Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

priznat posted:

Since this is my fav current events thread and there was some talk about the opiod crisis in the dearly departed 2016 thread I thought I'd share this article about a day in the life of an area that is being just devastated by this fentanyl/carfentanil epidemic

Cheque day in the Vancouver Downtown East side

Something big has gotta be done about this, it's ridiculous.
Man, that's depressing as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The opioid crisis in this country is absolutely insane and no one gives a poo poo except health care professionals and law enforcement (but mostly for the wrong :cop: reason). DC has seen a fairly large spike in overdose calls/deaths, I can only imagine how bad it is in the Midwest where they're further away from a wholesale source.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Always a good time shoving narcan up someone's nose to bring them back from almost-death, then having them promptly and indignantly refuse further medical or substance assistance. You know you'll see them again shortly, and just rinse repeat. I've had multiple users tell me they know we all carry narcan now so they're even more willing to take it even further. poo poo's hosed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Where I live at least 75% of the time when you hear sirens it's responding to an overdose. It's a huge issue and community agencies have no idea what to do about it -- it takes up so much discussion time at coalition meetings that I sit in on.

Of course you have jackasses who insist that we shouldn't be wasting time/resources on saving them like EMT's are just supposed to let people die :sigh:

Shits hosed.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Not to get all ~war on drugs~ because I think we all recognize it's bad and ineffective, but fentanyl and carfentanil are really bad and there's tons of it coming into the country every day because of shady Chinese distributors and organizations that are perfectly happy to mix it into their heroin to make a profit, dead customers be damned.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is nothing positive to be done because there is zero will in this country to help anyone, especially people we've spent 40 years degrading at every opportunity

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4pqfYz5rEA

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The cynical side of me thinks because it's impacting ~real America~ (read: white people) people might start to care but as we've all seen people are perfectly content to go against their own self interests as long as they have someone they can see themselves as being superior to.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
:canada:

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/pilot-was-allegedly-impaired-passed-out-in-cockpit-at-calgary-airport-1.3223313

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The opioid crisis is basically America in a nice, neat and tidy little representative package. It's only on the evening news because now white people are starting to overdose and die. White people are doing it in record numbers now because the financial costs of over half a century of skull-loving anyone not in the 1% can no longer be compensated for. At first with increased labor participation from both spouses in the "average" relationship across the country. Then when that ran out, wages continued stagnating and labor continued to get skull hosed the compensatory mechanism was credit. Now we're reaching the end of that as a system of compensation and there's nowhere else to go but bankruptcy. Wages have only gotten worse, there's only two people in a relationship that can work (I suppose until Newt Gingrich and pals get their way and remove child labor laws since that's a thing he's said he wants to do), credit is maxed and there's nowhere to turn except crushing despair and depression. Poverty, despair, depression and no hope for any way out, ever, is like *THE* breeding ground for self destructive addiction behavior. So now it's on the news, everyone's in a panic and there is no solution available that is remotely acceptable either socially or politically.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The cynical side of me thinks because it's impacting ~real America~ (read: white people) people might start to care but as we've all seen people are perfectly content to go against their own self interests as long as they have someone they can see themselves as being superior to.
It is already impacting "Real America". It's probably worse there because they don't want to loving pay for any social programs that might alleviate the problem. They're just content to blame black people. Kids from what could be considered "good" families have been doing heroin for years now.

Edit: I'd say this probably goes back to doctors throwing around narcotics like they're trail mix, while simultaneously being too stupid too recognize drug seeking behavior. Then there's parents who left the stuff laying around where their bored disaffected kids could get to it, and then suddenly can't understand why Billy is sticking a needle in his arm.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 31, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

in Texas people think that building THE WALL is going to make all the drugs stop coming into the US and once Trump throws out all the illegals there wont be any nefarious people shoving drugs down little Bladen's throat

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

in Texas people think that building THE WALL is going to make all the drugs stop coming into the US and once Trump throws out all the illegals there wont be any nefarious people shoving drugs down little Bladen's throat

And when none of this happens they will still blame Obama.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TBeats posted:

And when none of this happens they will still blame Obama.

No they'll blame Democrats/liberals and the decent into fascism will go full swing. :sigh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
basically social media is going to turn into poors selling dogs out of their spare bedroom puppy mill and using gofundme to pay for basic medical costs

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

It's only impacting poor white people, though, and poor white people are the most unsympatheic group toward their own plight. When I was recently in Ohio I had three separate people tell me that EMTs should stop carrying narcan because if people are gonna OD then they might as well let them die.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Untagged posted:

Always a good time shoving narcan up someone's nose to bring them back from almost-death, then having them promptly and indignantly refuse further medical or substance assistance. You know you'll see them again shortly, and just rinse repeat. I've had multiple users tell me they know we all carry narcan now so they're even more willing to take it even further. poo poo's hosed.

So I'm going to assume narcan and the like are probably not really good for you, and, you know, that whole elephant drug overdose thing. How many times can you do that to someone before their body just says gently caress it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm rewriting that scene in planescape torment with the sensate stones

election night with trump victory is the new 'slowly dawning horror'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proud Christian Mom posted:

basically social media is going to turn into poors selling dogs out of their spare bedroom puppy mill and using gofundme to pay for basic medical costs

this is pretty much happening already though

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

not caring here posted:

So I'm going to assume narcan and the like are probably not really good for you, and, you know, that whole elephant drug overdose thing. How many times can you do that to someone before their body just says gently caress it?

