Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Just got a news alert that Trump's about to announce his SCOTUS pick. I'm going to keep listening to Converge and drinking boxed wine; looking forward to reading posts here that will let me know if I'll be able to own an AR-15 in DC at the expense of my partner's reproductive rights. ~.~.~.thankzzz~.~.~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Pittsburgh news media was reporting earlier that Hardiman had posted on his Twitter bio that he was a SCOTUS nominee. I'll try to dig up the thing in a sec.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also don't watch the announcement. Don't give him the ratings satisfaction. It's not like it won't be 30 minutes of cockteasing anyways and be all over every news outlet the moment it is announced.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's with applause bullshit?
edit;
He went with Gorsich

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh goody, another Scalia

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Dude is 49 years old.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gorsuch

How many Dems are willing to die to hold this hill?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

MRC48B posted:

Probably the same number of people in this thread who would reenlist/recommission today.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MRC48B posted:

They're not going to hold any hill because the Democratic party is packed to the gills with spineless centrists who think bipartisanship is the greatest thing ever

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
While I get that the sitting Supreme Court Justices on the left side of the aisle want to keep doing what they're doing for as long as they believe themselves capable, it's hard not to hate those over loving 75 for not resigning during Obama's time in office. Admin should also have raised more of a fuss about GOP-controlled Congress shirking its duty to consider the president's nominee for blatantly political reasons.

At this point, I wouldn't blame the Dems for responding in kind for Trump's nomination... it would accelerate the country's descent further toward full-blown crisis, but it's difficult to see anything having a chance of being resolved without fundamental upheaval in the way our government works. With half the voting public still strong behind the GOP despite their deliberate and overt efforts to destroy our institutions, it's hard to see that upheaval being painless—nor is it a forgone conclusion the outcome will be positive.

Here's hoping voters come to their senses by the midterms and flip Congress. I won't hold my breath.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
For the record, I was basing my thought that Gorsuch might be better on him being more consistent in his principles and prior jurisprudence. I'm not really an expert on either him or Hardiman, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't know anything about either of them, but them being on Trump's short list tells me they're both probably poo poo.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

facialimpediment posted:

This video at 0:15 is very, very scary and not just because Trump's in it.

https://twitter.com/dorseyshaw/status/826536746011807744

Rudy's directly across him from the table and Donnie has no idea where Rudy is. Weeeeeeeeird.

Was Reagan this bad while he was in?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lol this Blumenthal guy is a democrat?

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/826606789630316544

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Block any SC nominee who isn't Merrick Garland imo.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kuroyama posted:

Was Reagan this bad while he was in?

I'm old enough to remember: Towards the end, yeah he was bad/a lil worse.

That being said: Reagan was not this overtly gross right off the goddamn bat.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah hes from CT, and normally not a bad dude. idk wtf this is

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lol you guys are so going nazi germany and i feel like poland, gently caress

at least we have a giant (cold) wasteland to hide out in

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ahh

quote:

Republicans could retaliate by using the so-called "nuclear option" to lower the threshold to break a filibuster of a Supreme Court pick from 60 to 51 and easily fill this vacancy and others to come. In 2013, Democrats used the nuclear option over the objection of Republicans when they lowered the threshold to break filibusters for executive branch appointments and all other judicial nominations except the Supreme Court.

dems are scared of this and weighing fighting this battle or waiting for the next big one

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Godholio posted:

I don't know anything about either of them, but them being on Trump's short list tells me they're both probably poo poo.

