away. Where exactly this sentiment comes from is unclear but it does appear to be a mixture of partisanship, blatant obfuscation by Republicans (Kentucky, for instance, does NOT call it's exchange Obamacare or anything close. It's Kentucky Care :hurr: so people aren't fully informed of where these benefits are coming from), and a general belief that their politicians will do the right thing for their constituents.

So everyone in red states are in for a nice surprise in 2017.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Or they could do the incredibly cynical thing and repeal it but delay implementation until after the midterms.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

SquirrelyPSU posted:

They are going to do it anyway because its like 80% of what the majority of their constituency wanted. Well, in the heat of the moment anyways. The only way its not going to get repealed is if it gets watered down in committee and the majority leaders get to point to the Dems saying its not far enough.

Repealing ACA is fairly unpopular, actually. The only thing people don't like is the mandate and fine for non-participation, but those elements are crucial to keeping ACA propped up. In short, ACA is a massive house of cards and repeal of the "bad" results I. The whole thing collapsing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Repealing ACA is fairly unpopular, actually. The only thing people don't like is the mandate and fine for non-participation, but those elements are crucial to keeping ACA propped up. In short, ACA is a massive house of cards and repeal of the "bad" results I. The whole thing collapsing.

Did republicans come up with any viable and realistic alternative or compromise between the time the ACA was originally proposed to the time it went into effect?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Replace it with single-payer :bernin:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You guys are dumb. They are going to pass a bill with the exact same text but call it something different like "American Freedom Healthcare 9000: Gold Edition." You think I'm joking, loving watch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Or they could do the incredibly cynical thing and repeal it but delay implementation until after the midterms.

Which, given it being the likeliest current direction, has been studied and appears to generally cause the complete collapse of the healthcare markets anyway.

Edit:

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

You guys are dumb. They are going to pass a bill with the exact same text but call it something different like "American Freedom Healthcare 9000: Gold Edition." You think I'm joking, loving watch.

This is where I've been heading in terms of expectations. It'll be hilarious, however, when there's just as much uproar over it as there are a significant number of Trump voters who just want the insurance requirement gone. There's a significant cohort of voters out there who are caught in the expansion hole (too poor to afford coverage, even with subsidies but the states haven't expanded medicaid coverage because republicans are dumb). These people literally can't afford the insurance they have to buy.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 31, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Trumpcare"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Paul Ryan wants to pretty much destroy the ACA, Medicare and Medicaid and I don't think there are enough sane people with (R) beside their name to tell him just how hilariously unpopular it will be with his constituency once they realize their healthcare is going bye bye

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

Did republicans come up with any viable and realistic alternative or compromise between the time the ACA was originally proposed to the time it went into effect?

Not at all. They spent basically every moment of effort on the topic screaming about how bad the crypto-Kenyan triple-Hitler secret communist usurper-in-chief was and how we need to repeal his Obamacare strangling this nation.

I really see the repeal as being the first major test of what path the country is going to being headed down. Not the last test, but the first.

Under old-school GOP politics they would do the most cynical thing that could possibly be imagined. They would "repeal" the ACA by removing line 4 of subsection 17.3 of paragraph 207 or some poo poo that nobody has the time to read and understand except health insurance lobbyists. Those people will stand to pull billions of dollars out of the country with that one change, and health care for everybody not in the 1% will continue to get shittier. They'll then take the same stack of paper that was titled "Affordable Care Act" and a golden sharpie will cross out the name then write "Trumpcare". The marching orders will come down through Fox et al. about how many jobs are being created by those billions in profit taken out of their wallets and how America now has the healthcare the rest of the world envies and everyone will end up a huge fan of this new piece of legislation and it needs to be defended to the death to keep Lieberal Scum from ruining it with something like single payer.

BUT

I'm not so sure the old-school GOP thought process is in charge anymore. I have a really, really bad feeling that the inmates truly do run the asylum now and that the time and bullshit necessary to set up that kind of "repeal" and "replace" is not going to be allowed to happen. If the hate-fueled, batshit core of the GOP is wagging the dog now one of the first things I'm afraid they'll gently caress up is demanding that their great orange god rip that poo poo out root and branch RIGHT NOW to crush their enemies and prove themselves victorious in conquest. gently caress the consequences, do it now, crush the "Other" because we won.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Paul Ryan wants to pretty much destroy the ACA, Medicare and Medicaid and I don't think there are enough sane people with (R) beside their name to tell him just how hilariously unpopular it will be with his constituency once they realize their healthcare is going bye bye

Was never sure what he wanted instead. What good would that do the people of the US? Honest question.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

There will be more block granting and HSA bullshit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Since this is my fav current events thread and there was some talk about the opiod crisis in the dearly departed 2016 thread I thought I'd share this article about a day in the life of an area that is being just devastated by this fentanyl/carfentanil epidemic

Cheque day in the Vancouver Downtown East side

Something big has gotta be done about this, it's ridiculous.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

There will be more block granting and HSA bullshit.

The cap on employer contributions to premiums is going to piss a lot of people off, too. The company I'm about to start with offers a low-deductible PPO at no cost to the employee, but kiss poo poo like that goodbye.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Was never sure what he wanted instead. What good would that do the people of the US? Honest question.

There is no instead, they want it left to the free market. People like Ryan don't want to change government assistance programs, they want to eliminate them entirely.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

There is no instead, they want it left to the free market. People like Ryan don't want to change government assistance programs, they want to eliminate them entirely.

isn't that the definition of libertarian

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

Fun Fact: Paul Ryan makes interns read Atlas Shrugged if they want to work for him.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

Except libertarians don't want the government getting involved in other poo poo, either. Ryan is more than willing to accommodate social conservatives.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Its the intersection of libertarianism, corporatism and assholes who hate someone getting something they aren't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Who is electing people that actively is trying to make their lives worse?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

The term is "pulling the ladder up behind you." Ryan went to college on Social Security survivor's benefits.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

Politics is like sports. My step dad is a die hard gator fan and would be no matter what anyone on the team does. Even if they pulled a Penn State.

He is the same about being a republican.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

priznat posted:

Since this is my fav current events thread and there was some talk about the opiod crisis in the dearly departed 2016 thread I thought I'd share this article about a day in the life of an area that is being just devastated by this fentanyl/carfentanil epidemic

Cheque day in the Vancouver Downtown East side

Something big has gotta be done about this, it's ridiculous.

I was reading the wikipedia page on naloxone (the stuff that reverses opioid ODs) and this part stood out to me:

quote:

Naloxone is available as a generic medication.[1] Its wholesale price in the developing world is between US$0.50 and 5.30 per dose.[8] The vials of medication are not very expensive (less than 25 USD) in the United States.[9] The price for a package of two auto-injectors; however, has increased from $690 in 2014 to $4,500 in 2016.[10]

I hate pharmaceutical companies so much

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
If I remember correctly, Epi-pen prices spiked just recently as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

None of us are as dumb as all of us.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I was reading the wikipedia page on naloxone (the stuff that reverses opioid ODs) and this part stood out to me:

I hate pharmaceutical companies so much

They couldn't just make a simple autoinjector!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/815185071317676033

:thumbsup:

• Locked thread