I'm not sure if there is a tolerance issue related to narcan (naloxone). From what I've seen it's more about dosage vs. the person vs. the level of opioids they have ingested. It blocks the receptors for a period of time. Sometimes it takes one shot, sometimes two or three. I think you are more likely to see someone stop needing narcan by way of treatment, or death, before an issue with the narcan's potency arises.

Guy I work with just got a life saving award for administering narcan and doing CPR to bring someone back to life from an OD. The victim couldn't make the ceremony though because they had OD'd and died a week after the save. :ssh:.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're knowingly screwing around with carfentanil your days are numbered anyway. poo poo's so potent you might as well be in full hazmat to handle it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

not caring here posted:

That's not really how Narcan works, tolerance to it isn't really a concern. The bigger concern is people seeing Narcan as a safety net and allowing themselves to step further over that line into dangerous dosages believing they'll be saved by the timely arrival of first responders.

Also it's expensive as gently caress for agencies to purchase.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

'Many wounded' in Istanbul nightclub attack

quote:

NTV said around 20 to 30 people may have been wounded in the attack, which took place in the Reina nightclub, in the Ortakoy area, at about 01:30 local time (23:30 GMT).

The channel says two attackers were involved, while CNN Turk reported they were dressed in Santa costumes.

Unconfirmed reports say one attacker may still be inside.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It's not even 2017 for the entire world and we already have some assholes entering the Shithead Olympics:

https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/815336905776726016

Apparently a lot of injuries, no deaths reported yet, one gunmen dead and the other reportedly on the loose.

edit: beaten

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

suboptimal posted:

It's not even 2017 for the entire world and we already have some assholes entering the Shithead Olympics:

Apparently a lot of injuries, no deaths reported yet, one gunmen dead and the other reportedly on the loose.

I the guy trying to engage the Nazi twitter guy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

suboptimal posted:

Apparently 35 dead according to WaPo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vasudus posted:

If you're knowingly screwing around with carfentanil your days are numbered anyway. poo poo's so potent you might as well be in full hazmat to handle it.

The reason people are dropping like flies from it is because heroin distributors and the like realized they can cut their product with 1/10000th the amount of carfentanyl and get similar potency. The problem is they don't care enough to measure that accurately, and the difference between one and ten micrograms of carfentanyl is an ER trip.

The fentanyl scare started taking off here when white kids started ODing on it, and then promptly dropped off once drug distributors started just importing bricks of carfentanyl and pulling them off literal boats from China at the port of Vancouver unnoticed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Wasn't there a news story from last year where the Canadian police in Ontario confiscated some ludicrous amount of that stuff, like a hundred pounds or more?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

No, it was 1.45 kilograms. :stonk:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Well, easy mistake. Moon units and all.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
2016 got another one.

William Christopher aka Father Mulcahy from M.A.S.H died of cancer today.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

When only like five salt grains of that poo poo is enough to kill you...

Moon units heh.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Happy loving new year.

35 people got killed at a nightclub in Istanbul. http://bigstory.ap.org/article/643830e3d74f4c668ac19b177126d862/several-wounded-new-years-attack-istanbul-night-club

Happy New Year motherfuckers, welcome to 2017.

EDIT: poo poo, beaten like a Russian dissident.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can we get a "high score" thread for the string of mass shootings this year?

Or a death pool thread. Because holy poo poo, lots of noteworthy fucks are gonna die this year.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

The reason people are dropping like flies from it is because heroin distributors and the like realized they can cut their product with 1/10000th the amount of carfentanyl and get similar potency. The problem is they don't care enough to measure that accurately, and the difference between one and ten micrograms of carfentanyl is an ER trip.

The fentanyl scare started taking off here when white kids started ODing on it, and then promptly dropped off once drug distributors started just importing bricks of carfentanyl and pulling them off literal boats from China at the port of Vancouver unnoticed.

Distributing pharmaceutical heroin at cost would solve the overdose problem and put black market drug dealers out of business overnight. Addicts don't want to overdose, and if they know the exact dosage of what they're taking very few will. Plus you get the bonus of eliminating most of the petty crime that comes with supporting an expensive habit - heroin costs something like a few cents per gram to produce, but all of the risk in the black market supply chain from interdiction drives that up to something like a hundred dollars by the time it gets to users.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Or a death pool thread. Because holy poo poo, lots of noteworthy fucks are gonna die this year.

Be the change you want to see in the world

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thankfully, legalized pot has pacified me to the point of simply enjoying the orchestrated firebomb of a mess the world is becoming, instead of actively participating.

Besides, wouldn't get too far with just a revolver and cricket bat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shootingtracker.com can provide all your data needs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kazinsal posted:

If it's so strong why cut it with heroin and just sell it as is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thankfully, legalized pot has pacified me to the point of simply enjoying the orchestrated firebomb of a mess the world is becoming, instead of actively participating.

Besides, wouldn't get too far with just a revolver and cricket bat.

I more meant post a thread but you do you man

• Locked thread