Oh neither of them are GOOD, I'm just like, which one is likely to cause less fundamental damage to the structure of the court? Which one is more likely to be a consistent JUDGE as opposed to a blatantly partisan hack? And while I hate everything he stands for I think it's Gorsich over Hardiman in that metric.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah hes from CT, and normally not a bad dude. idk wtf this is
Probably some "high road" bullshit

edit: This is what I was hoping for with the Senate confirmations. Warren et al voted for Carson maybe with the thought they would get someone to cross the aisle against DeVos but lol nope

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 1, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I hope the nuclear option actually involves nukes

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

shyduck posted:

I hope the nuclear option actually involves nukes

It's really what we deserve as a species.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh neither of them are GOOD, I'm just like, which one is likely to cause less fundamental damage to the structure of the court? Which one is more likely to be a consistent JUDGE as opposed to a blatantly partisan hack? And while I hate everything he stands for I think it's Gorsich over Hardiman in that metric.

I think Gorsuch will be more ideologically consistent, which is bad. Hardiman grew up blue collar, is married to an active dem and travels in both circles.
On the other hand, Gorsuch doesn't like EOs or deferring to federal agencies - which would be helpful now, IF he could be ideologically neutral about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Scalia hated expanding federal authority unless it was for his pet cause, too

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

oh for gently caress's sake

Jerry Falwell Jr. Says He Will Lead Federal Task Force on Higher-Ed Policy

:suicide101:

Edit:

oh I was beaten, welp!

Beeb fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 1, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/RepMarkTakano/status/826600879432282112

This is some quality snark

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

First death directly caused by the muslim ban?
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/232856168-story

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shyduck posted:

This is some quality snark

My favorite:

https://twitter.com/GuyEndoreKaiser/status/826602570995032064

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

I can't wait to go to work tomorrow.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gottammit!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What really worries me is that he's 49 years old. We're looking at 40+ years of him being on the SC.

At this point though I'm glad he didn't nominate a literal loving nazi.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:(

There's a Muslim girl in the class I'm taking and I flagged her down after class and said that no matter what happens I have her back. She looked like she was about to burst into tears, said thank you and gave me a hug :feelsgood:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Reverand maynard posted:

What really worries me is that he's 49 years old. We're looking at 40+ years of him being on the SC.

At this point though I'm glad he didn't nominate a literal loving nazi.

I think the Dems need to get over themselves being butthurt about Merrick and okay this guy. He's probably heads and shoulders above the next guy Trumpf will toss in, and I smell the judge-genes of Anthony Kennedy and.... Whizzer White ffs? How old was Gorsuch when he clerked for that guy? 5? I thought he retired decades ago...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone give me a real quick pros/cons and stance issue on the SC nominee?

The first con is that he is a Trump Choice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently there was a protest at school today in support of the 10 affected students from out campus. I'd probably have gone had I known.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MRC48B posted:

quote:

In 2002, Gorsuch penned an op-ed criticizing the Senate for delaying the nomination of Merrick Garland to the DC Court of Appeals, writing that "the most impressive judicial nominees are grossly mistreated".

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

Dude lives in Boulder. Home of killer weed and every gender studies major in Colorado. Secret Liberal?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lmao
http://www.ksla.com/story/34384941/neighbors-concerned-by-hanging-trump-effigy

bulletsponge13 posted:

pros
  • loving nothing

cons
  • don't loving appease the piece of poo poo
  • the seat should have gone to obama's nominee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

How about some news from Afghanistan!

https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/826592168399745025

quote:

KABUL, Afghanistan — American airstrikes hit Taliban positions in an embattled district of Helmand Province in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday after the militants tunneled under an army post and set off explosives, causing heavy casualties, Afghan officials said.

The toll from the explosions that rocked army posts in the town center of the Sangin district, which has been the scene of intense fighting for two days, was not immediately clear. Afghan officials said 10 to more than 20 soldiers had been killed, with many others unaccounted for. A Defense Ministry official, however, played down those numbers.

Brig. Gen. Charles H. Cleveland, a spokesman for American forces in Afghanistan, said the United States military had carried out approximately 10 airstrikes in and around the town of Sangin, where Helmand’s main market and seat of government are, in the past 24 hours. “We are continuing to focus closely on Sangin, and Helmand at large, to help our Afghan partners,” General Cleveland said.

• Locked thread