Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This isn't some loving stand that the government sets up with "Free Heroin!!" These are programs that are when the addicts don't respond to other forms of treatment and are just stuck on the stuff.

These are programs that have had a good amount of success in Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands with a program starting up in my province of BC.

It's a way to reduce harm to the users and save the taxpayers money by not overloading the health care system. And it can do it fairly compassionately to people who are genuinely suffering. If you can spend 10 minutes in a place like the DTES and think that the people there genuinely want the situation they are in, well then you're a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think I saw a Vice piece on the situation in BC. They don't necessarily provide heroin, but will test any brought in by users to ensure it's "safe" as well as clean needles, cookware, and a safe space to shoot up.

It's not going to get anyone off heroin who does not want to be, but it's pretty decent harm reduction compared to shooting up in some old row house on a semen-encrusted mattress using the needle from the dude next to you after he blacks out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

in some old row house on a semen-encrusted mattress

how was your new years

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=220106

elsewhere posted:

I want to believe Congressman Lindsay Graham spent New Year's Eve shitposting on Something Awful.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

TBeats posted:

how was your new years

Not that bad, that's for drat sure.

I smoked a couple joints in my lovely apartment. Couple months left in this shithole....

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think I saw a Vice piece on the situation in BC. They don't necessarily provide heroin, but will test any brought in by users to ensure it's "safe" as well as clean needles, cookware, and a safe space to shoot up.

It's not going to get anyone off heroin who does not want to be, but it's pretty decent harm reduction compared to shooting up in some old row house on a semen-encrusted mattress using the needle from the dude next to you after he blacks out.

Yeah there has been the supervised injection site for a while now, with a couple temporary ones popping up to help deal with the current crisis. The program to supply prescription heroin started up in September and I don't know how far along it is (poo poo moves slow probably).

The interesting thing is that even the relatively conservative politicians who have to deal with this issue come around to the harm reduction and prescribing heroin directly. Nothing else works, unless you are happy with the alternative of just having a crime infested area that is a money sink in terms of health, housing, infrastructure etc. The addicts don't die quickly enough to have the problem get resolved on its own either.

I think we just need to face facts that there always will be a segment of the population who are totally useless and take steps to ensure they don't cause harm to themselves or others.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

loving :same:

poo poo, I mean I'm actually Lindsey Graham.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know the whole needle exchange thing pisses some people off, and yes it does seem counterproductive at face values, but the spread of HIV and other STIs are a greater problem in the long run.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You can't, really. Junkies have always been and will always be. It's not like opium just showed up from a lab one day.

It's wishful thinking at best to think that substance abuse can be eradicated. In terms of saving lives, it's cheaper to let them die right now than save those that seem to not want saving. Besides, it's not like we're in a population shortage.

That probably isn't wrong but I really don't want to live in a society that actively chooses to let addicts die :smith:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Docs freely handing out Norco and Percocet scrips is apparently part of what got us into this mess in the first place. Decriminalization of amounts suitable for individual consumption, sure, I can get on board with that. I can even see the logic in handing out clean needles to people who score their smack elsewhere. But directly providing the means for people to gently caress up their lives isn't something I think makes any sense whatsoever. Should we hand out packs of cigarettes to smokers too?

I'm not really sure where this concept of 'handing out' comes from. I've never been in for treatment for alcoholism, but I'm pretty sure people who are going to be hit by physical withdrawal symptoms will be weaned off it. Providing clean heroin as part of a treatment program with an endgame of getting them off it is a far, far better option than letting them do whatever they have to do to score. You'll see petty crime drop too.

I guess I just have a lot more sympathy for addicts since I've come through AA and met a lot of good people who lost who they were.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Two Finger posted:

That probably isn't wrong but I really don't want to live in a society that actively chooses to let addicts die :smith:

Bootstraps.

Until a lot of wealthy fucks and politicians start seeing family members die off in droves, that's going to be the rally cry. Nothing will change until everyone suffers at least equally, usually disproportionately to the poor.

But what else would you expect from a populace as willfully ignorant as us. We're just lucky Trump isn't Duterte.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

priznat posted:

This isn't some loving stand that the government sets up with "Free Heroin!!" These are programs that are when the addicts don't respond to other forms of treatment and are just stuck on the stuff.

These are programs that have had a good amount of success in Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands with a program starting up in my province of BC.

It's a way to reduce harm to the users and save the taxpayers money by not overloading the health care system. And it can do it fairly compassionately to people who are genuinely suffering. If you can spend 10 minutes in a place like the DTES and think that the people there genuinely want the situation they are in, well then you're a loving idiot.

Ah yes, the old "let's just apply this program which works for 1500 people in Switzerland to [the continent of North America]" solution. Even if we take (1) an anecdote about Evelyn the unicorn junkie who bootstrapped herself to becoming an au pair and (2) a Dutch activist website for proof that free heroin is effective, you completely avoid addressing the real concern about political backlash in the more heterogeneous, more conservative, more populous, less educated, less wealthy countries of Canada and the US.

Moreover, no matter how you dress it up, what you're describing is literally "Free Heroin!!" and will be taken as such by the voting public. The reason treatment programs often fail is that heroin is extremely addictive. You're removing barriers to becoming addicted and handwaving both the real detriment that will pose for public health and the moral/philosophical problem of getting poor people high for free so they quit making embarrassing headlines.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

Ah yes, the old "let's just apply this program which works for 1500 people in Switzerland to [the continent of North America]" solution. Even if we take (1) an anecdote about Evelyn the unicorn junkie who bootstrapped herself to becoming an au pair and (2) a Dutch activist website for proof that free heroin is effective, you completely avoid addressing the real concern about political backlash in the more heterogeneous, more conservative, more populous, less educated, less wealthy countries of Canada and the US.

Moreover, no matter how you dress it up, what you're describing is literally "Free Heroin!!" and will be taken as such by the voting public. The reason treatment programs often fail is that heroin is extremely addictive. You're removing barriers to becoming addicted and handwaving both the real detriment that will pose for public health and the moral/philosophical problem of getting poor people high for free so they quit making embarrassing headlines.

Guess we should just let them die then

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

at the date posted:

did a junkie kill your dog or something

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TBeats posted:

I will contribute to your heroin fund.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jesus people it isn't even the second :cripes:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

I will contribute to your heroin fund.

Shut up, Godholio.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man I'm just glad I don't think like that anymore.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Right, because there are only two options: legalize and distribute heroin gratis, or wall off East Vancouver for a battle royale.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

Right, because there are only two options: legalize and distribute heroin to the masses, or wall off East Vancouver for a battle royale.

Well since you posted two paragraphs about what not to do but nothing about what to do, I can only assume you actually believe this.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Well since you posted two paragraphs about what not to do but nothing about what to do, I can only assume you actually believe this.

I'm arguing that legalization + distribution makes the status quo worse. If a schoolbus is sliding into the river, doing nothing is better than giving it a shove.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

I'm arguing that legalization + distribution makes the status quo worse. If a schoolbus is sliding into the river, doing nothing is better than giving it a shove.

I guess I didn't imply the question hard enough: what do you think should be done?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well at least it wasn't gun chat I guess

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

priznat posted:

Man I'm just glad I don't think like that anymore.

And this sanctimonious poo poo doesn't help anybody. It's easy to propose a simple solution on an Internet forum and handwave political reality. Your idea would create new addicts who would go right back to illegal channels when the Conservatives (or whoever) ride popular resentment of your utopian free drugs program to a majority again.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus people it isn't even the second :cripes:

Look at this guy thinking we can have nice things :allears:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How do treatment centers create new addicts?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nevermind. I need to learn that some people won't have their minds changed.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

I guess I didn't imply the question hard enough: what do you think should be done?

I don't know. I do know there's no silver bullet, no matter what I read in TIME Magazine last month. I don't see a downside, for example, to hiring more EMTs, funding hospitals and methadone clinics, and clean needle distribution. Maybe decriminalizing possession is a part of the process. Making society at large complicit in creating and perpetuating addiction is not a solution, either pragmatically or morally.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Nevermind. I need to learn that some people won't have their minds changed.

lol gently caress off

if you want to argue, argue, but what you've been doing is not it you passive-aggressive little queen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Two Finger posted:

Well at least it wasn't gun chat I guess
Well, we could just take these "defectives" out back and solve their problems for about $0.40 a pop.

Hell, with economies of scale and some lucrative government contracts we could bring down even that price if we're talking large enough numbers. We can include other "people" who are a drain on society such as those who look at their phones while walking, don't wash their hands, and those who believe that Tom Brady did nothing wrong.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Surprised Canada with it's social safety net and UHC still results in a heroin epidemic there, especially since the US looks north for health policy decisions
Considering how much of Canada resembles the Dakotas and rural Maine this makes me wonder how much of their economy is organic, and how much of it is just rich foreigners pumping in cash for real estate and citizenship

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Well, we could just take these "defectives" out back and solve their problems for about $0.40 a pop.

Hell, with economies of scale and some lucrative government contracts we could bring down even that price if we're talking large enough numbers. We can include other "people" who are a drain on society such as those who look at their phones while walking, don't wash their hands, and those who believe that Tom Brady did nothing wrong.

In red China blues (which is a great read btw) the government would bill the family for the bullet. That keeps costs right down!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

lol gently caress off

Thats.. uh.. exactly what I'm doing. I had something posted there but edited it out because look how you're responding just to me saying I'm not going to argue with you anymore you unstable prick.

Your mind won't be changed. Arguing with you about it would be like running into a brick wall over and over again. You might be dumb enough to do that but I'm not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TBeats posted:

Thats.. uh.. exactly what I'm doing. I had something posted there but edited it out because look how you're responding just to me saying I'm not going to argue with you anymore you unstable prick.

You weren't arguing in the first place, just asking a rhetorical question I had already answered. And now you're doing the N4I thing with the :allears:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Like, I dunno, I get that nobody changes minds by arguing on the Internet, but I like having the argument and don't just sigh and throw up my hands at the first sign of disagreement. It's not very sportsmanlike.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

Like, I dunno, I get that your mind and priznat's mind are not going to change, but I like having the argument and don't just sigh and throw up my hands at the first sign of disagreement. It's not very sportsmanlike.
It's the internet brah. I don't care that much.

Here I'll help: you are absolutely right about everything you said.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TBeats posted:

It's the internet brah. I don't care that much.

Here I'll help: you are absolutely right about everything you said.

Christ you're insufferable.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Edit: nvm I was looking at a way old part of the thread and didn't refresh

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Look at this guy thinking we can have nice things :allears:

I don't know what's worse, the slap-fighting (seriously, stop) or the passive aggressive reports that I know are coming :cripes:

I hate all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't know what's worse, the slap-fighting (seriously, stop) or the passive aggressive reports that I know are coming :cripes:

I hate all of you.

Reported for hate speech. :v:

• Locked thread